ALIEN Franchise

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The two released Alien 40th anniversary short films have been interesting, though. The second one especially managed to be quite inventive. Hopefully the filmmakers behind these films get a crack at a full feature one day.

I watched the the second short film I thought it was decent for what it is, I liked the message on the glass door to attempt to warn off the other ship.

That was the first one, I believe. I preferred the second, personally. The setting was suitably claustrophobic and it was very well shot, and they kept the tension up without showing too much creature. They're all fairly low-budget, so it's nice to see new filmmakers being forced to get creative with old ideas and actually use their heads to make things interesting.

Really oh I'll look out for the second one. When I watched the short film last week someone mentioned there was an earlier animated short film that's where I got my wires crossed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The two released Alien 40th anniversary short films have been interesting, though. The second one especially managed to be quite inventive. Hopefully the filmmakers behind these films get a crack at a full feature one day.

I watched the the second short film I thought it was decent for what it is, I liked the message on the glass door to attempt to warn off the other ship.

That was the first one, I believe. I preferred the second, personally. The setting was suitably claustrophobic and it was very well shot, and they kept the tension up without showing too much creature. They're all fairly low-budget, so it's nice to see new filmmakers being forced to get creative with old ideas and actually use their heads to make things interesting.

Really oh I'll look out for the second one. When I watched the short film last week someone mentioned there was an earlier animated short film that's where I got my wires crossed.

No worries. I hope you enjoy the second one. I think the animated Alien content they may have been referring to was the Alien: Isolation short film (or series, can't quite remember), which will essentially just amount to the cut scenes from the game being put together and streamlined into a non-gameplay narrative.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

No worries. I hope you enjoy the second one. I think the animated Alien content they may have been referring to was the Alien: Isolation short film (or series, can't quite remember), which will essentially just amount to the cut scenes from the game being put together and streamlined into a non-gameplay narrative.

Isolation yes that was it, of course its the game I have never played it. They often do that with games, the DC lego games have cut scenes from the game to make a mini story before if I recall.
    p.jpeg?size_mode=5

My current desktop which is in tribute to Alien 40th Anniversary
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pre-ordered my 4K UHD copy of the first film last night, I hope the others (or at least Aliens) get the same treatment sooner rather than later.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Pre-ordered my 4K UHD copy of the first film last night, I hope the others (or at least Aliens) get the same treatment sooner rather than later.

I looked at the 4K Alien last week I will probably buy it next month, to be honest I think the majority of the Alien films will look good in 4K, the fourth film despite its short comings interested me visually and I always favour the alternate ending.

I looked at the 4K Alien last week I will probably buy it next month, to be honest I think the majority of the Alien films will look good in 4K, the fourth film despite its short comings interested me visually and I always favour the alternate ending.

Alien 3 and Resurrection do have their moments, but they're nowhere close in terms of quality and consistency like the first two are. I'll watch them if I feel like watching the initial two installments, but I don't really need them, either.

Alien 3 and Resurrection do have their moments, but they're nowhere close in terms of quality and consistency like the first two are. I'll watch them if I feel like watching the initial two installments, but I don't really need them, either.

I know what you mean, I have not had a complete watch of the series for a few years. Though I'll wait till I get the first film in 4K. One of the truly great things about the series and this includes all of the first four films.. the documentarys are superb.

Just put the opening scene of Alien on my pc its incredible, the visual story telling is some of the best in cinema.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    As much as I would like Scott to finish his three Prometheous film arc, part of me knows that if he does the third film its unlikely to surprise me at all.
    "finish his three Prometheus film arc" inplies there is already something resembling two thirds of an arc. Where is that?

Scott screws over the Alien franchise part 1. Followed by Scott screws over the Alien franchise part 2.

I have given up on the 'Alien franchise' and refuse to watch anymore.

I saw Prometheus and thought it was ok. Terrible script with some really stupid moments, but some cool visuals and design.

I like to keep the the Alien origins a mystery. They were always more interesting knowing little about them.

Alien & Aliens is the be all end all for me.

Just like i don't watch Star Wars films anymore. A New Hope and Empire are magnificent films. The rest go from being ok to downright terrible.

My thoughts exactly. I completely ignore the rest of the series. The idea of the aliens being the invention of some android a-hole was the stupidest thing they could’ve done.

I know what you mean, I have not had a complete watch of the series for a few years. Though I'll wait till I get the first film in 4K. One of the truly great things about the series and this includes all of the first four films.. the documentarys are superb.

Just put the opening scene of Alien on my pc its incredible, the visual story telling is some of the best in cinema.

Yeah the special features of that Alien blu-ray boxset are phenomenal, particularly all the extended editions of the films. They're more than appreciated.
    Happy Alien Day, everyone. Coincidentally, today lines up perfectly with me finally starting up my 4K copy of the first film. Sadly, the Director's Cut isn't in native 4K (only the scenes that are part of the theatrical version), so I think I'll go with the latter (which I've not seen in years - I always prefer the DC).
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,105
    It's been a while since I watched the Directors Cut of Alien I recall one added scene with Lambert I think being very similar to a scene in Aliens

Edited: I am thinking of the Dallas scene not Lambert
    It's been a while since I watched the Directors Cut of Alien I recall one added scene with Lambert I think being very similar to a scene in Aliens

Which bit was that? I was surprised to notice earlier that while the DC contains about four or five minutes of extra footage, it's actually shorter than the theatrical cut.

Which bit was that? I was surprised to notice earlier that while the DC contains about four or five minutes of extra footage, it's actually shorter than the theatrical cut.

I was thinking of the cocoon scene with Dallas, I'll have to watch it again to fully recall the scene... At work at moment.

Next week I'll buy the 4K Alien you will have to give your opinion on the upgrade. Did you get a steelbook?
    I just went with the regular 4K - I hate the cover, so I didn't feel the need to shell out for a steelbook. I'm about 3/4 of the way through, quality is great, but I do think I'll go with the DC from here on out, as I most certainly prefer it (particularly the added shots and moments during Brett's death sequence).
    Yeah the UK Steelbook is not totally convincing me it's a awful looking silver cover though I have found a brand new copy around £23
    Off topic I can't find the switch to desktop site, the mobile version of the site is not great (I am unable to post links/pictures) since it changed, the switch to desktop site link has vanished, any ideas?

Agreed, it's not remotely befitting the film itself - looks like an even more futuristic, somehow-robotic version of the Xenomorph.

I'm afraid I don't see a 'switch to desktop' option for the mobile version of the site. I almost never use the latter, but I know that option was there in the past. Perhaps it was removed with this latest update and will return later, you may want to ask an admin about that.
    Agreed, it's not remotely befitting the film itself - looks like an even more futuristic, somehow-robotic version of the Xenomorph.

I'm afraid I don't see a 'switch to desktop' option for the mobile version of the site. I almost never use the latter, but I know that option was there in the past. Perhaps it was removed with this latest update and will return later, you may want to ask an admin about that.

OK mate ill try a few things then message admin, it was there initially when the site got updated. For some reason some of the functions on the mobile site are not working, probably the upgrade is still on going.

I think some of the 4K art work on some movies is lazy, and considering the extra cost as a buyer we certainly expect much better.
    That's odd! I almost never use the mobile site or I'd gladly have more assistance for you. I perused it once or twice just now and couldn't find anything for switching to the mobile site - perhaps it's an address issue, maybe there's some way to edit the web address on mobile to reflect the desktop site.

Agreed - I figure it's a newer format and they think not that many people are shelling out for it yet, so they can make the artwork as lazy and uninspired as they wish, because people will be buying it either way.
    That's odd! I almost never use the mobile site or I'd gladly have more assistance for you. I perused it once or twice just now and couldn't find anything for switching to the mobile site - perhaps it's an address issue, maybe there's some way to edit the web address on mobile to reflect the desktop site.

Agreed - I figure it's a newer format and they think not that many people are shelling out for it yet, so they can make the artwork as lazy and uninspired as they wish, because people will be buying it either way.

Uselly my phone logs into the desktop site, occasionally I have to switch from the mobile site to desktop. The mobile site is limited so I tend to not use it on my phone.

True they know we will spend the money so they they put little effort into the art work.

Changed settings on my phone, back on desktop site
    Im still holding out hope with James Camerons line "im working on that" when he was asked about making a sequel to aliens.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Im still holding out hope with James Camerons line "im working on that" when he was asked about making a sequel to aliens.
    When was that, recently, or in the 90s?

I´m still Holding up hope that The Abyss will be released on br ;-).

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited April 2019 Posts: 8,009
    The final short film from the Alien 40th Anniversary collection is a decent one:

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    There are times when a “Director’s Cut” or “Extended Edition “ of a film only serves to pad it and does little to improve; The Abyss is not one of these. The extended release is a significantly stronger film than the theatrical release.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    When was that, recently, or in the 90s?

He made this comment recently when being interviewed about the new Terminator but it’s hard to tell if he was serious or just making an off the cuff remark.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The final short film from the Alien 40th Anniversary collection is a decent one:

I found that really boring. I am still hoping Scott will finish his Prometheus trilogy. The premise there is much more interesting than these tedious attempts at recapturing the horrors of the first.
    talos7 wrote: »
    There are times when a “Director’s Cut” or “Extended Edition “ of a film only serves to pad it and does little to improve; The Abyss is not one of these. The extended release is a significantly stronger film than the theatrical release.

That is because in "the Abyss"they cut out essential information to have the movie making sense.

With Aliens I found the addition of the Parents be send out by the company to the Alien ship after the testimony of Ripley an extra layer of evilness by the Bad company. So in that sense I was happy to see it added.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

That is because in "the Abyss"they cut out essential information to have the movie making sense.

With Aliens I found the addition of the Parents be send out by the company to the Alien ship after the testimony of Ripley an extra layer of evilness by the Bad company. So in that sense I was happy to see it added.

A runtime was dictated by the studio because they wanted a certain number of screenings per day; even with the successes of Terminator and Aliens, Cameron did not have the clout to override this.

Today he has, but with Terminator 2, Aliens & the Abyss I am glad having the extra scenes edited back into the movies. They actually add to the movies.
    Absolutely...