Coming soon to TV screens- The upcoming TV shows thread

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    The Deuce is renewed for a third and final season, David Chase's plan all along (likely taking the series into the 80's):

http://collider.com/the-deuce-season-3-renewed/

Haven't had the chance to watch this yet. Any good?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 40,372
    The Deuce is renewed for a third and final season, David Chase's plan all along (likely taking the series into the 80's):

I'm loving it; it's a good time to catch up too, as season two is currently airing. I didn't live through the 70's but it manages to capture that grimy, hazy, dirty feel of the New York City streets that I see from so many 70's classics, and the acting and cast is great and quite varied, respectively.

I'm loving it; it's a good time to catch up too, as season two is currently airing. I didn't live through the 70's but it manages to capture that grimy, hazy, dirty feel of the New York City streets that I see from so many 70's classics, and the acting and cast is great and quite varied, respectively.

Interesting; I often struggle to check out new series when I'm more than a couple of seasons late (with some exceptions of course). Do like 70's films, and if The Deuce taps into that period the right way, I really don't have a choice!
    You won't have too much to catch up on - season one has eight episodes and season two has nine episodes, despite only being two episodes into season two currently, so it's not all that much.

Three seasons seems like a nice and tight timeframe for the series - never seemed like a show that would last six or seven plus seasons. Be sure to share your initial thoughts if you end up checking it out! I haven't managed to talk to anyone else that has seen it, I don't believe.
    You won't have too much to catch up on - season one has eight episodes and season two has nine episodes, despite only being two episodes into season two currently, so it's not all that much.

Good! Anything over 12 episodes, and things get difficult. 8-9 episodes really makes it easier to watch a season over a couple weeks - days even if it's really enjoyable.
    Three seasons seems like a nice and tight timeframe for the series - never seemed like a show that would last six or seven plus seasons. Be sure to share your initial thoughts if you end up checking it out! I haven't managed to talk to anyone else that has seen it, I don't believe.

Definitely agree on the benefit of a tight timeframe of three seasons. Very few shows are as good with the fourth or fifth season onwards. The only exceptions I can think of are the period crime series I watch – shows that usually have no more than six episodes a season.

I'll share my thoughts as soon as I'm a few episodes in! Been watching a bit of 70's stuff lately, with Steve McQueen in The Getaway only last weekend.
    Ugh, I couldn't agree more regarding an overabundance of episodes in a given season - 13 episodes max is usually my limit; 10 is a perfect number. That's why I avoid those procedurals that generate two dozen or more episodes a season. I couldn't be any less interested in those types of shows.

I think the number of seasons doesn't matter as much as having a full outline from the start - Breaking Bad was what, five or six seasons? The Sopranos was six seasons and nearly 100 episodes long, but since they knew where it would all end up from the start, it fared much better than a series that overstays its welcome and makes everything up from season to season.
    Ugh, I couldn't agree more regarding an overabundance of episodes in a given season - 13 episodes max is usually my limit; 10 is a perfect number. That's why I avoid those procedurals that generate two dozen or more episodes a season. I couldn't be any less interested in those types of shows.

Usually avoid these shows myself; the last exceptions of this being Castle - much because of Nathan Fillion being enjoyable as always, and Psych - which had a few seasons of around 15-16 episodes, I think.
    I think the number of seasons doesn't matter as much as having a full outline from the start - Breaking Bad was what, five or six seasons? The Sopranos was six seasons and nearly 100 episodes long, but since they knew where it would all end up from the start, it fared much better than a series that overstays its welcome and makes everything up from season to season.

It definitely helps when the creators have a clear outline, or at least a way to wrap things up should the show not get renewed. Remember watching FlashForward back in 2009/10, and that show ended with a massive cliffhanger, not really explaining anything. Still enjoyed it though.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Decades after a 1983 terrorist attack, a law student and a cop uncover a conspiracy that's kept Poland as a police state and the Iron Curtain standing.

Looks very interesting. Coming on Netflix on November 30th.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,686

----

First trailer for season 2 of Making a Murderer

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Back on form.
    Saw that earlier today, it's a much better trailer than the teaser they put out. I'm looking forward to it, seems a nice return to form for sure.

Zero new footage. At least they've confirmed it'll debut in April.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,686
    Gareth Evans has started the filming crime/gangster series Gangs of London.

Gangs of London is set in contemporary London as it is being torn apart by power struggles involving several international gangs. The series begins as the head of one criminal gang is assassinated and the power vacuum threatens the fragile peace between the other underworld organization.

The show will air in 2019 (exact date TBC).
    stranger-things-ver39-xlg.jpg
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,686
    @bondjames @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @Creasy47 @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi

Al Pacino is in negotiations to star as one of the lead roles in the Amazon's new drama series, The Hunt.

“The Hunt” follows a diverse band of Nazi Hunters living in 1977 New York City. They have discovered that hundreds of high ranking Nazi officials are living among us and conspiring to create a Fourth Reich in the US.

The series is planned to air in 2020 (exact date TBA).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Al Pacino is in negotiations to star as one of the lead roles in the Amazon's new drama series, The Hunt.

“The Hunt” follows a diverse band of Nazi Hunters living in 1977 New York City. They have discovered that hundreds of high ranking Nazi officials are living among us and conspiring to create a Fourth Reich in the US.

The series is planned to air in 2020 (exact date TBA).
    I always enjoy these kinds of films (The Boys from Brazil is one of my faves), and the setting of 1970s Manhattan will only help too (I'm reminded of and am visualizing that amazing scene towards the end of Marathon Man near the pawn shop - "Szell! Szell! My god, stop him!").
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Was thinking the BBC needed to do a proper adaptation for Christmas and 3 1hour episodes.

No one does Dickens like them, Knight as well, should be a treat.

http://collider.com/a-christmas-carol-tom-hardy-update-steven-knight/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,105

Agents of Shield Season 6

Agents of Shield Season 6

Roll on the summer!!!!
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,686
    First official picture of Russell Crowe as Roger Ailes in the miniseries The Loudest Voice:

russellcroweasrogerailes-showtime.jpg

The miniseries is based on Gabriel Sherman’s bestselling book 'The Loudest Voice in the Room' and his extensive reporting for New York magazine about the sordid allegations of sexual harassment that prompted Ailes’ 2016 ouster at Fox News.

Also starring Naomi Watts, Seth MacFarlane, Sienna Miller, Simon McBurney and Annabelle Wallis.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    First official picture of Russell Crowe as Roger Ailes in the miniseries The Loudest Voice:

russellcroweasrogerailes-showtime.jpg

The miniseries is based on Gabriel Sherman’s bestselling book 'The Loudest Voice in the Room' and his extensive reporting for New York magazine about the sordid allegations of sexual harassment that prompted Ailes’ 2016 ouster at Fox News.

Also starring Naomi Watts, Seth MacFarlane, Sienna Miller, Simon McBurney and Annabelle Wallis.

Straight on the heels of Christian Bale in Vice, I see.
    Well this is seriously depressing:

http://collider.com/counterpart-season-3-cancelled/