Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Watched THE FAVOURITE last night. Bizarre. Sarcastic. Strange. Funny. Coleman, Stone, and Weisz very good. All male characters foppish, pompous, decadent twits and fools. Interesting cinematography.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @DarthDimi The Conversation is one of my all-time favorite films. Excellent choice.

Saw Glass (2019 for the second time at the theater tonight. Enjoyed it just as much this time as the first. In my opinion, it’s simply a superb ending to the trilogy and one of the best threequels I’ve seen. Ending my Shyamalan marathon on a very high note.

M. Night Shyamalan Ranking:
    1. Unbreakable
    2. The Sixth Sense
    3. Glass
    4. Split
    5. Signs
    6. The Village
    7. Wide Awake
    8. The Visit
    9. Praying with Anger
    10. Lady in the Water
    11. After Earth
    12. The Happening
    13. The Last Airbender

Shyamalan lost me with SIGNS, did not want to watch his movies from there on.
  • My being here, I'm clearly drank the kool-aid. But obviously I like plenty of other films. I'd like to share my favorites and would really appreciate recommendations if you have them.

Here's the thing. My opinion is not typical. A lot of the movies I like are not considered great films. And honestly, I haven't seen a lot of the classics, like Gone with the Wind of The Godfather. I've found that I appreciate style and suspense. If you've seen the movies listed below, you'll recognize a trend I think. I love animated movies and anime, but I'm going to exclude them from this list

In no particular order.

Sorry to Bother You
    Colossal
    Only Lovers Left Alive
    Submarine
    Point Break
    Roadracers
    Black Snake Moan
    Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies
    The Man with the Golden Arms
    Empire Records
    Speed
    The Hitcher
    Jane Eyre (2011)
    Predator
    The Terminator
    Kill Bill
    Sucker Punch
    Tron: Legacy
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
    Hot Fuzz
    The Prestige
    Inglorious Bastards
    A Knight's Tale
    Lady Bird
    Speed Racer
    Jumper
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    InTheWind wrote: »
    My being here, I'm clearly drank the kool-aid. But obviously I like plenty of other films. I'd like to share my favorites and would really appreciate recommendations if you have them.

Here's the thing. My opinion is not typical. A lot of the movies I like are not considered great films. And honestly, I haven't seen a lot of the classics, like Gone with the Wind of The Godfather. I've found that I appreciate style and suspense. If you've seen the movies listed below, you'll recognize a trend I think. I love animated movies and anime, but I'm going to exclude them from this list

In no particular order.

Sorry to Bother You
    Colossal
    Only Lovers Left Alive
    Submarine
    Point Break
    Roadracers
    Black Snake Moan
    Empire Records
    Speed
    The Hitcher
    Jane Eyre (2011)
    Predator
    The Terminator
    Kill Bill
    Sucker Punch
    Hot Fuzz
    The Prestige
    Inglorious Bastards
    A Knight's Tale
    Lady Bird
    Speed Racer
    Jumper

Looking at your list, if you haven't seen them already i would recommend The Matrix trilogy.

Nice to see someone else who has seen Colossal love that film but not many people seem to have seen it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    One to tick off the need to see on the big screen list.

Booked tickets for my Wife and I for March 1st to see Alien.

It's being reissued for its 40th Anniversary. Ranks for us both as one of our very favourite films and we've always wanted to see it on the big screen.

If only they could do this as an in concert production, imagine hearing that fantastic Goldsmith score with a live orchestra, that would be heaven.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Shardlake wrote: »

It's being reissued for its 40th Anniversary. Ranks for us both as one of our very favourite films and we've always wanted to see it on the big screen.

If only they could do this as an in concert production, imagine hearing that fantastic Goldsmith score with a live orchestra, that would be heaven.

Very nice, I didn't know it'll be getting a theatrical re-release too, but I suppose that's no surprise. I know that same restoration is getting a 4K release in either March or April, I can't wait to see it.
    Grand Hotel (1932) - the movie is a tad slow for my tastes but the character played by Garbo is so brilliantly done that she easily steals the movie, Joan Crawford does a good job but all the screen-time with Garbo makes you want to see more. And when she finally leaves the hotel you really feel for her and she leaves a lasting impression. The first multi-star vehicle as planned by Hollywood and is does great was a BO success and the Oscar winner for the best movie in 1932.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

Very nice, I didn't know it'll be getting a theatrical re-release too, but I suppose that's no surprise. I know that same restoration is getting a 4K release in either March or April, I can't wait to see it.

I believe here in the UK and the States it's getting some screenings from what I've heard.

Yet to make the jump to 4K Blu-ray (have a 40" 4K TV) but this will definitely be one of those that would be getting the upgrade when I plunge into UHD waters.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sure it'll play nowhere near where I live, as is usually the case. I miss out on so much.

Enjoy the dive to 4K whenever you make it! It was a good one; some of the films I see, it genuinely is akin to looking out the window, it's that lifelike and sharp.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    At Eternity's Gate (2018)

This film is about the last years in the life of Vincent van Gogh, who is played by Willem Dafoe. It's a very quiet, serene movie, with several long scenes in which there is no dialogue, just silence as we see Van Gogh at work. One such scene is when he paints A Pair of Shoes. He enters his room --seemingly tired and cold, possibly ill and not staying at the best of places--, then he takes off his shoes and begins to paint them. Silence is useful in showing that while externally, nothing seems to be going on with him, his mind is highly stimulated as he sets out to pour his feelings and emotions into his work, his surroundings and dire financial situation being of no importance in those moments of inspiration.

Letting us imagine what it must've felt like to be Van Gogh is the film's main focus. For this, a variety of visual effects are interspersed throughout the movie. In some scenes, the images are bathed in strong, oversaturated blues or yellows. In others, the upper half of the screen is in focus while the lower half isn't. Also, in one scene, we see Van Gogh's feet as he walks in the open fields, and the motion blur on the yellow plants creates an enchanting effect that resembles a moving, living Van Gogh painting. It's all about conveying the idea and sensation that Van Gogh was remarkably sensitive and perceptive about nature, seeing beyond what most of us would, and always finding something new to analyze and dissect through his work. Some sonic effects are employed as well. Sometimes, dialogue heard by Van Gogh is repeated multiple times in succession, with slightly different wordings. Fairly frequently, incidental music suddenly cuts off. I must say to me there's something intriguing about that effect... the enforced return to silence makes said silence feel somewhat paradoxically "deafening", a quality which I intuitively associate with an altered state of mind.

Of course, the film deals extensively with Van Gogh's mental state. There is a tender and sad scene in which Van Gogh talks with his brother Theo about how sometimes he just loses the grip on things. Later, the painter talks with a doctor about the mutilation of his own ear, after which the doctor asks him to undergo extended psychiatric treatment. Both scenes feature some terrific dialogue which is both enigmatic and illuminating. We also get to see the primitive treatments for mental illness employed back in the day, and a great little moment in which a fellow patient explains the circumstances which led him to that place, and which have to do with his sorrowful wartime experiences. Later, we get a glimpse of Van Gogh's understanding of his own self, his skills and his gift for painting, in a fantastic scene in which Van Gogh converses with a priest meant to evaluate his mental state to decide whether he's free to go. The priest is played by Mads Mikkelsen, who is simply magnificent in his single scene in the movie. After the somewhat harrowing scenes of the mental treatment, there is a warm and pleasing quality to the relationship between Van Gogh and Dr. Gachet (Mathieu Amalric), who takes care of Van Gogh once he goes back to the outside world.

There are some vignettes that show the struggle of Van Gogh and other artists in Paris, as well as their financial difficulties. Considerable time is also devoted to the relationship between Van Gogh and fellow artist Gauguin, in which there is a degree of understanding but also a certain tension.

The film suscribes to the theory that Van Gogh did not commit suicide, but was instead shot, apparently in an accident. The movie ends with a beautiful shot of Van Gogh's dead body surrounded by his paintings.

In the end, Van Gogh's story is one of a person with such intense and clear perception of the world that it becomes an all-consuming obsession, one which results in great sadness and misery for him, but which at the same time he never quite seems to regret or lament, because it's what he excels at, and it's what defines him. The film is splendid at conveying this.

Generally, I don't feel like rewatching a film soon after having seen it. This time I'm kind of eager to revisit it already.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @mattjoes one of my favorites of 2018. A true cinematic achievement
    Indeed, @JamesBondKenya.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Man of Steel in 4K the picture and sound is amazing. Incredible film
    I did some catch-up viewing this week, so I can now present my list of top 10 films of 2018 (in random order):

The Death of Stalin (Armando Iannucci)
    Lean on Pete (Andrew Haigh)
    Suleiman Mountain (Elizaveta Stishova)
    If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins)
    Museo (Alonso Ruizpalacios)
    Sorry to Bother You (Boots Riley)
    The Favourite (Yorgos Lanthimos)
    Shoplifters (Hirokazu Kore-eda)
    Roma (Alfonso Cuarón)
    Happy as Lazzaro (Alice Rohrwacher)

And the 10 best older films I viewed for the first time in 2018 (again in random order):

Cold Water (1994, Olivier Assayas)
    Northwest Passage (1940, King Vidor)
    Blue Jeans (1917, John H. Collins)
    The Lighthouse Keepers (1929, Jean Grémillon)
    Lonesome (1928, Paul Fejös)
    Applause (1930, Rouben Mamoulian)
    Under the Paris Sky (1951, Julien Duvivier)
    Holiday for Henrietta (1952, Julien Duvivier)
    Comanche Station (1960, Budd Boetticher)
    The Bravados (1958, Henry King)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

It gets better for me every time I watch the film. Cavill has really grown on me as Superman.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2019 Posts: 8,081
    The Mule

Saw this last week at the cinema. My favourite movie of last year. Funny, sad, and sometimes thrilling. I saw some inspirations from Sorcerer (1977).
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,273
    DarthDimi wrote: »

It gets better for me every time I watch the film. Cavill has really grown on me as Superman.

Krypton art design gets better the early scenes look fantastic, the film itself improves as I don't think many films in the genre post MoS really match up.

Reign of the Supermen not as good as the first part Death of Superman, something was lacking in Reign... , the animation seemed off. There were alot of nods to other classic DC moments though they were as subtle as a hammer. There were admittedly some great moments though not enough.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    MOS is the best Superman movie by far.
    MOS is the best Superman movie by far.

I rank MoS below Superman The Movie though both films are two of the best in the genre for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    STM had a far greater impact on first watch, I have to give it that.
    Scrooge (1970), in honor of Albert Finney. One of my favorite movies, and by far my favorite adaptation of A Christmas Carol. Finney’s Scrooge is just terrific.
    Survivor on Netflix, Milla as the heroine and Brosnan as the assassin, he does a decent job. Fun popcorn movie.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    My being here, I'm clearly drank the kool-aid. But obviously I like plenty of other films. I'd like to share my favorites and would really appreciate recommendations if you have them.

In no particular order.

Sorry to Bother You
    Colossal
    Only Lovers Left Alive
    Submarine
    Point Break
    Roadracers
    Black Snake Moan
    Empire Records
    Speed
    The Hitcher
    Jane Eyre (2011)
    Predator
    The Terminator
    Kill Bill
    Sucker Punch
    Hot Fuzz
    The Prestige
    Inglorious Bastards
    A Knight's Tale
    Lady Bird
    Speed Racer
    Jumper
    @InTheWind nice list there. I don't know all of those films, but I like most of the ones you've picked that I've seen very much. I'd recommend The International from 2009, The Talented Mr. Ripley from 1999 and The Tailor of Panama from 2001. All personal favourites of mine.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Survivor on Netflix, Milla as the heroine and Brosnan as the assassin, he does a decent job. Fun popcorn movie.
    I enjoyed this one too. It's a tight little thriller.
  • bondjames wrote: »

In no particular order.

Sorry to Bother You
    Colossal
    Only Lovers Left Alive
    Submarine
    Point Break
    Roadracers
    Black Snake Moan
    Empire Records
    Speed
    The Hitcher
    Jane Eyre (2011)
    Predator
    The Terminator
    Kill Bill
    Sucker Punch
    Hot Fuzz
    The Prestige
    Inglorious Bastards
    A Knight's Tale
    Lady Bird
    Speed Racer
    Jumper
    @InTheWind nice list there. I don't know all of those films, but I like most of the ones you've picked that I've seen very much. I'd recommend The International from 2009, The Talented Mr. Ripley from 1999 and The Tailor of Panama from 2001. All personal favourites of mine.

Thanks for the recommendations!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2019 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »

In no particular order.

Sorry to Bother You
    Colossal
    Only Lovers Left Alive
    Submarine
    Point Break
    Roadracers
    Black Snake Moan
    Empire Records
    Speed
    The Hitcher
    Jane Eyre (2011)
    Predator
    The Terminator
    Kill Bill
    Sucker Punch
    Hot Fuzz
    The Prestige
    Inglorious Bastards
    A Knight's Tale
    Lady Bird
    Speed Racer
    Jumper

Thanks for the recommendations!
    You're welcome. I hope you have a chance to see them and enjoy them. Thanks for your list also - I'll be sure to check out those I've not yet seen.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 6,718
    The Mule (2018). I enjoyed it. I'd read the ending was out of step with the first part of the film. I didn't find to be the case. What I found most interesting was that Clint Eastwood was playing a character role. Earl is not the mostly stoic though charismatic action hero of earlier films. He has his regrets and faults, but he's mainly charming and relaxed. Great contrast and chemistry between him and the associates he meets through his new job.
    Higlander The Final Dimension

you know I know this film has what 4 5 subtitles it's Highlander 3 the remake with Christopher lambert But a lot of bond films have near identical plots so perhaps I should relax

a few brief comments while I watch

Who is Connor talking to in the opening monologue?

WOW Mario Van Peebles looks ridculous

I do Enjoy Highlander's mentor in this one and that he Knows Rameriez

I have to say the cinematography is really good

the first sword fight was weak to say the least

As is the second

Third is alittle better

How in GOD'S name does the archeologist figure out who Connor is seriously?

Mario Van Peebles is eating up so much set they are gonna run out of it soon.

Over all this film is ok at best

Films I saw in 2019
    1. Casino Royale
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Beverly Hills Cop 2
    4. Casino Royale 1954
    5. Oliver Stone The Doors
    6. Highlander
    7. Moonstruck
    8. Hitman agent 47
    9. Highlander 3 The Final Dimension
    10. Walk the line
    11. Highlander 2

Highlander series
    1. Highlander
    2. Highlander 2

Bond series
    1. Casino Royale
    2. Licence to Kill
    3. Casino Royale 1954

Jukebox
    1. Oliver Stone The Doors
    2. Walk the line

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Risico007
    The thing I like most about that film is Deborah Kara Unger's -- uh -- charm. ;-)
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,272
    O.K. Connery (1967)
    Had to watch this at some point, and when I discovered it in full on Youtube yesterday, I just had to give it a go. And (unsurprisingly) the film is just as strange and camp as I expected it to be.

Neil Connery playing Dr. Neil Connery (what's that about?), is such a ridiculous character. How often will you come across a cosmetic surgeon using Tibetan hypnosis as anaesthetic – and who happens to be a champion archer? O.K. Connery certainly rivals CR67 in silliness, but it doesn't have the acting talents of David Niven and Peter Sellers to fall back on. It does however have a cast that includes Daniela Bianchi, Adolfo Celi, Bernard Lee, Anthony Dawson and Lois Maxwell.

The film sure doesn't reach the heights of many other spy genre films, other than being a novelty as far as cast goes, and the fact that it uses the Connery name and Bond craze of the 60's for all it's worth (and then some). The novelty factor is so strong however, that it's worth a watch.

OK-Connery-Operation-Kid-Brother-Dinner-Suit-3.jpg

Some "unique" costume designs in this film. B25, do not take notes!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Risico007
    The thing I like most about that film is Deborah Kara Unger's -- uh -- charm. ;-)

Yeah that scene required multiple repeat viewings while alone for uhm research yes that’s right ;)