Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow. Bra-vo. I couldn't do one of these films, let alone two, and back to back! Fallout raised the bar, but i'm quietly confident Cruise will have a few things up his sleeve. Though I can't image how they'll top the last one.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm honestly not going to be surprised if one of these installments goes to space.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Wow. Bra-vo. I couldn't do one of these films, let alone two, and back to back! Fallout raised the bar, but i'm quietly confident Cruise will have a few things up his sleeve. Though I can't image how they'll top the last one.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm honestly not going to be surprised if one of these installments goes to space.
    It's almost inevitable, I feel. I hope he does it. Should make for one heck of a ride.
    bondjames wrote: »

It's almost inevitable, I feel. I hope he does it. Should make for one heck of a ride.

I keep envisioning something like that Red Bull jump from a while back, where the guy rose to space and jumped (and almost tried it all without a parachute) with the intention of landing on a netting of some kind. Perhaps not all that, but a jump from space, or Tom out in space? I can see it coming.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883

I keep envisioning something like that Red Bull jump from a while back, where the guy rose to space and jumped (and almost tried it all without a parachute) with the intention of landing on a netting of some kind. Perhaps not all that, but a jump from space, or Tom out in space? I can see it coming.
    I remember that Red Bull thing. I think if they do it, it will be a little more intricate, perhaps using Musk's real tech in some way. Given what's been recently achieved visually with Gravity and Interstellar the possibilities are endless.

If he's doing any flight training at the moment for Maverick, they may incorporate that as well. Cruise landing an A380?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 13,894

Or free-dive down to the Mariana Trench.

And I'll gladly applaud alongside them because what Cruise brings to the screen is fresh and exciting and dangerous.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Yawn.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised either but at the rate that expectation is being bandied around on social media I'd be willing to bet that they won't do it. I mean, when have they ever done exactly what we expected them to do? :)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

And I'll gladly applaud alongside them because what Cruise brings to the screen is fresh and exciting and dangerous.

Tom is a Legend, very few have done the type of things he does in cinema, his Co stars applaud because they respect him and rightly praise him for his exploits.

You beat me to it. Where's the applause line?
    Tom is a Legend, very few have done the type of things he does in cinema, his Co stars applaud because they respect him and rightly praise him for his exploits.
    What's quite fascinating is, because of what he's been up with these MI films lately, people forget what a great and accomplished actor he is. He has an impeccable resume spanning close to 40 years. I realized that this weekend when I saw 1983's Risky Business. There are many films of his I have yet to get to, and I hope that he focuses on more serious acting again once he hangs up Hunt for good.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Excited about the recent news along with you people.

I would find it very interesting to see a future M:I film in space. No doubt it wouldn't reach Moonraker levels of glorious cheese (probably not even close) but it would be intriguing to contrast such a film with the 1996 original. The M:I saga would've experienced (and in fact already has to some degree) a Bond-style evolution --or rather variation, because it's not necessarily better, just different-- in terms of storytelling scope and tone, from the somewhat somber, cynical, character-driven, claustrophobic original to the more heroic-feeling, action-driven, expansive recent entries.
    @bondjames, I read it too quick so it doesn't say it outright, but they're usually applauding and praising him. Just found that post a bit laughable, had to address it.
    @bondjames, I read it too quick so it doesn't say it outright, but they're usually applauding and praising him. Just found that post a bit laughable, had to address it.
    @Creasy47, I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't clear. I meant the line up to clap and cheer for Tom. Where is it? I'm there!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,271

You beat me to it. Where's the applause line?
    What's quite fascinating is, because of what he's been up with these MI films lately, people forget what a great and accomplished actor he is. He has an impeccable resume spanning close to 40 years. I realized that this weekend when I saw 1983's Risky Business. There are many films of his I have yet to get to, and I hope that he focuses on more serious acting again once he hangs up Hunt for good.

I have roughly twenty of Tom's film on Dvd and Bluray, admittedly I don't like all his films though most of them are great. I agree he will likely have a new phase in his career after Hunt. Though he has long ago cememted his legacy and no current movie star of his generation can match him IMO.
    @Creasy47, I think you misunderstood me. I meant the line up to clap and cheer for Tom. Where is it? I'm there!

Ahh, I see what you mean - right there with you!
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    This cool but I always wished they got Rian Johnson or brought Brad Bird back
    If I'm not mistaken, McQuarrie had quite a bit of involvement on GP as well.

I think he just clicks with Cruise. From what I've read based on comments from other stars on the film, they pretty much know where the other is coming from now. It's a well oiled machine, like the old Bond films used to be with the same teams.
    @bondjames On the action front, don’t forget Fast & Furious 9 in 2020 and Fast & Furious 10 in 2021.
    I had no idea these were being done back to back as well. Thanks @DaltonCraig007. Awesome news. So we'll be getting 3 of those in a row too (if one counts Hobbs and Shaw).
    EDIT: Seems Lin is already confirmed, as they're starting production on these in April/May of this year.
    Six is my favourite so far, so this is very good to read.
    Edited: I would welcome a cliff hanger at the end of MI 7
    Didn't they already give us that at the end of MI6, literally? ;) In all seriousness, I agree. One year won't be long to wait for resolution, so why not.

I almost wrote pun intended, with a year gap they could do the one huge movie split in half.

I have my theories about the final act of Fallout
    I think the husband of Julia played by Wes Bentley is either an Apostle or part of the Syndicate
    You could be on to something here. We shall see.

But was MaQuarrie's involvement before or after Brad Bird joined? Bard Bird on it from the start can create The Iron Giant and The Incredibles.

I think he just clicks with Cruise. From what I've read based on comments from other stars on the film, they pretty much know where the other is coming from now. It's a well oiled machine, like the old Bond films used to be with the same teams.
    @bondjames On the action front, don’t forget Fast & Furious 9 in 2020 and Fast & Furious 10 in 2021.
    I had no idea these were being done back to back as well. Thanks @DaltonCraig007. Awesome news. So we'll be getting 3 of those in a row too (if one counts Hobbs and Shaw).
    EDIT: Seems Lin is already confirmed, as they're starting production on these in April/May of this year.
    Didn't they already give us that at the end of MI6, literally? ;) In all seriousness, I agree. One year won't be long to wait for resolution, so why not.

I almost wrote pun intended, with a year gap they could do the one huge movie split in half.

I think the husband of Julia played by Wes Bentley is either an Apostle or part of the Syndicate

But was MaQuarrie's involvement before or after Brad Bird joined? Bard Bird on it from the start can create The Iron Giant and The Incredibles.
    @M_Blaise it was afterwards. My understanding is that he was brought in for uncredited rewrites, and this contributed to a tighter, more connected story. He also was instrumental in keeping the character of Julia alive (she was originally meant to be really dead).

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2464310/christopher-mcquarrie-reveals-the-issues-mission-impossible-ghost-protocols-script-initially-had

He also made the massive box office bomb Tomorrowland. Bird isn’t untouchable.

MooreFun wrote: »

He also made the massive box office bomb Tomorrowland. Bird isn’t untouchable.

Is McQuarrie untouchable or is that irrelevant?
    Given that Cruise's age surely is a factor re filming back to back, as a clever guy, surely McQ is considering ideas post Cruise? It's just natural and a firm challenge for him. If they are to continue post Cruise, they need to have a smooth transition where it fits into the arc of the team and it can be exploited re higher levels of drama. Having a consistancy re writer, directer etc IMHO makes it far more likley that MI can succeed after Cruise ,
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Personally, I'd rather they don't inject more drama. It's an escapist spy fiction. Not Game of Thrones. The drama was fine in the last three films.

As for a post-Cruise team, Rebecca Ferguson is perfectly set up. She's got everything in terms of leadership what the others don't. I could also see Luther retiring the same time as Hunt, provided neither get killed (and hopefully neither do).

Michael Fassbender would be a terrific addition to the team, though. Especially if he plays a Rollin Hand type of a character which suits him perfectly, in my opinion.

Regarding the tone, I'd like something in between the first film and Ghost Protocol, both of which are perfect.
    Get Chris Evans. I think he could make a wonderful addition to the team and has Cruise like energy. Fassbender could definitely lend some 'heft' and gravitas post-Cruise as well.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Or free-dive down to the Mariana Trench.

No, he should be locked in a safe.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Great news. I like the MI franchise and I have respect for Cruise doing all his own stunts. Can't wait to see how they try and top Fallout
    Well that certainly rules CM out of directing a Bond film anytime soon then?
    Given that Luther offers continuity back to the first movie (and he can act IMHO), I think he should stay. I like the idea of him retiring and then coming back for revenge after hearing of Cruise's death.

Peg needs to go IMHO. Seeing him die within a PTS would be something pretty shocking.

Agree, RF is the perfect lead with a new male actor as the number two. Hard to argue with MS but, post Cruise, an American actor maybe be better?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Well that certainly rules CM out of directing a Bond film anytime soon then?

Never say never - he'll be finished shooting by 2021 at the latest, and I don't see the next era of Bond shooting until 2022-2023 at the absolute earliest.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,423
    patb wrote: »
    Agree, RF is the perfect lead with a new male actor as the number two. Hard to argue with MS but, post Cruise, an American actor maybe be better?
    Jon Hamm, perhaps?

jon-hamm.jpg
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Given that Luther offers continuity back to the first movie (and he can act IMHO), I think he should stay. I like the idea of him retiring and then coming back for revenge after hearing of Cruise's death.

Peg needs to go IMHO. Seeing him die within a PTS would be something pretty shocking.

Agreed. I like Pegg, but I think Benji has run his course and when it comes to himself, Ilsa, and Luthor he is certainly the weaklink.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,423

Agreed. I like Pegg, but I think Benji has run his course and when it comes to himself, Ilsa, and Luthor he is certainly the weaklink.
    Mission: Impossible - Wavelink Weaklink confirmed!