Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I would agree that Craig is a better actor than Cavill.

Cavill does seem to have a strange X-Factor about him though, a real screen presence. Despite the fact that he hasn't always delivered in big parts, he usually has with a good story. He was excellent in The Tudor's, and in MI:Fallout. Doesn't hurt that he looks like a million quid in a suit, is 6'3 and hits like a Freight Train in fight scenes.

Of all the potential Bond's mentioned, he has always been my preferred choice.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Hardy is not Bond, please stop it now!

He's a great actor but Bond he is not and no even if Nolan got near Bond he'd have more sense to cast someone else. Its like when Vaughn mentioned doing Bond with Fassbender a few years back, if this happened in the future there is no way he'd cast him. Yes Fassy would have made a great Bond but that boat has sailed many years ago and Vaughn if he got a shot would be looking at a younger less famous candidate.

I also think Turner has more of a shot than Cavill, I bloody hope so anyway. I certainly don't want another Brosnan like Bond which is likely what we'll get with Henry.

Whereas Turner is a bit more mysterious looking, I think he could surprise me I'm not saying I'm on board but if it comes down to him or Cavill, give it to Turner.

As I said before we have no idea any of these guys would be great ambassadors, some of you have such hard ons for criticizing DC's so called not up to the job because he has said some questionable things in the role.

No other actor on the planet apart from those who've played the part have any idea what pressure this role brings, the expectation and Daniel has been through the mill more than most.

Anyone thinks the next guy is going to get it easier just because he fits what Bond looks like in your head is way off base.

Maybe certain factions of this forum will be soiling themselves and just lapping up the fact their choice made it but the big wide world it will be a different situation and the worlds press, internet and print will be looking for the slightest chink in their armour.

It's what they do and with this being the 2nd Bond in the history to be under the glare of the world wide web, they won't know what has hit them, then we'll see if Daniel wasn't up to the task of handling the pressures of the role that some of you seem to have decided.

No other role in the history of motion pictures compares to this and while it's a great honour to play Bond and the luxuries it affords you also have to realize you become public property and the whole world will want a piece of you.

Oh yes. I think I’m squarely behind you on this.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Craig being more accomplished an actor that Cavill, I don't Know anyone could argue that one, without being laughed off the forum

There isn't a comparison, when Spielberg casts Henry Cavill in his next picture in a high profile role or David Fincher is singing his praises and wants him specifically for a part.

Has Cavill appeared throughout a British BBC drama that has endured and still continues to be praised and delivered a performance of range and power that got them noticed so much then he was propelled into a series of highly acclaimed character acting roles? As well has been described as one of the best character actors of his generation at the time?

Or Rian Johnson wants him to lead his latest project? The list goes on. No DC has not set the box office alight outside of Bond but there is never a shortage of those singing his praises.

Forgive me but I think I might trust the above a bit more than some fan forum when it comes to Daniel Craig's abilities and asking if Cavill is in the same league shouldn't even be a question.
    Yes, @Shardlake, on this we are in full agreement. Neither Hardy nor Cavill are suited, one because he simple doesn't have the looks or even deserves the role, and the other because he is not that good of a thespian. After Daniel Craig, they can't go one dimensional again. They need someone who appreciates the legacy, is a good actor, and has the looks. Hardy is a disrespectful oaf and the most overrated actor of his generation, and Cavill is a wooden bloated double chined hammer with no acting skills. I have no ideia how a Bond fan, who truly understands the character, has read books on it, the Fleming novels, has watched every single film more than 10 times each, grew up with it,..., can possibly advocate for such actors (Hemsworth - the surfer bimbo, included), for the role. This thread has only taught me that people have different tastes and are willing to disregard the characters creator descriptions altogether only to suit their views. Yes, I've been advocating for Turner, but truth be told, none, NONE of said candidates fits the character well. When Craig was announced I immediately said, too bad he's blond, because apart from that and some inches of height, he has the facial features that Fleming described. Besides that, he is an helluva thespian. He can even convince me he's taller and darker, just by acting his chops off.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that Daniel Craig is not a very fine actor. Or has been a very good James Bond, bringing much depth and character to the role. Something that has been warmly embraced by many Bond fans and non Bond fans alike.
    He's taken Bond into a different direction, whilst maintaining the Fleming character where possible.
    I don't know why some of you are getting worked up by the names of Hardy or Cavill or anyone else as a possible replacement down the track.
    They're merely a suggestion. I don't know if Cavill would be a good Bond. He's never played the part. In my post earlier, I only suggested him as he screentested for CR and apparently was very close to landing the role. So he must have something. As we know Moore, Dalton and Brosnan were all considered for the part before being cast. So it's possible that Cavill will be as well.
    It's a little arrogant to suggest that, if you've read the books and truly understand the character and films, that you would suggest the likes of Cavill, Hemsworth or such like, because they're not suitable in that particular members eyes. We all have often similar yet vastly different opinions when it comes to 007. And I for one wouldn't have it any other way. It adds to the overall enjoyment of the subject.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Benny wrote: »
    I don’t know why, but I think Henry Cavill has a good chance to replace Daniel Craig as Bond #7.
    He’s probably not my preferred choice, but if history is anything to go by, Cavill narrowly lost out the part in CR. EON are known to sometimes cast an actor who’s screen tested previously. He also gained more experience and attained exposure with Superman and MI.
    Despite his apparent lack of acting ability, he does have a typical Bondian look to him. Wouldn’t be too hard to imagine him in the role. It certainly wouldn’t shock me if he was our next 007.
    He wouldn't be my preferred choice either, but I can certainly live with him as James Bond. He definitely has the right look and can work well within a lighter toned environment, based on what I've seen of him to date. .
    If they're going for a two-dimensional Bond, which is what I've been missing for quite sometime now, then yes, Cavill would be perfect. But, if they'll go down the road of more internal psychosis and exploring further of the character's inner conflicts whatsoever, then, they'll have to look elsewhere.
    I agree.
    Though Hardy is a decent actor, I don’t think he’s the right actor to take on Bond. He likes versatility, and I can’t see him being a great ambassador for the James Bond brand.
    I don’t think he’d want to be potentially typecast in the role. Just don’t see it at all.
    I agree on this too. Of all the names out there, Hardy is the biggest, and therefore the most unlikely. I don't doubt that he could play James Bond though. I've read disparaging remarks about him from a few, but he has always impressed the heck out of me as an actor. He is one of the best in the business as far as I'm concerned and very versatile, but that doesn't make him a good Bond.

I read a lot about Craig being the best actor we've had as Bond. Well, he's not my favourite actor, nor is he my favourite Bond. Daniel Day Lewis is one of the best actors ever reportedly, but I've only seen one of his films and am not that interested about anything he puts out. James Bond is less about acting than it is about projection and image. Even Craig has acknowledged that in one of his interviews.

So I'd prefer it not be Hardy, and I don't think it will be either. Despite this interesting experiment they have taken with the recent iteration, their history suggests they will go for someone with different attributes next time out. Hardy reminds me too much of Craig, both physically and in his style.
    -- -- --

Do some of these choices seem improbable now? Of course they do. None of these actors have had the privilege to play James Bond yet. If any of them actually get the chance, then we shall see what they are made of - we shall see if they can step up and inhabit this role, publicity and all. I believe it's premature to dismiss any of them outright without seeing them actually play the part because our perceptions and impressions can only give us some idea.

We all have our preferences, but in the end no Bond actor has disappointed. They've all had their moments. This is the most coveted role in the business and anyone worth his salt will go for broke if cast.

As I've written previously, those who like (or even love) the current actor are the ones who will probably be the most disappointed by his successor. It's obvious and it's understandable. Those who liked his predecessor more may prefer the new man, or they may not depending on the choice. Those who believe it's more than time for a change are likely to be ecstatic whoever the choice is.

As long as we all keep an open mind to everyone we are likely to avoid being upset by the eventual choice. As long as the producers invest in their new actor in the way that they invested in Craig and tailor the films to his strengths, it will be all good. They must deliver 100% commitment to whoever they end up selecting.

I'm sure we all want this franchise to endure and succeed, and therefore are optimistic about the future post-Craig. I know I certainly am. Bring it on.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Many of you guys advocate that we can't rely on our perceptions and impressions on a given actor if we have not seen him play Bond. And yet, we champion one or the other based on exactly our perceptions and impressions.

What you guys are really advocating is the right to bare an opinion and to defend it. And I'm all for it. I'm a liberal democrat. But hell, I can go crazy and say that Ryan Reynolds would make an excellent Bond. What? You haven't seen him play the part. Neither have I. Is it a valid opinion? Can I champion Timothee Chalemet without you saying I don't understand the Bond character? Of course not.

So, in the end, all this "I'll let you have your opinion because that causes diversity and we can all get along in that schizophrenic bandwagon" is just another PC move that endorses empathy from the forum crowd.

There was a time when one could have said "if you defend Hardy for Bond you don't get Bond" and we could all go from there. One explaining why he sees Hardy as Bond and defending is right to be called Bond savvy. Now, from the get go, god forbid if one challenges another's opinion.

And this sort of attitude has polluted pages and pages of discussion in internet forums, without getting us nowhere.

Yes, I dare to say that one who sees Hardy as Bond doesn't understand the character. Now, please feel free to tell me otherwise. Maybe, maybe you'll even change my opinion.

Aren't these forums after all? It's not flippin facebook, is it? With likes and whatnot.

That's how things are done.
    Univex wrote: »
    Many of you guys advocate that we can't rely on our perceptions and impressions on a given actor if we have not seen him play Bond. And yet, we champion one or the other based on exactly our perceptions and impressions.
    Indeed you do. We all do. It's in the eye of the beholder. That doesn't make it right or wrong. Just unique. It's what it means to be human, and that's why there's really no consensus on much in this world. All we can do is keep an open mind and be open to persuasion, either via logic or emotion depending on how we are predisposed.

I've seen too many examples of changes in perceptions and opinions in life (including my own) to realize that.

In this case, it's not a question of diversity in my view. Neither is it a question of PC pandering. It's a matter of free expression and having a healthy debate about the merits and keeping an open mind. Such was required for every actor that has worn the tux, including the very first one, and by the creator of the character himself!
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    edited January 2019 Posts: 984
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don’t know why, but I think Henry Cavill has a good chance to replace Daniel Craig as Bond #7.
    He’s probably not my preferred choice, but if history is anything to go by, Cavill narrowly lost out the part in CR. EON are known to sometimes cast an actor who’s screen tested previously. He also gained more experience and attained exposure with Superman and MI.
    Despite his apparent lack of acting ability, he does have a typical Bondian look to him. Wouldn’t be too hard to imagine him in the role. It certainly wouldn’t shock me if he was our next 007.
    He wouldn't be my preferred choice either, but I can certainly live with him as James Bond. He definitely has the right look and can work well within a lighter toned environment, based on what I've seen of him to date. .
    If they're going for a two-dimensional Bond, which is what I've been missing for quite sometime now, then yes, Cavill would be perfect. But, if they'll go down the road of more internal psychosis and exploring further of the character's inner conflicts whatsoever, then, they'll have to look elsewhere.
    I agree.
    Though Hardy is a decent actor, I don’t think he’s the right actor to take on Bond. He likes versatility, and I can’t see him being a great ambassador for the James Bond brand.
    I don’t think he’d want to be potentially typecast in the role. Just don’t see it at all.
    I agree on this too. Of all the names out there, Hardy is the biggest, and therefore the most unlikely. I don't doubt that he could play James Bond though. I've read disparaging remarks about him from a few, but he has always impressed the heck out of me as an actor. He is one of the best in the business as far as I'm concerned and very versatile, but that doesn't make him a good Bond.

I read a lot about Craig being the best actor we've had as Bond. Well, he's not my favourite actor, nor is he my favourite Bond. Daniel Day Lewis is one of the best actors ever reportedly, but I've only seen one of his films and am not that interested about anything he puts out. James Bond is less about acting than it is about projection and image. Even Craig has acknowledged that in one of his interviews.

So I'd prefer it not be Hardy, and I don't think it will be either. Despite this interesting experiment they have taken with the recent iteration, their history suggests they will go for someone with different attributes next time out. Hardy reminds me too much of Craig, both physically and in his style.
    -- -- --

Do some of these choices seem improbable now? Of course they do. None of these actors have had the privilege to play James Bond yet. If any of them actually get the chance, then we shall see what they are made of - we shall see if they can step up and inhabit this role, publicity and all. I believe it's premature to dismiss any of them outright without seeing them actually play the part because our perceptions and impressions can only give us some idea.

We all have our preferences, but in the end no Bond actor has disappointed. They've all had their moments. This is the most coveted role in the business and anyone worth his salt will go for broke if cast.

As I've written previously, those who like (or even love) the current actor are the ones who will probably be the most disappointed by his successor. It's obvious and it's understandable. Those who liked his predecessor more may prefer the new man, or they may not depending on the choice. Those who believe it's more than time for a change are likely to be ecstatic whoever the choice is.

As long as we all keep an open mind to everyone we are likely to avoid being upset by the eventual choice. As long as the producers invest in their new actor in the way that they invested in Craig and tailor the films to his strengths, it will be all good. They must deliver 100% commitment to whoever they end up selecting.

I'm sure we all want this franchise to endure and succeed, and therefore are optimistic about the future post-Craig. I know I certainly am. Bring it on.

There is some merit to this comment. I don't think Connery or Moore where ever the greatest thesps of their days, but the screen presence, and easy charisma they both carried make them far more watchable, to me at least, than say Oliver Reed or Richard Burton. Maybe not the best examples, but I am sure you get my meaning.
    And if someone, circa 1960, said Bond should have been played by, say, David Hemmings or David Niven. Would that someone have understood the character of Bond?

BTW, brilliant actos, these two :)
    Wasn't David Niven in fact one of the preferred choices of Fleming? I recall reading that somewhere. I believe Cary Grant was, and Richard Burton was apparently approached as well. All very different actors with different styles.
    Wasn't David Niven in fact one of the preferred choices of Fleming? I recall reading that somewhere. I believe Cary Grant was, and Richard Burton was apparently approached as well. All very different actors with different styles.

Fleming liked Niven to the point of referring to him in YOLT as the only gentleman in the business and a fine actor. That's all.

He said Cary Grant had the style and demeanour for it. But was americanised - being from origin a brit.

Richard Burton would have been great. A first Dalton, in a way.

Fleming liked Niven to the point of referring to him in YOLT as the only gentleman in the business and a fine actor. That's all.

He said Cary Grant had the style and demeanour for it. But was americanised - being from origin a brit.

Richard Burton would have been great. A first Dalton, in a way.
    Apparently Niven was rejected due to age. I read somewhere that Grant was actually offered it and turned it down, saying he could only do one due to age also, and Burton was also offered the part but didn't think it would take off or something.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/james-bond-spectre/rejected-casting-audition/

Moore, who was friends with both Niven and Grant, seemed to think so too.

--
    When asked about Fleming's interest in him for the role, Moore told Entertainment Weekly, "That's what they told me, at least. They also said I was Ian Fleming's first choice. But Ian Fleming didn't know me from shit. He wanted Cary Grant or David Niven." Moore has always been quite humble when speaking about his career, but even then, it seems pretty clear that he knew that Fleming was not looking toward a "no-name" when it came to casting Bond. He wanted a "star."
    --
    Yes, Grant didn’t want to do more than one, though. That was the deterrent, not age, I think, although that probably came up as well.

I think Niven was brilliant and a true gentleman. But didn’t suit the role.

Fleming may have toyed with the perspective of some friends and known actors at the time, and may have been infatuated with some, like in Moore’s case, but I’m glad they went with Connery. It was like with the aston, Fleming went on to incorporate some film stuff into his writting. Those really were the formative years.

Burton would have been brilliant, yet volatile to say the least.

What would Fleming say nowadays? I wonder.
    What would Fleming say nowadays? I wonder.
    We can never really know how he would feel about the changes to his character over the years, or the different actor portrayals that we've had. I suppose he would be happy that the character has endured as it has, with a global fanbase in excess of just those who've read and love his novels. To a degree, his name has endured on account of that and helped to provide for his descendants.
    He'd consider Dalton to have been the best and be bloody annoyed that he'd missed out on all those mountains of cash the Fleming Estate has been raking in for all those decades.
    Ah! Well done. You’re probably right!
    Richard Burton as Bond would have been…intense.

Brilliant though, right? Although if he had the chance to be a villain, he would rival Lee. Can you imagine him as a baddie?
    I agree on Burton. He would have been brilliant, although as @Univex wrote earlier, I'm glad we got Sean. Where Eagles Dare reminds me of a Bond film in many ways. Burton as Bond and Eastwood as Felix!

Brilliant though, right? Although if he had the chance to be a villain, he would rival Lee. Can you imagine him as a baddie?

Brilliant, and a one of a kind.
    As a villain, I don't really know which villain he'd be best suited for, but he would no doubt had the ability to deliver something like General Orlov in this clip, only three times as impassioned:

Brilliant, and a one of a kind.
    As a villain, I don't really know which villain he'd be best suited for, but he would no doubt had the ability to deliver something like General Orlov in this clip, only three times as impassioned:

Surely Burton was already too old by 62?
    5 years older than Connery.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Let's not persist in saddling him with american roles. He's british damn it.

How about Elba as Ronnie Valance?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I would take Cavill if it meant bringing back Campbell to direct. It was Campbell who wanted Cavill for CR in first place.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    I have a feeling that Henry Cavil will get the nod after Mr Craig finishes. Whŷ? Because EON have a bit of previous when it comes to re looking at actors for Bond who they have previously liked or considered.
    Back at the beginning Roger Moore was touted as a potential Bond, got it later of course. Dalton was considered in 1969, he himself apparently said no, feeling he was too young. Got the part later. We all know the carry on that Brosnan had after being cast for TLD, EON went back to him for Goldeneye.
    My point (if indeed I even have one) is that Cavill came 2nd to Craig for CR, Barbara Broccoli really liked him. He's still on her radar you just watch!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Henry Cavil will get the nod after Mr Craig finishes. Whŷ? Because EON have a bit of previous when it comes to re looking at actors for Bond who they have previously liked or considered.
    Back at the beginning Roger Moore was touted as a potential Bond, got it later of course. Dalton was considered in 1969, he himself apparently said no, feeling he was too young. Got the part later. We all know the carry on that Brosnan had after being cast for TLD, EON went back to him for Goldeneye.
    My point (if indeed I even have one) is that Cavill came 2nd to Craig for CR, Barbara Broccoli really liked him. He's still on her radar you just watch!

Thats true actually Moore, Dalton and Brosnan were all cnsidered years before. Connery, being the first couldn't have gotten the role any sooner, and Lazenby wasn't even an actor before Bond.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Cavill isn't suited for Bond. The man has exactly 0.0% charisma, a trait Bond must(!) have. At least Turner has wit and some mystery to him and not '2D' like Cavill in any way. It'd be a big mistake if Babs would favor Cavill over Turner, if the choice would be between them.