No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I would hope that the new guy is firmly in the cross hairs and a decent handful of treatments exist.
    I doubt it very much.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    I would hope that the new guy is firmly in the cross hairs and a decent handful of treatments exist.
    I doubt it very much.

I wonder how much a three-pager would cost. For a top-line writer, maybe 10-20k?

I’d be surprised if EON didn’t have a few ideas. The longer an incumbent actor’s tenure goes on, the more “offcuts” you’d accumulate that didn’t fit into the current template for whatever reason.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited February 2019 Posts: 467
    Denbigh wrote: »
    If people would still like to wrap their heads around the delay, here's an article covering all possibilities, written by Jack Lugo over on James Bond Radio:

http://jamesbondradio.com/processing-the-latest-bond-25-developments/

The author makes very reasonable suppositions. I'm not an insider at all, and I don't work in this industry, but I try to follow how films get developed and produced, and it's almost always a convoluted process. Delays can come from somewhat "minor" issues rather than being the symptoms for a huge problem.

For instance, it could be that EON and Fukunaga were a little optimistic in September when they assumed they could start production in March and release the film in February 2020. I don't understand why people would conclude that things have been going sour lately. Let's say, on the contrary, that they finally noticed some big issues with the script that nobody had spotted until then. Like Blofeld as a foster brother-big.

In this kind of production, it's a given that they pay a hefty sum to a series of guys billed as "consultants" to read a draft and to make observations on it. That's one of the tasks of a script doctor. For Bond, they would get asked, under NDA, to read a printed copy in a secure room and to highlight during a meeting what doesn't work and what should be changed. That's an actual skill for script doctors and producers/show runners. Many people can find a script unsatisfying or underwhelming, but few can articulate precisely why. Being able to identify on the spot problems and to give explanations about them is a hugely valued talent, even more if you can also pitch suggestions about how to fix them.
    Maybe EON was able to get Burns in London for a day or two. He reads the script, makes his remarks to Michael, Babs and Cary, they nod in approval as he's apparently found the stuff they were circling around previously.
    'Hey, you really made a huge impression, could you uphaul the script and put your fixes on it?'
    'Yeah, I could be available for four weeks in March.'
    'Mmmm... that's not possible, we have to start production in early March. Unless we get another delay, we'll have to pass your suggestions to Neal and Bob.'
    Then the F&F9 "miracle" happens, and they revise the schedule to allow Burns to spray his script-doctoring pixie dust all over a new draft.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Of a certain interest to me now is how quickly EON can get B26 underway once B25 drops.

Wouldn’t it be great if we got a Cubby-style two-year turnaround.

Risico, the triumphant return of Bond in a no-fuss espionage adventure with great stunts, coming to a theatre near you in December 2022.

I'd love that.

I'd love a 1964 DB5 in Silver Birch in my garage too, and that's not going to happen either.
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    edited February 2019 Posts: 544
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Very good post @NS_writings.

Regarding Anthony Burgess (my favourite writer by the way), I don't remember a boxing kangaroo in his project but there were sadoerotic elements and he meant to kill Bond midway in the movie. By his own admission he said he didn't expect for his script to be used.

Thanks for your appreciation!

Just checked and yep, the boxing kangaroo was there. Here's the exact quote on Burgess' involvement.

Among them was the novelist Anthony Burgess, author of A Clockwork Orange. His rather offbeat treatment and rejected screenplay featured both Bond and Henry Kissinger naked, a plot to blow up the Queen at the Sydney Opera House, and a boxing kangaroo. As a bonus, he also penned lyrics for a potential title song: "The spy who loved me / ceased to be a spy / he shut his spying eye/ to all but me".

My point is that I want EON to hire important filmmakers/writers but they should be supervised. Back then, when Boyle was announced, I started to watch some of his films (I only knew Slumdog Millonaire, which I liked but of course was not Bondian). Trainspotting had some funny bits, but I couldn't understand the praise and overwhelm for it. As for Trance, it was much closer to my tastes and slightly closer to what a Boyle Bond film could be. Yet all the
    hero ends up being the villain, villain ends up being the hero and the girl controls them both
    was unnecessary to me, plus the intense violence.

MGW and BB know there are boundaries between Ian Fleming's Bond and Cubby and Harry's Bond, and their movies are always between these two poles. Someone else with the rights? They'll do whatever they want that sounds commercial (EON also does, but the others would go too far).

Reconstruction of the Boyle/Hodge treatment where Bond was incarcerated for most of the movie...

giphy.gif
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 3,000
    Of a certain interest to me now is how quickly EON can get B26 underway once B25 drops.

Wouldn’t it be great if we got a Cubby-style two-year turnaround.

Risico, the triumphant return of Bond in a no-fuss espionage adventure with great stunts, coming to a theatre near you in December 2022.

I’d love all of this, and I still think we may see the bolded happen in B26. The rest, especially the timetable, is unfortunately a pipe dream.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I’d legitimately be devastated if he left. He’s my favorite Bond of all time.

He's mine too. I can't think of a single living actor that could successfully replace him. I have ideas, but I doubt they'd own the role the way he has. He's made it an impossible task to replace him. I think Babs knows that too. It's why he wields so much power.

^This. Thank you.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited February 2019 Posts: 12,459
    If Cary gives us something dark and compelling, with a great story - and with visuals that impress as much as I was impressed with True Detective, I'm fine with that.

I don't need a happy Bond throughout, with formula points ticked, that is a no-fuss espionage. I want some complexity and layers, though I sure don't want Bond to die (even if left ambigiously a la novel FRWL) or suffer horrendously for the majority of the film. I want the balance the CR has. I want kick ass action (and I do think of John Wick at times when I think of action sequences I love these days). I do want Bond to have his mojo back, in general.

But this film will have an arc, of course - Bond will go thru some things that may well change him a bit, and I want a solid ending that is satisfying. Ending with a great girl and some Taittinger at hand? OK if it doesn't feel tacked on. Ending with him in silhouette? I'm okay with that too. Just give me a great adventure, with some seriousness and some humor ... and again we see how the script is critical. I don't mind the delay to finish the writing if it's going to produce more quality for this film. I like EON caring enough to push this. And I still trust this director.

So I'm fine with it being a slightly "different" kind of Bond film. CR was. And Skyfall was, too. Just my opinion and what I am thinking of what would be satisfying for me.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    FoxRox wrote: »

I absolutely love the reply to this first comment,

IrvingForbush
    14 hours ago

Here's a bold thought. Why not write a script for a movie you're excited to make, then decide when that movie should come out?

Davis McArdle IrvingForbush
    12 hours ago

Because it's called Show Business, not Show Art?

- Copyright Jean Seberg, 1960something

At this rate QOS will end up being the most conventional Bond film of Craig's tenure.
    Getafix wrote: »
    At this rate QOS will end up being the most conventional Bond film of Craig's tenure.

I’d argue that it’s SP. But it wasn’t executed so well.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

It actually has a lot of traditional elements to it. Took a while for me to realize it.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Fine by me. If only they could replicate what made QOS great for B25
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The total media blackout by Eon is all thanks to the hackers who ruined the build up and production of Spectre. So to be fair I am not surprised this has happened and believe that this will become the norm after the B/O takings for SP as apposed to SF.

I don't really get this. The Sony leaks more than anything exposed what a doo-doo show the SP preproduction was and all the bs drama that shouldn't have even happened anyway. If anything, now, it just looks like EoN have something to hide and with the factors instrumental to the delays we're getting for Bond 25 it seems like they haven't really learned their lesson. No other film studio/production company are being this obsessively secretive and closed off. I'm not expecting and not do I need full and continuous transparency of EVERYTHING they're doing. I'd rather they just get on with things and get sh1t done. However, EoN need to offer more interaction than what they're doing now to actually have a relationship with the fan base. The only continuous thing keeping Bond in the fabric of public interest is the never ending discussion from bored media outlets is, who the he'll should be the next Bond. That crap doesn't count.

As most people may have read the leaked script......etc. Although I understand it and don't mind not knowing every single detail about the upcoming film? A little reassurance would be most welcome after so many set backs.

100% but EoN need to understand the concept of a 2 way relationship between themselves and the fans. A near 60 years of movies is no excuse to be so distant and absent. As displayed on this website alone Bond fans are fiercely loyal, some even to a worrying degree but the loyalty and interest is there. EoN are relying too heavily on the Bond name and expecting people to flood the BO with their cash. In this day and age with the business model they're using, it's not reliably sustainable and then they'll be wondering wtf happened.

Sorry to say but the fan base isn't what makes a film succeed or fail, it's the interest of the general audience. 95% of members here will front up for B25 in theatres no matter what EoN does or doesn't do, that's not who they have to work on.

Most members of the GA have an interest level of "Is Idris the new Bond?" to "Are they doing another one?" to "Whatever." at this point
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The total media blackout by Eon is all thanks to the hackers who ruined the build up and production of Spectre. So to be fair I am not surprised this has happened and believe that this will become the norm after the B/O takings for SP as apposed to SF.

I don't really get this. The Sony leaks more than anything exposed what a doo-doo show the SP preproduction was and all the bs drama that shouldn't have even happened anyway. If anything, now, it just looks like EoN have something to hide and with the factors instrumental to the delays we're getting for Bond 25 it seems like they haven't really learned their lesson. No other film studio/production company are being this obsessively secretive and closed off. I'm not expecting and not do I need full and continuous transparency of EVERYTHING they're doing. I'd rather they just get on with things and get sh1t done. However, EoN need to offer more interaction than what they're doing now to actually have a relationship with the fan base. The only continuous thing keeping Bond in the fabric of public interest is the never ending discussion from bored media outlets is, who the he'll should be the next Bond. That crap doesn't count.

As most people may have read the leaked script......etc. Although I understand it and don't mind not knowing every single detail about the upcoming film? A little reassurance would be most welcome after so many set backs.

100% but EoN need to understand the concept of a 2 way relationship between themselves and the fans. A near 60 years of movies is no excuse to be so distant and absent. As displayed on this website alone Bond fans are fiercely loyal, some even to a worrying degree but the loyalty and interest is there. EoN are relying too heavily on the Bond name and expecting people to flood the BO with their cash. In this day and age with the business model they're using, it's not reliably sustainable and then they'll be wondering wtf happened.

What would your solution be? What is it that we should expect at this juncture?
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    doubleoego wrote: »
    No other film studio/production company are being this obsessively secretive and closed off. I'm not expecting and not do I need full and continuous transparency of EVERYTHING they're doing. I'd rather they just get on with things and get sh1t done. However, EoN need to offer more interaction than what they're doing now to actually have a relationship with the fan base. The only continuous thing keeping Bond in the fabric of public interest is the never ending discussion from bored media outlets is, who the he'll should be the next Bond. That crap doesn't count.

Well, Star Wars Ep. IX just finished filming and we don't know even the bloody title. Speaking about being secretive... We, as Bond fans, are able to know the title of the movie, the complete official cast and crew plus all the locations featured in the movie even before production officially start.

Complaining just for the sake of complaining. I can understand the anxiety since the last Bond came out in 2015 with all the troubles this production experienced with a lot of time wasted with Boyle. But we can't expect EoN is goin to share something with the fans at this stage.

BTW, 13 days until filming officially begins.

XD
  • Variety’s reporter, Justin Kroll, is hunting that after the holiday weekend he is planning on dropping some scoops....is this finally Bond?

https://mobile.twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1097668913016389632
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Variety’s reporter, Justin Kroll, is hunting that after the holiday weekend he is planning on dropping some scoops....is this finally Bond?

Well, since the production is still supposed to be starting in less than 2 weeks, at least "officially", it makes sense to some scoop to drop. Hopefully, regarding people joining the ship, not abandon it. XD
    matt_u wrote: »
    Variety’s reporter, Justin Kroll, is hunting that after the holiday weekend he is planning on dropping some scoops....is this finally Bond?

Well, since the production is still supposed to be starting in less than 2 weeks, at least "officially", it makes sense to some scoop to drop. Hopefully, regarding people joining the ship, not abandon it. XD

Agreed
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    It would be great if they gave us some information about the new film, casting, the title or something just to settle any nerves down about the project
    Well unless I am way off my base (which before everyone jumps at me at April 1st I might just be) we will learn most if not all of those thing next month. I still believe the press conference is either March 1st or the 4th but that is a guess not any inside info..

Regardless we will all know things soon my hope is we all love the info given. Personally if Bond 25 is The Hildebrand Rarity I don’t care that we had this many false starts and no games to tide us over... what can I say it’s my favorite Fleming title (I choose my user name because I firmly believe before I die I will see a bond film titled Risico not so much with The Hildebrand Rarity)
    Aside from that tweet awhile back is there any other confirmation that the start date has been pushed back, or is it still set at March 4th regardless?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,834
    Again @doubleoego, I don't really know what you want. Actually, scratch that I know what you want, I just don't see your point about "no other film studio/production company are being this obsessively secretive and closed off." Because that's completely wrong.

The only studios that aren't as secretive are Marvel and DC, so I'll explain this again, they can do this because they have so many films, TV shows and so on under their belt, that they can pretty much give us announcements or updates every goddamn today. Again, James Bond is one property and one film, if they gave us stuff at the same rate as Marvel or DC, we'd have nothing left to talk about when the film comes out.

This is why they have the press conference, which no other studio does. No other studio has one day where they give us all the important information we need to know, before going off to film. Also, we get videoblogs and press release all once filming's start, and filming hasn't started, so you're asking for too much, too early. I get what you're asking for, but it doesn't work for what Eon Productions is and will always be. An independent studio that deals with one property of one property only.
  • For my money, I wager there won't be a movie called The Hildebrand Rarity. Think of the big billion-dollar tentpoles we have these days: Mission Impossible, Fast and Furious, The Avengers, Ironman/Black Panther/etc., but Hildebrand Rarity just doesn't sound like a blockbuster.

It means something to superfans, but to everyone else it sounds like a black and white art film. Further, how do you translate that title for foreign markets?

I think we're in for more of the formula: (always/never)+(die/kill/say/sleep)+(midnight/forever/tomorrow/yesterday).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    octofinger wrote: »
    For my money, I wager there won't be a movie called The Hildebrand Rarity. Think of the big billion-dollar tentpoles we have these days: Mission Impossible, Fast and Furious, The Avengers, Ironman/Black Panther/etc., but Hildebrand Rarity just doesn't sound like a blockbuster.

It means something to superfans, but to everyone else it sounds like a black and white art film. Further, how do you translate that title for foreign markets?

I think we're in for more of the formula: (always/never)+(die/kill/say/sleep)+(midnight/forever/tomorrow/yesterday).
    Plus, the name 'Hildebrand' was already used for the MI6 safe-house in London.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2019 Posts: 4,415
    After DAD Pervis and Wade always need a 3th writer.
    After complanes some fans and media about QOS vs Bourne, i am surprised there be no complanes yet about this Bourne Ultimatum writer.

So mabey finaly Dominic Greene words get green light / going to live with Eon hiring this writer.

I like the mirror ending of Contagion. I like ocean'13 more then Ocean'12.

My second view of Bourne Ultimatum in 2016 whas litle bit better then my first view in 2011. When i look back to my litle review from 2011 then i whas even about the disapointed humor with both movies (Bourne 2 & 3), but lucky we stil have P&W for that. Ultimatum have more action, more and easier dialgue and better mixed sound in music then Bourne 2. Soundmix of Spectre in cinema whas a lot better then Skyfall. Ultimatum has more flaschbacks and better interaction with the girl. What some people claimd to Bourne 2 and QOS (i a disagree with ) i see more in this one is more camera problems and story part of Bourne 2 is better. I always see this as problem that happend because the movie whas released with to much time in between, whyle you get almoost simalar movie. A problem i also think happend between TDK and TDKR / SF and Spectre. Of course i hint to almoost 5 years break between Spectre and Bond 25.

Intresting will happend with difrence between Bond and Bourne in the fact that Bourne knows what he doing in Ultimatum, whyle Bond has tricker finger more like Bourne have in Bourne 2.

I always believe that Bond tricker finger will be reloaded some day.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    For my money, I wager there won't be a movie called The Hildebrand Rarity. Think of the big billion-dollar tentpoles we have these days: Mission Impossible, Fast and Furious, The Avengers, Ironman/Black Panther/etc., but Hildebrand Rarity just doesn't sound like a blockbuster.

I don't really see that as a disqualifier. (And again, I doubt anyone but superfans noticed or registered that.)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Denbigh wrote: »

I don't really see that as a disqualifier. (And again, I doubt anyone but superfans noticed or registered that.)
    In the age of internet where people can reach out to information in many ways, there’s always YouTube for a user to post that out while breaking down the movie in details. People who are seriously invested into the film as fans (not necessarily Bond fans) will look into those study videos and notice them later on. Not on their first viewing of the film, perhaps, but they will learn one way or another should The Hildebrand Rarity be used in a continuity of the current era. They will find it out of place unless there’s a damn good reason behind it.