CLOSED

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2019 Posts: 12,459
    We were commenting on that, Barry. I do await more news on it. I just saw another article I was interested in. But I'm sorry to have bothered you.

Look, I'll just back out. That's okay. I do want to continue reading this thread, though. But I'll delete from the past and in future post only bigger news as far as American politics go. I want to be able to continue to enjoy this thread.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    barryt007 wrote: »
    My thread has seriously become detached from the World Events I intented x It’s been American hijacked x a plane load of people died today peeps!!

@Remington i believe tried to start a new subject thread for 'American Politics' but it was immediately closed by the mods.

Surely there's room on these boards for such a thread? The anti-Trump brigade definitely need a place to go!
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339
    We were commenting on that, Barry. I do await more news on it. I just saw another article I was interested in. But I'm sorry to have bothered you.

Look, I'll just back out. That's okay. I do want to continue reading this thread, though. But I'll delete from the past and in future post only bigger news as far as American politics go. I want to be able to continue to enjoy this thread.

No that's fine when there is no World Event news going on,no probs.
    My thread has seriously become detached from the World Events I intented x It’s been American hijacked x a plane load of people died today peeps!!

@Remington i believe tried to start a new subject thread for 'American Politics' but it was immediately closed by the mods.

Surely there's room on these boards for such a thread? The anti-Trump brigade definitely need a place to go!

It would make sense to have something like that yes,as it is obviously a passionate issue with Americans,as Brexit is with us Brits.

I did have an American President thread on here you all could have used,but I notice that has been closed as well,unfortunately.

EDIT : One of the black boxes have been found at the crash site,and Ethiopian and a few other airlines have grounded all their 737-Max 8 aircraft.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The same arguments that were used to urge us to close down the 'religion thread', are now also used by us to close down any further politics threads. I'm sorry, @barryt007, that your thread was hijacked as the "lightening rod" for Trump talk. Three things:

a) Many "world events" unfortunately have something to do with Trump. Every time someone here reports a mass shooting for example, the odds are that it has taken place in the States. Then, naturally, the whole gun thing gets brought up. Ergo, we arrive at Trump in less than four posts. Trump talk in this thread in unavoidable; why then should have two Trump threads when we really only need one, if any at all.

b) Remember when we had an Anti-Trump and a Pro-Trump thread? Talk about broken records, mi6 as a channel for regurgitating twitter posts, ugly fights, ... We had to put those threads down like mad dogs. It just doesn't work here.

c) Nobody has ever said that this thread is the proper archive for every single post by attorney so-and-so, senator so-and-so, ... that passes varous twitter and fb accounts. This is a discussion forum, not another newsroom. So the fact that Trump is looming large over this thread is a matter of choice of our members, not a 'world events' necessity, nor a mod mandate.
    I agree DD,and as I said earlier,i don't mind my American cousins discussing/debating Trump in here,as long as,when there is some World news,then that gets priority.

I'm fine with it tbh.
    Thoughts and prayers to all the people who have tragically lost a loved one in the Ethiopian air crash. RIP.
    I agree DD,and as I said earlier,i don't mind my American cousins discussing/debating Trump in here,as long as,when there is some World news,then that gets priority.

I'm fine with it tbh.

Thank you, my good friend, for your understanding. :)
  • My sympathies to all who've lost loved ones in this terrible event. It looks like other planes of this type have been grounded until all the bugs have been sorted out & eradicated, so there is that at least. Still, it's a shame that defective products like this have been allowed to come to market. Is anyone going to be held accountable? Somehow I doubt it.

And that's about all I have to say on this topic, or more than likely, any similar topic. Typhoons in east Asia? Gosh, sorry to see so much carnage. Earthquakes in Japan? Hey @4Ever, are you okay? Wildfires in northern California that are so severe they make the air unbreatheable for hundreds of miles around? Sorry, but that one actually affected me and I wasn't online much at that point as I was busy dealing with the consequences. Another school shooting? And we arrive at our four degrees of separation from Trump...

Which brings me to my real point:

The thread should be locked at this point it’s just an American bashing/Trump hate thread.

Ah, finally the shoe drops. I've been wondering what was the point of some of the raving from our friend CR. What does cuckolding and trans dragons and half the stuff that's been said here have to do with anything in the world? It has to do with an attempt to stifle the anti-trump dialogue in these parts. "Shut this sucker down or I'll spam it to death!" Thankfully, the mods seem disinclined to comply, so thank you for that mods and thank you for your kind indulgence, @barryt007. Now, barry, can we talk about your distaste for Kara Milovy? Or should we take that off-thread? She's really not too bad from my POV -- of course, I'm a musician, so maybe I'm just prejudiced...
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 7,500
    To be frank... which I usually am... I would say those who complain about the focus on Trump here (not many after all) are basically people that support him and don't appreciate the mainly negative focus. Somehow I suspect the same people wouldn't complain at all if the general tone was more to their liking...
    7 British citizens on board as well.

And 9 french citizens as well. Tragic, really.
    jobo wrote: »
    To be frank... which I usually am... I would say those who complain about the focus on Trump here (not many after all) are basically people that support him and don't appreciate the mainly negative focus. Somehow I suspect the same people wouldn't complain at all if the general tone was more to their liking...

A wise observation, @jobo, and one I share with you. In fact, I recall having a similar experience with the religion thread.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I have a lot of sympathy for @barryt007's position here regarding the fact that "his" thread has effectively been hijacked, albeit probably not on purpose. But those Americans who feel offended (not because they are Americans but because they are in favour of Trump) should keep in mind that this is an international forum...and besides those (statistically) more than 50 per cent of Americans who are anti-Trump, there are also AT LEAST 85 to 90 per cent of members from the Rest of the World (TM) who (just like their general population) absolutely despise Trump and his administration for actually destroying what has been perceived as a more or less peaceful, win-win world order until that, uhm, person came along and sacrificed everything on his altar of narcissism. Sorry 'bout that, folks, but even here it's a case of "We reap what we sow", and I wish it were otherwise.
    Thank you for that wise post, @j_w_pepper. I'm sure by now @barryt007 knows we have the utmost sympathy and respect for his every good intention with this thread. Alas, world events are unpredictable, and so is the sequence of posts built over the past 158 pages. One thing we can say for sure is that this thread is popular. ;-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I have a lot of sympathy for @barryt007's position here regarding the fact that "his" thread has effectively been hijacked, albeit probably not on purpose. But those Americans who feel offended (not because they are Americans but because they are in favour of Trump) should keep in mind that this is an international forum...and besides those (statistically) more than 50 per cent of Americans who are anti-Trump, there are also AT LEAST 85 to 90 per cent of members from the Rest of the World (TM) who (just like their general population) absolutely despise Trump and his administration for actually destroying what has been perceived as a more or less peaceful, win-win world order until that, uhm, person came along and sacrificed everything on his altar of narcissism. Sorry 'bout that, folks, but even here it's a case of "We reap what we sow", and I wish it were otherwise.

How DARE YOU take the piss on my President?!?!?!

That's a job for Russian call girls....

;)
  • chrisisall wrote: »

;)

Fyake Nyews!
    chrisisall wrote: »

;)

Fyake Nyews!

Nyet ya Yahoo!
    ;)
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,564
    Yawohl back atcha, ya Google! ;-)
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 565
    I apologize as this isn't really "news," but what are people's thoughts on the Balkan states joining the EU (those that have and those that are working towards it)?
  • As a patriotic American and proud Trump resister, my position is: determine what Putin's attitude would be and take the opposing viewpoint. I expect Putin would be against the Balkan states joining the EU, therefore, I think it's a peachy idea.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339
    I see that Singapore and UK have banned the 737 Max 8 from flying in their airspace,joining Australia and a few other countries.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Good thinking, @Beatles. Then of course we also have the Balkan countries closest to Russia in the EU already (Bulgaria and Romania). Long-time EU member Greece is also on the Balkan Peninsula (albeit as the only former non-Communist country). Croatia joined in 2013, as the only former Yugoslav republic besides Slovenia, which however isn't "Balkan". The applications by the remaining ex-Yugoslav republics (Serbia, Montenegro and what is now going to be called North Macedonia) as well as Albania seem to have stalled, probably not least due to the fact that Kosovo (which Serbia still considers its territory) has also applied.

I'd say liberal Western/Central Europeans are less than enthusiastic about having additional members states any time soon. Basically all of the countries mentioned in my first paragraph have to different degrees raised questions of some kind as to their democratic credentials (right-wing populists running some places), corruption, financial soundness (thank you, Greece), racism and disregard for human rights. OK, they fit right in with the present leadership of Hungary, Poland and some others (to most, Italy currently deserves being mentioned as well). But do we need any more of that just to enlarge the EU? IMO, the admission of umpteen new members states in 2004 was far too quick and only designed to reign in Russia as soon as possible at whatever cost.

With the additional irony of the UK (probably at the request of Big Brother in Washington) having been the driving force behind speeding up that process, and also insisting that freedom of movement for the Romanians, Polish etc. be enacted right away...only to stage Brexit in order to get rid of them again.

Just my two cents in a nutshell.
    I see that Singapore and UK have banned the 737 Max 8 from flying in their airspace,joining Australia and a few other countries.

Wow, that's a big step... not sure I'd go there myself, but understandable why they did.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,564
    Trump bashing? Air travel news? Hey, let's do both at once! DJT has just decided that it's time to insult airplanes and their pilots. Seems that planes are too complicated for regular people to actually fly them in the world according to Trump.... "I don't want Albert Einstein to be my pilot," sayeth the man.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/12/trump-boeing-plane-crash-1217372
    Trump bashing? Air travel news? Hey, let's do both at once! DJT has just decided that it's time to insult airplanes and their pilots. Seems that planes are too complicated for regular people to actually fly them in the world according to Trump.... "I don't want Albert Einstein to be my pilot," sayeth the man.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/12/trump-boeing-plane-crash-1217372
    As with everything else, if he himself can't do it, it's "too complicated". Too bad he doesn't come to the realization that this extends to doing meaningful politics, running the country and having normal relations with the rest of the world.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yep, heard that on the radio as well. @Chisisall, or was it @Beatles? Anyway, in aviation, usually someone does pay if it turns out to be a human error. If there's one industry where people are held accounteable, it's in aviation. Boeing's stock didn't plunge for nothing, they're in relly big trouble now. They just surpassed Airbus again, a position they'll definately lose now.
    Of course it's way too early to come to any conclusions, but Boeing effing it up with their main moneymaker is, well, a huge blow to them, and probably even to American exports.

I'm amazed about Mr. T. First he claims he's made the world safer when we've had a year without aviation mishaps, then statistics come back to bite and he'not even claiming credit?

@JamesStock I'm with @j_w_pepper on the Balkans question. Basically the enlargement of 2004 was an utter mistake (and against the rules set up in Copenhagen and Maastricht) which has cost the EU dearly already. So, only the countries that are ready should join, and the whole union needs an overhaul anyway to be relevant, end corruption (as much in Brssels as in the member states) and do jusitce to the history of the continent. Only if we accept that we're very different, will we find ways to cooperate where it matters. But the clash between the efficiency driven North (esp. Germany) and power-hungry south( esp France) is already taking it's toll.
    Just for the sake of completeness, the Orange Master has also grounded the Max jets in the meantime. Not without mentioning what a tremendous company Boeing is, so we can really be assured that the problem will be solved by their hard work.
    Agent Orange only seems to do what his Master Putin okays. Any grounding will of course be absolutely unending since it will hurt our economy in whatever way, which is, of course the point of his Presidency.
    @j_w_pepper @CommanderRoss Thanks for the insight. As I am a US resident, I don't get to hear much about the issues abroad unless I reach out for them. Last time I was in (Western) Europe, the opinions I got on this subject were much the same. It'll be interesting to hear from those that live in those countries when I go visit them this summer. (Hence my interest.)
This discussion has been closed.