The Award Winning : 'Bond...comments while you watch...'

Comments

Controversial opinion: Mr White looks better here than in SP.

Craig has the PPK. That alone makes me rank this one up another notch. I loathed the P99.
    The great Tanner.

I love he flow and pacing of this one.

Judi looks tough.

I repeat...........Craig looks good. Great clothes here. What happened?
    Mickey G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Camille remains my favorite Craig era Bond girl............alongside Monica Bellucci.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Camille remains my favorite Craig era Bond girl............alongside Monica Bellucci.

It's Olga after all! :x

Indeed.

The opera bit. Great music here as Bond drives up and the melody I tend to hum whenever I think of this film.

Great location I must say. Very Bondian locales in this film.
    Okay.......back in action again. Solid viewing of QoS. Although the plot may be a bit low key, I feel this one looks more epic overall than the other Craig films. Gassner's first outing as production designer was impressive, IMO....................which puts me in the mood for the master of all set designs..........Ken Adam.

Popping in

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

Here we go.............gunbarrel.......ROGER!!!!!!!!

The guitar melody played in F.

YEAH!

I love when Bonds open o a shot of impressive miniature work as I'm assuming this submarine is.
    Great shot.

Smithers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nudes on the wall.

You can see everything in the cinema.

OH MY GOD.

• edited January 2019 Posts: 17,272
    Need to watch TSWLM again soon! Maybe next weekend.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 15,801
    I miss General Gogol. Great character.

Ah, Anya. My fave Roger Bond girl...............alongside Solitaire, Octopussy, Holly, etc

Controversial opinion:

I'm glad Michael Billington only auditioned for Bond and never replaced Roger. Hard to fill Roger's slip on shoes at this point.

Sue Vanner was in the Louis Jourdan COUNT DRACULA.

The banana ski suit. YES!!!!!!!!!!! Bright red parachute back pack.
    YES!!!!
    Bond 77 is great.
    I love serial style cliffhanger Bond in peril scenes.

There goes Sergei. I never noticed the music pauses for a sec as Bond does that spin thing. Very cool.

...........and over the Asgard.

Silence.............................

Bond theme and parachute.

Great stuff

Stromberg is really a Blofeld clone in many respects. I think he's one of the great villains, honestly. Completely arrogant and played by a golden age of Hollywood classic actor.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @ToTheRight , Since you brought up the Blofeld/Stromberg similarity, check out this old discussion of mine.

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/13955/traces-of-what-could-have-been-in-the-spy-who-loved-me-1977/p1

I remember reading about that. Also interviews with Maibaum somewhere he discussed Spectre being overthrown and Blofeld kicked out. Interesting.

This film remains in my permanent top 5. I love every frame.

I'm at the scene with Jaws, Anya and Bond in the desert.

The van scene is pretty funny. Classic Roger.
    I love the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA bit. I remember in '89 the film was restored, and re-released theatrically. My Dad and I saw it at a Cinerama theater complete with the wide curved screen. Very impressive.
    Apparently this Bond film had played there when it opened as was amazing.
    I've seen this one in the cinema about 3 or 4 times. One had a pretty big screen and was a good print. I also saw it projected digitally once . Basically the DVD projected on the screen. Didn't look as good.
    I far prefer a 35mm print with the old UA Transamerica logo.
    Bond walks hundreds of miles to meet M and Moneypenny.

He has taken off his jacket. Where is his shoulder holster? Also shouldn't he have had one when in the desert with Anya?
    Did he keep his PPK in the inside pocket of his dinner jacket? Not very convenient or comfortable I'd think.
    I love the Jaws train fight.

As Bond lies down for a brief instant the knocked down lampshade looks like a roll of toilet paper on the wall by Bond's bed.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 15,801
    Bond meets Stromberg. 007 needs to brush up on his marine biology. Everyone in the world knows that's a Pterois Volitans.

He should know that the way any member on this forum would be able to identify a picture of Sean Connery from DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

Indeed.

The opera bit. Great music here as Bond drives up and the melody I tend to hum whenever I think of this film.

Agree with this. Need to watch QoS again too; it's close to going ahead of CR as my favourite of the Craig era.

Indeed.

Agree with this. Need to watch QoS again too; it's close to going ahead of CR as my favourite of the Craig era.

I enjoyed it today.
    I love mountain road car chases where people fall off cliffs.
    The Roger Nod.

Indeed.

I enjoyed it today.

It's a short Bond film as well. Easy to watch on a late evening.

Indeed.

I enjoyed it today.

It's a short Bond film as well. Easy to watch on a late evening.

Very true.

Ah the wonderful Valerie Leon. I should watch BLOOD FROM THE MUMMY'S TOMB again soon.
    Anya in the shower. The guy that stares at her gets killed by Lex Luthor in SUPERMAN THE MOVIE. Ray Hasset is his name.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Care to elaborate on what's controversial about a (mostly) healthy man looking better than the same man 7 years older and on his deathbed? Or do you mean to say he looks better in QOS than CR?
    Craig has the PPK. That alone makes me rank this one up another notch. I loathed the P99.
    Agreed, loved the return of the PPK. I liked the P99 though - it's always a nice change for Bond to handle another Walther. I would've preferred the P99 remain with Broz though, and make it unique to his era. When I think of the P99, I think of TND, and vice versa.
    Controversial opinion:

I'm glad Michael Billington only auditioned for Bond and never replaced Roger. Hard to fill Roger's slip on shoes at this point.
    TSWLM was the second Bond film I saw, just after FYEO, and I wasn't familiar with Roger Moore. I remember seeing Billington in bed with Anya and thinking he was Moore/Bond.
    I don't make a habit of collecting action figures, but recently bought the Hasbro Action Man 12 inch figure with Bond in the yellow suit and skis. Very cool and unique outfit.
    Anya in the shower. The guy that stares at her gets killed by Lex Luthor in SUPERMAN THE MOVIE. Ray Hasset is his name.
    Does he survive in TSWLM? I can't be certain, but on the last viewing I think I spotted him get shot in the stomach and fall into the water in the submarine pen... though it may have been someone else.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    QBranch wrote: »
    Controversial opinion:

TSWLM was the second Bond film I saw, just after FYEO, and I wasn't familiar with Roger Moore. I remember seeing Billington in bed with Anya and thinking he was Moore/Bond.
    I watched TSWLM (not our first time) with my father when younger and I remember him saying "oh no, not this chap" or something along those lines when Billington turned over. He mistakenly thought it was Lazzer! I remember telling him "No dad, Roger Moore is Bond in this one"
    Care to elaborate on what's controversial about a (mostly) healthy man looking better than the same man 7 years older and on his deathbed? Or do you mean to say he looks better in QOS than CR?
    Agreed, loved the return of the PPK. I liked the P99 though - it's always a nice change for Bond to handle another Walther. I would've preferred the P99 remain with Broz though, and make it unique to his era. When I think of the P99, I think of TND, and vice versa.
    Controversial opinion:

I don't make a habit of collecting action figures, but recently bought the Hasbro Action Man 12 inch figure with Bond in the yellow suit and skis. Very cool and unique outfit.
    Does he survive in TSWLM? I can't be certain, but on the last viewing I think I spotted him get shot in the stomach and fall into the water in the submarine pen... though it may have been someone else.

I was kidding a bit about Mr White looking better in QoS. Always thought he had a cool haircut in the first 2.

Not sure if Ray Hassett dies in TSWLM. I should have watched that closer.

Great viewing of SPY once again. Classic outing.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Amazing entry - Roger's best. A most impressive film, especially when you reflect on things like the Liparus/Atlantis being large scale miniatures.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Amazing entry - Roger's best. A most impressive film, especially when you reflect on things like the Liparus/Atlantis being large scale miniatures.
    Absolutely. I watched it on New Year's Day and it never ceases to amaze me on a technical level. Truly a 'film ahead' in this respect, including the Lotus.
    Damn, reading these comments really, really makes me want to watch TSWLM again. Will have to wait until next weekend unfortunately.

Edit: I just googled Michael Billington. Interestingly there seems to be another Michael Billington who had a role in the Jackie Chan/Pierce Brosnan film The Foreigner – directed by Martin Campbell!
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2249472/?ref_=nv_sr_2
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Skyfall is about to start on TV...might have to watch a little of it...