"You killed my dog "...John Wick discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Absolutely, they've released some great posters over the years for this series.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2019 Posts: 12,459
    THIS TRAILER!!!! I'm so psyched. Looks awesome, truly. And Halle looks good. I think good choice having her in this.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Pretty sure they used a time machine to get Halle Berry in this film. She almost looks younger here than she did in DAD!
    The Bond team need to learn from the John Wick posters.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Did I see Mark Dacascos in the that trailer? Now there's an action star I haven't seen in a long time. Also Halle is still gorgeous, being 2 years Craig senior, there wouldn't be any complains about it looking like Bond robbing the cradle...
    Did I see Mark Dacascos in the that trailer? Now there's an action star I haven't seen in a long time. Also Halle is still gorgeous, being 2 years Craig senior, there wouldn't be any complains about it looking like Bond robbing the cradle...

That's him! I had the same thought when he was cast, felt like it'd been a while since I saw him in a high profile role.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 669
    Just wanted to add my two cents here. My wife and I finally watched Chapters 1 and 2 this past week, and we thoroughly enjoyed both. I am partial to part one because I love the neo-noir vibe it creates with the gritty, almost futuristic look of NYC. Somehow that gets lost in translation in the second part, where the European flavor gives it a very different feel. Still, the cinematography, editing acting, and script are top-notch in both movies. Keanu is more badass than ever, and the movies are both so sleek and stylish that it makes you feel as though you’re seeing something entirely new even though it’s all pretty formula stuff. But how wonderful it is to see action sequences choreographed, filmed, and edited in such a way that you can follow everything! It seems we’re past the Jason Bourne style of shooting and editing, thank God.

Oh, and for any commenters above who said they found it hard to believe that John Wick would kill all these people over a dog, I would guess that those people have never had a dog. A dog is a member of the family like any other; I love my dog so much it hurts. So I don’t find it at all difficult to believe the lengths John goes to out of revenge.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Agreed. I have a pet tabby cat (he's equal parts lovely and super annoying) BUT God help the person should they be crazy enough to ever harm him.
    Just wanted to add my two cents here. My wife and I finally watched Chapters 1 and 2 this past week, and we thoroughly enjoyed both. I am partial to part one because I love the neo-noir vibe it creates with the gritty, almost futuristic look of NYC. Somehow that gets lost in translation in the second part, where the European flavor gives it a very different feel. Still, the cinematography, editing acting, and script are top-notch in both movies. Keanu is more badass than ever, and the movies are both so sleek and stylish that it makes you feel as though you’re seeing something entirely new even though it’s all pretty formula stuff. But how wonderful it is to see action sequences choreographed, filmed, and edited in such a way that you can follow everything! It seems we’re past the Jason Bourne style of shooting and editing, thank God.

Oh, and for any commenters above who said they found it hard to believe that John Wick would kill all these people over a dog, I would guess that those people have never had a dog. A dog is a member of the family like any other; I love my dog so much it hurts. So I don’t find it at all difficult to believe the lengths John goes to out of revenge.

Even looking past the "just a dog" argument that many of the antagonists mention throughout both films, it was the final gift from his now-deceased wife, so it's elevated beyond being just a pet (though I don't consider my dog a pet either, but family).
  • Even looking past the "just a dog" argument that many of the antagonists mention throughout both films, it was the final gift from his now-deceased wife, so it's elevated beyond being just a pet (though I don't consider my dog a pet either, but family).[/quote]

Agreed! It was like they killed the last piece of his wife as well, so it was a double whammy.

I actually loved the fact that, for a pretty standard revenge plot, the villains killed the dog instead of the wife, which is what happens in 99.9999% of these kinds of movies (Death Wish, The Punisher, etc.).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Only Ares is missing. Other than that, I love the trailer.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,686
    @bondjames @ClarkDevlin @Creasy47 @doubleoego @DarthDimi @MajorDSmythe

Exactly 100 days left until John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum.

bbfc982e8d4a1121245bc4470a57a81c.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    He knows Kung Fu.
    I cannot wait for this film! Meanwhile, just saw this ...
    New trailer coming Thursday, with eight new teasers to build up to the release of it:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/19/john-wick-chapter-3-parabellum-trailer-dropping-thursday-watch-8-new-teasers-ign-premiere
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Can't wait. I hope this film with be awesome.
    Two Keanu trilogies I'm a huge fan of!
    D2-Hes1-LVAAAgb-ZV.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,541
    Loved it ... It's going to be very stylish film
    01-C6-AEA7-6-F39-4658-ADB5-FBA3-D99586-E6.jpg
    3-B080162-43-A7-4-D88-8066-873-FDD52-D62-F.jpg
    edited March 2019 Posts: 40,368
    0gooe8h2zhn21.jpg?width=498&auto=webp&s=341119cb206341a389effd49fd802fa78266f356
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Matrix nod made me chuckle, I already have the first two films in HD though I'll be getting the 4K trilogy boxset assuming this ends up being the last film.
    The Matrix nod made me chuckle, I already have the first two films in HD though I'll be getting the 4K trilogy boxset assuming this ends up being the last film.

These films are something else in 4K, I can't wait to see what a few more years of technological upgrades does for how Wick 3 ends up looking in UHD.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

These films are something else in 4K, I can't wait to see what a few more years of technological upgrades does for how Wick 3 ends up looking in UHD.

The new trailer looks pretty awesome with the sets and colours, now doubt in 4K it will be eye popping, I'll look out for the 4K trailer on YouTube
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The new trailer looks pretty awesome with the sets and colours, now doubt in 4K it will be eye popping, I'll look out for the 4K trailer on YouTube

I've not watched it, as painful as it is to see it sitting there. I've been debating holding off - I knew I was going to see it even before catching any footage and the first trailer totally sold me, been debating saving the rest of the beats and moments for when the film drops in May. I figure I'll cave later tonight and watch it, can't be helped!
    edited March 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Glad to have this thread, but I'm (so far) not watching any trailers. I really want it fresh when I see it. Opens in May but when it hits Asia, I don't know. But I'll try to wait. I know it will look splendid on the big screen.

OK IMdb has Hong Kong opening for June. Probably Japan sometime after. Sigh ...
    This sounds good to me: (from: https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a869592/john-wick-3-release-date-cast-horse-trailer-plot-parabellum/)

It was rumoured that the third movie would go global like the sequel, but Stahelski wants the threequel to be more intimate, giving us a greater insight into Wick and the wider world of the Continental.

"We want not so much to go bigger on the third one but [instead] to show you more of the intricacies of the world," he told Collider.

"I feel like there's all these different subtleties that I skipped over in number two that I'd like to go back to in number three and show you the inner workings of different parts of New York. Rather than massive set pieces, I'd like to show you cooler, more intricate ones."

Yes, that's from an earlier interview he made before filming even began, I want to say. He said he wanted to leave the grand spectacle and CGI-driven action sequences for the other franchises and dig more into the mythology of everything - that was the first thing that got me very excited for this film.