Rate The Last Movie You Saw In Theaters

QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
edited February 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,812
It's simple, tell us what your last film in theaters was and your review and/or rating of it is.

I figure this is a great way to help others decide if they should go see a film in theaters.

Comments

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

I'd probably give it a 7/10
    It was very intricate and detailed, right down to the most minute speck available. WHAT A HEADACHE!! Still, even though I really didn't understand anything about the plot whatsoever, I did enjoy the action sequences, particularly that amazing chase through the woods when Holmes, Watson, that one girl, and her men were attempting to get back on board the train to escape the soldiers. That was the finest part of the movie, it was a really nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat scene.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    "The Hunger Games"

My kids made me take them out to see it when it opened. It was a long movie probably around 2 1/2 hours, but well paced and very good for what it was. It didn't bore me or make me ask a lot of questions regarding the plot. Didn't read the book so I can't give comparisons.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:

It was very intricate and detailed, right down to the most minute speck available. WHAT A HEADACHE!! Still, even though I really didn't understand anything about the plot whatsoever, I did enjoy the action sequences, particularly that amazing chase through the woods when Holmes, Watson, that one girl, and her men were attempting to get back on board the train to escape the soldiers. That was the finest part of the movie, it was a really nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat scene.
    What? The plot wasn't hard to get, it was the best part. The crowning moments weren't the action pieces but the little mental chess games with Sherlock and Moriarty. Of course I am a Sherlock super fan and many may not share my sentiments. I loved Sherlock Holmes: AGoS, but I wish Holmes was written/played closer to Conan Doyle's model and not some manic like he can come off as at times. Holmes was much closer to Conan Doyle's Holmes in this one though, which is good.

My last was Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, and I don't think I need to explain my perfect 10. A must see, and I am foaming at the mouth as I am typing this, waiting to get the Blu-ray!
    00Beast wrote:

What? The plot wasn't hard to get, it was the best part. The crowning moments weren't the action pieces but the little mental chess games with Sherlock and Moriarty. Of course I am a Sherlock super fan and many may not share my sentiments. I loved Sherlock Holmes: AGoS, but I wish Holmes was written/played closer to Conan Doyle's model and not some manic like he can come off as at times. Holmes was much closer to Conan Doyle's Holmes in this one though, which is good.

My last was Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, and I don't think I need to explain my perfect 10. A must see, and I am foaming at the mouth as I am typing this, waiting to get the Blu-ray!

Sorry, I'm not that big a fan of Sherlock Holmes, just went to see it out of curiosity because some of my friends had seen it and said that it was good, and the trailer looked good too. I mean, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but the plot was a little too complex for me, and the whole mental chess thing threw me for a loop, it went right over my head!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    ^
    Oh you are missing out. I am just as passionate about Holmes as I am Bond, and would fight for either of them. After reading the brilliant stories I love to see Moriarty portrayed so well, and that's what really hooked me. Kudos to Jared Harris and his talent. I can see why you weren't as impressed, but I assure you, the film made this Sherlockian very happy.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes, with an 8/10. A far better plot than Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes, plus, a great script to to back up the superb actors (Tim Burton's film had great actors, a crap script).
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 774
    21 Jump Street. 6½/10. It was good. Funny. But not great. Would've given it a 7 but the constant buddy cop cliches were annoying after a while. I know they wanted to pay homage to the original feel of the series back in the 80s, but at times it just felt lazy. One of the 'villains' (teenage drug dealer) was just annoying. I think he was meant to be a funny character but I didn't even smile during any of his 'funny' moments. There was a scene towards the end (I won't spoil it) that paid tribute to the original 80s show and that was genuinely funny.

Entertaining, watch it if you're in need of something mindless, but don't expect brilliance.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Cabin in the Woods 8/10

This is a movie you are going to love or hate, and I loved it! It is very different from anything I've seen. I don't want to hear people complain about how things are not original anymore because this movie takes the cake. It just so bizzare and out there. Even if I never see it again it's one that I'm going to remember forever!

American Reunion- 8.5/10

I love this series, and was very happy about them finally making a true sequel to the "main" series. Don't get me wrong, some of those DTV films were funny (Naked Mile) but it was time to bring back the original gang.

The film is predictable, but to me that's a good thing. Stiffler is still Stiffler, Jim is still awkward, and Eugene Levy is still a comic genius and steals every scene he is in (again). The jokes are plenty and often but that still doesn't take away from the dynamic characters. This is one of the few comedy series where you really care about these characters. Realizations are made about life, but in a comic way. Overall, a really great "reunion" for a bunch of great characters. And yes I believe it leaves the door open for another one a few years down the road
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    21 Jump Street - 8/10

i didn't know what to expect from this movie, having seen no previews for it.. but i saw that the critics loved it.... so, i went in optimistic, but still cautious..

i absolutely loved it - i was laughing hard within the first 5 minutes... i like the way they played on the cliche, but did it in a dumb manner - almost as mockery of itself at times... it had some nice cameos, Ice Cube was brilliant as the "angry black captain" lol - and then there is Korean Jesus lol..... i would recommend this movie if you like films like Superbad or The Hangover..
    Lockout 7.5/10

Good movie but wasn't what I was expecting. The hero, Snow, reminds me alot of myself, minus the badass parts; he's funny, sarcastic, and doesn't take serious situations seriously. The movie felt like it could of been the third movie in the "Escape From New York" series, but in space. If you love action flicks then you should check this out but you can wait for it on Blu Ray/DVD.
    THE GREY

I find it hard to rate this film. It has an enormous impact, and in terms of realism and convincing mood it should get 10/10. On the other side it was the most depressing film I can imagine, or perhaps I didn´t get the deeper meaning. So in that regard I´d give it less points ;-) .
    boldfinger wrote:
    THE GREY

I find it hard to rate this film. It has an enormous impact, and in terms of realism and convincing mood it should get 10/10. On the other side it was the most depressing film I can imagine, or perhaps I didn´t get the deeper meaning. So in that regard I´d give it less points ;-) .

Just saw it recently. Damn good film, and powerful tale.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    bondbat007 wrote:
    American Reunion- 8.5/10

I love this series, and was very happy about them finally making a true sequel to the "main" series. Don't get me wrong, some of those DTV films were funny (Naked Mile) but it was time to bring back the original gang.

The film is predictable, but to me that's a good thing. Stiffler is still Stiffler, Jim is still awkward, and Eugene Levy is still a comic genius and steals every scene he is in (again). The jokes are plenty and often but that still doesn't take away from the dynamic characters. This is one of the few comedy series where you really care about these characters. Realizations are made about life, but in a comic way. Overall, a really great "reunion" for a bunch of great characters. And yes I believe it leaves the door open for another one a few years down the road

Really, really looking forward to seeing this. I didn't like the straight to DVD sequels as much as the original films so I'm looking forward to this alot.

Anyway, last I saw at the cinema was The Cabin In the Woods, which I would give a 9/10. Really good film, it's insane, but it's a really good horror film.

I also recently saw 21 jump street. 8/10. Hilarious. I haven't seen the original show so I wasn't sure about going to see it, but it was very, very funny.
    PIRATES - Aardman does it again, they just made another hilarious animated movie. It is not just Wallace & Grommitt that they do well.
    Battleship..... Detach the the brain, and watch transformers on water!!?
    Crap in a glossy way!!? :-B
    MrEon wrote:
    Battleship..... Detach the the brain, and watch transformers on water!!?
    Crap in a glossy way!!? :-B
    Most people see it to naturally behold the awesome force that is Liam Neeson, but I heard he isn't even in much of it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    American Reunion - 6/10

Entertaining watch, very nostalgic, and was really nice to see everyone back together again. But, it is a comedy, and I'm finding it hard to recall a part I really laughed at in the film.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 300
    The Three Stooges - 8/10

I need to start out by saying I've been a Three Stooges fan all of my life. Moe, Larry, Curly, and the underrated Shemp were always there for me. They're among the greatest entertainers I've ever known. So naturally, going into this movie I was of the crowd who was willing to give this movie a chance, and it's a good thing I did because I loved it! This is one of those films that gets funnier with repeat viewings, I've seen it three times now! If you saw it once and not sure what you think about it, don't hesitate to give it another shot, this movie might grow on you.

I need to single out the three actors who portray the three iconic funny men because they dove in head first and never looked back. Chris Diamantopoulos as Moe is pure satisfaction. His performance is my favorite out of the whole cast. Will Sasso as Curly is really as good as you can get for not getting the actual Jerome "Curly" Howard. Those who are familiar with Sasso's work on Mad TV will not be surprised that he shines in this role. The performance that shocked me the most is Sean Hayes as Larry. Going into the movie this is the only casting choice I wasn't really sure about. I had my own idea of who "should have" played Larry (Jason Segel) but I was willing to see what Sean Hayes would deliver. He surpassed anything I could have hoped for by this character. And that's because Larry has always been one of my favorites! A great transformation by Hayes!

So if you haven't seen this and like to have a good laugh, make sure you go out and see it. I'm hoping for more films with these three, and maybe we'll get somebody portraying Shemp some day also!
    The Three Stooges - 8/10

I need to start out by saying I've been a Three Stooges fan all of my life. Moe, Larry, Curly, and the underrated Shemp were always there for me. They're among the greatest entertainers I've ever known. So naturally, going into this movie I was of the crowd who was willing to give this movie a chance, and it's a good thing I did because I loved it! This is one of those films that gets funnier with repeat viewings, I've seen it three times now! If you saw it once and not sure what you think about it, don't hesitate to give it another shot, this movie might grow on you.

I need to single out the three actors who portray the three iconic funny men because they dove in head first and never looked back. Chris Diamantopoulos as Moe is pure satisfaction. His performance is my favorite out of the whole cast. Will Sasso as Curly is really as good as you can get for not getting the actual Jerome "Curly" Howard. Those who are familiar with Sasso's work on Mad TV will not be surprised that he shines in this role. The performance that shocked me the most is Sean Hayes as Larry. Going into the movie this is the only casting choice I wasn't really sure about. I had my own idea of who "should have" played Larry (Jason Segel) but I was willing to see what Sean Hayes would deliver. He surpassed anything I could have hoped for by this character. And that's because Larry has always been one of my favorites! A great transformation by Hayes!

So if you haven't seen this and like to have a good laugh, make sure you go out and see it. I'm hoping for more films with these three, and maybe we'll get somebody portraying Shemp some day also!

Wow! I didn't think it would be good enough to see three times! After reading your review I might go see it in theaters. At first when I heard about them making a movie I got really excited, but then I saw the first trailer and thought it was going to suck. After seeing more and more previews for it I think it looks funny.
  • The Woman In Black

I've always wondered what it would look like to watch a film with Daniel Radcliffe in it where all of a sudden, a mobile phone goes off. Sadly, I will have to wait a little bit longer. The Woman in Black evokes a time in cinema where music, good editing and 'not seeing anything' does wonders to create tension. The premise of the story, without going in to too much detail, is about Radcliffe as a recently widowed lawyer/solicitor going to a remote part of Britain to clear up the estate of a recently deceased lady. Whilst there, creepy incidents begin to occur, the villagers seem scared and volatile and spending long, dark nights in a house where access is restricted by the tide of the sea prove even creepier when noises are heard. Twists and turns and bumps in the night occur before a sting in the tail at the end.

All in all, this is a cracking little film that I would recommend highly. Good acting and the creation of a tense atmosphere make this an interesting little psychological horror.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Last movie I saw at the flicks was, yes, The Muppets.

Here's my review for those interested (shameless plug alert)... ;)

http://georgesjournal.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/muppet-mania-felt-perfection-the-muppets-2011-review/

And, for what it's worth, the last-but-one flick I saw at the cinema was The Artist, which I'd give 5/5. Not a perfect film perhaps, but clever, eminently watchable and, once seen, it's extremely understandable why The Academy totally fell for it...
  • The Three Stooges - 8/10

Wow! I didn't think it would be good enough to see three times! After reading your review I might go see it in theaters. At first when I heard about them making a movie I got really excited, but then I saw the first trailer and thought it was going to suck. After seeing more and more previews for it I think it looks funny.

Glad you liked the review, @QsAssistant! Have you been a Stooges fan for a while also?
    I used to watch The Three Stooges when I was a kid and stop watching until the new movie came out; they've had marathons on TV and the Stooges are just as funny today as they were when I was a kid.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 154
    bondbat007 wrote:
    American Reunion- 8.5/10

Agreed
    Lockout 7.5/10

Good movie but wasn't what I was expecting. The hero, Snow, reminds me alot of myself, minus the badass parts; he's funny, sarcastic, and doesn't take serious situations seriously. The movie felt like it could of been the third movie in the "Escape From New York" series, but in space. If you love action flicks then you should check this out but you can wait for it on Blu Ray/DVD.

I loved Lockout, it was so amazing! Despite the disappointing ending where the psychotic skinny criminal stabs his brother, I loved every minute of it! About that ending, I just expected a big fight to the finish between the leader of the criminals and Snow, but never got it. Ehh....such a disappointment. Then I expected a fight between Snow and the leader's wacko brother, but all I got was one knock-out punch! AAHH! Except for that, it was all tremendously epic!
    Avenger Assemble (2012) 10/10

Finaly a fun superhero movie instead of that neurotic Batfigure, this is a must-see-in-cinema kind of movie. You lose too much if you are a saddo with a download on your computer/smartphone/tablet.
    The Avengers 10/10

Loved this film and I plan on seeing it in theaters again. It was fun, action packed, and had a great story with just the right amount of humor. A must see.

The Avengers 6/10

Just not my cup of tea. I understand fans of either the comics or even more-so Joss Whedon fans would be all over this. But for me it was overly long, with a bit too much action and not enough substance. It was visually impressive and the sound was pretty strong. I also liked Robert Downey Jr.'s performance. Mark Ruffalo was good as well. The others were a bit subdued and under-whelming. But there was very little character background or development (yeah, yeah you have to see the individual movies to get that...but that doesn't get me invested in this particular story). So I guess it's not fair for me to rate this film, since I don't like 2 1/2 hour blow-em-up summer blockbusters. For what it was it was pretty good.
    Even though you didn't give it a horrible rating/review, that's still the most harsh one I've come across for The Avengers.