Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 7,974
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cruise hits 60 in 2022. Nice way to close out his action days on top.

Of course in the actual film he'll only be about 57/8, as it looks like they will start filming in 2019.

MI is not only producing a better product than Bond right now, they're doing so in a more timely manner.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Bloody hell, good on them for having series direction (unlike some franchises)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883

Of course in the actual film he'll only be about 57/8, as it looks like they will start filming in 2019.
    They are? Now that is commitment. I suppose he will be physically fit and ready after Maverick and can go straight into filming MI:7.

With any luck we'll get B26 in 2023, and that will mean us spy fans will have something to look forward to every year from now until then.

2019: Kingsman 3
    2020: B25
    2021: MI:7
    2022: MI:8
    2023: B26?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,686
    @bondjames On the action front, don’t forget Fast & Furious 9 in 2020 and Fast & Furious 10 in 2021.

As for this news: Christmas came very, very early this year. Tom Cruise is going to cement himself as (IMO) the greatest action star of all time. Can’t wait to see these films.
    wait fast and furious is also shooting back to back?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

I believe so, the 9th and 10th outings will be the final ones of the 'main' franchise (they might pump out more Hobbs & Shaw sequels if this summer's film is successful). They're trying to bring back Justin Lin, who directed Fast 3, 4, 5 and 6.

EDIT: Seems Lin is already confirmed, as they're starting production on these in April/May of this year.
    Fantastic news! Just give us a better villain than Lane please.

They are? Now that is commitment. I suppose he will be physically fit and ready after Maverick and can go straight into filming MI:7.

With any luck we'll get B26 in 2023, and that will mean us spy fans will have something to look forward to every year from now until then.

2019: Kingsman 3
    2020: B25
    2021: MI:7
    2022: MI:8
    2023: B26?

Yeah, it's great having two heavyweight action spy franchises going at the same time. My increased enjoyment of MI has made up for some of my dissatisfaction with Bond in the recent years, I'll admit.

I believe so, the 9th and 10th outings will be the final ones of the 'main' franchise (they might pump out more Hobbs & Shaw sequels if this summer's film is successful). They're trying to bring back Justin Lin, who directed Fast 3, 4, 5 and 6.

EDIT: Seems Lin is already confirmed, as they're starting production on these in April/May of this year.

Confirming this phenomenon to now be a common Hollywood trend (shooting back to back) and looking at bonds history of “copying” popular cinematic things at the time, it would be safe to suspect a possible shooting of B26/B27? Together. Or perhaps B27/B28
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,105
    Very smart decision by Paramount this will create alot olf buzz off the back of Fallout there highest box office in the series, I suspect we have two great movies to look forward to.

Edited: I would welcome a cliff hanger at the end of MI 7
    @bondjames On the action front, don’t forget Fast & Furious 9 in 2020 and Fast & Furious 10 in 2021.
    I had no idea these were being done back to back as well. Thanks @DaltonCraig007. Awesome news. So we'll be getting 3 of those in a row too (if one counts Hobbs and Shaw).
    Six is my favourite so far, so this is very good to read.
    Didn't they already give us that at the end of MI6, literally? ;) In all seriousness, I agree. One year won't be long to wait for resolution, so why not.
    @bondjames Also slight correction on your list: the new Kingsman film coming this year is a prequel/spinoff set in World War 1, with Ralph Fiennes serving as the mentor agent (instead of Colin Firth in the present-day Kingsman). They are also making a 'proper' Kingsman 3 (planned to be filmed at the same time as the prequel) and link up all 4 films. Which, given they are set almost a century apart, makes me think time-travel will be involved (I would be perfectly okay with this if they can retcon Mark Strong's Merlin and Roxy back to life).
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I was indeed misinformed, because I thought the one they were releasing this year was a direct sequel and not a pseudo prequel. I'm still surprised EON brought him back for B25, given he will be in a rival series (even if in a different capacity).
    @bondjames To make you salivate even more: the prequel (titled Kingsman: The Great Game) will also feature Daniel Bruhl and Charles Dance.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I don't care a lot about the M:I franchise, but the fact that McQ is going to direct not one, but even two new movies is just boring. Fallout was great speaking about action set pieces, cinematography and locations, but the rest of the movie - acting, dialogues, screenplay, even some VFX - was just extremely awful.
    @bondjames To make you salivate even more: the prequel (titled Kingsman: The Great Game) will also feature Daniel Bruhl and Charles Dance.
    Great stuff @DaltonCraig007. I was just thinking the other day that Bruhl should be in a Bond film one day, and Dance could make an exceptional M (he could have made a decent Bond too).

I am definitely looking forward to that installment now.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    matt_u wrote: »
    I don't care a lot about the M:I franchise, but the fact that McQ is going to direct not one, but even two new movies is just boring. Fallout was great speaking about action set pieces, cinematography and locations, but the rest of the movie - acting, dialogues, screenplay, even some VFX - was just extremely awful.

You're in the minority there fortunately, @matt_u
    There have been many discussions on various threads concerning why the Bond franchise cannot plan ahead better and some said, for various reasons it could not be done. MI now has stability for 2 more movies including director, script writer and I'm sure the main cast members will be happy to come back. It all makes common sense for the fans, the production, investors, partners, distributors etc etc.

edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343

Yes I know, but this isn't changing the fact that acting - with the exception of Cruise body language - screenplay and even some VFX were bad. ;)

Rogue Nation was much better as an overall movie, except for the silly prologue.

Yes I know, but this isn't changing the fact that acting - with the exception of Cruise body language - screenplay and even some VFX were bad. ;)

Rogue Nation was much better as an overall movie, except for the silly prologue.

Have you got some examples of the bad acting, screenplay and VFX? There was only one moment in the film I found unbelievable, and it came from Cruise himself.

Rogue Nation was good too but it didn't leave me with the same feeling of breathlessness that Fallout did. They're also directed in different ways, which is a credit to McQuarrie's range.

Have you got some examples of the bad acting, screenplay and VFX? There was only one moment in the film I found unbelievable, and it came from Cruise himself.

Rogue Nation was good too but it didn't leave me with the same feeling of breathlessness that Fallout did. They're also directed in different ways, which is a credit to McQuarrie's range.

Look, I saw it once in the cinema so I can't recall everything. I just remember that Cavill is good only when doesn't speak, Cruise deliveries where almost flat and annoying - perhaps also because the bad writing - and Baldwin felt like a fish out of water. There where scenes that felt so wrong, like Cruise impersonating Lark at the White Widow house, the ridiculous scene with the "sexy" police officer (Je suis désolée, lol), Rhames in the "Teddy bear mood" speaking about Hunt with Ilsa, the first meeting for the plutonium in Berlin with Pegg's annoying out of contest humor and Ethan and Ilsa dialogue in Paris where she speaks about having no choice. The overall movie felt like a collection of (great) action set pieces and the feeling that McQ tried to hide the story tiny plot with the action was really strong. The VFX were so bad in the last act, where was extremely clear which scenes they shoot in the studio vs the scene on location. I don't want to even talk about Cruise CG face when the bomb explodes killing him in the first dream sequence.

I agree giving McQ credit to his direction.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I had no idea these were being done back to back as well. Thanks @DaltonCraig007. Awesome news. So we'll be getting 3 of those in a row too (if one counts Hobbs and Shaw).
    Didn't they already give us that at the end of MI6, literally? ;) In all seriousness, I agree. One year won't be long to wait for resolution, so why not.

I almost wrote pun intended, with a year gap they could do the one huge movie split in half.

I have my theories about the final act of Fallout
    I think the husband of Julia played by Wes Bentley is either an Apostle or part of the Syndicate
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541

I am within minority as well, rogue nation was best in terms of story telling, high rewatchabality than fallout.
    This cool but I always wished they got Rian Johnson or brought Brad Bird back
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, McQuarrie had quite a bit of involvement on GP as well.

I think he just clicks with Cruise. From what I've read based on comments from other stars on the film, they pretty much know where the other is coming from now. It's a well oiled machine, like the old Bond films used to be with the same teams.

I almost wrote pun intended, with a year gap they could do the one huge movie split in half.

I have my theories about the final act of Fallout
    I think the husband of Julia played by Wes Bentley is either an Apostle or part of the Syndicate
    You could be on to something here. We shall see.
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Then who will make Incredibles 3? ;)

;)

I can’t say I’m overjoyed at this news. One of the best things about the MI franchise was that each movie had a different feel because of the different directors. Now half of the franchise will be directed by the same guy... Also it’s obvious they decided to make two movies at once for financial rather than artistic reasons.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 40,372
    I can’t say I’m overjoyed at this news. One of the best things about the MI franchise was that each movie had a different feel because of the different directors. Now half of the franchise will be directed by the same guy... Also it’s obvious they decided to make two movies at once for financial rather than artistic reasons.

Or because they wanted to do two more with Cruise, knowing that he's getting up there in age, and figured it'd be better to have one long, grueling shoot rather than a semi-long grueling shoot, followed up with a few more years of him tackling other projects, then returning for an eighth when he's a bit past his prime and it's all too late. We know nothing of what they have planned, so you can't say it's definitely not an artistic reason, too.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Or because they wanted to do two more with Cruise, knowing that he's getting up there in age, and figured it'd be better to have one long, grueling shoot rather than a semi-long grueling shot, followed up with a few more years of him tackling other projects, then returning for an eighth when he's a bit past his prime and it's all too late. We know nothing of what they have planned, so you can't say it's definitely not an artistic reason, too.

I see it as a very practical way of giving him a decent send-off.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 13,882
    Wow. Bra-vo. I couldn't do one of these films, let alone two, and back to back! Fallout raised the bar, but i'm quietly confident Cruise will have a few things up his sleeve. Though I can't image how they'll top the last one.