No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Just heard the great news about Chris Maquarrie signing up for back to back MI films. EON will have to raise their game now.

I think we'll do just fine with CJF at the helm. McQuarrie is a great writer and a skilled director, but I'm actually hoping Bond 25 is somewhat smaller in scale to Fallout with a different tone and approach.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Just heard the great news about Chris Maquarrie signing up for back to back MI films. EON will have to raise their game now.

I think we'll do just fine with CJF at the helm. McQuarrie is a great writer and a skilled director, but I'm actually hoping Bond 25 is somewhat smaller in scale to Fallout with a different tone and approach.
    I agree. It worked well enough with SF, which followed GP but didn't try to match it on stunts. I think a smaller scale and more character focused operation will work better in the Craig universe. Cruise is more suited to high jinks and nobody can match him in that arena. It would be foolish to try.

For it to work for me they just have to nail the aesthetics and score, get a good villain and Bond babe (sorry Maddy, but you don't cut it) and focus more on other characters rather than Bond.

Escalus5 wrote: »
    MooreFun wrote: »
    If they aren't planning to make this film look like a finale and Bond25 turned out to be successful, I see no reason why DC can't return for 6th and 7th film he is a damn good actor He is doing this film to see if his magic still works, if it does he will surely want to return for more.

Roger Moore was too old for his last two, but we should definitely have a Daniel Craig just as old, or even older, for two more movies. I do wish the fan base was more consistent.

I don't get the Craig worship either. I like the guy, but c'mon. Some of his fans would be okay with him still playing Bond from a nursing home.

Honestly I am a huge Craig fan but even I am fine with him moving on from the role (so long as Fassbender, Hardy or Hiddleston get the role)
    bondjames wrote: »

I agree. It worked well enough with SF, which followed GP but didn't try to match it on stunts. I think a smaller scale and more character focused operation will work better in the Craig universe. Cruise is more suited to high jinks and nobody can match him in that arena. It would be foolish to try.

For it to work for me they just have to nail the aesthetics and score, get a good villain and Bond babe (sorry Maddy, but you don't cut it) and focus more on other characters rather than Bond.

A big yes to all of that, dear friend.

I do hope CJF brings his A game and gets along with the gang.

• echo wrote: »
    I don't see Eon being able to pivot 25 into a back-to-back for 26, not this late. Nor do I see them turning around quickly enough to get a film out in 2022.

I really wish they would plan two or three movies into the future. They still have novels to adapt faithfully. There's no reason why they couldn't be working both on a YOLT adaptation for B25 and MR for B26, right now.

Added bonus: they would have different writers on different scripts, and fresh blood.

Not sure why Eon doesn't do more development, as far as we know. They often say that it is difficult to come up with new ideas, so why not use new writers? Give them all the same edict, to start with Fleming.

Yes, I've said as much before. I'm not asking for a Marvel-esque 'universe' that's plotted a decade into the future. But if I were in charge, I'd have taken a bit of that $2-billion haul from the last two films and commissioned a handful of treatments. not screenplays, not storyboards, just basic treatments. Then at all times I've got a warchest of diverse, viable ideas to spin into a script, and could even plan them 1 or 2 films in advance. (And avoid the situation we're in now, years after the last film and still scrambling to cobble together a plan.)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,554
    octofinger wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    I don't see Eon being able to pivot 25 into a back-to-back for 26, not this late. Nor do I see them turning around quickly enough to get a film out in 2022.

I really wish they would plan two or three movies into the future. They still have novels to adapt faithfully. There's no reason why they couldn't be working both on a YOLT adaptation for B25 and MR for B26, right now.

Added bonus: they would have different writers on different scripts, and fresh blood.

Not sure why Eon doesn't do more development, as far as we know. They often say that it is difficult to come up with new ideas, so why not use new writers? Give them all the same edict, to start with Fleming.

Yes, I've said as much before. I'm not asking for a Marvel-esque 'universe' that's plotted a decade into the future. But if I were in charge, I'd have taken a bit of that $2-billion haul from the last two films and commissioned a handful of treatments. not screenplays, not storyboards, just basic treatments. Then at all times I've got a warchest of diverse, viable ideas to spin into a script, and could even plan them 1 or 2 films in advance. (And avoid the situation we're in now, years after the last film and still scrambling to cobble together a plan.)

The warchest idea is a good one. But something tells me that EON might already have some of this.

I think we might be missing something with the MI announcement. Doesn't the very fact that Cruise and McQuarrie and the studio have this commitment is because of money? You simply do NOT see EON saying, "Yeah, we'll have Bond 26 in 2021 and Bond 27 in 2023..." Why? Part of the reason is that Bond isn't operating in that studio system like MI or Marvel are. They're just not. For the most part, Bond originated from a small family production co.; MI is directly coming from the studio system.

The studio already is committing money to three films, for which there is likely no script or even a treatment. That might sound great, but it can also backfire. Look what happened to Universal when they went all in with their Dark Universe series (which now will never happen.)

I'm not saying that EON/BB should be content with a Bond film every 3-5 years. But this is a small outfit. They're not operating the same way as WB or Universal. EON has to research first, get locations and ideas, and THEN commit to budget. MI is operating the other way around: a commitment no matter what: here's your money, now go do it. If Disney were to purchase the rights to Bond, then yes: we'd see a new film every two years. But I also think the quality would go down.

MI is NOT Bond for one simple reason: there is NO risk. If Cruise and McQuarrie mess up the next film and the series tanks, they'll shrug and move on to other stuff.

I am not sure ANYONE would want to be associated with the Bond film that ended the series. So I am certain there is far more consideration that goes into a Bond film. We can debate all we want that that consideration went out the window with SP and the foster brother angle, but EON was trying to be strategic. It didn't kill the series.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Well said!
    TripAces wrote: »

The warchest idea is a good one. But something tells me that EON might already have some of this.

I think we might be missing something with the MI announcement. Doesn't the very fact that Cruise and McQuarrie and the studio have this commitment is because of money? You simply do NOT see EON saying, "Yeah, we'll have Bond 26 in 2021 and Bond 2027 in 2023..." Why? Part of the reason is that Bond isn't operating in that studio system like MI or Marvel are. They're just not. For the most part, Bond originated from a small family production co.; MI is directly coming from the studio system.

The studio already is committing money to three films, for which there is likely no script or even a treatment. That might sound great, but it can also backfire. Look what happened to Universal when they went all in with their Dark Universe series (which now will never happen.)

I'm not saying that EON/BB should be content with a Bond film every 3-5 years. But this is a small outfit. They're not operating the same way as WB or Universal. EON has to research first, get locations and ideas, and THEN commit to budget. MI is operating the other way around: a commitment no matter what: here's your money, now go do it. If Disney were to purchase the rights to Bond, then yes: we'd see a new film every two years. But I also think the quality would go down.

MI is NOT Bond for one simple reason: there is NO risk. If Cruise and McQuarrie mess up the next film and the series tanks, they'll shrug and move on to other stuff.

I am not sure ANYONE would want to be associated with the Bond film that ended the series. So I am certain there is far more consideration that goes into a Bond film. We can debate all we want that that consideration went out the window with SP and the foster brother angle, but EON was trying to be strategic. It didn't kill the series.

It didn't kill the series and at the same time earned tons of money. You don't make the 4th highest grossing out of 24 with a movie that people HATE (like a lot inhere), no matter how powerful was the SF boost.

The fact that Bond is a family business, a kind of "sartorial" franchise, is one of the main reasons why those productions feel so unique.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I think we might be missing something with the MI announcement. Doesn't the very fact that Cruise and McQuarrie and the studio have this commitment is because of money? You simply do NOT see EON saying, "Yeah, we'll have Bond 26 in 2021 and Bond 2027 in 2023..." Why? Part of the reason is that Bond isn't operating in that studio system like MI or Marvel are. They're just not. For the most part, Bond originated from a small family production co.; MI is directly coming from the studio system.

The series will always be fine. Even if 25 were to be a disappointment both critically and financially, we'd still be set up for a new wave of optimism as we get a new James Bond. This is a cycle that will repeat itself (until the eventual end of days) regardless of how well-received the previous era was. We will always have that.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,043

matt_u wrote: »
    Well said!

It didn't kill the series and at the same time earned tons of money. You don't make the 4th highest grossing out of 24 with a movie that people HATE (like a lot inhere), no matter how powerful was the SF boost.

The fact that Bond is a family business, a kind of "sartorial" franchise, is one of the main reasons why those productions feel so unique.

Spot on and yes I am a big Craig fan but no I wouldn't want him doing it till he's not credible in the role.

It looks more than likely this will be his last, I'll be sad but if he's made that decision to move on I'll accept so not all us DC fans want him in an embarrassing the stuntmen have more screen time scenario like a certain other actor no longer with us.

Bless Rog but he went on too long and the same way that us DC fans make allowances for him some Rog fans will give him slack here. The truth is it was embarrassing watching him trying to be credible in the role.

The same way that some claim BB will have DC because she is obsessed with him in the role forever could be applied to her Father with Roger. Cubby clearly couldn't let go of him and kept in the role 2 more entries than he should.

I think we are far from that moment with DC and he'll call time before it gets to this regardless of BB wanting him to stay.

We can all agree that Roger is a salt of the earth guy and the best ambassador the series has had but I think his fans are sometimes unlikely to acknowledge that he stayed onto long and part of that was he liked the money.

Once Bond was gone he was unlikely to command a salary like that again. Once Bond was finished for him his career as an actor was pretty much done. There was no after Bond later renaissance for him unlike Connery.

We'll see if DC goes down a similar trajectory once Bond is done but he was a well sort after character actor before this and not just some TV star and I could well see him slip back into that alongside some TV work and treading the boards again.

Then again he may choose to take a back seat and enjoy the fruits of his labours and let Rachel pursue her career while he brings up their new child.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    It appears as though EON-produced film “The Rhythm Section” has been delayed to autumn. Perhaps Bond 25 trailer attached?
    Where can Bond go after Craig? I just can't see it right now but I'm sure there will be surprises in store.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    If they aren't planning to make this film look like a finale and Bond25 turned out to be successful, I see no reason why DC can't return for 6th and 7th film he is a damn good actor He is doing this film to see if his magic still works, if it does he will surely want to return for more.

Roger Moore was too old for his last two, but we should definitely have a Daniel Craig just as old, or even older, for two more movies. I do wish the fan base was more consistent.

I get that but Daniel doesn't need to look like Tom cruise or perform stunts like him and he is 50 now , as much as I want to see new actor I believe he can look the part even for 2 more films if he wanted to. People shouldn't forget that his acting skills and willingness is something that kept him going not performing physical stunts like Tom cruise.
    Yesterday I saw Cold War - excellent polish movie, I highly recommend it - and while the end credits were rolling I realized it starred Tomasz Kot in the main male lead.

Since Boyle wanted him as the main villain of his Bond movie, now I can say that I'm glad is not goin to happen. I don't find him neither menacing, neither creepy, neither charming. He's okay but there's nothing about him that suggested me that he could work as Bond villainous counterpart. Really. We never had any strong confirmation, but I truly believe that the Hodge/Boyle script was almost completely (or even 100%) scrapped since his departure. Maybe they saved just some locations.
    I don’t see how shooting movies back to back is “raising the game”. Most movies that were shot back to back are pretty awful.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 832
    I would have been open to shooting bond 24-25 back to back given the continuity of the craig era. There are some good elements in spectre that could have been expanded/ they could intriduced spectre more gradually, perhaps having a #2 as the main villain in bond 24 with blofeld in 1-2 scenes behind shadows and introducing waltz’s blofeld in yolt fashion in bond 25. Plus we could have had 5 craig films by now and would be discussing the start of a new tenure in 2019/ 2020.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343
    I don’t see how shooting movies back to back is “raising the game”. Most movies that were shot back to back are pretty awful.

"Most" is not correct.

A lot of back to back production delivered not-so-good movies but there are also a lot of great examples. Like Return to the Future I & II, The Human Condition Trilogy, The Three Colors Trilogy, Kill Bill, Clint Eastwood's Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima and of course the great The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I also personally like both Pirates 2 and 3 and The Hobbit Trilogy, there's a lot of good things in those movies. Marvel now is goin to win with Avengers 3 and 4 shot back to back. We'll see then what Cameron has in store with Avatar.

BTW I'm glad such a thing never happened to Bond, hoping won't occur in the future.
  • In the case of Bond, you lock in an actor (and the rest of the cast, I suppose) while they're a few years younger, too. Given the waits and uncertainty between Bond films lately, that's not such a bad idea.

Obviously you don't want to do it just for the sake of it. But if their were a pair of scripts that merit it, I'm all for shooting back-to-back.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    peter wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity and to allay any lingering concerns I may have re: my earlier thoughts, could someone please give me an example of one 'self contained' multi-film series which ended on a 'high' note critically and then successfully rebooted with the immediately following film (as opposed to the successor getting critically panned and then having to reset again after a few films)? I'm hoping there's one. I'm not referring to box office, but rather critical reception.

The Potter franchise. Fantastic Beasts didn't do too shabby and was well received. The first one, at least, not the latest one. Don't know if that fits the bill. I'll think of others. Wait, but that one had a continuity, albeit being prequels. So...no, because no other had the Bond formula. I think. It's late here ;)
    Cheers. Just curious. I'll try to think of a few myself.

I'm obviously a dummy. What's the question here:

"give me an example of one 'self contained' multi-film series which ended on a 'high' note critically and then successfully rebooted with the immediately following film (as opposed to the successor getting critically panned and then having to reset again after a few films)? "...

Are you talking an Alien self-contained series that then went back to Ridley Scott's re-boots?

And I don't think I saw your original post , so I have to ask, @bondjames , what and how does this relate to Bond and B25? Once again, so that text doesn't misconstrue, I'm genuinely asking and not being sarcastic.
    I wouldn't say you're a dummy.

I'm asking about whether a self contained multi-film series with a continuing narrative has ever finished with a critically acclaimed last entry and then continued on with a reboot in the next entry in a successful critical fashion. If you know of any, let us know.

Has anyone mentioned Rocky/Creed?

Iirc Rocky Balboa was pretty well received and then was followed up with the
    Shardlake wrote: »
    This has more to do with Cruise and striking while the iron is hot, it's not like he gets BO hits from any other films any more.

They quite rightly want to capitalize on the success of Mi 6 so the back to back idea makes sense but also Cruise isn't getting any younger and despite his Peter Pan like ability he won't be playing the role for much longer after this.

MI will disappear unless they find another actor that will take on the franchise (very unlikely) the way Cruise can.

Bond will continue, it has bumps in the road and people fall out of favour with it but it comes back.

There is a contingent out there that is fans of this and Bond but they keep getting the 2 mixed up, one is nothing like the other, yes they are spy adventures and that is it.

One was TV show that became a movie franchise, has had now 6 films and seems in a very green period but it can't last forever. The other is a 50+ year film series quite like no other in the history of film that is having a bumpy patch.

Though the hyperbole seems to be the loudest and due to Cruise's franchise being put in the same breath as the Raid films by some, Bond is all of a sudden doomed and if it doesn't catch up it will be obsolete.

The biggest mistake would be to react to this and try to compete. Bond will be fine whereas although MI looks to be going great guns at this present time. It will be consigned to film history once the Scientologist is too old to pursue is literally psychotic passion to almost kill himself in order to top the last death defying stunt.

I think it needs to be understood that MI and Bond are comparable to some degree and as such the 2 being discussed in the same breath is a natural flow of discussion. However, people can label Cruise however they want but it can't be denied the MI film's are his vehicle which he's nurtured and cultivated for over 20 years and is seeing consistent success while delivering immensely on the entertainment. It's strange to me how some people almost begrudge Cruise and the MI film's because of this, especially when compared to Bond.

I don't presume to ever speak on behalf of others but as a huge Bond fan I think out of the 24 film's in the series , there's less than 10 actually legit good movies with the rest either being average or subpar.

MI follow a creative mandate that they deliver on. Bond on the other hand is all over the place. I personally don't care for how long Bond has been on cinema screens I care about what I'm actually paying to see. Bond wants that commercial success, leveraged with a high brow artistic pedigree resulting in for the most part a clumsy and disappointing execution. Matters are only made worse with these incredibly long gaps between releases and; what I feel to be is a whole lot of mismanagement starting with the producers.

I sincerely hope things turn out great for Bond 25 because the series needs a critical and entertaining hit and as of right now the only exciting thing about this film other than filming about to start in a few months is CJF taking the reigns as director. This to me is the most meaningful thing EoN has done in years for a Bond production.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Every other Bond film is good. So we're due with B25!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    This has more to do with Cruise and striking while the iron is hot, it's not like he gets BO hits from any other films any more.

They quite rightly want to capitalize on the success of Mi 6 so the back to back idea makes sense but also Cruise isn't getting any younger and despite his Peter Pan like ability he won't be playing the role for much longer after this.

MI will disappear unless they find another actor that will take on the franchise (very unlikely) the way Cruise can.

Bond will continue, it has bumps in the road and people fall out of favour with it but it comes back.

There is a contingent out there that is fans of this and Bond but they keep getting the 2 mixed up, one is nothing like the other, yes they are spy adventures and that is it.

One was TV show that became a movie franchise, has had now 6 films and seems in a very green period but it can't last forever. The other is a 50+ year film series quite like no other in the history of film that is having a bumpy patch.

Though the hyperbole seems to be the loudest and due to Cruise's franchise being put in the same breath as the Raid films by some, Bond is all of a sudden doomed and if it doesn't catch up it will be obsolete.

The biggest mistake would be to react to this and try to compete. Bond will be fine whereas although MI looks to be going great guns at this present time. It will be consigned to film history once the Scientologist is too old to pursue is literally psychotic passion to almost kill himself in order to top the last death defying stunt.

I have to agree with everything you said, sir. M:I was born from a TV show, grew around its star and his quest for ever greater stunts, and that’s about it.

It will have to grow much more than this to ever be in the same league as James Bond (which was born through the very unique voice of an author who penned novels and short stories about his character).

James Bond doesn’t need to compete with a live action Looney Tunes adventure.

@sharkdlake, very good points.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Yesterday I saw Cold War - excellent polish movie, I highly recommend it - and while the end credits were rolling I realized it starred Tomasz Kot in the main male lead.

Since Boyle wanted him as the main villain of his Bond movie, now I can say that I'm glad is not goin to happen. I don't find him neither menacing, neither creepy, neither charming. He's okay but there's nothing about him that suggested me that he could work as Bond villainous counterpart. Really. We never had any strong confirmation, but I truly believe that the Hodge/Boyle script was almost completely (or even 100%) scrapped since his departure. Maybe they saved just some locations.

Interesting @matt_u. To be honest that was the one thing I was enthusiastic about or at least curious that Boyle was going to bring: a relative unknown European actor as the villain. I'm not really convinced about the one being rumored.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 2,115
    Revising because of a basic math error.

To make a November 2022 release, Bond 26 would have the fastest production pace (after Bond 25) since Casino Royale-Quantum of Solace. We'll see.
    peter wrote: »

I have to agree with everything you said, sir. M:I was born from a TV show, grew around its star and his quest for ever greater stunts, and that’s about it.

It will have to grow much more than this to ever be in the same league as James Bond (which was born through the very unique voice of an author who penned novels and short stories about his character).

James Bond doesn’t need to compete with a live action Looney Tunes adventure.

@sharkdlake, very good points.

And born from a TV show that grew out of the spy craze created by Bond at that.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Exactly... @vzok...

And now the M:I films are manufactured around one thing: Tom Cruise. If this series was a "food" it'd be air-pie.

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    The point people are making is MI is firing on all cylinders while Bond is fumbling about under EON. I do want Bond to compete, not by copying MI films, but by knowing their brand and executing great movies... then and only then, will there be no comparison.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    The point people are making is MI is firing on all cylinders while Bond is fumbling about under EON. I do want Bond to compete, not by copying MI films, but by knowing their brand and executing great movies... then and only then, will there be no comparison.

I agree. I’m no EON hater, but I want to see Bond experience the same kind of revitalization that Fallout has brought the MI franchise. They need to up their game.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States

I agree. I’m no EON hater, but I want to see Bond experience the same kind of revitalization that Fallout has brought the MI franchise. They need to up their game.

Starting in the writing department.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,043

I know not everyone on the forum like it in fact I'm certain but Skyfall I believe was that film.

It's just Mendes dropped the ball on the next one, MI fans are so convinced that the same couldn't happen to that, these things don't go on forever, look at Bourne.

A darling of the critics but then a spin off a return to the main event with disappointing results.

I personally don't care about MI as I can't stand it's main star but this won't last you can bet on that.

Bond will be back bigger and better whether it's next year or when but Bond will outlive MI tenfold.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    MaxCasino wrote: »

Starting in the writing department.

Yes. SP was a mess. I enjoyed that it was a return to the more classic formula, but the plot was a slapped together mess that felt like everything was decided last minute.