Worst Bond song

Comments

• I don't see why Sheryl Crow's TND gets a lot of hate. When I was younger, I must admit it didn't quite do anything for me but I've grown to actually love it and it's now one of my favorite Bond themes.

My personal picks for this are...

TMWTGG - Lulu
    DAD - Madonna
    AWTD - Alicia Keys and Jack White
    echo wrote:
    JR_747 wrote:
    As echo started this thread about "worst song on a Bond soundtrack", it's not necessarily about title songs only. Therefore I would like to come up with "Do you know how christmas trees are grown" from the OHMSS soundtrack: it's sooo annoying! And even worse, it's so catchy that I can't get it out of my mind once I've listened to it! %-(

Do you know how christmas tree's are grown stand alone is maybe overly sweet. though when played during certain scene, where blofelds henchman are trying to kill bond in the movie, the music is at odds with the action, to me it create more tension.

Yes, I agree with you. It's treacly as a standalone but somehow works when Bond finds Tracy at the ice rink. And of course, Barry's instrumental is excellent.

On another note, while I like the version of LALD sung in the club in New Orleans, it is somewhat jarring to hear the theme sung during the movie.

I agree. when I first heard it I thought it was rather annoying but it has a way of getting in your head. It's kinda a cute little tune and the scene where it is played in the movie adds to the tension.
    To end with the line "...he needs love." as the camera pans on Tracy finding Bond at the end of his rope. Masterful.

• Moonraker is the only theme I really don't like. It's too soft, too slow, and completely forgetful. Can't stand it!
    I hate the Duran Duran song of AVTAK, I'm sorry, It's followed by DAD and TND...
    Another Way To Die is just vile, I hate it, the titles don't help, its just yuck! I find I have differnt favourites, sometimes I listen to say On Her Majesties Secret Service instrumental title sequence and that's my favorite or say All Time High. I actually like all of the songs apart from AWTD. When im in the gym I often listen to the songs on my iPod apart from AWTD it just doesn't make you want to hear it, well me anyway. It actually annoys me that their are some great artists who announce they would love to do a bond theme and their talents aren't used, I know the marketing men and studio execs have their say, but could anyone at Eon actually thought AWTD was any good?? I bet their faces had the same look as when they first saw the CGI paragliding sequence from Die Another Day.
  • I can't decide between DAD and AWTD. Both are awful, and that is being kind.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited April 2012 Posts: 987
    I rather like AWTD, it's a very different sound for a Bond theme but like YKMN it works really well for Daniel Craig's modern interpretation on Bond. I do agree though that DAD is truly dreadful and must rank as the worst piece of title music in the entire franchise, in fact given the choice I would even have them use that awfull, cheesy 80's disco music from Hector Gonzales's pool scene in FYEO for the DAD title sequence rather than Madonna's effort. Still I suppose at least the quality of the song matched the quality of the film!
    saunders wrote:
    I rather like AWTD, it's a very different sound for a Bond theme but like YKMN it works really well for Daniel Craig's modern interpretation on Bond. I do agree though that DAD is truly dreadful and must rank as the worst piece of title music in the entire franchise, in fact given the choice I would even have them use that awfull, cheesy 80's disco music from Hector Gonzales's pool scene in FYEO for the DAD title sequence rather than Madonna's effort. Still I suppose at least the quality of the song matched the quality of the film!

Didn't think of it that way...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Surely this thread can be closed as, with the exception of 007RogerMoore, no one can be insane enough to argue that its not ANWTD?
    FYEO
    You Only Live Twice, easily. I just can't stand it, it's horrible! It's one of the only Bond main titles that I can't sit through honestly. This is where the skip button comes in handy!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Die Another Day. Truly.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    00Beast wrote:
    You Only Live Twice, easily. I just can't stand it, it's horrible! It's one of the only Bond main titles that I can't sit through honestly. This is where the skip button comes in handy!

I think you already posted this, sir.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2405/worst-bond-song/p1
  • My vote goes to Die Another Day. As well as the movie, it is bland and I can't stand Madonna. I used to like her, but not anymore. I just hate pop music. Sorry folks.
    JackDagger says Sheena Easton sounds drunk singing FYEO . Listen to Billie Holliday JackDagger - one hell of a tanked- up , brain sozzled ,drunken lush.( jazz critics think she's the greatest - 'jush anuther wun pleeesh!') OOBeast says he can't stand 'You Only Live Twice' . I love it , it's beautiful .It has a gentle , wistful Far Eastern sound. I despair of OOBeast this song is sung by Nancy Sinatra - the daughter of singer Frank Sinatra who I have just strongly recommended to OOBeast in another post.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2012 Posts: 4,043
    Madonna DAD is not the worst song of all time but it probably is one of the worst Bond themes but at least it tries something new both Sheryl Crowe's TND & Garbage's TWINE are dreary send me to sleep dirges.

As for AWTD I must admit to being biased being a big Jack White fan but I was quite a fan when it came out and the more I hear it with or without QOS I like it more, Brosnan's era with the exception of G.E has some worst themes of the series.
  • Another Way to Die, with a huge distance. I like every other song more or less, but I didn't manage to like this piece of crap.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    AWTD is at least got an exciting punch to it, TND & TWINE are supposed to get you ready for a Bond film continuing not bore you to death.

To say this is the worst when you have TND, TWINE & DAD.
    It's hard being objective about modern Bond tunes when the standard has fallen so far from the great heights that John Barry once set, but I find myself defending AWTD only because it wasn't half as bad as TND, TWINE and DAD. At least it had a gutsy intro that actually harked back to the LALD template before it. When it comes to playing the Bond songs on CD or MP3 I always skip TND, TWINE and DAD as they insult my musical sensibilities and bore me to inertia. I actually agree with Shardlake on this one.

And welcome to the forum, GoldenShadow, with your insightful critique of AWTD.
    Bonds songs I'm not fond of:

Nobody Does It Better (Shopping music)
    Moonraker (Even more shopping music)
    Octopussy (Yet even more shopping music)
    All Time High
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Die Another Day

The rest have varying charms, some more than others.

My favorite remains the Calypso arrangement of "Three Blind Mice"!
  • Cannot stand Tomorrow Never Dies...whiny nonsense
    Cannot stand Tomorrow Never Dies...whiny nonsense

:-L It's arguably one the finest intros of the last 25 years, if not beyond
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Cannot stand Tomorrow Never Dies...whiny nonsense

:-L It's arguably one the finest intros of the last 25 years, if not beyond
    It is a great intro. A stronger vocal would have made this song a classic. A great deal of the whiny quality comes from a strained vocal performance. I've always thought Christina Aguilera would have owned this song. As far as the topic is concerned; Die Another Day get's my vote as the worst. I'm also not too fond of Moonraker; with all due respect to Dame Shirley

I've never been much of a Bassey enthusiast either. Maybe she's not that bad a singer overall, but should of stayed away from all things James Bond in retrospect

And if Aguilera ever gets the opportunity to do a Bond theme.. I think I'll go offshore..
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    edited April 2012 Posts: 972
    I can actually live with Madonna's Die Another Day.. And I'm probably one of a few here that actually likes Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies, but I really hate the song used in Quantum of Solace... Another Way To Die... It was a garbled mess IMO and the lyrics were just bad.. Poorly done, not sure where they were headed with that song... Forgettable, thats for sure...
    TMWTGG - Shocking
    DAD - Positively Shocking.
    AWTD - Really Positively Shocking.
  • bondsum wrote:

Thanks! :) It's all about taste, I guess. As a fan I really tried to find something good about AWTD, but I couldn't find something. The "singing" is like strangling a cat to me. Whats the sense of a duet when the male part sounds like a woman too...
    Never liked Thunderball at all. Not a fan of TMWTGG either.

Of recent efforts the Twine and Dud tracks sucked big time.

Shame they didn't use Arnold's KD Lang tune as the main song for TND - it would have lifted the whole film. Crow's effort was weak but not the worst.
    Getafix wrote:
    Never liked Thunderball at all. Not a fan of TMWTGG either.

Of recent efforts the Twine and Dud tracks sucked big time.

Shame they didn't use Arnold's KD Lang tune as the main song for TND - it would have lifted the whole film. Crow's effort was weak but not the worst.

Yeah, I preferred Lang's theme for TND over Crow's. Every time I think of TND's theme, I usually hum the tune to the ending credits, which was Lang's version.
    bondsum wrote:

Thanks! :) It's all about taste, I guess. As a fan I really tried to find something good about AWTD, but I couldn't find something. The "singing" is like strangling a cat to me. Whats the sense of a duet when the male part sounds like a woman too...

Look... we got ourselves another Shadow

;))

Anyone who finds the awful Keys and White - awful, is being factual and correct. You can't say fairer than that. It's an abomination, a disaster, anything such you want to classify it as, I don't think I could ever listen to it again

Just in reference to more recent posts, Thunderball was OK, but Jones was suitable at the time of release, I think if they had tried it 10 or 15 years later it wouldn't have worked for me. Golden Gun is really energetic and lively, the best Lulu sounds I have heard other than 'The man who sold the world', not really a fan of the singer though

Garbage did Ok in 1999, not the best we ever had but by no means the worst with it, I could easily sit down and watch the credit intros with the background music playing. Nothing more needs to be said about Die Another Day. I would never in a thousand years want KD Lang as main song artist for Tomorrow Never Dies, it's an awful film, and not even Ms Crow could save it, but it's all very well and good she got to do the main theme, I wouldn't want it any other way