LTK & TB
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    LTK

&

TB
    LTK
    TB
  • AleanderAleander Kavala, Greece
    Records break all the time. Sweet, and yes. It is a landslide.

LALD beats NSNA 36-3

SF beats TMWTGG 29-10

Round 89:

NSNA vs LTK

and

TB vs TND
    Man, this is unfair.

I will always defend NSNA till my dying breath. Its an immensly underrated entry that deserves as much appreciation as any other. A lot of fans rather like kicking it in the nuts because its easy to demonize it for its McClory association and what not. Its better than almost all of Roger Moore's entries, and then some...

... however, Licence to Kill is one of my top-five Bond films, ever. Its the first, and arguably best modern Bond film. Dalton definitively casts away Roger Moore's shadow and provides with a full texture and nuance that the role lacked in a long while. He's also easily the best actor to ever play the part (and I'm saying this as a huge fan of Connery's performance in NSNA, which is examplary and absolutely fantastic, and a better swan-song than Moore's own AVTAK or Brosnan's DAD).The film itself is also Glen's more refreshingly different, having gone a long way from FYEO till here, and the cast is great, namely Robert Davi in his best performance ever, and one of the five best Bond villains.

In fact, Brandauer's Largo and Davi's Sanchez ARE that decade's best villains for me, purely on the strength of their performances. But, I simply have to give the edge to LTK, as its Bond at its most inventive and unique, whereas NSNA still has the annoying third act autopilot to contend with.

Now, see, if it was NSNA vs TND, I'd choose NSNA in an instant! You see, TND and TB are similarly dispositioned - both are overt action films with huge emphasis on spectacle but without losing its grittiness (indeed, TND is the grittiest remake of YOLT, yet!), and both suffer in the character department. Both pieces' villains are among the series weakest, Largo being largely forgettable beyond his eyepatch (what an immense he was in Brandauer!) and Carver being largely improvised by Pryce himself. The girls are decent, but underdeveloped. Fiona was finely defined, but she should've been in it more (like Blush, as well), and Domino is invisible. TND has a different problem - two great Bond girls, largely undefined. Paris was in it for too short a time, whereas Lin should've been explored far more.

Still, both Bonds are excellent in this, even if they don't have a lot to do. Connery does manage to twist in Bond's emotional insecurity as one final detail in his original interpretation, and Brosnan does try to work that in his Bond, as well, succeeding largely with the Paris material.

Ultimately, I choose TB, because although it has all these problems, it at least has a structure and the story largely makes sense. TND, on the other hand, feels like more than half of it was made on the fly. Indeed, the first third is just as good as Dalton's entries or Brosnan's GE, but after the BMW crashes, so does the film. Machine-gun Bond takes over, and he never looks back. Terence Young, take it away!
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    NSNA

and

TB
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    How far from the finish line are we @Thunderfinger ?

74 more rounds.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thundy's close to the Finnish.
  • LTK

TB
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,598
    NSNA. LTK (although a solid film) tends to be the Bond movie that I skip over for some reason. A dislike of Talisa Soto? No! She’s a NYC girl!

TB. Given my top ten ranking, TLD should get the thumbs up here, yet its hard to vote against a Connery classic (flawed but still a classic). I hope this vote doesn't mean that things are over between Maryam and myself.
    LTK and TB
    Dwayne wrote: »
    NSNA. LTK (although a solid film) tends to be the Bond movie that I skip over for some reason. A dislike of Talisa Soto? No! She’s a NYC girl!

TB. Given my top ten ranking, TLD should get the thumbs up here, yet its hard to vote against a Connery classic (flawed but still a classic). I hope this vote doesn't mean that things are over between Maryam and myself.

Its TND.... not TLD
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Thanks Mathis1!!

I should always double check these things before I post. TB Vote still stands.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Thanks Mathis1!!

I should always double check these things before I post. TB Vote still stands.

No problem. Have nearly made that mistake myself. Oh and your choice is quite right!!
    (But not if it was TLD!!!)
    LTK beats NSNA 31-5

TB beats TND 29-7

Round 90:

FRWL vs TLD

and

TWINE vs SF
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    FRWL

SF
    FRWL over TLD

SF over TWINE
    Very difficult one, but I have to go with my man Dalton
    TLD
    and
    SF
    FRWL (no contest)

TWINE
    FRWL

TWINE
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Difficult round here:

FRWL > TLD - both in the Top 5

TWINE > SF - both in the Bottom 10
  • FRWL

&

SF
  • peterpeter Toronto
    FRWL
    SF
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    FRWL
    SF

Both are top 5. No contest
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TLD and SF

TLD and FRWL are very close and could flip flop at any moment for.me, but for now it's TLD
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FRWL and SF

It hurt having to pick something over TLD...
    FRWL
    SF
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2019 Posts: 6,758
    TLD.

FRWL is my number 4, whereas TLD is my number one. Tough pick.

SF.
    Used to dislike it but recently had a great experience with it. Pity to not be able to back TWINE, as it’s also one of my favs.

Four of my top 10 entries make this the toughest round so far.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FRWL is still the best Bond movie ever, and bound to remain that. No contest even against TLD, which I like neverteless.

SF is for me the second best Bond movie ever. No contest against TWINE, which is the second-worst ever.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    TLD
    SF