No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited April 2019 Posts: 3,160
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    Perhaps not the right thread but this looks SO much better. Little too much blue but the movie is actually beautiful to look at.

https://yo.utu.be/bJhf97Xje20

Can someone please make this for the entire film and then have it on blu ray for everyone? ;) It would sell like peanuts for the price of gold. I'd buy it instantly.

Slightly arrogant of that person to assume the original version is not the correct colour!
    Colour correction and colour grading are two completely different things.
    SPECTRE was heavily colorgraded for artistic reasons. The correct colour would be the grade removed, and for example placing the skin tones exactly at the skin tone line in a YUV Vectorscope.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,497
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    Perhaps not the right thread but this looks SO much better. Little too much blue but the movie is actually beautiful to look at.

https://yo.utu.be/bJhf97Xje20

Can someone please make this for the entire film and then have it on blu ray for everyone? ;) It would sell like peanuts for the price of gold. I'd buy it instantly.

Slightly arrogant of that person to assume the original version is not the correct colour! That's the way Sam Mendes made the film. Nothing incorrect about it. Just personal taste, surely? Putting the gun barrel at the end of QOS - I think you can argue that is incorrect as it's contrary to how Bond films are meant to be, but colour grading is purely subjective.

Listen, you've quoted me three times in a row, so I think my point is very much up there to be seen. Subjectivity is the weapon of the untalented, IMO. If everything is subjective, than everything is just fine. Thing is, although I like van Hoytema - even talked with him briefly once - I think the colouring in this particular cinematography is was poor and it worked against the work of the production crew who had so much trouble to make that parade in Mexico colourful and fun. Art is not subjective. Art can be interpreted and analysed and evaluated even, but it's not subjective. A parallax and a different perspective don't make for subjectivity either. Neither does being liberal, as I am. Subjectivity, like I said, is just a weapon for the untalented and the ignorant. Oh, and all artistic choices are, and should always be, open to criticism.

That being said, Univex out. This thread as become toxic again. Will be back for more real news though.

See ya.

PS: about my comments about re editing and re selling the film with bettered colouring, I was clearly kidding and being critical of the original colouring while doing so. It was Mendes film, it is as it is and should be left that way. Obviously!

This never happened to the other follow
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Subjectivity, like I said, is just a weapon for the untalented and the ignorant. Oh, and all artistic choices are, and should always be, open to criticism.

Correct. Having said that I believe SP cinematography stands as one of the best I've seen so far, speaking about blockbusters. The gloomy feeling, the panoramic scope, the thematically pregnant use of light and colors are some of the highlights.

Now that we have Sandgren I believe we are in for another gorgeous looking film. But all the Craig entries had beautiful (yet very different) cinematography so far.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Subjectivity, like I said, is just a weapon for the untalented and the ignorant. Oh, and all artistic choices are, and should always be, open to criticism.

Correct. Having said that I believe SP cinematography stands as one of the best I've seen so far, speaking about blockbusters. The gloomy feeling, the panoramic scope, the thematically pregnant use of light and colors are some of the highlights.

Now that we have Sandgren I believe we are in for another gorgeous looking film. But all the Craig entries had beautiful (yet very different) cinematography so far.

Mr. Roark, we find ourselves in agreement once again. I do like van Hoytema's cinematography for SP. Your markers are spot one. I'm only critical of the colour correction in some places, not all. Actually, it only really bothers me in the Mexico scenes. Wrong thread for this, of course. But I do hope Sandgren will gives us something truly unique. Cheers, my friend.
  • Times have changed. I wouln't mind B25 being a MeToo Bond. As long as there is fun and escapism!
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    check out this video for wild speculation and read the comments for some interesting opinions
  • kg54mvpkg54mvp USA
    Babs said no female 007, why is this being brought up so much? Phoebe will add some good writing, that's it! Maybe an extra female touch.

But looking at the last few bonds, the female leads have been strong, and not inconpetent.

No need for a "me too" bond if it's already up to our age.
    kg54mvp wrote: »
    Babs said no female 007, why is this being brought up so much? Phoebe will add some good writing, that's it! Maybe an extra female touch.

But looking at the last few bonds, the female leads have been strong, and not inconpetent.

If Barbara were reading this thread she'd be laughing so hard about the level of pettiness and presumptions that go around. She could use the entertainment after all the negativity of EON not doing what the so-called fans want to next movie to be. ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    SaintMark wrote: »

If Barbara were reading this thread she'd be laughing so hard about the level of pettiness and presumptions that go around. She could use the entertainment after all the negativity of EON not doing what the so-called fans want to next movie to be. ;)

Bond 25 will destroy James Bond etc. etc.

Yeah it's awful, but the lack of "news" is a bit annoying.

JamesCraig wrote: »

That I can understand. It absolutely can be annoying. I do think no news is good news in this instance, though. The annoyance for me stems from being anxious rather than being worried about some sort of inevitable cockup.
    JamesCraig wrote: »

That I can understand. It absolutely can be annoying. I do think no news is good news in this instance, though. The annoyance for me stems from being anxious rather than being worried about some sort of inevitable cockup.

:-) It's even worse than the speculation about SF.
    Babs said no female 007
    No she never said that. Is it really this difficult to understand the difference between female James Bond (in other words Jane Bond) and a female 007??
    Babs said no female 007
    No she never said that. Is it really this difficult to understand the difference between female James Bond (in other words Jane Bond) and a female 007??

You see, most people, including myself until recently, see the two things as one and the same. Pop culture has generally defined them as one and the same, too.
    Babs said no female 007

And there we go again.

*Sighs and pours Jack Daniels with Cola*
    Babs said no female 007

You're dead right. BB shot down any suggestion of a female James Bond, but not the possibility 007 could (very logically) be reassigned to another agent, male or female. Blimey, we just agreed on something!!!!
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Babs said no female 007

You're dead right. BB shot down any suggestion of a female James Bond, but not the possibility 007 could (very logically) be reassigned to another agent, male or female. Blimey, we just agreed on something!!!!

But nobody ever said that this will actually happen.

And if it does, I wouldn't mind... as long as Bond comes back as the true 007 for the bulk of the movie.

ZOIKS HE NO REAL BONDFANZ
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 1,661
    I think SPECTRE looked great in wee wee yellow. :P
    A source said:

‘Her dialogue is sharp and brilliant. It’s young, it’s fun and it is all about female empowerment.

‘This will be a very modern Bond for the MeToo era.’

What the heck is going on? James Bond is the complete opposite of the MeToo era. He's a masculine hero, he regards women as sexual distractions. Fair enough, if people think that's unacceptable in 2019 but the above quote is, to quote the technical term "utter nonsense." This is what happens when you have a woman producer pandering to the current social climate. She is never going to see Bond through a man's eyes. Like it or not, Ian Fleming was a man. He didn't see Bond through the eyes/mind of a woman. I dunno what's going on with Bond if this claim is true. Time to end the franchise me thinks, or Eon sell their share to Disney and we can have Disney Bond! You know that is the future!

just-say-no1.jpg

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Guys, we don't need this brought up again. Bond 25 will star Daniel Craig who, to my knowledge, is still an XY chromosome specimen.

Can we please return to the B25 discussion?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Babs said no female 007

I believe this is the distinction Anthony Horowitz made in Forever and a Day. Interesting to see if that is something EON saw as an opportunity.
    They could just make a female agent 002 or whatever, and then they could still satisfy equality and metoo. Making her 007 smacks of being a gimmick.
    Still no news on a possible Press Conference date I presume,all ?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Peter said we might get it in two~ish weeks in Jamaica.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 12,837
    vzok wrote: »
    They could just make a female agent 002 or whatever, and then they could still satisfy equality and metoo. Making her 007 smacks of being a gimmick.

I think you're right that the story probably wouldn't be drastically different if she was 002 or whatever, but I wouldn't say it's a gimmick. Making her the new 007 will resonate more with audiences than any other codename would. We've seen a million other random female agents but making her 007 would immediately force the audience to take notice and compare her and Bond, rather than see her as just another Bond girl. I think it'd add to the mentor/student dynamic they seem to be going for by having her be his literal successor and it could lead to some fun exchanges between them. Bet he'll be a bit jealous, could be funny.

So yeah I think it's a cool idea and I'm not sure what people are getting so worked up over. It's not like it's going to be a permanent thing is it. Just a one off to see out the Craig era, like Joseph Gordon Levitt becoming Batman at the end of the Nolan movies.

And does it really matter if Bond is 007 or not anyway? He retired at the end of the last one, the number's available. The important thing is it's still a James Bond film. His codename doesn't really matter does it. Not saying they should permanently change it or give it to someone else for good, that'd be stupid because of the history behind it and iconography of it. But as a one off I don't see the issue and think it could be cool.

There's prescedent in the books as well, kind of. He isn't 007 in YOLT, he's given a new number because he's working for the diplomatic section. And it doesn't make a difference at all, still one of the best Bond novels. So I don't see why we need to worry about whether or not Bond will be reinstated as the "true" 007 by the end of the movie. It won't really affect the film and if he doesn't, I'm sure he'll get his codename back when they reboot with the next actor.
    QBranch wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Peter said we might get it in two~ish weeks in Jamaica.

Aaah I see....thanks Q.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

This statement got me thinking. I am not sure the cinematography (and art direction) in CR is on par with the other three films.
  • RC7RC7
    edited April 2019 Posts: 10,512
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I don’t see what’s wrong with another character having the 007 designation in the beginning. Doesn’t strike me as a cheap ploy but as legitimately surprising/ funny.

It depends how it’s handled. If it’s a ‘cute’, throwaway bit of satire, then I’m ok with it. If it plays into a larger narrative then I’ve no real interest in that, personally. And I couldn’t care less whether it’s a man, woman, trans or a dog it’s essentially a gimmick, so treat it as one - giving it any significant or perceived weight moves us into Brofeld territory.

While I would consider myself relatively progressive, I’m very sceptical (and bored) of a very specific and targeted leftist obsession with iconoclasm in popular culture. ‘Masculine’ characters are still very much needed - and they can still be penned in clever, progressive and interesting ways - and yes by women too. Bond’s success has been through evolution, hence his monumental ability to survive - and long may that continue. Thankfully, Babs doesn’t strike me as the type to pander to bleating revolutionary types.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541
    If a woman/ man gets 007 code what will happen after bond comes out of retirement did he/she die,if he/she does I have nothing to say but yuck very predictable, because it won't serve anything major to the story imo.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 8,009
    TripAces wrote: »

This statement got me thinking. I am not sure the cinematography (and art direction) in CR is on par with the other three films.

Probably not, but I'd like to think of that as a huge compliment to the other films as opposed to an insult for CR, which certainly had its moments too - especially in Montenegro and the Italy scenes later on. Campbell's directing style, which is more direct and less flashy, also plays into it of course. But yes, you're probably right. CR seems to have an old fashioned look to it when watching it these days.

I too am very eager to see what Sandgren brings to the table. He has a strong catalogue of good looking films already under his belt.
    If a woman/ man gets 007 code what will happen after bond comes out of retirement did he/she die,if he/she does I have nothing to say but yuck very predictable, because it won't serve anything major to the story imo.

Unless you're writing the story, you don't know how such a point will serve it.