No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

Did I just make every angry white guy cry?

It's hilarious how so many white men are scared of her.

I just think she's a little bit of a plain and boring white girl. Does little for me.

Why all the anti-white comments?

They aren’t ‘anti’ in the slightest.

I’m just pointing out that there is a clear bias – which comes predominantly from white males – to maintain tradition. Mainly as tradition as institutionally protected and preserved this group.

Any perceived threat to this tradition is instantaneously treated with contempt and is outwardly rejected.

There's nothing wrong in expressing this opinion but the way you do it counts. In my view your posts have crossed a line and reveal a disturbing trend in your dislike of white people and I believe the selected quotes back that up. A complaint is going in.

I had hoped that some posters would have learned their lesson during my absence.

My mistake will be short lived.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,400

I just think she's a little bit of a plain and boring white girl. Does little for me.

I’m just pointing out that there is a clear bias – which comes predominantly from white males – to maintain tradition. Mainly as tradition as institutionally protected and preserved this group.

Any perceived threat to this tradition is instantaneously treated with contempt and is outwardly rejected.

There's nothing wrong in expressing this opinion but the way you do it counts. In my view your posts have crossed a line and reveal a disturbing trend in your dislike of white people and I believe the selected quotes back that up. A complaint is going in.

Complain if you feel offended. i'm just trying to speak about this intelligently.

in the meantime perhaps read this article:

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/a-sociologist-examines-the-white-fragility-that-prevents-white-americans-from-confronting-racism

Speaking as an ethnic minority in a predominately white country, it's come harder and harder to speak about race and gender these days as a culture as emerged on both sides that wants to be inflammatory and tear the other down.

There i also a school of thought, that you can't be racist to a white person. Whislt there are flaws to the argument. Much of it holds up.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/kwzjvz/dear-white-people-please-stop-pretending-reverse-racism-is-real

"Anybody who would want to use or identify something as reverse racist, I would strongly encourage them to stop for a moment... and really think seriously about the last time they really have taken the time to study or get a deep understanding of what racism is and how it impacts different communities."
    Just give it up already.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,756

Complain if you feel offended. i'm just trying to speak about this intelligently.

in the meantime perhaps read this article:

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/a-sociologist-examines-the-white-fragility-that-prevents-white-americans-from-confronting-racism

Speaking as an ethnic minority in a predominately white country, it's come harder and harder to speak about race and gender these days as a culture as emerged on both sides that wants to be inflammatory and tear the other down.

There i also a school of thought, that you can't be racist to a white person. Whislt there are flaws to the argument. Much of it holds up.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/kwzjvz/dear-white-people-please-stop-pretending-reverse-racism-is-real

As a white dude myself I have no problem with your comments. Any secure white person can read your comments and agree because they know they aren't being targetted. If someone says "angry white dude" and you feel targetted, then it says more about you. I learned this lesson the hard way.

That said, racism has no boundaries. But I agree that you simply cant reverse a situation to make a point, as you would be ignoring a lot of fundamental issues. That article you posted is decent but the title really doesn't encourage someone who is fairly closed minded to read it.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,343
    I would be perfectly fine with the idea of a female agent temporarily taking the 007 codename after James Bond departure from the job as seen in SP. The saga needs some new stuff to toy with and after all they did in the past to the character it would be appreciated to keep the Fleming original material stuff out of the discussion.

P.S. Keep in mind that Sassilive.it reported (more than a month ago) that a dialogue scene between Bond and "his successor" will be shot in the church of Santa Maria di Idris in Matera. What if this "successor" character is indeed this "temporarily replacement" at MI6?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Guys, are you serious? This has absolutely no place in this thread. Let's get back to B25.
    Regarding these rumours of
    the new 007
    , how amazing would it be if said character was
    Moneypenny
    ?
    Seriously, I think that would be so cool.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Is anyone else afraid that Bond 25 might be destroyed with
    feminist narrative
    ?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    QQ7 wrote: »
    feminist narrative
    ?

As for now, I am not.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,756
    feminist narrative
    ?

It won't. I trust in Babs not to have anything shoved down our throats.
    Bond will be tortured by the main villain for daring to look at some women in bikini.

The secret organisation will be called MT.

It is soon revealed that this means MeToo.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2019 Posts: 15,423
    I don't think it will be destroyed by any "activist" narrative. For one thing, people said the very same thing when Bond went absent in the first half of the nineties, frightened that political correctness would invade the tents of the 007 franchise. Heck, MAD Magazine even made a parody comic strip with it. And then, we had GoldenEye. Hardly any feminist narrative came to destroy it, did it?

Right now, let's not pass any judgement just yet. Also, let's not forget that female writers have always been on board of the Bond writing team, whether they were credited or not. Most notably, Johanna Harwood who oversaw the first few films of the Connery era. I'm not saying Killing Eve is a groundbreaking show, but it's an enjoyable television series.

Come April 2020 (or whatever the hell the release date becomes), we'll find out and speak then.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited April 2019 Posts: 544
    I'll do as @Univex and leave this boards for a long while until there are more concrete news on Bond 25.

I don't care who is writing the film, could be a man, a woman, a transgender, someone who has not a gender, white, black, Asian... I don't really mind. What I'd like for Bond 25, as I previously stated many times, is a James Bond film starting with the gunbarrel and Bond theme in full volume, an action-packed precredits sequence, very sensual main titles with lots of girls oozing sensuality, a self-confident Bond who seduces the leading girl and vice-versa, a truly evil villain with a bigger ambition beyond killing anyone, Campbell-esque action scenes, GoldenEye-like humour, a happy ending between James and the girl and that's pretty much it.

I don't think that has anything to do with your gender, religion, skin colour, nationality. It has to do with what James Bond has ever been. I'm from Argentina, you know, England's #1 enemy in 1982. However, I never wanted a film where Bond trashes the British imperialism or defends the Argentinean viewpoint of the war and calls the Falklands Islas Malvinas just to please myself* (Wouldn't please myself actually, maybe a bunch of nationalist people around my place, veterans, etc who are not even Bond fans), because that's clearly what a patriot like Bond would never do.

If that makes me a white supremacist, well, I'll take that as a compliement.

People have a hard time separating what they are and what they believe in with what James Bond is and has always been. You don't like Bond being chauvinist? Being a white male? Well, go and watch Jason Bourne!

I'll resume my GoldenEye project for 2020 in the meantime.

Bye, fellas!

*I actually think that, having a Bond film done in Argentina, the Falklands war should serve perfect as a plot. If you want some sort of Fleming's Hugo Drax for the 21st century, as I explained here: https://www.thebondbulletin.com/question-time-in-conversation-with-nicolas-susczyk/

NOTE: Nothing against MI6 and the site. You guys are doing a fantastic job and I'm more than willing to contribute to the magazine and the main site as I've been doing since 2015. But you know, "we are in international waters and we'll defend us if attacked".
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This thread seems to have become an echo chamber of fears based on assumptions. Nothing indicates that this writer has been brought on to give the script a more feminist slant, only more witty, sharper dialog.
    Have I missed something?
    talos7 wrote: »
    This thread seems to have become an echo chamber of fears based on assumptions. Nothing indicates that this writer has been brought on to give the script a more feminist slant, only more witty, sharper dialog.
    Have I missed something?

A good writer has been brought on to sharpen dialogue and humor. Full stop.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Have I missed something?

Yes!

• RC7RC7
    Have I missed something?

Yes!

This.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 5,767
    I don´t see how this Clip Showcases good writing or says anything in favor for women.

feminist narrative
    ?
    No, not really.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I have a good feeling about this film, honestly. It's going to be a good one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Why are some people assuming the PC will be held at the end of this month? @peter said that it will be held in a couple of weeks. A couple of weeks could be 3 weeks, could be 4 weeks... It seems safer to assume it will be held by mid-May.

A couple is two.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,126
    JJPMurphy wrote: »
    1: am sure killing eve is great but..also..i read its premise and thought: fine, ok but..also..unremarkable..am not exactly feeling it as either radically subversive or safely escapist?

2: There is some bandwagon hopping here and the waller bridge phenomenon is exactly that and it is riddled with the KIND of double standards on class and sex and gender that do my head in. However..let's NOT jump to the assumption that Phoebe is writing #met0007..if anything she'd hate that? as do we..that said..

3: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MONOGOMOUS BOND! Provided it is done with glamour, class, sensuality, seduction and a hint of escapist gloss. And incidentally, Tim Dalton was NOT neutered as Bond: he had affairs but they had emotional literacy to them, as should Craig's! Just so long as we all understand that with Bond it never lasts and NOT just because they remake the tired trope of girl getting killed/becoming a baddie etc..

What's most hilarious about your comment is the general distaste of Waller-Bridge based off the fact that she is popular and having a zeitgeisty moment.

Clearly, you haven't seen Killing Eve. If you had you would be overjoyed as it's an irreverent and very mischievous spy thriller. It's not afraid to be a bit camp or ridiculous.

It's very witty and funny. It's much less in line with Daniel Craig's Bond films - and if anything bears a more similar comparison to the Roger Moore films. However, the writing is far far funnier and much wittier.

It makes sense that Waller-Bridge would help polish the dialogue and focus on the female characters (as she writes the so well). She won't overhaul the script, more do her pal Barbara Broccoli a favour. Perhaps, they'll let her do the whole of Bond 26?

People need to get over the fact that a woman can write a Bond film and that there can be a female 007. I'm already bored of reading grown men trying to justify their misogyny with arguments of 'it's not Fleming' or 'goes against tradition'.

Fleming never intended for Bond to be an ageless miracle man who someone gets younger every decade. Yet, we not only accept it, we welcome it. Tradition would dictate that we'd never get a film as bold as CR or SF. Yet we are overjoyed when we get a great new film.

Time to accept change.

@Pierce2Daniel we never said a women can't write a Bond film I just don't want a retired bond being replaced by a woman for the sake of a movement make her 009 that be more fitting after Spectre. How you know what Fleming wanted that he never said that? Just because people have difference of opinion doesn't give you any right to call people sexist when they really aren't and angry white people that's uncalled for and racist just as whites attacking minorities it's just again uncalled for people have a different opinion we have every right to our opinions too so just stop it! Feel like the police on here good grief! We don't have to accept your opinion or else it's sexist just come on grow up! I'm not going to just sitting on sidelines and watch this crap go on. You have your opinion we have our opinion. No more attacking races.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Yeah for sure. We know Craig's ambitions to go out on a high, their desire to make something better than SP, a lot of focus on the writing and a great director. If they can get a really satisfying script, avoid story/focus missteps, and if Fukunaga can deliver on Bond/escapism, it should be great. At the very least, I would expect this to be my favorite since CR, so I share your optimism! Plus Jamaica, I mean come on. Let's get some frickin' sharks in this movie and I will be very happy.
    Dudes (and dudettes??)..you might be misreading me here? I make it PERFECTLY CLEAR that I am NOT reviewing or writing off Phoebe! I just don't like the pitch of the 2 shows she's been skyrocketed to near monopoly on and I found her schtick tiresome in SOLO as the sex droid thingie. Her work, as I understand it, is littered with sex, hokey self indulgent premises and middle class stuff: 3 things that are a no no it seems to many other writers? That! One can be embittered, justifiably, at a zeitgeist whilst rationally recognising one's own failings at objectivity therein. Everyone else loves her work. I cannot stand to even try. There you have it. The end! My point is also that there are MANY other writers out there who would kill to get a go at 007 and have form for similar genre doctoring on scripts, uncredited. Announcing Waller Bridge makes this now about her, rather than Bond and that, to my mind, is far more harmful than tipping a cap towards a relevant and rationale #met007, same way feminism, AIDS et al have been hinted at before in the series without undermining its essence? But at least they did not go with Mercurio or Moffat, I suppose. What I would add is that, by grafting Waller Bridge's lines to the script, and casting a Killing Eve alumnus in Jodie woteva..it DOES, inevitably, make Bond as a BRAND (not as a man) look weakened and reliant for relevance on counterpart series. That mistake gave us Moriarty (note the small world: he is a Fleabag veteran now?!) as a cut price piss poor subsidiary Bond villain in SPECTRE, despite his being a GOOD actor. Also..PLEASE no 'retired Bond' FFS. It's been DONE! It's BORING. It DRAGS THE FILM DOWN. Just have him on extended leave / hols; fine they subbed him (!) and the agent got in spot of bovver..but then let's get down to a MISSION, even if he has to leave Jamaican hideaway with Madeline Blofeld and give up shell collecting / birdwatching to do so! JAMES BOND IS BACK..IN ACTION. NOT 'James Bond..back..inaction' ;) Here endeth the rant. I think we're done here? It's a lovely thread, all nice..zero nasty trolls at first sight?! x
    she's fit though (just not as fit as Lea /Eva) ;)
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    JJPMurphy wrote: »
    Dudes (and dudettes??)..you might be misreading me here? I make it PERFECTLY CLEAR that I am NOT reviewing or writing off Phoebe! I just don't like the pitch of the 2 shows she's been skyrocketed to near monopoly on and I found her schtick tiresome in SOLO as the sex droid thingie. Her work, as I understand it, is littered with sex, hokey self indulgent premises and middle class stuff: 3 things that are a no no it seems to many other writers? That! One can be embittered, justifiably, at a zeitgeist whilst rationally recognising one's own failings at objectivity therein. Everyone else loves her work. I cannot stand to even try. There you have it. The end! My point is also that there are MANY other writers out there who would kill to get a go at 007 and have form for similar genre doctoring on scripts, uncredited. Announcing Waller Bridge makes this now about her, rather than Bond and that, to my mind, is far more harmful than tipping a cap towards a relevant and rationale #met007, same way feminism, AIDS et al have been hinted at before in the series without undermining its essence? But at least they did not go with Mercurio or Moffat, I suppose. What I would add is that, by grafting Waller Bridge's lines to the script, and casting a Killing Eve alumnus in Jodie woteva..it DOES, inevitably, make Bond as a BRAND (not as a man) look weakened and reliant for relevance on counterpart series. That mistake gave us Moriarty (note the small world: he is a Fleabag veteran now?!) as a cut price piss poor subsidiary Bond villain in SPECTRE, despite his being a GOOD actor. Also..PLEASE no 'retired Bond' FFS. It's been DONE! It's BORING. It DRAGS THE FILM DOWN. Just have him on extended leave / hols; fine they subbed him (!) and the agent got in spot of bovver..but then let's get down to a MISSION, even if he has to leave Jamaican hideaway with Madeline Blofeld and give up shell collecting / birdwatching to do so! JAMES BOND IS BACK..IN ACTION. NOT 'James Bond..back..inaction' ;) Here endeth the rant. I think we're done here? It's a lovely thread, all nice..zero nasty trolls at first sight?! x

+1
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 677
    matt_u wrote: »
    P.S. Keep in mind that Sassilive.it reported (more than a month ago) that a dialogue scene between Bond and "his successor" will be shot in the church of Santa Maria di Idris in Matera. What if this "successor" character is indeed this "temporarily replacement" at MI6?
    You make a very good point.

However my question is how would they have access to that information?

Also, I'm so done with the rants over PWB on this thread. Ugh.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Yeah for sure. We know Craig's ambitions to go out on a high, their desire to make something better than SP, a lot of focus on the writing and a great director. If they can get a really satisfying script, avoid story/focus missteps, and if Fukunaga can deliver on Bond/escapism, it should be great. At the very least, I would expect this to be my favorite since CR, so I share your optimism! Plus Jamaica, I mean come on. Let's get some frickin' sharks in this movie and I will be very happy.

The Jamaica news has me excited the most! And a big, hearty, blood soaked +1 on the sharks. I do love my dangerous animals.

And yes, many are taking the script adjustments as a negative and that's fine, as it has often been an indicator of a script that has needed saving. But I don't see it that way at the moment. It seems to be in a good enough shape and if all that needs polishing is dialogue, then there's plenty reason to be confident.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Same. B25 will be epic. Since Dan appeared on Colbert, my excitement has been pretty much consistent (very high).
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    So here is my best guess for contributions by writers

P&W: Basic Plot and Action Set Pieces
    Fukunaga: Tone and more nuanced Plot
    Burns: Bringing the contributions of Fukunaga and P&W together in a cohesive story.
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge: Dialouge and Humour

What do others think?
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    So here is my best guess for contributions by writers

P&W: Basic Plot and Action Set Pieces
    Fukunaga: Tone and more nuanced Plot
    Burns: Bringing the contributions of Fukunaga and P&W together in a cohesive story.
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge: Dialouge and Humour

What do others think?

too many cooks in the kitchen