No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I just had a fresh thought about the B25 pretitles details in the recent MI6 report. (spoilers)

https://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/bond-25-april-2019-report?id=04471

What if Madeleine is the old flame?

What if Bond 25 isn't a story about Bond and Madeleine in domestic bliss, or evading SPECTRE revenge-killers together, but a story about Bond trying to win back a woman he loved, who he's lost between the films?

We're led to believe they're off to happier times together at the end of SPECTRE. But that could easily not be the case. It could take inspiration from Fleming's novels - specifically, FRWL - where it's explained that Bond and Tiffany Case were together for some time after the events of DAF, but she had recently left him because he was difficult to live with.

This would solve a few potential problems.

- It starts Bond in B25 in a more conventional "007" place than retired, or wed and living a domestic/vacation life somewhere. Less plot work to get him back into service, so to speak.

- It allows for the telling of a dramatically compelling romantic story that's already had its backstory "done." General audiences will need to be re-introduced to Madeleine, but that can be done efficiently. The notion of of "can they get back together" vs. a "can they get together in the first place" is an interesting spin for 007 -- one the character's never been afforded a cinematic chance to do.

- There's a massive thematic opportunity in it to explore a new angle for Craig's cinematic Bond. We've seen him be betrayed. We've seen him out for "revenge." But to see him attempt to earn back a relationship he's lost -- well, that's interesting to me.

Imagine how gutting it would be for Craig's Bond to lose Madeleine, not because of killers or plots, but because they just didn't work -- and to lose her after so much trauma of losing so many important women he loved already?

Perhaps he's not visiting anyone with Madeleine in the PTS. Perhaps he's visiting Madeleine. And then, chaos obviously ensues -- maybe they're attacked -- and the film becomes a reluctant race to keep her alive, while she resents him for ever bringing her back into this life, and all the while he (and the audience) are hoping maybe there's a chance they'll find their way back to each other, and some happiness along the way.

Sorry for the long post. :)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    JET007 wrote: »
    Avengers Endgame will dominate conversations days before its release.

Of course, but it’s going into overdrive once everyone can see it.

April-May 2019 will reach geek culture overdose. There's the new Avengers film but also the Game of Thrones final season. These two things are assured to saturate coverage for weeks. Most of the pop culture websites are indeed already publishing daily pieces about the "greatest moments" of both the MCU and GoT. Add to this the likely reveal of the Star Wars IX title and teaser, and it will be a crowded field.

Hence why they should have revealed the title last year.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Or maybe it is one of these
    die-another-day-160.png?w=590&h=368
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,548
    Ben Whishaw is scheduled to be in NYC for Norma Jeane Baker of Troy, through May 19. The play might not make it that long, according to a report in The Daily Beast. Regardless, it shows that Whishaw was not even available for filming until late May. I'm not sure this means anything, in regards to the shooting schedule, as a whole. But if EON is planning a press conference any time soon, it likely won't include Whishaw.
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    While doing Bond, Cary Fukunaga has found time to write a script for a tv series, which he will also produce.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cary-joji-fukunaga-nicole-kassell-last-of-the-mohicans-series-1203186984/
    Nick and Cary’s script is a riveting read and fresh take
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    That's actually a really interesting take @AgentM72. Given Swann's family and her own career, doing away with her in the traditional sense justs seems lazy, but something more unconvential for Bond as you suggest is far more interesting, and should hopefully give the actors something meatier to work with.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541
    While doing Bond, Cary Fukunaga has found time to write a script for a tv series, which he will also produce.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cary-joji-fukunaga-nicole-kassell-last-of-the-mohicans-series-1203186984/
    Nick and Cary’s script is a riveting read and fresh take

He said

“The clash of civilizations during the Seven Years War, which frames the story of ‘Last of the Mohicans,’ has been a long-time passion of mine.

Doesn't necessarily means that he has been doing this for now.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    He has good taste. I look forward to this.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    I just had a fresh thought about the B25 pretitles details in the recent MI6 report. (spoilers)

What if Bond 25 isn't a story about Bond and Madeleine in domestic bliss, or evading SPECTRE revenge-killers together, but a story about Bond trying to win back a woman he loved, who he's lost between the films?

We're led to believe they're off to happier times together at the end of SPECTRE. But that could easily not be the case. It could take inspiration from Fleming's novels - specifically, FRWL - where it's explained that Bond and Tiffany Case were together for some time after the events of DAF, but she had recently left him because he was difficult to live with.

- It starts Bond in B25 in a more conventional "007" place than retired, or wed and living a domestic/vacation life somewhere. Less plot work to get him back into service, so to speak.

- It allows for the telling of a dramatically compelling romantic story that's already had its backstory "done." General audiences will need to be re-introduced to Madeleine, but that can be done efficiently. The notion of of "can they get back together" vs. a "can they get together in the first place" is an interesting spin for 007 -- one the character's never been afforded a cinematic chance to do.

- There's a massive thematic opportunity in it to explore a new angle for Craig's cinematic Bond. We've seen him be betrayed. We've seen him out for "revenge." But to see him attempt to earn back a relationship he's lost -- well, that's interesting to me.

Imagine how gutting it would be for Craig's Bond to lose Madeleine, not because of killers or plots, but because they just didn't work -- and to lose her after so much trauma of losing so many important women he loved already?

Perhaps he's not visiting anyone with Madeleine in the PTS. Perhaps he's visiting Madeleine. And then, chaos obviously ensues -- maybe they're attacked -- and the film becomes a reluctant race to keep her alive, while she resents him for ever bringing her back into this life, and all the while he (and the audience) are hoping maybe there's a chance they'll find their way back to each other, and some happiness along the way.

Love it!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    In addition to Ben Whishaw being tied up with Norma Jean Baker of Troy until May 19, Ralph Fiennes will be in the US promoting The White Crow from 22 April, with the film opening 26 April.

I'd also rule out May 4th for the press conference as that's Star Wars Day.
    If they want most of the cast present, it sounds like we’ll have to wait until May (at least) until the press conference. That is, of course, if they still plan on doing one. Maybe this time they’ll just have more informal announcements about the film’s progress. We’ll have to just keep waiting.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

That’s brilliant! I think this is rather plausible.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Wasn’t Whishaw the one who said filming was starting in April?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Great idea @AgentM72 :)
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Great idea @AgentM72 :)

Add me to that!! That's a fantastic take. Very fresh too.
    Thanks for the compliments, all. Now I'm worried I've inadvertently spoiled the film for myself if I end up being on to something. ;)
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Thanks for the compliments, all. Now I'm worried I've inadvertently spoiled the film for myself if I end up being on to something. ;)

You can at least claim to have predicted the plot, or parts of it. That's something!
    Roll on the next 36 hours and then 2 weeks off!!!
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    Locals are not very happy after the the production shot scenes at Lutvann…
    https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/frykter-badesesongen-er-odelagt-etter-filminnspilling/70967825

An estimated 200 000 kroner is required to repairing the area back to it’s original condition.

@Torgeirtrap they rip up a road?
    @Pierce2Daniel So the reason they haven't held the presser yet is NOT that Malek is too busy.

I think they haven’t held the press conference yet because they haven’t started filming!

I don’t know if that is because of Malek’s schedule or the script still being worked on (or any other myriad of issues).

It’s a tradition of the series to do a press conference to launch the start of filming. Though in the post-Comic Con and Star Wars world where fan interaction is so key at big unveiling events. You have to wonder what the benefit of an austere press conference at cold and rainy Pinewood Studios truly is….

Could Eon invite fans to the event so there is some genuine enthusasim in the room – opposed to modest spattering of applause from bored journalists?

Personally, if Eon were to enhance their current model. I’d just start filming and perhaps release a short press statement explaining this. Then wait till you’re in Jamaica and invite the press for the big title revelation with the full cast.

@Pierce2Daniel Bored journalists?
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    No press conference tomorrow, folks. That’s the Star Wars IX Reveal and Eon would be crazy to go up against that.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,241
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    https://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/frykter-badesesongen-er-odelagt-etter-filminnspilling/70967825

An estimated 200 000 kroner is required to repairing the area back to it’s original condition.

Yes, the heavy vehicles they used in the area ripped up the ground of the road/path leading to the water. It's used by the locals, and more importantly the road/path is used to provide access to the water and area for people with reduced mobility – according to the interview with the guy in the video. Hopefully they'll be able to repair the damage before the summer.
    Eiragorn wrote: »
    Just as another aside from today's movie leak culture: Dr. Who's Matt Smith was "confirmed' (without reference) to be in SW Ep IX. This info was then integrated into wikipedia and spread to every other news outlet as a fact. After principal photography was completed a reporter asked him to tease his role. The answer: He isn't in it and never was asked :D

Meaning: Who and who isn't leaked to be cast is in no way indicative of who is cast. We know that work has commenced on the film but most definitely principal photography has yet to start. It would in fact be strange to have begun for even the massive SPECTRE only started to shoot 11 months before release. Still they don't have to make anything regarding the shoot public neither would it leak, see SW.

Furthermore I think there are still some people who have yet to understand what a press conference is for: to get attention for your film. What is the best way to not get it? Hold it when all eyes are somewhere else. Up until the end of may all the movie press will be occupied with GoT, SW IX and Av:EG--all properties that are just released or will be a whooping half a year before Bond 25.

What does GoT mean?
    Game of Thrones.

Yes, the heavy vehicles they used in the area ripped up the ground of the road/path leading to the water. It's used by the locals, and more importantly the road/path is used to provide access to the water and area for people with reduced mobility – according to the interview with the guy in the video. Hopefully they'll be able to repair the damage before the summer.

Why doesn't EON repair it they made the mess? @Torgeirtrap

Truenorth (the company responsible for the Norway shoot) looks to be taking the bill for the damage done to the area. It looks like the repair work will be started after Easter.

Truenorth (the company responsible for the Norway shoot) looks to be taking the bill for the damage done to the area. It looks like the repair work will be started after Easter.

Oh ok I'm like Cubby wouldn't make a mess and leave back in the day @Torgeirtrap

Oh ok I'm like Cubby wouldn't make a mess and leave back in the day @Torgeirtrap

Yes, it's good if they sort it out fast so that the path can be used by everyone again.

Yes, it's good if they sort it out fast so that the path can be used by everyone again.

Yeah @Torgeirtrap
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Anything from Baz?