"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

barryt007 wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »

Oh dear.......

He has won the Norwegian league with Molde! What more do you want? ;)

His managerial record in the UK is,er,how can I put it ?.....crap.

Haha, yes! His managerial achievements in Norway are massively overrated as well. He's won the league with Molde twice, but only after two billionaires (in Norwegian krone that is) invested heavily in the club – and Rosenborg sold several key players.

Man Utd will be relegated if that muppet takes over !!

A bit far from relegation now, aren´t they? ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,328
    There is still dead wood to shift at United though Ole has had the best winning start of any United manager, one thing Ole has is the players and fans backing, some of the things he has said has impressed me, early days I was not sure what to expect from Ole
    Very pleased with a hard earned point at the Baggies yesterday. Really hoping for a win at home now on Friday night at home to Birmingham.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

United, United, United!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Well, today’s Man City match proves once and for all that they play by a whole different set of rules than the rest of the league.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Very pleased with a hard earned point at the Baggies yesterday. Really hoping for a win at home now on Friday night at home to Birmingham.

Still very close between the top 4 it seems!
    TripAces wrote: »
    Well, today’s Man City match proves once and for all that they play by a whole different set of rules than the rest of the league.

With that squad depth, I'd be surprised if City don't win the league again.

What rules have they got?

Certainly is my friend, Hoping for a win Friday night at home against Birmingham. Decent team at the minute.

Certainly is my friend, Hoping for a win Friday night at home against Birmingham. Decent team at the minute.

Hadn't noticed that Birmingham's done so well until you mentioned it. Will no doubt be an interesting match!

Two legends! Wonder if we'll see one of them back at Arsenal one day, @barryt007 ?

And that face he makes ;))
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,279

And that face he makes ;))

You mean the one facial expression you'll see him make?

Two legends! Wonder if we'll see one of them back at Arsenal one day, @barryt007 ?

I think its what the club needs eventually old pal,someone who knows the Arsenal way,and can use it to their advantage.

Something Emery doesn't have,alas.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    vzok wrote: »

What rules have they got?

Hard tackle against their side = red card. Hard tackle by their side = 0. Plain for everyone to see in two games (Liverpool and then Wolves).

I think its what the club needs eventually old pal,someone who knows the Arsenal way,and can use it to their advantage.

Emery sure have some thing working against him succeeding - the main factors being the ownership and the state of the club. A Vieira or a Henry would at least have the benefit of being legends at the club already, and therefore would likely have a united fan base behind them.

I hope they do well in France, which will give them the required experiences to take on the Arsenal job. In the meantime I hope Unai will manage to sort out the issues which needs to be addressed at the moment.

Emery sure have some thing working against him succeeding - the main factors being the ownership and the state of the club. A Vieira or a Henry would at least have the benefit of being legends at the club already, and therefore would likely have a united fan base behind them.

I hope they do well in France, which will give them the required experiences to take on the Arsenal job. In the meantime I hope Unai will manage to sort out the issues which needs to be addressed at the moment.

He will do,providing he gets the time and the backing.
    He needs to clear out a lot of players and bring in new ones,its a rebuilding process once more.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 7,500
    Honestly I don't see much manegarial potential in Henry. I have seen him as a pundit om several occations, and I have never been impressed by his football knowledge. He might be likeable and a decent leader, but on tactical understanding I think he is way behind Emery.

With Vieira it's hard to say. Will be interesting to follow his manager career.

Edit:

Anyways I think some Arsenal fans are far too impatient with Emery. Changing a culture, system and squad after one man has been in charge of everything for such a long time, is not done in a day. Give him at least a year and another transfer window to stamp his athourity properly on the team. Emery's CV is very strong and from what I have seen, Arsenal is moving in the right direction. And honestly, their squad is slightly weaker than most of the other contenders for top four. Beating them is possible, but it shouldn't be expected either, certainly not demanded!

He will do,providing he gets the time and the backing.
    He needs to clear out a lot of players and bring in new ones,its a rebuilding process once more.

Indeed. It's very clear that there needs to be a lot of squad changes to be competitive – most of all in defence. Maybe a winger is needed as well – and a goalkeeper now that Čech retires (unless Martinez gets the second GK role).
    Honestly I don't see much manegarial potential in Henry. I have seen him as a pundit om several occations, and I have never been impressed by his football knowledge. He might be likeable and a decent leader, but on tactical understanding I think he is way behind Emery.

With Vieira it's hard to say. Will be interesting to follow his manager career.

Edit:

Anyways I think some Arsenal fans are far too impatient with Emery. Changing a culture, system and squad after one man has been in charge of everything for such a long time, is not done in a day. Give him at least a year and another transfer window to stamp his athourity properly on the team. Emery's CV is very strong and from what I have seen, Arsenal is moving in the right direction. And honestly, their squad is slightly weaker than most of the other contenders for top four. Beating them is possible, but it shouldn't be expected either, certainly not demanded!

I can see Henry being a good number two in charge. The Belgium squad spoke favorably about him, I remember. Vieira is probably more naturally suited as a manager.

Arsenal fans are impatient given the state of the club, and how the club has fallen behind their rivals. But with the Kroenkes in charge, I'd be surprised if Emery will get the chance to build the squad he needs. This stat is quite telling:

I like what I've seen of Emery so far, but that defence isn't improving (yet), which is a big worry. Hopefully they'll address this in the coming transfer windows.
    Get in!!! Very important win against Blues tonight! Hopefully Leeds and Sheffield United slip up tomorrow now? OTBC!!!!
    Get in!!! Very important win against Blues tonight! Hopefully Leeds and Sheffield United slip up tomorrow now? OTBC!!!!

That depends; has Bielsa managed to send out another spy after the "Spy Gate" scandal? :-D

Norwich seems to keep their form going. Impressive!

That depends; has Bielsa managed to send out another spy after the "Spy Gate" scandal? :-D

Lol!

Well my friend the results went my way as I had hoped for, with both Leeds and Sheffield Utd losing!! Gonna be really interesting the next couple of weeks.

Lol!

Well my friend the results went my way as I had hoped for, with both Leeds and Sheffield Utd losing!! Gonna be really interesting the next couple of weeks.

How about that! The Championship is becoming quite the points thriller! West Brom have yet to play as well, and can close in the gap up to Sheffield Utd.

Interesting discussion with Jose

Lol!

How about that! The Championship is becoming quite the points thriller! West Brom have yet to play as well, and can close in the gap up to Sheffield Utd.

Which they have and now leap frogged Sheffield Utd into third. Exciting and nervous times ahead!

Lol!

Which they have and now leap frogged Sheffield Utd into third. Exciting and nervous times ahead!

Shefield Utd next too, I see. Good opportunity to get a gap down!
    Héctor Bellerín out the rest of the season after having ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee in the match against Chelsea. If there was a slim chance of getting inside the top four, that's probably gone now…

Lol!

Shefield Utd next too, I see. Good opportunity to get a gap down!

That is what I am certainly hoping for seeing as we have Leeds Utd the following week! But would need West Brom to slip up too?