Which actor would make a good Bond villain?

Comments

With all the rumours about Benedict Cucumberbitch as the next villain, what do people think of that? I guess it depends on the role.

He'll be a younger villain than Bond himself, much like Christopher Walken in AVTAK. An intense, crazy sort of character like Walken's Max Zorin, maybe?
    With all the rumours about Benedict Cucumberbitch as the next villain, what do people think of that? I guess it depends on the role.

He was a great Smaug (one of the few good things about The Hobbit) but a very unconvincing Khan. And in a Bond movie I'd rather have villains that are not played by British actors.
    Who to say Mr Hinx is dead ,there's a lot of Jaws references with the barrel's
    If you want a female killer Gwendoline Christie from game of thrones ,alternatively Jee Ja Yanin from martial art movie Chocolate or Sylvia Hoeks from Bladerunner 2049.
    Kate Blanchett as the main boss could be good bet ,good actor and has just played Hela

Jared Harris ,Nikolaj Coster-Waldau or Edward James Olmos
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Good call on Christie- hadn't considered her for Bond, but she's great in GoT. Craig's era could really use some female villains!
    Cate Blanchett is my favourite actress but I'd rather have her play a Tracy like Bond girl than a villainess.

Gwendoline Christie I'd rather not: her Phasma or Plasma or whatever is Star Wars was heavily criticised and would bring comparisons automatically. If they go the Got route they could have one of the actors playing The Mountain as a henchman.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Jurgen Prochnow
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Jurgen Prochnow
    He was great in Beverly Hills Cop 2, in 24 and in The Da Vinci Code.

"Mister Foleehy! You have involved yourself in beeezinneess that does not concern you. That was a mistake!"

---

I'd like to see Matthias Schoenaerts as a villain. He nailed it in Red Sparrow, giving off an icy cold, intelligent and devious demeanour perfectly suited for Bond.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Maybe these guys as the Spang Brothers?

316993009.jpg

;) ;) ;)

*havetogo*
    It has to be someone who looks both cerebral and has a physicality to them. Please no more angry nerds or weirdos. Think of Liam Neeson in Batman Begins. Someone who comes across right from the get go as someone you don't want to cross.
    It has to be someone who looks both cerebral and has a physicality to them. Please no more angry nerds or weirdos. Think of Liam Neeson in Batman Begins. Someone who comes across right from the get go as someone you don't want to cross.
    Liam's Henri Ducard (aka Ra's Al Ghul) is one of the greats. I was blown away by his performance, and continue to be every time I view the film. I agree on having someone who is both physically imposing as well as intellectual. It makes for a deadly combination.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Liam's Henri Ducard (aka Ra's Al Ghul) is one of the greats. I was blown away by his performance, and continue to be every time I view the film. I agree on having someone who is both physically imposing as well as intellectual. It makes for a deadly combination.

My kind of villain, but challenging to find an actor with the right skills to play the complexity. Ciaran Hinds would be great, but he's getting old.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,261
    bondjames wrote: »
    Jurgen Prochnow
    He was great in Beverly Hills Cop 2, in 24 and in The Da Vinci Code.

"Mister Foleehy! You have involved yourself in beeezinneess that does not concern you. That was a mistake!"

---

I'd like to see Matthias Schoenaerts as a villain. He nailed it in Red Sparrow, giving off an icy cold, intelligent and devious demeanour perfectly suited for Bond.

25 or 30 years ago, I would've liked Jürgen Prochnow to be a Bond villain, now he is way too old.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I want Viggo Mortensen and Stellan Skarsgard as ally or villain, in any new Bond film. Both are wonderful, strong actors.

Also, I couldn't figure out where to put this, so I'll leave it here:
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I just finished watching The Alienist, and I would love to see Daniel Bruhl play a Bond villain. He actually would've been my choice to play Ernst Stavro Blofeld. While younger than Craig, he could've been really interesting. I'm also aware that the backstory would have to be different, but I know a lot of us here are not opposed to that :D

2e24080844a119bdf3a23f2584275cef.jpg
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I just finished watching The Alienist, and I would love to see Daniel Bruhl play a Bond villain. He actually would've been my choice to play Ernst Stavro Blofeld. While younger than Craig, he could've been really interesting. I'm also aware that the backstory would have to be different, but I know a lot of us here are not opposed to that :D

He could pass as older I think. Or he could play Blofeld against Craig's successor.

Heck, I'd rather have him as the main villain than Malik!
    Daniel Bruhl would be great in a villain role. I won't be surprised if he gets the chance to play one at some point.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Ludovico wrote: »

He could pass as older I think. Or he could play Blofeld against Craig's successor.

Heck, I'd rather have him as the main villain than Malik!
    Same here.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

To be honest, it may have been more interesting if Blofeld was younger. They could have carried over one of the concepts from Skyfall...

"It's a young man's game." - Gareth Mallory.

I also think it would add more menace to the character. Although, I wouldn't out right mention he was younger or have the idea spelled out for us. It could just be a little a small touch. I also think it'd be interesting that all these dangerous people work for this man, and he's younger than quite a few of them. It adds a level of menace.

To be honest, I think I've just found my Ernst Stavro Blofeld for my rewrite of the 24th James Bond film, although my Blofeld will remain in the shadows for this film, appearing in the next one as the main villain.

To be honest, it may have been more interesting if Blofeld was younger. They could have carried over one of the concepts from Skyfall...

I also think it would add more menace to the character. Although, I wouldn't out right mention he was younger or have the idea spelled out for us. It could just be a little a small touch. I also think it'd be interesting that all these dangerous people work for this man, and he's younger than quite a few of them. It adds a level of menace.

To be honest, I think I've just found my Ernst Stavro Blofeld for my rewrite of the 24th James Bond film, although my Blofeld will remain in the shadows for this film, appearing in the next one as the main villain.

make sure Babs get a copy of that rewrite!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Haha I'll see what I can do :) You like the idea then?

An excellent choice. I've suggested him on this board previously too. Frankly, I'm not sure why it hasn't happened in some capacity yet. He's highly charismatic, and his style and approach are perfectly suited to a Bond film.

For Bond villains in general and Blofeld in particular, I think it makes far more sense to have him older. Fleming wrote him as a middle aged man in his late 40s, early 50s, for one, and unlike Bond he is not an operative but in a very high position of leadership. Bond is not his opposite number, M is. And a man who set up such organisation is likely to be older, more experienced and having developed a network of contacts and allies.

Haha I'll see what I can do :) You like the idea then?

Anything but the SP we got! I really don't mind a younger Blofeld. Might be a controversial opinion, but with the right script and direction, it could have worked out well.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,834

For Bond villains in general and Blofeld in particular, I think it makes far more sense to have him older. Fleming wrote him as a middle aged man in his late 40s, early 50s, for one, and unlike Bond he is not an operative but in a very high position of leadership. Bond is not his opposite number, M is. And a man who set up such organisation is likely to be older, more experienced and having developed a network of contacts and allies.

All very true, but I still think it could be an interesting idea. We all thought that Q could only be played by an older actor, until we saw Skyfall. It's definitely possible to do, as long as it's well written and realised.

Although they'd have to change a lot of the stuff you've mentioned, mainly the original backstory, although we don't really know much about him apart from the fact that had set up the organisation, and I have personally retconned the Craig-era attempt at his backstory, just like I've retconned Raoul Silva being a part of SPECTRE.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541

All very true, but I still think it could be an interesting idea. We all thought that Q could only be played by an older actor, until we saw Skyfall. It's definitely possible to do, as long as it's well written and realised.

Although they'd have to change a lot of the stuff you've mentioned, mainly the original backstory, although we don't really know much about him apart from the fact that had set up the organisation, and I have personally retconned the Craig-era attempt at his backstory, just like I've retconned Raoul Silva being a part of SPECTRE.

I like the idea as well and it could work just because Blofeld is in his 40s doesn't mean he can't be menacing or physically intimidating, look at Liam Neeson from Batman Begins.

Q was not an original Fleming character though. It was a code name as well, defined by Llewelyn, who became so popular in the role to the point of stretching credibility (an elderly Q way pass retirement age who knew all about the latest technological advancements). A younger Q made far more sense than say an elderly John Cleese. They could have gone for a military looking man in his forties or so and made a closer connection with Boothroyd, but I understand they didn’t want a poor man’s Llewelyn. In any case, I’d rather have Blofeld a mature man than a Joffrey Baratheon or a Caligula.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK

Q was not an original Fleming character though. It was a code name as well, defined by Llewelyn, who became so popular in the role to the point of stretching credibility (an elderly Q way pass retirement age who knew all about the latest technological advancements). A younger Q made far more sense than say an elderly John Cleese. They could have gone for a military looking man in his forties or so and made a closer connection with Boothroyd, but I understand they didn’t want a poor man’s Llewelyn. In any case, I’d rather have Blofeld a mature man than a Joffrey Baratheon or a Caligula.

Again, all good points, but I'm not implying that Q was a Fleming creation and I know it's easier to change a character of that origin because it has no major ties to any source material. I'm also definitely not trying to say that Ernst Stavro Blofeld could be a character in the vein of Joffrey Baratheon. Definitely not, that would just be silly.

Although, I am saying that having an actor a bit younger than Craig himself could be done, and it doesn't even need to have an effect on the story. This is all just my visualisation and opinion that Daniel Bruhl, while younger than Daniel Craig, would have been a really interesting choice for Blofeld. I think the characterisation would be in line with Telly Savalas' portrayal. A match for 007 in more ways than one, and there are many clever ways you can still have him be the leader of such an organisation as SPECTRE.

But I can understand why you'd want to stick with a mature actor. Just an idea :)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,834
    After seeing The King, I actually think Robert Pattinson would make a good creepy villain...

robert-pattinson-the-king.jpg
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Sorry @Denbigh I may be in the minority here, he could be a decent actor from what I have seen but I don't want him anywhere near bond film. Just my opinion :)
    I miss the days when the villain was almost always significantly older than Bond. Christpher Plummer? Stellan Skarsgard.