Your favorite Dame...and why?

echoecho 007 in New York
in Actors Posts: 5,921
Is Dame Judi the most important Dame of the realm? I think so. And is her elevated stature thanks to Bond? Discuss.

Comments

In the Bond franchise, for me, there's only one Dame : Dame Diana Rigg.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Unless I'm mistaken, there are only those two Dames in the Bond realm (too bad nobody ever thought of hiring Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith - or was unsuccessful). And whether one thinks seven appearances as M are more important than playing Bond's only wife whose death had an enormous influence on his character is another story. But either way, Judi Dench got her OBE in 1970 and her DBE in 1988, so she had her elevated stature at least seven years before ever being in a Bond movie. Actually, picking her for Brosnan's M was a bit of stunt casting, rather than her breakthrough.

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Honor Blackman turned down the CBE because she felt it would be hypocritical in light of her political stance (according to Wikipedia). She is pure class.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    @j_w_pepper, you're including out Dame Shirley Veronica Bassey, DBE. I thought she was one of your favorites.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Well yes, OK...I was only thinking about actresses (or is that actors these days?). But you're right, of course. Let's exclude her in, then :-)
    To the discussion topic, I'd say Dame Judi Dench is elevated by her association with Bond, yes. While recognizing she received the title in 1988 before her Bond association.

The most important Dame of the (Bond) realm? Dame Shirley Bassey is a contender with her three title songs plus her off-screen promotion of Bond over the years. Surely.
    Roger, Roger.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Roger is a woman?!
    (Check your Vector, Victor.)
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    (Check your Vector, Victor.)

We have clearance, Clarence.