Bond 25 - Actor who would make a good main villain?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @Torgeirtrap, before seeing the first three seasons of Luther, I didn’t care for Ruth Wilson, at all. But, once I finished the marathon, I knew I loved her.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,241
    doubleoego wrote: »
    There are a tonne of actors tgat could 100% kill it as Bond villains. The PROBLEM though is the writing and directing. This couldn't be more apparent with the whole Waltz/Blofeld debacle. We can spend 6, 60 or 600 pages making suggestions but the FACT remains that as talented as an actor may be, if they're saddled with weak material and a director lacking the required stewardship it all means jack all.

No doubt about that @doubleoego. SP made Christoph Waltz look bad, IMO. If they had given him something to work with, his Blofeld could have been a memorable one as well. I always keep going back to Tarantino when it comes to Waltz. That opening scene in Inglourious Basterds is one of the most intense and terrifying scenes I've seen in a film the last decade. Unfortunately the SP script writers are far from Tarantino's level.
    @Torgeirtrap, before seeing the first three seasons of Luther, I didn’t care for Ruth Wilson, at all. But, once I finished the marathon, I knew I loved her.

I've actually never seen Luther, @ClarkDevlin – but Ruth Wilson is one of those actresses you probably have seen in something at some point. Yet, she's not too much of a household name, which can be an advantage as far as a casting of a Bond villain goes.
    Why when suggesting a new Rosa Klebb or Irma Bunt as a villain do people always mention good looking actresses?
    Is Anne Hegerty available?
  • I know that he's a slightly marmite actor - but Jared Leto could work. He seems like the sorta actor that Eon might go for, especially since they were considering Rami Malek (Both him and Leto have a similiar vibe). I'm calling this one now.

Leto is fairly picky with his film roles though - however, he does do a lot of tripe. He played a pretty uneventful Joker in the odious Suicide Squad. Though I feel that film wasn't his fault, in fact I think he showed promise in that role but the movie was positively toxic. However, I really liked what he did in Blade Runner 2049. He had a quiet menacing reverse. A cross between Jesus and Steve Jobs. It was a good performance with an Bond villain-esque tic (spoiler: he's blind).

2034234.jpg

He's a bit of a modern day Dorian Gray. Apparently, he's 46. He looks more like 26.
    With this buzz about Rami Malek allegedly being considered or being offered the part for the villain in Bond 25, I'm totally against it. I say, if the producers truly think he's villain material (I don't think he is), wait until after Craig leaves and they get a younger Bond. That way the match with Bond will be better, and Malek would be a little older--he's only 37 now. I was reminded that there have been some young Bond villains, like Toby Stephens in DAD and Sophie Marceau in TWINE. Both were 33. I don't know if Malek will ever look or sound the part--right now I say no. You can probably think of hundreds of other actors who look and sound much more menacing.
    That's the issue I have with Malik : too youthful, not dangerous looking enough. Stephens and Marceau both had the exact problem imo.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Stephens was a credible bastard to me who held himself up well against Bond.

Marceau was sadistic enough. Worked beautifully for me.

With Malik, they're going to go down the route of a Zuckerberg-inspired hipster who just happens to be a spoiled pompous brat. Having psychotic eyes don't make one credible villain enough to seek world domination. At best it's suited for a serial killer.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,241
    For me, it depends on the character re. Malek. If it's a character that fits his look and what he can bring to a role, I have no issue with him being cast. As a controversial opinion, I really liked Toby Stephens in DAD.

If he hadn't played a villain already, I wouldn't had been against Stephens being cast as Bond himself - around 05/06 or so. He has had the opportunity to portray Bond on radio, of course.

With Malik, they're going to go down the route of a Zuckerberg-inspired hipster who just happens to be a spoiled pompous brat. Having psychotic eyes don't make one credible villain enough to seek world domination. At best it's suited for a serial killer.

I never bought Stephens. Too petulant, too upbeat. I did not believe one minute that he was supposed to be a threat. The RoboCop suit didn't help. It was not entirely his fault, the way his character was written was the main issue, but Stephens also lacked maturity. Now he could look like a proper Bond villain. Marceau was never quite convincing as a sort of black widow. Renard I thought should have been the main villain.
  • Malek would be a pathetic villain, at best. Michael Shannon and Mark Strong are more serious ideas. As for Christoph Waltz, he is a genius, the best Blofeld since YOLT.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I never bought Stephens. Too petulant, too upbeat. I did not believe one minute that he was supposed to be a threat. The RoboCop suit didn't help. It was not entirely his fault, the way his character was written was the main issue, but Stephens also lacked maturity. Now he could look like a proper Bond villain. Marceau was never quite convincing as a sort of black widow. Renard I thought should have been the main villain.
    Don't know about you, but they worked perfectly fine for me. Stephens was mature enough despite his age, and Marceau delivered exactly what she was cast to do so. I can understand the sci-fi/Robo-suit angle, but the rest... I can't agree with, at all.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,241
    Although I don't mind Malek as a villain (great actor), having Michael Shannon play the main villain would be a great – and most of all intense experience!

Shannon_Boardwalk.gif
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,883
    The trouble with Malek in my view is that he is a bit too slight. He reminds me of Greene. Psychotic but not threatening enough. So if they are going to go with him, I think they need another villain as well, and I can't really see Malek playing second fiddle given his new found fame and success. So frankly I don't see him being selected, unless it's opposite a younger Bond actor.

I thought Stephens was more than adequate in DAD. He overplayed it, but then again that was a film full of overdone acting and he wasn't alone. It is the Austin Powers or Batman and Robin of Bond films. Tonally he worked within the context of the film they made.

I too never found Marceau or Caryle up to the job. I think the film could have been much better if these two roles were played by other actors.
    Thinking of Malek and how he could be used in B25; what I'd like most of all is an ensemble of villains, similar to FRWL. He could be a great Kronsteen like character. Add a Rosa Klebb and a Red Grant like character, and you're looking at a very interesting set of villains.
    As long as he's not the main villain but someone's underling, I'm fine with it. He's far too away from being a main villain material.
    Thinking of Malek and how he could be used in B25; what I'd like most of all is an ensemble of villains, similar to FRWL. He could be a great Kronsteen like character. Add a Rosa Klebb and a Red Grant like character, and you're looking at a very interesting set of villains.

I could see it working, unfortunately I don't see them taking that route.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Watched White Mischief recently and was struck by the fact Joss Ackland was born to be a Bond villain.

Greta Scachi is on fire in that film as well.

Dance arguably would have made a decent Bond too.

Deakins did the camera work which is a nice twist.

• edited February 2019 Posts: 1,469
    Getafix wrote: »
    Watched White Mischief recently and was struck by the fact Joss Ackland was born to be a Bond villain...Dance arguably would have made a decent Bond too.
    I think you're totally right about Ackland! But do you mean was, or still could. He's 90 and kind of looking it, from some photos I've seen. "Goldfinger" was about 51. "Stromberg" was 62. They could bring back Charles Dance as a villain.
    Thinking of Malek and how he could be used in B25; what I'd like most of all is an ensemble of villains, similar to FRWL.
    I can see that working too. I'm new to the thread, but last night started looking mainly at European possibilities and seconded what someone said about Clive Owens, and Willem Defoe. What about Paul Bettany; Joaquim de Almeida (Clear and Present Danger); Terence Stamp; Malcolm McDowell, though I don't favor McDowell. Anthony Hopkins? I'd also be happy to go with an unknown if he's right for the part.
    Ackland is too old now sadly.
  • Surprised to see some trepidation concerning Malek.

If I hadn’t seen him in anything, I’d also be anxious that he was short and odd looking. So it’s natural to think in first blush that he isn’t intimidating enough.

However, you should watch Mr Robot, because if you have you’d know how suited he is. He has this detached and mananical quality. It’s chilling. The character is also sympathetic - which is a testament to Malek’s character.

He can be very menacing. Just see this clip as a taster. It’s from the opening scene where he traps an Internet paedophile.

If they were to use him, he’d have to play a cold, calculating threat.
    I did see the first ten episodes of Mr. Robot. And I still don't see him as a main villain material.

A secondary Kronsteen type? That's a different story.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I did see the first ten episodes of Mr. Robot. And I still don't see him as a main villain material.

They need to fit in Waltz somewhere so that works.

I can see that somewhat working.

I can see that somewhat working.

Me too.
    Michael Shannon can be seriously scary !
    Christopher Plummer?
    Christopher Plummer?

Too old now. I'd also add that he's a tad too handsome for a Bond villain. His face lacks creepiness and cruelty.
    Yes probably too old but I think he could have pulled off the villain role
    Yes probably too old but I think he could have pulled off the villain role

He's a great actor so yes he could have had. With some makeup.