No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I think Craig has gotten better actors to commit to Bond.

Collectively, Mikkelsen, Amalric, Bardem, and Waltz are a better group of actors than Bean, Pryce, Marceau/Carlyle, and Stephens, but even a very good actor like Waltz can't do much with a bad script.
    Sean bean is arguably better than all of Craig's films actors.
    Gonna struggle to ever match the Skyfall cast in terms of calibre considering it's got Finney AND Bardem. No sense trying really.

Everyone trying to come up with rules and whatnot is a laugh. There is no rule and there is no formula that works. Each film is an individual production and you have to make decisions according to what the script and aesthetic demands. The concept of Skyfall (positing that Bond has become a figure of legend) demands a high wattage cast. But that doesn't translate to other films.

Btw pretty sure Lotte Lenya was a big deal as an Oscar nominee who was namechecked in "Mack the Knife"
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    echo wrote: »
    Collectively, Mikkelsen, Amalric, Bardem, and Waltz are a better group of actors than Bean, Pryce, Marceau/Carlyle, and Stephens

Bean, Pryce, Carlyle and Stephens are all great actors. It's very hard to say which group is better.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Sean bean is arguably better than all of Craig's films actors.

Sean Bean is the best post Dalton adversary, GE is great
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    @Denbigh the best bond characters have been played beautifully by nobodys. Who was Eva green- who was Mads Mikkelsen- who was Jeffrey Wright- who was Jesper Christiansen. And they are all fantastic. And then we have Christoph Waltz, a famous actor, and he sucks

Roger Moore, Javier Bardem, Chrisopher Lee?

• edited February 2019 Posts: 725
    Have been reading but not posting for a long while. Agree with some references about problems with Fiennes in SP. Logan’s script had Fiennes as a double agent, a not unique occurance in past British intelligence history. It would have added extra tension to the script, not to mention kept it tighter. But Fiennes refused to play the villain in the script as written, and EON very unwisely caved in to him. The script had to undergo a major rewrite to create C to allow the crucial plot point to move forward.

I always thought it was a critical mistake for EON not to deal with Fiennes ego. The character of C added wasted screen time and extra narrative to accommodate the last minute script contrivance rewrite and no doubt the script rewrite added greatly to the chaos surrounding the development of SP. It weakened the entire film, particularly the last half. Hopefully Bond 25 will give us less M, and more Bond.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,541
    @Denbigh the best bond characters have been played beautifully by nobodys. Who was Eva green- who was Mads Mikkelsen- who was Jeffrey Wright- who was Jesper Christiansen. And they are all fantastic. And then we have Christoph Waltz, a famous actor, and he sucks

I agree there is something exciting about casting an unknown for the role.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Re: Fiennes M. The difference with Fiennes M is that he wasn't presented fully formed like Bernard Lee or Judi Dench. He was an M after an established M, new to the position.

That's the reason he's used for the storytelling. Bond is flip with M when questioned on what happened in Mexico--at that point, it's better for M not to know. M learns this over the course of the film, and later when Q and Moneypenny approach him in the restaurant he's firmed up. Bond must operate on his own to overcome the bad guys. M trusts his judgment and when Bond asks for assistance he's ready to give it.

Similar to Bond's exchange with Dench M from Austria in Quantum of Solace. M accuses OO7 of killing everyone he's come into contact with. Bond doesn't stop to defend himself and give detail that will put M at risk. It's the longtime role played by Connery Bond and Moore Bond and all Bonds: take the dressing down from the boss, but continue the mission.
    smitty wrote: »
    Have been reading but not posting for a long while. Agree with some references about problems with Fiennes in SP. Logan’s script had Fiennes as a double agent, a not unique occurance in past British intelligence history. It would have added extra tension to the script, not to mention kept it tighter. But Fiennes refused to play the villain in the script as written, and EON very unwisely caved in to him. The script had to undergo a major rewrite to create C to allow the crucial plot point to move forward.

I always thought it was a critical mistake for EON not to deal with Fiennes ego. The character of C added wasted screen time and extra narrative to accommodate the last minute script contrivance rewrite and no doubt the script rewrite added greatly to the chaos surrounding the development of SP. It weakened the entire film, particularly the last half. Hopefully Bond 25 will give us less M, and more Bond.

Very well said. Casting someone who won't do what they're told is not good casting.
    Apprently there are lot of new Bond articles on : https://www.varingen.no/
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    On the topic of casting famous actors, here is what I’ll say:
    It’s not that casting famous people is bad, as lots have mentioned, Javier Bardem is great. However a lot of the hallmarks of the bond franchise, were nobody’s. Bernard Lee, Lois Maxwell, Desmond Llewelyn, Sean Connery. The bond franchise has shown time and tome again that they can find these seemingly random people that are perfect for a role and show them to the world. So it’s not like they cant hire someone famous, but it’s more like that seems like a bit of a lazy option.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote: »

Very well said. Casting someone who won't do what they're told is not good casting.

To be fair to Fiennes, he wasn't wrong about it being an awful idea either, though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

To be fair to Fiennes, he wasn't wrong about it being an awful idea either, though.
    Agreed.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,241
    They were good character actors not well known outside their own home countries.

This is a model Bond should always follow IMO.

Mikkelson is excellent as Le Chiffre. A good unshowy villain.

I personally didn't mind Amelrics turn in QOS although I understand why people are underwhelmed.

David Harbour was a great bit of casting in QOS as well - look whats happened to his career.

I struggle to think of any equally satisfying casting in SF and SP. Some good actors were cast in barely speaking roles which seems a real waste.
    Ola Rapace was wasted in that non-speaking role in SF. They could at least have given him a couple of lines.

Apprently there are lot of new Bond articles on : https://www.varingen.no/
    Those articles are most likely related to the news from yesterday. Unfortunately they're behind a paywall, so I can't access them.
    They were good character actors not well known outside their own home countries.

I personally didn't mind Amelrics turn in QOS although I understand why people are underwhelmed.

David Harbour was a great bit of casting in QOS as well - look whats happened to his career.

I struggle to think of any equally satisfying casting in SF and SP. Some good actors were cast in barely speaking roles which seems a real waste.

Ola Rapace was wasted in that non-speaking role in SF. They could at least have given him a couple of lines.
    "Who do you work for? Who do you work for?"
    "Cai-Cai-Cairo!"

"Cai-Cai-Cairo!"

Edited! Forgot about that.

Edit 2: I've clearly not woken up yet :))
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,423

"Cai-Cai-Cairo!"

In an alternate scene, he says "Mac-Mac-Macau!!".

"Cai-Cai-Cairo!"

In an alternate scene, he says "Mac-Mac-Macau!!".

Better than nothing!
    Great news about Norway.

I still hope Malik is just a rumour. He looks too youthful and can't picture him as being menacing against Craig. If he is cast as the villain I'll be open to the idea of course, but I can't say I like it now.

Now about the Shatterhand title, and I know it is probably just a rumour gone wild. But I have an hypothesis : could it be a working title "promoted" to official title?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Shat'erhand: Bond goes to the bottom this time around
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Could be that Shatterhand is just the working title, choosen symbolically this time around only because it's Craig final film. Occam's Razor, this one, at least in my head.

Great news about Norway. That house has a large window on the ground floor, seems like something you'd do if you wanted to enjoy the view. Before it all goes sky hight, I mean ;)

About Lupita, good casting I suppose, and I only suppose because I don't know her part, if there is a part for her. Still hoping for Malek being a villain. I can totally see him as a blind villain, with those big eyes starring into the void while he madly conjures an evil plot.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Univex wrote: »
    Could be that Shatterhand is just the working title, choosen symbolically this time around only because it's Craig final film. Occam's Razor, this one, at least in my head.

Great news about Norway. That house has a large window on the ground floor, seems like something you'd do if you wanted to enjoy the view. Before it all goes sky hight, I mean ;)

About Lupita, good casting I suppose, and I only suppose because I don't know her part, if there is a part for her. Still hoping for Malek being a villain. I can totally see him as a blind villain, with those big eyes starring into the void while he madly conjures an evil plot.

The blind villain conceit is terrific - though I think the tabloids stole the idea from a continuation novel. Also...Blade Runner 2049 did the exact same thing with their villain played by Jared Leto. So I doubt Eon will do it this time.

I suspect that now the Emma Stone rumour has been debunked, this means Dakota Johnson's chances have also diminished.

If Harris does have a big role in the film, then this would be a rare case of Eon going after POC for lead roles. we'd have Lupita, Rami and Naomie in leading roles. This wouldn't just be bait casting, but Eon going after some seriously talented indivduals, who just so happen to be POC.

• QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    If we are going to have black Bond girl in the next film my candidate would be Janelle Monáe.

a50c2d20-1acb-46be-8c9a-85addc9d046b.png?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Just caught up on everything that's been happening here over the past few weeks.

So yet another delay? It doesn't surprise me in the slightest although it's rather disappointing. I can understand the rationale however, as it's a better release window than the one they had previously. I never believed they would release this film on February 14th, 2020. I'm quite certain that MGM will want this film released in the earlier part of 2020 in order to book all profits within the next fiscal year, so this should be the final date now. I agree with members who think EON's announcement left a lot to be desired, to put it mildly. The most interesting part of the entire thing for me is the term 'overhaul' in the article. Most interesting indeed.

I am not enthused about Lupita Nyong'o being rumoured for the film. There is an air of predictability about her, similar to Waltz in 2015. If you had asked me to select an actress who could tick a box and who has contemporary attraction, she would be high (or perhaps even top) on my list. Word of an expanded role for Harris similarly leaves me quite discouraged. I'm with those who think we should have unknown actors (preferably European) in this film.

I don't believe the title will be Shatterhand, especially after it's been rumoured for so long.

Anyway, those are my two cents on this. My anticipation remains tepid for this film at the moment.

@Pierce2Daniel, thanks for the research from the web and for the analysis. Much appreciated.
    QQ7 wrote: »
    If we are going to have black Bond girl in the next film my candidate would be Janelle Monáe.

a50c2d20-1acb-46be-8c9a-85addc9d046b.png?w=970&h=546&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

Never seen her act, but they could definitely have her sing the tune! She featured on a Duran Duran song not long ago, as well:

• edited February 2019 Posts: 6,665
    bondjames wrote: »
    My anticipation remains tepid for this film at the moment.

Must say I feel the same way. Still hopeful that'll change though. And I keep telling myself that my anticipation for SP was trough the roof and that it all ended up bellow the sea level. So, who knows? So far, the best news, for me, has been Fukunaga.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    @Torgeirtrap She was in "Hidden Figures" and "Monnlight" (Best Motion Picture of the Year winner).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Must say I feel the same way. Still hopeful that'll change though. And I keep telling myself that my anticipation for SP was trough the roof and that it all ended up bellow the sea level. So, who knows? So far, the best news, for me, has been Fukunaga.
    I agree on Fukunaga, and you're right about measured expectations as well. Mine were similarly excessive for SP, and I paid a massive price. Perhaps those of us who aren't as excited will be blown away this time out. One can only hope.

Given what he did on True Detective, that's my opinion as well. The rest of the news/rumours haven't really made me jump with excitement, although I do find Rami Malek to be a good actor – I just wonder what type of character they have in mind for him (should he be cast).

Hope Norway will feature though (as Norway). Still no official confirmation yet, if we're to believe this quote from Communications advisor Gro Rognmo in the Norwegian Film Institute, from a Nettavisen article yesterday:

"They've probably considering other places to shoot, and they have until April to accept the offer we have given them. We do hope they say "yes", and that there will be production of James Bond in Norway".
    QQ7 wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap She was in "Hidden Figures" and "Monnlight" (Best Motion Picture of the Year winner).

Didn't know that! She has the Bond girl look for sure.