Coming soon to cinemas near you! - The upcoming films thread

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This looks zany. Definitely on my list. Nightcrawler was great and the fact that some of the same team are involved (behind and in front of the camera) has me excited.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm still kind of blown away that a man of such prowess as Fincher is taking on a zombie horror sequel of all things. I'm real eager to see what he ends up bringing to the table.

Yes the real question is W H Y would he
    Indeed. I was asking the same thing.
    The review embargo for Alita: Battle Angel ends a full 2 weeks before the North American release, on January 31st.

This is surprising, as it had flop written all over it after how underwhelming the marketing campaign has been thus far. I haven't seen anything about it in my area. Not even a TV spot.

But maybe they have faith in it, after all.
    It's not a surprise to me. I was quite intrigued by the trailers and am actually thinking of seeing this one in the theatres, which is unusual for me because this is not a genre I'm partial to. Something about the special effects and premise had me interested from the get-go (I know nothing about what this is based upon). I'm not saying it will be a monster success, but the earlier calls for it to flop may have been premature. We shall see.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    The review embargo for Alita: Battle Angel ends a full 2 weeks before the North American release, on January 31st.

This is surprising, as it had flop written all over it after how underwhelming the marketing campaign has been thus far. I haven't seen anything about it in my area. Not even a TV spot.

But maybe they have faith in it, after all.
    It's not a surprise to me. I was quite intrigued by the trailers and am actually thinking of seeing this one in the theatres, which is unusual for me because this is not a genre I'm partial to. Something about the special effects and premise had me interested from the get-go (I know nothing about what this is based upon). I'm not saying it will be a monster success, but the earlier calls for it to flop may have been premature. We shall see.

I'll be checking it out too, regardless. There just doesn't seem to have been a big push for it, considering the talent involved and how expensive it looks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm still kind of blown away that a man of such prowess as Fincher is taking on a zombie horror sequel of all things. I'm real eager to see what he ends up bringing to the table.

Yes the real question is W H Y would he

Perhaps a mixture of the ideas they have in store for the sequel, alongside the ability to work with Brad Pitt again.
    You can find the french box-office for 2018 here :

jpbox-office.com/charts_france.php?filtre=datefr&variable=2018

Note that some of the movies have not finished their careers yet (the one marked in pink). But the big winner is The Incredibles 2. Deservedly so, methinks.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    These posters are so, so awful - what a night and day difference from the Hitchcockian posters and artwork we had for The Commuter.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Paul Schrader has confirmed his next film will be a western, starring Ethan Hawke and Willem Dafoe.

https://theplaylist.net/paul-schrader-western-ethan-hawke-willem-dafoe-20190114
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,270
    These posters are so, so awful - what a night and day difference from the Hitchcockian posters and artwork we had for The Commuter.

Do like the use of the 70's font on the Cold Pursuit poster.
    That poster looks like the cover of a novel with the quotation marks. I like it.

I do like that, it's akin to a 70's pulp type novel, but the poster itself is awfully boring and Photoshopped.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,270

I do like that, it's akin to a 70's pulp type novel, but the poster itself is awfully boring and Photoshopped.

You won't find a poster that isn't in any way Photoshopped these days! It's a wonderful tool, so it's a bit strange we don't see more creative solutions around. My guess is that the designers are so pressed for time to finish the posters and marketing material, that they have to go for simple solutions just to get things done in time.
    Oh no doubt about that, but there are good Photoshop jobs and bad Photoshop jobs, and this one is definitely the latter. I know posters aren't as big a marketing tool these days as they were 50 years ago, but it's definitely more reassuring when some time and thought is put into them.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 @bondjames @DarthDimi @ClarkDevlin @doubleoego @MajorDSmythe

Some casting developments:

- Caleb Landry Jones joins Ralph Fiennes, Mark Strong, Rebecca Hall and Said Taghmaoui in The Forgiven. The film is written and directed by John Michael McDonagh (The Guard, Calvary, War on Everyone).

- Caleb Landry Jones will also be in the Tom Hanks-led sci-fi flick BIOS.

- Charlotte Rampling has joined Dave Bautista, Rebecca Fergusson, Stellan Skarsgard and Timothée Chalomet in Denis Villeneuve's Dune.

- Danny Glover joins Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black, Karen Gillan and Danny DeVito in Jumanji 3.

- 15 years after 'Lost in Translation', Sofia Coppola will direct Bill Murray again in On The Rocks.

'The film follows a young mother (Rashida Jones) who reconnects with her larger-than-life playboy father (Bill Murray) on an adventure through New York City.'
    Oh no doubt about that, but there are good Photoshop jobs and bad Photoshop jobs, and this one is definitely the latter. I know posters aren't as big a marketing tool these days as they were 50 years ago, but it's definitely more reassuring when some time and thought is put into them.

This is very true. I hope we'll get a great poster and marketing campaign for the upcoming Bond film.
    Some casting developments:

- Caleb Landry Jones joins Ralph Fiennes, Mark Strong, Rebecca Hall and Said Taghmaoui in The Forgiven. The film is written and directed by John Michael McDonagh (The Guard, Calvary, War on Everyone).
    I just checked the premise for this film and it looks interesting. He's a decent actor, and the rest of the cast is very strong and highly watchable.
    - Charlotte Rampling has joined Dave Bautista, Rebecca Fergusson, Stellan Skarsgard and Timothée Chalomet in Denis Villeneuve's Dune.
    I'm really looking forward to this, even though I have no idea how it will turn out. It will be a complex film to make.
    They're finally making a true Ghostbusters sequel, directed by Ivan Reitman's son Jason Reitman.

And there's already a teaser released by Sony.

SharkBait wrote: »
    They're finally making a true Ghostbusters sequel, directed by Ivan Reitman's son Jason Reitman.

Nice. Get Sigourney, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and the rest of the original cast and I'm there.
    SharkBait wrote: »

Now that´s what I´m calling a teaser!
    Is that a new Matrix film :))?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Reeves is older than Craig. I don't wanna hear any excuses.

After 'Lone Survivor', 'Deepwater Horizon', 'Patriots Day' and 'Mile 22', a 5th collaboration between Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg is coming later this year: the crime/thriller Wonderland.

An ex-felon named Spenser returns to Boston's criminal underworld to unravel a twisted murder conspiracy.

Also starring Alan Arkin and Winston Duke.

MV5-BN2-Y4-YWVj-Mj-Yt-MTkx-OC00-Mj-Zi-LWEw-NDUt-Yjli-ZGM5-Mzdj-Mj-Uy-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-OTMy-Mj-Yw-NTA-V1.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Glad Winston Duke is getting out there with these film projects.
    First official look at Vin Diesel's Ray Garrison in Bloodshot:

kzk4xac484b21.jpg

Ray Garrison, a slain mobster, is re-animated with superpowers.

Release date: February 21, 2020.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Interested!

A pair of high-frequency traders go up against their old boss in an effort to make millions in a fiber-optic cable deal.

After 'Lone Survivor', 'Deepwater Horizon', 'Patriots Day' and 'Mile 22', a 5th collaboration between Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg is coming later this year: the crime/thriller Wonderland.

An ex-felon named Spenser returns to Boston's criminal underworld to unravel a twisted murder conspiracy.

Also starring Alan Arkin and Winston Duke.

MV5-BN2-Y4-YWVj-Mj-Yt-MTkx-OC00-Mj-Zi-LWEw-NDUt-Yjli-ZGM5-Mzdj-Mj-Uy-Xk-Ey-Xk-Fqc-Gde-QXVy-OTMy-Mj-Yw-NTA-V1.jpg
    Wow, these two seem to be a serious team. I've only seen Deepwater Horizon, and enjoyed it.
    A pair of high-frequency traders go up against their old boss in an effort to make millions in a fiber-optic cable deal.

I quite like these kinds of films. Eisenberg is perfect casting for this sort of thing. Hayek too.
    @bondjames I really suggest 'Patriots Day' and 'Lone Survivor' if you have a few hours to spare. IMO both of these are to the level of 'Deepwater Horizon'. 'Mile 22' are their only dud as far as I'm concerned.
    Thanks @DaltonCraig007. I'll definitely seek them out soon.