Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ludovico wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Elba is a cool cat. He's just having fun with the whole thing. It's not his fault that it keeps coming up and he's denied it so many times already.

Actually he has stirred the pot himself numerous times, so there's that. Turner on the other hand has refused all of the times to comment on it when asked by the media. The wise thing to do.

That I consider a smart move on his side. Even though he'll never be Bond, it keeps him in the picture, also of others who want to make movies in the same genre. In other words, it helped him keeping his status as a film star. It is in a way a huge compliment to the James Bond series.

And it's not like Idris Elba's movies are enough right now to keep his status as a film star.

At the end of the day he's a very good actor and gets work and doesn't need Bond for any of that. His next movie i believe is a leading role in the fast and furious spin off Hobbs and Shore which will be a mega hit.
    Outside of Bond most audiences arent checking for Craig. Once he's done with Bond I wouldn't be surprised if he falls into the shadow realm of obscurity. Knives out is his most high profile film in 13 years outside of Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Elba is a cool cat. He's just having fun with the whole thing. It's not his fault that it keeps coming up and he's denied it so many times already.

Actually he has stirred the pot himself numerous times, so there's that. Turner on the other hand has refused all of the times to comment on it when asked by the media. The wise thing to do.

That I consider a smart move on his side. Even though he'll never be Bond, it keeps him in the picture, also of others who want to make movies in the same genre. In other words, it helped him keeping his status as a film star. It is in a way a huge compliment to the James Bond series.

And it's not like Idris Elba's movies are enough right now to keep his status as a film star.

At the end of the day he's a very good actor and gets work and doesn't need Bond for any of that. His next movie i believe is a leading role in the fast and furious spin off Hobbs and Shore which will be a mega hit.
    Outside of Bond most audiences arent checking for Craig. Once he's done with Bond I wouldn't be surprised if he falls into the shadow realm of obscurity. Knives out is his most high profile film in 13 years outside of Bond.

CB&A? THE GOLDEN COMPASS? GWTDT?
    Cavill isn't suited for Bond. The man has exactly 0.0% charisma, a trait Bond must(!) have. At least Turner has wit and some mystery to him and not '2D' like Cavill in any way. It'd be a big mistake if Babs would favor Cavill over Turner, if the choice would be between them.

Yes, I agree.
    Cavill isn't suited for Bond. The man has exactly 0.0% charisma, a trait Bond must(!) have. At least Turner has wit and some mystery to him and not '2D' like Cavill in any way. It'd be a big mistake if Babs would favor Cavill over Turner, if the choice would be between them.

Couldn’t disagree more. Cavill has screen presence and can handle the physical aspects just fine. Not sure where this “zero charisma” accusation is coming from, beyond personal dislike.
    MooreFun wrote: »

Couldn’t disagree more. Cavill has screen presence and can handle the physical aspects just fine. Not sure where this “zero charisma” accusation is coming from, beyond personal dislike.

He's a very wooden actor, people liking him does not make him charismatic.
    I understand the Cavill criticism, but if MI Fallout proved anything, it’s that he can do smarmy, smug, belligerent and arrogant. We didn’t really know that before.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @GetCarter Until FALLOUT, I was a vocal hater of the prospect of Cavill as bond, however after watching him in that non Superman role, he has charm and screen presence and I truly believe he could me a comfortable fit as bond ( as long as he lost some weight)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    He's my third choice behind Turner and Hardy.

He does seem to get more Bondian with age.

I didn't watch this earlier, but now that I have I must say that Cavill looks darn good in this clip. I'm assuming this was somewhat recent? Very cool indeed.

Charisma or presence is different from acting. I believe Cavill has charisma. He just isn't a great actor. If he can hone his skills in that area sufficiently (and honestly, Bond doesn't require thespian skills) then he should be more than suitable.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I understand the Cavill criticism, but if MI Fallout proved anything, it’s that he can do smarmy, smug, belligerent and arrogant. We didn’t really know that before.
    I agree.
    @GetCarter Until FALLOUT, I was a vocal hater of the prospect of Cavill as bond, however after watching him in that non Superman role, he has charm and screen presence and I truly believe he could me a comfortable fit as bond ( as long as he lost some weight)
    He impressed me in that film too. He was working with a top notch cast and team, and that probably helped to bring out the best in him.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited January 2019 Posts: 11,139
    peter wrote: »

I suppose given the cast and crew of these films they're somewhat high profile movies but nonetheless these are All before SF and happened to all be unsuccessful franchise killers.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,087
    Yes @bondjames that clip is from 2018. I think he looks more Bondian the slimmer he is, compared with when he was superman and looked like a bodybuilder (I have never liked that look for Bond) (and shorter hair helps too). He certainly has the Roger Moore raised eyebrow down, haha.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Henry Cavil will get the nod after Mr Craig finishes. Whŷ? Because EON have a bit of previous when it comes to re looking at actors for Bond who they have previously liked or considered.
    Back at the beginning Roger Moore was touted as a potential Bond, got it later of course. Dalton was considered in 1969, he himself apparently said no, feeling he was too young. Got the part later. We all know the carry on that Brosnan had after being cast for TLD, EON went back to him for Goldeneye.
    My point (if indeed I even have one) is that Cavill came 2nd to Craig for CR, Barbara Broccoli really liked him. He's still on her radar you just watch!

I may be wrong but always felt Cavill was Campbell and MGW's choice. I don't see Babs going back to Cavill but who knows.

Cavill is definitely not as bad as he used to be in terms of acting but just lacks something IMO.

Yes Elba is a good, even a great actor. But most if not all of his success have been from TV.
    Elba was one of the better recent suggestions IMO.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

I suppose given the cast and crew of these films they're somewhat high profile movies but nonetheless these are All before SF and happened to all be unsuccessful franchise killers.

Yes, the pedigree behind these films were would suggest that these are high profile films.

Even LL was high profile with the cast and the director that was involved.

These being box office failures wasn't because of one actor, though. And TGWDT was a brilliant Fincher film that was released during the Holiday Season. Shoot the marketers for that one. There's counter-programming then there's being tone-deaf.

Unlike you, I don't think Craig will disappear into obscurity. I see him probably doing a lot of ensemble pieces with great casts (as seems to be his MO in most of his films outside of James Bond). I don't think he will be chasing box office, nor is he interested in that. He will choose story, director, cast, and go and do his job.

Perhaps not any longer but Craig certainly was interested in becoming a star for a while. Its just his attempts failed to make much impact at the boxoffice. Craig isn't a film star, he just does Bond. I think the next guy needs to be able to fill the duties of a bonefide leading man. Thats means being outgoing and amiable with Press and fans.

I think of the suggested names, Turner and Cavill are probably best at that. Hardy has been a bit standoffish with Journo's in the past.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

And you are entitled to your opinion. I stand by mine. Furthermore he's already too famous anyway.
    Getafix wrote: »
    Elba was one of the better recent suggestions IMO.

Not at his age.
    Yes @bondjames that clip is from 2018. I think he looks more Bondian the slimmer he is, compared with when he was superman and looked like a bodybuilder (I have never liked that look for Bond) (and shorter hair helps too). He certainly has the Roger Moore raised eyebrow down, haha.
    Agreed. He's getting better with age.
    I guess the problem with looking like Bond is it causes people to ignore your painfully wooden acting.
    All the actors have stepped up to the plate when it comes to Bond.
    It raises any actors game.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Which is why I think acting ability is low down on the list of priorities. The gravity of a big franchuse like Bond will draw a performance out of an actor, just as it did for Moore, Lazenby and Brosnan.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883

Which is why I think acting ability is low down on the list of priorities. The gravity of a big franchuse like Bond will draw a performance out of an actor, just as it did for Moore, Lazenby and Brosnan.
    I think ability is important, but agree that they've all stepped up and surprised positively. I have no doubt that the next man will as well. That's not to say that we'll all like what we'll get, but I'm sure there will be fantastic moments, as there have been with all that have come before. I'm optimistic.

I think ability is important, but agree that they've all stepped up and surprised positively. I have no doubt that the next man will as well. That's not to say that we'll all like what we get, but I'm sure there will be fantastic moments, as there have been with all that have come before. I'm optimistic.

Same here,IMO they got the right Bond for the right moment in time spot on,when that particular kind of actor was needed.

I think ability is important, but agree that they've all stepped up and surprised positively. I have no doubt that the next man will as well. That's not to say that we'll all like what we get, but I'm sure there will be fantastic moments, as there have been with all that have come before. I'm optimistic.

Same here,IMO they got the right Bond for the right moment in time spot on,when that particular kind of actor was needed.

I agree. I'm very optimistic for B26.

B25 however is another matter.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Despite not being my favourite Bond, Daniel Craig has been an excellent 007. Almost a second coming of the Dalton Bond. Darker, more aggressive. A cold killer.
    Whoever comes next will indeed impress us, and at times make us cringe. You can't please everyone, as the old saying goes.
    Personally I enjoyed Pierce in the role,and his films are enjoyable romps.

Although I do know I am in the minority....

I agree.

That was an era where characterisation was not the main priority, it was mostly about being fun and entertaining. Good times.

And you are entitled to your opinion. I stand by mine. Furthermore he's already too famous anyway.

And no one knew who Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan were before being cast as Bond, right? ;)

But in what a lovely minority we’re in, right?
    Univex wrote: »

But in what a lovely minority we’re in, right?

But of course...an elite bunch indeed @Univex ;)