Worst Bond song

Comments

Sounds like a few of you are going to have to stick your fingers in your ears for the release of the new Lone Ranger movie. During the CinemaCon 2012 Disney presentation, producer Jerry Bruckheimer announced the musician will score for “The Lone Ranger.”

“Jack White will do the score,” announced Bruckheimer to the audience.

So there you have it, fingers at the ready.
  • I would have to say Die Another Day, it just doesn't fit a Bond film, plus the fact that I hate that techno shite anyway.

At least the title sequence saved it from the as always brilliant Daniel Kleinman.
    Definitely Die another day. It is even one of the worst Madonna's songs ever.
    Have to say I actually prefer the Sheryl Crow song to KD Lang one. There's more intrigue and romance to it IMO. Maybe this should be in the controversial opinions thread!

I hate TB and TMWTGG actually. The more recent songs have often been bad but those were worse IMO.

Someone has done a good effort of doing a really bad Bond song on one of the other threads - an awful song called 'Man in the shadows' or something. Lord help us.
    bondsum wrote:
    Sounds like a few of you are going to have to stick your fingers in your ears for the release of the new Lone Ranger movie. During the CinemaCon 2012 Disney presentation, producer Jerry Bruckheimer announced the musician will score for “The Lone Ranger.”

“Jack White will do the score,” announced Bruckheimer to the audience.

So there you have it, fingers at the ready.

I actually found JW's music for Cold Mountain fairly good, so it is not like the man doesn't do anything good. His attempt for QoS was just terrible, but fits the movie because that is terrible too.

SaintMark wrote:
    His attempt for QoS was just terrible, but fits the movie because that is terrible too.

Ha! That's a good way of putting it! At least the whole thing was consistent.
    The song at the begining of Quantum was horrible, as was TND.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2012 Posts: 16,328
    Only Myself to Blame and Tomorrow Never Dies.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12
    The Man With The Golden Gun...ughhhhh.
    Personally, I can't stand "All Time High". It should have been called "Octopussy" and have been sung by the Rolling Stones and have been absolutely filthy. ;-)
    Oh wait! I hate "For Your Eyes Only" even more!!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 2,782
    No there is only one choice and the great man himself pointed it out and it was and is TMWTGG.

"It's the one I hate most... it just never happened for me."

Awful lyrics but still some nice arrangements.

Has anyone have Alice Cooper's cut song?

Found it:

Mods is there a rejected Bond songs thread...that would be a nice reference resource?
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    actonsteve wrote:
    Just going away from main Bond intros, can I add Eric Serra's Exprience of Love and KD lang's Surrender were pretty bad, t

I cant remember 'Experience of Love' but if it is anything like the soft-rock they stick at the end of alot of Brosnan pics I am not surprised.

However,

KD Langs 'Surrender' is the undiscovered treasure of the Bond genre. This big ballsy belt of a song shivers my timbers and it is delivered with gusto and panache. Its a classic Bond diva song and as any Bond fan would tell you should have been the title song.

Back in 1997 as the light faded on Michelle and Pierces final scene and I was wistfully saying "that wasn't that good" to myself.

I was stopped in my tracks by this big song starting up as I was leaving the auditorium. That and Dr Kaufman were the only things that really worked for me.

Missed what I bolded above. Absofreakinlutely right, spot on observation. I had the same experience, the minute I heard that big brass start up I wasn't leaving. I seriously question anyone who thinks Crow's song was better and better suited for the intro. Then again, there are people who think the Goldfinger theme sung by the great DSB stinks too. Horrid, appalling personal taste IMHO. "Surrender" ranks with the greatest songs in the series, no question whatsoever.

The problem I have with "Experience Of Love" is not so much the song itself, but the fact that it's almost a stone cold ripoff of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music. They should have gotten Ferry to sing it, it would have better. Of course, any song in GE pales next to the title song. It's all downhill from there. Whereas with DAD and AWTD, it was all uphill after that dreck was out of the way.

• I don't like the Goldfinger theme. There, I said it. It's not the worst, but I don't like it. The film has a good score, but that theme, it's just so annoying.

Worst is probably DAD or AWTD.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I don't like the Goldfinger theme. There, I said it. It's not the worst, but I don't like it. The film has a good score, but that theme, it's just so annoying.

GF the song is pure Bond, it's everything Bondian that Barry created wrapped up within. I can understand it not necessarily being everyone's favorite. But hating it is another story. And runs throughout the movie so that's probably why you don't hate it.

It's interesting to see though how DSB's voice had matured 7 years later to DAF and another 8 until MR. Definitely not quite as brassy and in your face.

I agree that DAD and AWTD are easily the worst of the lot. I expect garbage from Madonna, whose good songs I can count on one hand. I expected better from Jack White though. Would have much rather had the DSB/Arnold "No Good About Goodbye" in it's place. Hopefully EON's post AWTD statements regarding the song have convinced them that they should insist on the final say and put quality ahead of $$$.

I hated the A-Ha song, Living Daylights, as well as Tomorrow never dies, World is not enough and Die Another Day.

Those are all silly, silly songs.
  • I don't like the Goldfinger theme. There, I said it. It's not the worst, but I don't like it. The film has a good score, but that theme, it's just so annoying.

GF the song is pure Bond, it's everything Bondian that Barry created wrapped up within. I can understand it not necessarily being everyone's favorite. But hating it is another story. And runs throughout the movie so that's probably why you don't hate it.

It's interesting to see though how DSB's voice had matured 7 years later to DAF and another 8 until MR. Definitely not quite as brassy and in your face.

That's why I prefer MR and DAF. Don't get me wrong, I think Bassey is a great singer, I'm just not a fan of the GF song.
    After what was said above by @SirHenryLeeChaChing, I agree that "Surrender" would have made for a much better main title song than the actual "Tomorrow Never Dies" by Sheryl Crow. The latter just doesn't ring well with my ears like the former does. In fact, every time I think of TND I always begin to sing "Surrender" rather than the real title song.

The obvious worst Bond song for me will always be You Only Live Twice. In fact, I would rather listen to Die Another Day and Another Way to Die combined than listen to the YOLT theme song. At least DAD and AWTD are bearable and even sometimes quite catchy.
    AWTD.
    I feel annoyance and bemusement in equal measure whenever someone mentions they do not like (or hate) even, Nancy Sinatra's 1967 Bond theme, it's one of my favorites of the whole series, and Top five for sure, never understood why people take a dislike to it

Always, every time, insist that Lang's Surrender should take a back seat to the Sheryl Crow intro in Tomorrow Never Dies, it will never change

I must of mentioned it at some stage, but Easton's 'For Your Eyes Only' is a pretty poor theme intro also, I think I dislike it more with each watch, she didn't need to appear in the opening credits either. She should of kept right away from James Bond and stuck with Morning Train or something. But for now, until the end of time, I truly feel Keys and White's awful awful crap attempt at anything resembling a Bond theme (or indeed music) will always be my #1 loathing for Bond songs. Madonna not far behind, as always
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 2,341
    DAD is the worst by a landslide. Matter of fact all of the Brosnan age songs stunk up the airways.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    DAD is the worst by a landslide. Matter of fact all of the Brosnan age songs stunk up the airways.

'GoldenEye' was a good enough song, no?
    @Samuel001
    GE was not that bad. I can stomach it. FYEO was not all that and we all love to hate TMWTGG. they should have used the Alice Cooper version.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    "It is too much like Live And Let Die". I bet that was EON's thinking. Instead we got the awful Lulu song.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    @Samuel001
    GE was not that bad. I can stomach it. FYEO was not all that and we all love to hate TMWTGG. they should have used the Alice Cooper version.
    I've heard this Cooper version a few times but find it rather dull and not Bond sounding at all. I think if it had of been used it would now be considered just another AWTD.

Even though the Lulu number isn't the best in the series and has the unenviable disadvantage of coming straight after the brilliant LALD, I still prefer it to most of the later songs and at least the tune is upbeat.

Lurking in some darkened doorway
    Or crouched on a roof top somewhere
    In the next room or this very one
    The man with the golden gun

Now compare this to:

He's, the man with the golden gun in his pocket
    The man with the golden gun in his case
    The man with the golden gun in his pocket
    The man with the golden gun in your face
    Well I have to agree with most of everyone here, QofS and DAD I can remember who did them but they don't stay in my head, TWINE semi works but who has ever heard of Garbage until the movie came out, Favorites, Sir Paul, GF,Moonraker,Diamonds, Ms Bassey. Who ever does Skyfall, don't screw this one up please.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Least liked: AWTD and closely followed by DAD

Above average for me: All Time High, MR, YOLT (suits the film perfectly)

Mediocre for me are: GE, FYEO, TND, TLD, TB, TWINE, TMWTGG, All the Time in the World (perfect for the film, though)

Lower End: FRWL, Dr No's 3 Blind Mice,

Top 5: LALD, GF, DAF, AVTAK, and ...

Personal #1 is Nobody Does It Better (I just love the song and Carly's voice)

• OHMSS69 wrote:

So you think TWINE is worse than AWTD?