How did LALD became so " Classic" ?

MrBondMrBond Station S
edited April 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,044
I just wonder, how could LALD become so popular and so classic among many people.
From what i have seen not many put's it in their top 10 list, and it can't compare to the 60's movies either. Any idea why?

Comments

I think the soundtrack helps, but I agree - it's not one of my favourites. Rog didn't hit his stride until TSWLM.
    LALD is good but it really isn't all that great. I watched it recently as part of a double bill with GF. Guess the easy winner lol
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    The speedboat chase... Kananga, Tee Hee, Baron Samedi and all the colourful villains... the crocodile jump... Jane Seymour's gorgeous seer of a Bond Girl... Macca's bombastic title theme... the funk and 'Blaxpoitation'-esque thrills... the magnetic watch and train-bound final fisticuffs... the tarot cards and the unique JW Pepper... it's all there; it's simply all there. Plus, I believe LALD is - inflation adjusted - still the fifth most successful Bond flick at the box-office.

Quite frankly, by many fans - especially the casual and general film fans who appreciate the series - it's always been considered a classic... :)
  • RC7RC7
    @St_George well put mate. Very well put.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    RC7 wrote:
    @St_George well put mate. Very well put.

Danke sehr. :)

By the bye, the second part of this blog post gives yet more reasons why The 'Die's a cast-iron Bond classic... ;)

http://georgesjournal.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/007-50-birthday-bonding-2-rare-but-brilliant-images-of-blightys-finest-1970s/

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    How did LALD became so " Classic" ?

I'll let you know when it happens, so don't hold your breath. ;)
    The Villains (Dr. Kananga, Tee Hee, Baron Samedi, and Whisper primarily), the Soundtrack by George Martin, Roger's big debut, the whole voodoo theme (much like GF's gold theme), and Solitaire are the major reasons I could see as being classic.
    Live and Let Die is a classic for several reasons. First of all, it put an end to Sean’s on again, off again contract kerfuffle. The fact that Georges unique performance in OHMSS was followed up by Sean’s non-consecutive reprisal of the role in DAF when he was clearly too old left the Bond franchise in a chaotic state. By booking Roger for a long-term contract, Live and Let Die put a definitive end to the troubled transition. Also, while DAF was released in 1971, Sean still very much represented a Bond of the 60’s, and he seemed out of date in both age and character. Live and Let Die let Bond become new again, and fully embraced the 70’s with its plot texture, and it’s new Bond. As if wearing bellbottoms in the opening gun-barrel sequence didn’t say it clearly enough, Roger was going to be a hip, new Bond that was going to help define the 1970’s just as Sean had done for the 1960’s. In this way, it is a classic because it goes so overboard with the 70’s-ishness, and yet manages to stay true to the traditional plot of a Bond movie. Finally, I would say that it is the characters that help make it classic. Mr. Big and his organization offered African American’s a role in Bond films which they had never had before, and gave the film an opportunity to comment on the cultural importance of being black in New York in the 1970’s. This also left us with the iconic characters Tee Hee, and Baron Samedi, who would set a president for Bond villains going forward. Also, Jane Seymour’s portrayal of Solitaire created a truly iconic and original Bond girl which would inspire later Bond girls to be interesting and different, just like she was.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 774
    Mr. Big and his organization offered African American’s a role in Bond films which they had never had before, and gave the film an opportunity to comment on the cultural importance of being black in New York in the 1970’s.

It could be argued that the role wasn't exactly a good one. Showed them all as criminals, pawns in Mr Big's game. It was a very stereotypical portrayal.

Though I agree with everything else you said; LALD was a new Bond, a fresh start almost. And Solitaire is my third favourite Bond Girl.
    Mr. Big and his organization offered African American’s a role in Bond films which they had never had before, and gave the film an opportunity to comment on the cultural importance of being black in New York in the 1970’s.

Hilarious. Are you being sarcastic? I hope so!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople

Yeah, it was called blaxploitation.
    How dare people try to berate my favorite Bond release :O

Here's why LALD deserves respect and recognition-

#1 It has the lovely Jane Seymour

#2 Mr Big was one of the most fearsome and intimidating Bond villains ever, Kananga was OK, but simply lost the menace

#3 Paul McCartney and Wings music, simply outstanding, one of the best ever

#4 JW Pepper, being serious, I always liked to see him

#5 Fun PTS in New York, New Orleans and San Monique

#6 Roger Moore looked the part and did very well

#7 The scarecrows were very.. scary

#8 The tarot cards were always interesting to see

#9 It has a decent fight on the train at the end, much better than Spy in '77

#10 Such exotic locations

#11 It's not really a kids film, more for mature teenagers and adults

#12 Great sequence at the croc farm, stepping stones and all

#13 Such an interesting array of colorful characters

#14 The boat chase through the Louisiana Bayous

#15 Despite the overall tension in the air there is genuine humor to be had and some fine action bits and lots to get involved in
  • I posted about this a while ago, I think that the soundtrack made what was a decent film into a great film. I can't picture it working out as well without it. Still a great film nonetheless. I can watch it at any time, don't hate it don't love it.
    Soundtracks can sometimes be irrelevant on an overall opinion of a Bond release, but here McCartney and Wings certainly did no harm with the music, it's true to say without it, it maybe would of lost a gold star or two, but still an excellent Bond film

The Spy Who Loved Me is also a very good outing, but I can't stand the Simon soundtrack

YOLT, is a poor Bond release, but Nancy Sinatra is the star of the show there

Sheryl Crow does an outstanding song for TND, even though the overall film is terrible

Rita Coolidge does a great tune for Octopussy, not really a fan of the movie though

Tina Turner wasn't best choice for Goldeneye, but the film more than componsates for it

Just making some examples here

• Soundtracks can sometimes be irrelevant on an overall opinion of a Bond release, but here McCartney and Wings certainly did no harm with the music, it's true to say without it, it maybe would of lost a gold star or two, but still an excellent Bond film

The Spy Who Loved Me is also a very good outing, but I can't stand the Simon soundtrack

YOLT, is a poor Bond release, but Nancy Sinatra is the star of the show there

Sheryl Crow does an outstanding song for TND, even though the overall film is terrible

Rita Coolidge does a great tune for Octopussy, not really a fan of the movie though

Tina Turner wasn't best choice for Goldeneye, but the film more than componsates for it

Just making some examples here

My main point is about LALD specifically because each film is different of course. Everything about the music is perfect in this film from the main theme to the quick paced music during scenes like the boat chase. It improved the film in my opinion.
    Absolutely, the music gives the film a major advantage over it's competitors and challengers but as said, it's not always about the tunes, but in 1973 they gave us a quite superb song for it, and the title designs fit in perfectly, as soon as the agent is bitten by the snake in San Monique and the credits appear, you always know you're in for a treat..

The Bayou chase too in the swamps also has effective and great music also

Also when Carver and Moore are in the poppy fields and the scarecrows appear, 'make your choice' etc, the music is really good and appropriate

Even at the end with Bond and Kananga in the shark pool, it never lets you down, even if the actual fight sequence does..
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I find LALD gets a bit lazy at times like the Mrs Bell scene and bus chase (although the former is quite fun), and the script is lacking.

JW Pepper is less funny than he used to be (maybe the latest 2 releases has influenced that, or I'm getting too old for it)
    Its a classic not necessarily because its a bond movie! Firstly don't get me wrong there are better bond films though LALD will always stand out for me as its the first bond film i watched, also i love blacksploitation movie's, love george martin's soundtrack. Moore i am a huge fan off as debuts go his is pretty good, previous to watching bond i watched The Persuaders and The saint, loved those show's because of moore. Jane Seymour is gorgeous, crocodile sequence and The boat chase is excellent. Kotto is a good villain IMO, with good henchman. Rosie is pretty lame, though it kinda work's and also think the end could have been better. Throughout my teenage years it was always in my top three that was upto and including the release of LTK.
    It was the first Bond movie to have a profanity such as 'shit' in the franchise, something in hindsight that was very surprising back at the time of release, the same word is merely hinted at a year later, and again in Daylights, it wouldn't be until 1989 that it would be heard aloud again, but in 1973, and for an early(ish) Bond release, still a surprise, they also had 'was this the stupid mother who tailed you uptown', it all was in retrospect, a bit of a surprise maybe
  • It was my first Bond film that I really watched over and over again, I'm sure we all have a film whether it be Bond or not that we love to watch many times after first seeing it. Definitely have a soft spot for it. I still stand by the argument that the soundtrack greatly improved the film though.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 6,432
    It was my first Bond film that I really watched over and over again, I'm sure we all have a film whether it be Bond or not that we love to watch many times after first seeing it. Definitely have a soft spot for it. I still stand by the argument that the soundtrack greatly improved the film though.

Soundtrack did elevate it, though i think with certain types of movie where the soundtrack plays a big part, for example films like Empire Strike's Back, Alien, Bond, Raiders of the lost Ark, Jaws etc i think the soundtrack make's 50 per cent of the movie. ( I realise i have picked very good films with very good soundtrack's)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    St_George wrote:
    Jane Seymour's gorgeous seer of a Bond Girl...

This.

And Madeleine Smith. Let's not forget Hammer's proudest pair of b... - uh - earlobes.

:-\"
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    It was the first Bond movie to have a profanity such as 'shit' in the franchise

I never even heard Mrs Bell say 'shit' until about 2 years ago. It is always removed in every print on telly in England.

Reading the comments here I'm starting to think that LALD is probably the best of the non Barry soundtracks. TND runs it quite close - especially is you put Surrender at the start and relegate Sheryl to the end credits.

I dont think LALD is particularly regarded as classic with the fans (I think most on here would rate it somewhere in the middle) but overall with the general public it is because of iconic moments. The voodoo opening titles with Mcartneys song, the double decker bus, the crocodiles, Baron Samedi, the boat chase - these are all moments that stick in the memory from boxing day in the 80s.

If you look at the most well known films with the public its all about iconic moments.

DN - Sean lighting up, DN
    GF - DB5, Oddjob, Jill
    YOLT - Volcano, classic Blofeld
    LALD - see above
    TSWLM - Ski jump, Jaws, Lotus
    GE - Bungy, Pierces first, Xenia, tank chase
    CR - Daniels first, free running, poker game (although mostly its because its fresh in the memory. Thats said I think QOS has largely already been forgotten by the public at large)
    I guess it's not a classic to everyone but it's always been a favrouite of mine, it has a different feel to it than a lot of the Bond films, the whole vodoo element adds a different dimension and Rog nails the part immedialtey in my opinnion.
    The film has a good selection of villians and henchman, a great Bond girl, some cracking action set pieces and brilliant one liners, what's no to like?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited April 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Why is LALD a classic? Two words: Paul McCartney :)
    It was the first Bond movie to have a profanity such as 'shit' in the franchise

I never even heard Mrs Bell say 'shit' until about 2 years ago. It is always removed in every print on telly in England.

One thing I always wondered is how Mrs Bell ended up in intensive care. She was shocked at Bond's antics at the airfield but seemed fine. Maybe she had a heart attack afterwards in which case thats hilarious ;)

For me it is special as it was the first 007 movie i ever saw! Completely got me hooked on James Bond ever since!
    I'm not sure I'd rank LALD as a "classic" Bond film in the way that I would assign that title to the films that comprise my top 6 (LTK, TLD, QOS, CR, FRWL, DN), but I'd definitely rank LALD near the top of the second tier of Bond films.

I've always quite enjoyed the film. The way that the film hints at supernatural elements gives it something that none of the other films in the franchise has, and the fact that they didn't go completely overboard with those elements (which they probably would have had the film been made in the current Hollywood climate) is an additional plus. I thought that Roger Moore did a solid job in his first outing as Bond. Not a spectacular performance, but I'd rate him pretty solidly here nonetheless. The film also has Jane Seymour, who is easily a top 5 Bond girl, so that helps the film as well.
  • Because it is a classic! =))
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    For me it is special as it was the first 007 movie i ever saw! Completely got me hooked on James Bond ever since!

It was the first that had a massive impact on me. Can't remember the very first however, probably Goldfinger.