James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

chrisisall wrote: »
    Have one of the editions of Blade Runner on DVD, but can't at all remember which one. Can't remember anything from the film, either. I know I should watch it again some time, but all the editions make it difficult. Should I just go for the one I have, or are there other editions which in some way make the movie even better?

In the end, there are really only two actual versions... original theatrical with narration (my fave) and the tinkered-with, retconned, shortened and narration-less ones; they are basically all the same. The 'Final Cut' is just the prettiest of them, with all manner of cool colour corrections.

I see. How much of the film is narrated? Is there narration following most of the scenes, or just here and there?
    It's narrated throughout, but it's not constant. Just punctuates certain developments and realizations. It doesn't tell you much you can't figure out for yourself, rather it just brings you in to Deckard's POV a bit more. Makes the film a bit less clinical.

Have to check out that edition at some point. Seems very different from the edition I've seen.

It's a subtle difference, but in MY view, it makes all the difference. Many seem to dislike or hate the narration. Without it, it would just be another cool sci-fi with a brilliant statement on what it is to be human. Which means it would still be up there with the likes of 2001....

I see. Will be intersting to watch the differences with and without narration. Thanks for the info!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @boldfinger
    Absolutely. The thing looks fabulous. I love the restoration work to be honest.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Any of you unlucky devils that don't have the collection somehow still, and aren't keen on the future of 4K, the blu-ray collection is about to be an Amazon Prime deal in just a couple of minutes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Any of you unlucky devils that don't have the collection somehow still, and aren't keen on the future of 4K, the blu-ray collection is about to be an Amazon Prime deal in just a couple of minutes.

I have 'em all on BD except AVTAK (DVD ONLY) & MR (not at all, sadly. Here's to us... GRRRRR)... ;)

I have 'em all on BD except AVTAK (DVD ONLY) & MR (not at all, sadly. Here's to us... GRRRRR)... ;)
    But... that doesn´t make any sense at all! How can someone not have MR at all?? Do you understand that because of that the world could collapse at any given moment?
    And you need AVTAK on BR, because on DVD the jalousies on the blimb meeting room flicker all the time, and on BR they almost don´t.

Any news on the new 4K versions being released on HDR?
    Kananga wrote: »
    Any news on the new 4K versions being released on HDR?

Nothing past speculation and the inevitability of them being released. My money is still on them saving the unveiling for the gear up toward Bond 25 as an extra bit of marketing, much like they did around the time of SF and the rest of the blu-ray releases.
    I'm sure you guys are already aware of the Apple 4k editions. I don't have Apple TV or Apple products so I can't vouch for them. I'm really not a huge fan of paying lots of money for digital copies that are stored in a cloud. I'd much rather have the discs, guess we will have to wait for that, I'm assuming they'll launch a new 4k set with the next release. Although, it is getting quite tiresome and expensive to keep repurchasing sets.
    @Ed83, perhaps I´m a bit in denial, but my Impression is that the Quality improvements get smaller with each new Format. VHS to DVD was truly a Quantum leap. DVD to BR isn´t half as much an improvement. Many eye-popping differences in Quality are more due to restaurations done exclusively for BR than to the Format itself. And I ask myself, if I like watching movies at the Cinema, how much more sharper, crisper or whatever do I want my home Cinema Format to be than it is in the Cinema?
  • I'm happy with the blu-ray collection. They are the same remaster as was done for the 2006 Ultimate DVD set, I believe. But as soon as we hear of a 4K set , I'm in!
    I've still no doubts that we'll get the films in a physical 4K release by 2020 - either to coincide with the theatrical release of B25, or with the blu-ray/4K release of it months later. That's a perfect time to market them.
    I'm happy with the blu-ray collection. They are the same remaster as was done for the 2006 Ultimate DVD set, I believe. But as soon as we hear of a 4K set , I'm in!
    @ShakenNotStirred, the BR Collection was specifically restaurated meticulously, it Looks completely different from the UE DVDs.

boldfinger wrote: »
    @Ed83, perhaps I´m a bit in denial, but my Impression is that the Quality improvements get smaller with each new Format. VHS to DVD was truly a Quantum leap. DVD to BR isn´t half as much an improvement. Many eye-popping differences in Quality are more due to restaurations done exclusively for BR than to the Format itself. And I ask myself, if I like watching movies at the Cinema, how much more sharper, crisper or whatever do I want my home Cinema Format to be than it is in the Cinema?
    I've got to agree. When 4k was announced I just knew I wasn't about to go through it all again. I made the conscious decision to upgrade from DVD to Blu back in '08 because I was purchasing my first 1080 TV and figured I'd make the leap and have no regrets.

I just have no desire to upgrade to what could be minimal differences and spends countless dollars in doing so when in another 5 years or so the next generation will come out and make that obsolete.

The other bad thing is the special features are less and less frequent on new releases and were one of the main reasons I buy Blus. Not sure there's anything else they can add to Bond special features from the old films I can't already find on YouTube and even when they do add new ones they are seriously underwhelming and almost pointless like the bonus disc in the 50th anniversary Blu set.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    I'm happy with the blu-ray collection. They are the same remaster as was done for the 2006 Ultimate DVD set, I believe. But as soon as we hear of a 4K set , I'm in!
    @ShakenNotStirred, the BR Collection was specifically restaurated meticulously, it Looks completely different from the UE DVDs.

Oh yes, they are a vast improvement over the dvd. But as far as I know, they are based on the same Lowry restoration done on the UE DVDs? With improvements and fixes of course. Correct me if I'm wrong though!
    Regarding the Apple TV 4K versions:

I’ve bought a few, and they generally look as good or slightly better than the Blu-rays on my LG C7 OLED with these 2 exceptions:

1) Goldeneye doesn’t look great, but does look much less murky than the Blu-ray. I’ll take the marginal improvement!
    2) License to Kill: Something is really up with this version - dark scenes have a bizarre video noise issue that ends up looking like flickering. I advised Apple Support of the issue, so not sure if they’ve done anything.

So, aside from LTK, I’ve been pleased with the handful that I’ve bought so far.
    Just remember, too, that the 4K UHD versions will be proper 4K; you're bound to lose some quality by streaming.
    boldfinger wrote: »

Oh yes, they are a vast improvement over the dvd. But as far as I know, they are based on the same Lowry restoration done on the UE DVDs? With improvements and fixes of course. Correct me if I'm wrong though!
    @ShakenNotStirred, if I´m not mistaken the Lowry Restauration was done for BR, not for the UE DVD.

• Thanks for the clarification! I wonder who remastered the UE DVDs? From this trailer (one of my favourite, they don't make them like this anymore! :P ) https://youtube.com/watch?v=-WRbAKHlRdI The previous DVD set, the Special Editions, were not remastered for sure. But they were first to have the excellent behind the scenes doc with Patrick Macnee.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Thanks for the clarification! I wonder who remastered the UE DVDs? From this trailer (one of my favourite, they don't make them like this anymore! :P ) https://youtube.com/watch?v=-WRbAKHlRdI The previous DVD set, the Special Editions, were not remastered for sure. But they were first to have the excellent behind the scenes doc with Patrick Macnee.

In the Dr. No UE DVD, one of the special features details Lowry's restoration process
    I have a question: If buying and downloading one of the Bond films on iTunes (or similar), how good will the picture quality be in comparison to releases on physical formats (BR etc.)?
    I'm fairly certain even with that, physical media is always going to be better, as iTunes would likely have some compression with their files. I'd figure streaming < download < physical, in terms of quality.
  • Thanks for the clarification! I wonder who remastered the UE DVDs? From this trailer (one of my favourite, they don't make them like this anymore! :P ) https://youtube.com/watch?v=-WRbAKHlRdI The previous DVD set, the Special Editions, were not remastered for sure. But they were first to have the excellent behind the scenes doc with Patrick Macnee.

In the Dr. No UE DVD, one of the special features details Lowry's restoration process

Ah! So Lowry did remaster the DVD Ultimate Edition set as well? And then they used the same 4k scans for the blu-ray editions?
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Thanks for the clarification! I wonder who remastered the UE DVDs? From this trailer (one of my favourite, they don't make them like this anymore! :P ) https://youtube.com/watch?v=-WRbAKHlRdI The previous DVD set, the Special Editions, were not remastered for sure. But they were first to have the excellent behind the scenes doc with Patrick Macnee.

Ah! So Lowry did remaster the DVD Ultimate Edition set as well? And then they used the same 4k scans for the blu-ray editions?

All of it is detailed here: http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/post/2015/02/09/James-Bond-007-License-to-Restore
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I have a question: If buying and downloading one of the Bond films on iTunes (or similar), how good will the picture quality be in comparison to releases on physical formats (BR etc.)?

I have the Bond 50 Bluray boxset and also the majority of films on digital download. The Bluray are superior as @Creasy47 mentioned you get more information on the disk. Also I have noticed that a few of the digital Bond films I bought are taken from inferior prints of the films. TSWLM and MR were noticeably inferior on the HD download I got compared to my Blurays. Most of my Bond HD downloads were purchased from Amazon Instant Video, so I don't know what the iTunes HD downloads are like in comparison.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,241
    I'm fairly certain even with that, physical media is always going to be better, as iTunes would likely have some compression with their files. I'd figure streaming < download < physical, in terms of quality.

Guess iTunes will have some compression with their files. Several films I have in my iTunes library are older ones, so it's difficult to know how much compression there is. The reason for asking is that I've yet to take the step up from my Ultimate DVD Collector's Set. As available space is an issue, I wonder if digital downloads is the way to go – or not.

Guess iTunes will have some compression with their files. Several films I have in my iTunes library are older ones, so it's difficult to know how much compression there is. The reason for asking is that I've yet to take the step up from my Ultimate DVD Collector's Set. As available space is an issue, I wonder if digital downloads is the way to go – or not.

Afraid I can't help you there, as I'm a solely physical media buyer, but you can probably get the series very cheap now either digitally or via the blu-ray set (think I saw the complete one on sale a couple of weeks back for about $60-70), or of course if you've waited this long, you could wait another year-ish for the UHD 4K versions. Totally up to you.

Afraid I can't help you there, as I'm a solely physical media buyer, but you can probably get the series very cheap now either digitally or via the blu-ray set (think I saw the complete one on sale a couple of weeks back for about $60-70), or of course if you've waited this long, you could wait another year-ish for the UHD 4K versions. Totally up to you.

Totally forgot about the UHD 4K versions! Will probably have to upgrade to a better TV etc. first, but that might be worth it. Then again, $60-70 for a complete BR set seems very interesting…
    At this rate, I'd definitely wait for the 4K if I were you, as that set will likely be even pricier than the blu-ray set was during its initial release.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 5,767

All of it is detailed here: http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/post/2015/02/09/James-Bond-007-License-to-Restore
    Amazing, I wonder what process is responsible for the BR Looking so different from the UE when both came from the same master?

At this rate, I'd definitely wait for the 4K if I were you, as that set will likely be even pricier than the blu-ray set was during its initial release.

That's a good point. It's not urgent to upgrade the DVD's either, so waiting a little longer won't be an issue.

Thanks! :-)