No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    FourDot wrote: »
    Sorry to say but the fan base isn't what makes a film succeed or fail, it's the interest of the general audience. 95% of members here will front up for B25 in theatres no matter what EoN does or doesn't do, that's not who they have to work on.

Most members of the GA have an interest level of "Is Idris the new Bond?" to "Are they doing another one?" to "Whatever." at this point

I honestly think if EON could up their PR, and make some bold choices (casting an unconventional Bond actor) a new movie could garner tons more attention.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I'm perfectly happy with EON playing their cards close to the chest. In this day and age we can't help but spoil films for ourselves before they are even released.

To be honest I would be quite happy if all we found out in the press conference (assuming there will be one) was the title.

As much as I have maligned the latter part of Craig's era, and the man himself I really hope Fukanaga and co can give him a send off as rousing as his debut.
    Hey we all said the same thing about Quantum of solace and look what happened
    Another delay is frustrating. However, I'd rather they get it right then rush something. But then again, here we are 3.5 years after the last film and they don't even have a script ready? It's ridiculous and unprofessional to be at this point.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Risico007 wrote: »
    What did we say about Quantum of Solace?
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires

I think that's what happened with Forster. EON gave him too much carte blanche it turned far too artsy. Now they learnt the lesson and that's why they put a stop to Boyle's ideas, which resulted in him leaving the project.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I'm perfectly happy with EON playing their cards close to the chest. In this day and age we can't help but spoil films for ourselves before they are even released.

To be honest I would be quite happy if all we found out in the press conference (assuming there will be one) was the title.

As much as I have maligned the latter part of Craig's era, and the man himself I really hope Fukanaga and co can give him a send off as rousing as his debut.

I think all the unfortunate leaking of the SPECTRE script caused them to change stuff (dialogues, scenes, executions) that resulted in the third act being uninteresting. There are quite a few things from the original drafts that I preferred (Bond confronting C and not M, more dialogue referenced to Vesper to understand why Bond needed Madeleine, etc). But I guess EON felt blown after the leak and they had to reshape a few things to give us "a surprise".

So, now I quite get their lack of communication. I daresay they don't even send themselves the scripts via mail now and they all (MGW, BB, Fukunaga, Universal, Annapurna, MGM, Craig, P&W, Burns) just get together to discuss anything related to the story.
    Roadphill wrote: »

This.

I know it's frustrating. But in an era with such a deluge of information about movies before we see them, where the experience is as much about what happens on your laptop in the preceding months as what happens on the screen in the actual cinema -- not knowing a thing about Bond 25 is a welcome change.

The discontent right now is to be expected. We're all fans, we want this as soon as possible, and on the B25 road we've been particular "drip-teased" -- we've thought we were in motion a few times, only to have the rug pulled out. The fanbase is understandably sensitive. And for the particularly hardcore folks who post on forums like these, perhaps even more so.

But look. This all goes away the second they have the press release. EON knows that, and knows the importance of maximizing the impact of that announcement -- for eyeballs, for inspiration, for hype. They don't "owe" us anything now.

The smartest play is to say as little as possible until the opportune moment where saying it will have the greatest impact.

And then after that moment, we'll hear precisely the opposite complaints. There's a deluge of information. Set reports. Spoilers. "We know too much!" The standard run-up to a Bond film where the fans are able to piece together the entire film's structure based on leaks and trailers, to the point where you're utterly unsurprised by even the biggest of plot twists.

This moment certainly isn't pleasant. But I'm trying to enjoy it for what it is.

Remington wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    At this rate QOS will end up being the most conventional Bond film of Craig's tenure.

It actually has a lot of traditional elements to it. Took a while for me to realize it.

QOS is really underrated for that. SPECTRE, too.
    I'm struggling to see the connection between a previous hack and how they market themselves in the present. If you want to prevent another hack, you invest in better data security. How is that related to marketing/PR?

That the title was never going to be used and then it was
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    patb wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see the connection between a previous hack and how they market themselves in the present. If you want to prevent another hack, you invest in better data security. How is that related to marketing/PR?

I think the problem was that too much of the story had been leaked and that Blofeld's identity was already out there. Would SP have had a stronger impact if the Blofeld reveal was a complete surprise? Maybe. (But EON might have also been kidding themselves in thinking audiences weren't going to figure out that Waltz was playing Blofeld.)
    TripAces wrote: »

I think the problem was that too much of the story had been leaked and that Blofeld's identity was already out there. Would SP have had a stronger impact if the Blofeld reveal was a complete surprise? Maybe. (But EON might have also been kidding themselves in thinking audiences weren't going to figure out that Waltz was playing Blofeld.)

Perhaps. In fact they should have framed Denbigh as the leading villain, as just another SPECTRE agent and then -surprise- Waltz is Blofeld! But still, kinda hard to achieve in the days of globalization.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    TripAces wrote: »

Perhaps. In fact they should have framed Denbigh as the leading villain, as just another SPECTRE agent and then -surprise- Waltz is Blofeld! But still, kinda hard to achieve in the days of globalization.

Even if the story framed Denbigh as the leading villain before the reveal, the world still would've known because of the leaks. I would've preferred if Oberhauser wasn't the leader of Blofeld after all and just a top operative, with the real Number 1 being in the shadows the entire time.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Okay, I'm not in the 'scoop' game and this is fairly logical anyway. But...through a friend I've been able to meet a girl who works at Pinewood (something to do with a production guild).

She's told me about the Cats production which was shooting there. Apparently, it's gonna involve partially live-action/partially CGI costumes (sounds pretty bad to me) but she seems optimistic.

Anyway, she has access to Pinewood's schedule and confirmed to me that filming on Bond 25 begins April 5th 2019. Apparently, no information is listed regarding shooting locations which she says is unusual. She says she should know a lot more once shooting begins.

I have no reason to think she's lying. I've seen photos of her at Pinewood and she couldn't give a shit about Bond 25, she only checked because I asked.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Okay, I'm not in the 'scoop' game and this is fairly logical anyway. But...through a friend I've been able to meet a girl who works at Pinewood (something to do with a production guild).

She's told me about the Cats production which was shooting there. Apparently, it's gonna involve partially live-action/partially CGI costumes (sounds pretty bad to me) but she seems optimistic.

Anyway, she has access to Pinewood's schedule and confirmed to me that filming on Bond 25 begins April 5th 2019. Apparently, no information is listed regarding shooting locations which she says is unusual. She says she should know a lot more once shooting begins.

I have no reason to think she's lying. I've seen photos of her at Pinewood and she couldn't give a shit about Bond 25, she only checked because I asked.

That's certainly noteworthy, thanks @Pierce2Daniel. 5th April isn't as bad of a delay as some others may have predicted, just a month after the previously known production start date. It'll give time for Burns to complete his changes to the script and the cast to get to rehearse, the crew a little more time to prepare to make B25 as great of a film as possible.
  • Risico007 wrote: »

Some Bond Fans say that Ian Fleming's titles, like "007 In New York" or "The Hildebrand Rarity" can not be used for a movie today. Because they're not commercial titles. But if EON used "Quantum Of Solace", which is the most complicated of all, so of course yes...yes they can use any of those that are available from Fleming.

The title is important, it's one of the first thing that catches the attention and engages with the public when it's promoted. But the most important thing is the content of the story, it's the script, the plot. Think about the public of the 60's when they heard that the next Bond movie was titled "From Russia With Love" or "The Spy Who Loved Me" or "For Your Eyes Only". Those are titles heard for a movie with a romantic content and not action or adventure movie and much less for a movie of a spy.

What I want to say is that don't be afraid if EON uses "007 In New York" in the future. We've seen it all, the biggest risk they did with "Quantum Of Solace" that in some non-English speaking countries the title was not translated.

My proposal is that "BOND 25" will be titled "The Property Of A Lady" and even that title some people don't like it.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

At this point, this makes the most sense. How long will it be though before that date becomes May 5th, or June 5th, and so in and so forth?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

The only difference between Quantum and Hildebrand is that Quantum was not mentioned or used in any capacity in a prior film. Hildebrand is used as the name of that safe house. Already made a point out of it up there. In a Craig era continuity, it will not be used, because it won’t make any sense unless they go out of their way to announce SP is non-canonical. Otherwise, if it’s set in another continuity, I don’t see why it can’t be used.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

At this point, this makes the most sense. How long will it be though before that date becomes May 5th, or June 5th, and so in and so forth?

who knows I am still having fun
    We’ll see. April 5 sounds logical right now, but we don’t know if it will get pushed again or not. Depends on how happy they are with whatever Burns turns in I suppose. I hope this will finally convince them to not bring back P&W, as they always end up having to find and pay more outside writers.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 1,755
    FoxRox wrote: »
    We’ll see. April 5 sounds logical right now, but we don’t know if it will get pushed again or not. Depends on how happy they are with whatever Burns turns in I suppose. I hope this will finally convince them to not bring back P&W, as they always end up having to find and pay more outside writers.

I’d honestly hate to think that after all is said and done he turns in a polished script that no one is still happy with. Then they might as well delay the film to November 2020.
  • If there were to be a "best" worst case scenario. A delay to Nov 2020 to further work on, or start from scratch, a script would make sense. The "worst" scenario is the delay causes enormous uncertainty and Craig drops out & we lose another director.

I just hope that Scott Burns polishes the script to perfection so we get on with filming.
    November 2020 is too far. The script is already a mess, it'll probably turn out a little better than spectre but too many cooks were in the kitchen on this one. Either April 2020 or just scrap it and start over with a new actor/era. Too much time wasted.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I wonder if we will hear anything from Daniel this week during the Oscars

The only difference between Quantum and Hildebrand is that Quantum was not mentioned or used in any capacity in a prior film. Hildebrand is used as the name of that safe house. Already made a point out of it up there. In a Craig era continuity, it will not be used, because it won’t make any sense unless they go out of their way to announce SP is non-canonical. Otherwise, if it’s set in another continuity, I don’t see why it can’t be used.

And now you've got me dreaming that Bond 25 opens with Craig in the hospital after having fallen off the viaduct in the opening of Skyfall.

• lol. If you scroll up you can see my original message. Shout out to the guy who quoted me on twitter though.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.

lol. If you scroll up you can see my original message. Shout out to the guy who quoted me on twitter though.

So the press conference will be on April 5th which is a Friday
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    I wonder if we will hear anything from Daniel this week during the Oscars

Doubtful.