Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The wedding ceremony is a lovely segment. And the mystery of the cave gas is great to. And the ascent to the volcano.

YOLT is a movie with great ambience.
    The wedding ceremony is a lovely segment. And the mystery of the cave gas is great to. And the ascent to the volcano.

YOLT is a movie with great ambience.

It draaaaags soooo much for me...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I actually watched it last night. I love the first half up until Aki's death, but from there on I always lose interest and last night was no exception. I'm afraid this is a Bond film which continues to decline in my estimation, despite its iconic sets and reputation.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    John Barry keeps me engaged throughout most of the film, but the lulls are evident. People often criticise TB for dragging a bit but YOLT commits bigger crimes in that field IMO.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,272
    I can definitely see how some might appreciate the wedding ceremony and the following scenes, as it's adding a bit of local culture to the film. To me though, it just drags too much, and messes with the pacing of the film. In the slower segments of TB there's the element of mystery or danger in place to carry the film forward – and as I wrote in my notes about TB above, it's sequences I love (like Shrublands for example).
    I can definitely see how some might appreciate the wedding ceremony and the following scenes, as it's adding a bit of local culture to the film. To me though, it just drags too much, and messes with the pacing of the film. In the slower segments of TB there's the element of mystery or danger in place to carry the film forward – and as I wrote in my notes about TB above, it's sequences I love (like Shrublands for example).

It is not proper local culture though. It is pure cliché!
    jobo wrote: »

It is not proper local culture though. It is pure cliché!

I'm not familiar with Japanese culture, so that might be true for all I know!
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 2,895
    On my most recent viewing of YOLT the wedding scene stood out for its sheer beauty, imeasurably helped by Barry's gorgeous music. If it's not proper local culture than it damn well should be. I rather like these contemplative moments of beauty sandwiched between big action scenes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Revelator wrote: »
    I rather like these contemplative moments of beauty sandwiched between big action scenes.

@Revelator
    So do I. And I honestly think SP has a few of those.
    Bond's journey to Blofeld's hideout in OHMSS is another beautiful example of that.
    Perhaps my favourite example is Bond and Melina's visit to the local Greek market place, taking their time to watch people dance, to eat some fruit, and then to go to that beautiful little monument. After Ferrara's death, it's a quiet but much deserved moment.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It really is a shame that the Mr. White scenes weren't saved for the film itself, would've made for a great reveal as that scene is of the (very) few highlights of the film for me. That footage was quite heavy in that initial teaser trailer.
    Made my first Bond film of 2019 my favorite one - CR. Awesome every time.
    The Man with the Golden Gun
    Treated myself to a rewatch of TMWTGG yesterday, and it didn't fail to entertain. Always had a soft spot for this one, as it was the first Bond film I watched. Roger – his charming self, carries this entry wonderfully from start to finish, with Christopher Lee and Maud Adams delivering good performances as well. Always found Maud Adams to be THE Bond girl of the Moore era, as they were such a good match in both this film and OP. The same can't be said of Britt Ekland unfortunately. It annoys me how her Swedish accent is so noticeable in certain places, and her performance is wooden at best. Still, there's a lot to like about this one for me. It always is.

Diamonds Are Forever
    Didn't want the fun to end with only watching TMWTGG, so I put on DAF late last night, finishing it this morning (morning viewings of Bond films will be repeated at some point!). Having a soft spot for TMWTGG, I absolutely LOVE DAF. It never stops surprising me how I almost seem to like this film even more with each viewing. Connery and Charles Gray are brilliant in their scenes together, there's brilliantly entertaining dialogue throughout, and the 120 minutes running time goes by so, so fast.

As a controversial opinion, I'm very likely to place DAF safely inside my top ten this time around. Bond films should be entertaining more than anything, and DAF never fails to deliver.

Updated ranking after these two films:

1. Thunderball
    2. Live and Let Die/Diamonds Are Forever*
    4. The Man with the Golden Gun
    5. You Only Live Twice

*I'm undecided which film I should rank the highest right now. Will most likely have to watch them again before deciding.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 7,500
    - "I'm very likely to place DAF safely inside my top ten this time around".

Shocking. Positively shocking.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    Great double bill @Torgeirtrap. TMWTGG is a perennial fave and DAF continues to improve for me with every viewing. When I was younger I used to think it was the definitive Bond/Blofeld film on account of the witty banter between Connery and Gray. That perception declined somewhat when I joined this forum due to the critical panning the film gets here, but to be frank I still have a whale of a time with it despite that.

I've got to try this sometime. I think LALD/TMWTGG would make for a superb double bill too.
    - "I'm very likely to place DAF safely inside my top ten this time around".

Shocking. Positively shocking.

Well, what can I say; I decide my rankings according to how entertained I am, and how likely I am to rewatch the film of choosing anytime soon. DAF have always been a go-to film for me, so I see no reason to keep it out of my top ten any longer (even how controversial that may be!). There are several Bond films I find much more difficult to pick out of the shelf and put on.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Great double bill @Torgeirtrap. TMWTGG is a perennial and DAF continues to improve for me with every viewing. When I was younger I used to think it was the definitive Bond/Blofeld film on account of the witty banter between Connery and Gray. That perception declined somewhat when I joined this forum due to the critical panning the film gets here, but to be frank I still have a whale of a time with it despite that.

I've got to try this sometime. I think LALD/TMWTGG would make for a superb double bill too.

I can't actually remember how much I liked DAF when I was younger. The fact that the film never bores me, and gets more entertaining the older I get, is quite interesting. It might also be a reaction to the current era – and particularly the latter films, that make me appreciate the lighthearted films even more.

Did the LALD/TMWTGG double bill some years ago. It was really fun!
    Great double bill @Torgeirtrap. TMWTGG is a perennial and DAF continues to improve for me with every viewing. When I was younger I used to think it was the definitive Bond/Blofeld film on account of the witty banter between Connery and Gray. That perception declined somewhat when I joined this forum due to the critical panning the film gets here, but to be frank I still have a whale of a time with it despite that.

I can't actually remember how much I liked DAF when I was younger. The fact that the film never bores me, and gets more entertaining the older I get, is quite interesting. It might also be a reaction to the current era – and particularly the latter films, that make me appreciate the lighthearted films even more.

Your review has made me want to check out DAF again sometime. It's one of the Bond films I've seen the least, and so I always find it entertaining. LALD is on my list first though (not sure if I'll get to double bill it with TMWTGG this time).

What I find very enticing about these later Hamilton films is the fantastical elements in them. They are almost whimsical in nature to a degree, despite not being overly elaborate like the Gilbert entries. They exist in a hyper stylized reality. It's in the characters and the humour. I'm noticing that more and more these days as I revisit them.

Your review has made me want to check out DAF again sometime. It's one of the Bond films I've seen the least, and so I always find it entertaining. LALD is on my list first though (not sure if I'll get to double bill it with TMWTGG this time).

What I find very enticing about these later Hamilton films is the fantastical elements in them. They are almost whimsical in nature to a degree, despite not being overly elaborate like the Gilbert entries. They exist in a hyper stylized reality. It's in the characters and the humour. I'm noticing that more and more these days as I revisit them.

LALD was a priority for me too when getting around to watching the Bond films again, along with TB. Continuing with TMWTGG and DAF was unintentional, but sort of makes sense, now that you mention it. They do have some fantastical and entertaining elements that perhaps make me enjoy them so much.

LALD was a priority for me too when getting around to watching the Bond films again, along with TB. Continuing with TMWTGG and DAF was unintentional, but sort of makes sense, now that you mention it. They do have some fantastical and entertaining elements that perhaps make me enjoy them so much.
    From my understanding, they were under some budget constraints at this time and the film landscape was changing (as it was in the early 80s). It's interesting how they took a different approach with these early 70s films in comparison with how the approached the 80s (in a more down to earth fashion). I suppose it was Tom Mankiewicz's influence here vs. Michael Wilson's later.

From my understanding, they were under some budget constraints at this time and the film landscape was changing (as it was in the early 80s). It's interesting how they took a different approach with these early 70s films in comparison with how the approached the 80s (in a more down to earth fashion). I suppose it was Tom Mankiewicz's influence here vs. Michael Wilson's later.

That's a good point, and one I've never thought about. It's also interesting how these films being fantastical and lighthearted is in contrast to how I see cinema of that period – when a lot of films were very dark and violent (like The French Connection, Get Carter, Dirty Harry etc.) Star Wars probably changed things a bit in the latter half of the decade, though.

That's a good point, and one I've never thought about. It's also interesting how these films being fantastical and lighthearted is in contrast to how I see cinema of that period – when a lot of films were very dark and violent (like The French Connection, Get Carter, Dirty Harry etc.) Star Wars probably changed things a bit in the latter half of the decade, though.
    Absolutely, and that distinction was something I noticed when I started watching 70's films. The Bond films of that time were doing the light natured larger than life thing (flying cars and what not) when big box office cinema appeared to be generally conspiracy filled, gritty, romantic (Love Story etc.) or horror focused. As you wrote, the late 70s changed everything (perhaps after Jaws, which transitioned from horror to blockbuster, but then certainly after SW). Bond took it up a notch as well with TSWLM and MR, but still kept it Bondian.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the voodoo aspects of LALD play into that horror thing too. It could explain why it was a monster hit, apart from introducing a new Bond.

Absolutely, and that distinction was something I noticed when I started watching 70's films. The Bond films of that time were doing the light natured larger than life thing (flying cars and what not) when big box office cinema appeared to be generally conspiracy filled, gritty, romantic (Love Story etc.) or horror focused. As you wrote, the late 70s changed everything (perhaps after Jaws, which transitioned from horror to blockbuster, but then certainly after SW). Bond took it up a notch as well with TSWLM and MR, but still kept it Bondian.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the voodoo aspects of LALD play into that horror thing too. It could explain why it was a monster hit, apart from introducing a new Bond.

Good point re. Jaws. Didn't think of that film!

The voodoo aspect could certainly have been a factor to LALD's popularity. It also separated it from the previous films, with it's supernatural elements – also tapping into blaxploitation area. TMWTGG had the martial arts element, so it's obvious that the Bond films of the early 70's (and later on) explored the genres that were popular at the time, while remaining inside the Bond formula. Quite clever actually!

The voodoo aspect could certainly have been a factor to LALD's popularity. It also separated it from the previous films, with it's supernatural elements – also tapping into blaxploitation area. TMWTGG had the martial arts element, so it's obvious that the Bond films of the early 70's (and later on) explored the genres that were popular at the time, while remaining inside the Bond formula. Quite clever actually!

Some say clever... others say tacky... ;)

Some say clever... others say tacky... ;)

Well, yeah, you could say that too! Don't bother me one bit though.
    I was in the mood for more Bond tonight, so I put on The Spy Who Loved Me – another film that never fail to entertain me. Roger Moore is at his best in this one, really getting comfortable in the role, and Curd Jürgens makes a stellar Blofeld clone as Karl Stromberg. TSWLM offers plenty of highlights – main ones being the ski/parachute sequence (that's equally impressive as it's hilarious), every scene featuring the Lotus Espirit, and the battle aboard the Liparus. Barbara Bach makes an interesting adversary/companion, but her performance is rather flat. That doesn't stop me for enjoying this spectacle of a film. Wonderfully 70's, and perfect for Moore's Bond.

TSWLM is another top ten film for me, ranking second on the list of Bond films I've seen so far this month:

1. Thunderball
    2.The Spy Who Loved Me
    3. Live and Let Die/Diamonds Are Forever
    5. The Man with the Golden Gun
    6. You Only Live Twice
    License to Kill I figured since my wife loves 80 movies maybe she will like Timothy Dalton as James Bond in Licence to Kill
    Risico007 wrote: »
    License to Kill I figured since my wife loves 80 movies maybe she will like Timothy Dalton as James Bond in Licence to Kill

If she doesn't, divorce her.
    Revelator wrote: »

If she doesn't, divorce her.

Or put her to sleep...
    She loved it so all is well in fact she isn’t sure if this or Casino Royale is her favorite film
    She loved it so all is well in fact she isn’t sure if this or Casino Royale is her favorite film

She has great taste!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    An old girlfriend just texted me to tell me that she’s watching GF for the first time. She asked where I rated it among Bond films.

That's why she's now an "ex" girlfriend.