Film podcasts

13»

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Murdock wrote: »
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, I suggest you listen to there OHMSS and CR67 podcasts first, they are great and Maurice Lamarche brings out his classic Orson Wells impression for both. I laughed a lot. :D

I will for sure I tend to listen to my podcasts when pottering at home, I am off work for a few days after I finish work, I'll get the Spotify app put on my laptop. its good to see a good variety of shows to listen to, I listen to podcasts as much as I stream TV and Movies, it's great there is still an audience for the air waves so to speak.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I like diminishing returns. They do all kinds of films, sometimes bond films
    I like diminishing returns. They do all kinds of films, sometimes bond films

Not come across them ill have a look on iTunes.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited August 2019 Posts: 2,721
    So Chris is leaving James Bond Radio. And the future of the podcast is in doubt. I'm genuinely surprised. Those two chaps are indefatigable when it comes to their Bond love. If I'm honest I'd have thought Tom would have been the one to pack it in before Chris.

I know that some on this forum aren't fans but I was a huge fan. Their positivity and enthusiasm for Bond was infectious. Their guests were amazing - who could forget Sir Roger Moore or Peter Lamont interviews? Dan Gale's contributions were so entertaining and while John Williams did a sterling job it was Warren Ringham's early podcast episodes on the music of Bond that was next level (his epic breakdown of the true authorship of 'The James Bond Theme' was impressive).

Salute to the JBR family and especially to Chris and Tom. Hope the best for them both and would love to see Tom continue on with the podcast in some form or another.
    They could carry on with Tom, John and Dan pitching in, but they might not feel like it without Chris. Most other podcasts fizzle out when they have reviewed all the movies - they end up scratching around for material. This one always had access to celebrity interviews and analysis. Professional. Shame they stopped before getting to the end of the movie reviews, or even the DAD review.
    vzok wrote: »
    They could carry on with Tom, John and Dan pitching in, but they might not feel like it without Chris. Most other podcasts fizzle out when they have reviewed all the movies - they end up scratching around for material. This one always had access to celebrity interviews and analysis. Professional. Shame they stopped before getting to the end of the movie reviews, or even the DAD review.

It would have been fun to hear Tom's review of DAD (I have a sneaking suspicion he would have enjoyed it slightly more than he expected!)

I was surprised that with No Time To Die starting up was the time for JBR to die...I'm assuming they'll keep the Facebook page going and maybe Jack Lugo will keep the blog work up. However I think it'll be tough to keep up the podcast without Chris's energy.

Maybe Tom could join with Hayden from Podcasters Royale? He's stopped his Bond podcast which I enjoyed as well!
    Sad news I have watched and listened to JBR content for a long time. I recently checked my subscription as there had not been much content, I thought I may have unsubscribed by accident, then saw the short video on YouTube
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I'm gutted about it, but had a vibe when they announced the break... The breaks had become pretty frequent, and there were more and more outsourced episodes.

I even found their last review (TND) rather more negative than one would expect from JBR.

I hope Tom continues with Calvin, Dan Gale, or someone else up to it.
    I'm pretty bummed about JBR. I'd love for it to continue regardless. I imagine it must be difficult to produce podcasts every week or two, but I really enjoyed their humor and positive energy.
    Pity as I was looking forward to the reviews focusing on the remainder of the Brosnan era as well as the Craig films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I was a real downer to get a JBR notification, only for it to be this news. Not sure what i'd want for the podcast going forward. It wont be the same without Chris. I suppose Dan Gale would be the obvious choice to step up the plate.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Really only found out about them a few months ago. I’ve been listening to their reviews parallel with my own first Bondathon on Blu-ray. In between they’ve got so many great stuff too, with Sir Rog, John Glen and lesser known but very interesting people like the grandson of Tim Moxon (Strangways). Gutted to see them go. I was looking forward to their DAD review, but also hoped for 30 days of NTTD. Great boxing day quizzes as well.

PS. You were saying some people weren’t all that fond of their show, @Major_Boothroyd, what were the criticisms? Personally, I loved their podcasts.
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 4,023
    There are other podcasts where they have done 2 laps of reviews of the movies and they are still going with commentaries etc.

With JBR they spaced the movie reviews out so much that now they won’t finish them. I wish if they had known that they were coming to the end, that they would have recorded the remaining reviews instead of some of the interviews.
    @GoldenGun - I think some posters didn't care for what might appear like a lack of criticism. Especially with 'drinking the Kool Aid' when it came to Spectre's release. But similarly even though I was slightly disappointed with Spectre I was more positive toward it on first release than I am now.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think anyone disliked JBR. Just they weren't everyone's cup of tea. That's going to happen with any large fan base. Funnily enough, I don't recall any listener interviewed ever shouting out this Mi6 community on that podcast?

I loved the podcast and have been listening since the beginning. As Bond fans, we were really spoilt by Chris and Tom!

@vzok - I don't think they knew they were going to pack it in. They had gone away before and came back with a bang. Chris probably thought he would come back and then instead of being reinvigorated he probably felt daunted by the ramping up of work for No Time To Die. That 30 days of Spectre was a Herculean effort. That was the height of their productivity and they'd probably have to do something along those lines. It's the timing of NTDD just being around the corner which is curious. If it was any time in the last three years it would have been less of a surprise.
    @GoldenGun - I think some posters didn't care for what might appear like a lack of criticism. Especially with 'drinking the Kool Aid' when it came to Spectre's release. But similarly even though I was slightly disappointed with Spectre I was more positive toward it on first release than I am now.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think anyone disliked JBR. Just they weren't everyone's cup of tea. That's going to happen with any large fan base. Funnily enough, I don't recall any listener interviewed ever shouting out this Mi6 community on that podcast?

I loved the podcast and have been listening since the beginning. As Bond fans, we were really spoilt by Chris and Tom!

Well, that’s really what it’s all about, we’ve been truly spoilt by them. A lack of criticism, perhaps, but on the other hand they had some very strong dislikes too: the entirety of DAD, the music of GE, the winking fish at the end of LTK, ... .

My attitude towards these things is that you can have different opinions, but as long as the core interest is the same you’ll enjoy each other’s thoughts regardless.

For instance, I can’t understand, as a Fleming fan, how you can put Tim last in your Bond rankings and I’m also a big fan of Eric Serra and his GE score which they both hated. Nevertheless, I still enjoy their podcasts because there is so much else on which I did agree with them.
    To make Bond sleep-inducing, one must be an incredible bore :))
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    My public service message of the week! 😂
    God news for anyone who has previously listened. James Bond Radio is back.
    Tom and new presenters put a new show out last Friday, I for one are very happy to have them back. Always good to have a Bond podcast to listen to on the daily commute.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    My public service message of the week! 😂
    God news for anyone who has previously listened. James Bond Radio is back.
    Tom and new presenters put a new show out last Friday, I for one are very happy to have them back. Always good to have a Bond podcast to listen to on the daily commute.

I noticed JBR did a NTTD: Roundtable Discussion the other day its on YouTube, not had chance to watch it yet...

• cwl007cwl007 England
    I do know where you are coming from on that actually. I find the chap who does the music of Bond episodes hard work. I do enjoy Dan Gale's contribution however and according to Tom he will become a regular presenter.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    I do know where you are coming from on that actually. I find the chap who does the music of Bond episodes hard work. I do enjoy Dan Gale's contribution however and according to Tom he will become a regular presenter.

Dan Gale's work is phenomenal - however, I suspect he enjoys building up to impressive work like the magical 'You Only Live Splice' piece. That must take time, imagination and a lot of work, so I do wonder whether he'll enjoy pumping out episode after episode. We shall see. I wish Warren Ringham would return for the Music of Bond episodes. I thought his work on The Bond Theme was one of the strongest JBR episodes ever.

I think I'll have to be judicious about which episodes I listen to. I'm successfully avoiding anything about NTTD other than title and movie poster - I may watch the teaser trailer but that will be it until April for me. I listened to the first twenty minutes of the podcast just to hear the vibe. I think they'll warm into it. Brian Dobson was quite good on another Bond podcast I listened to so I'm curious to see how he goes. Above all I'm glad Tom is back and suspect Chris will be eventually.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Yes the Warren Ringham episode on the James Bond theme was a terrific listen. The old Barry vs Norman debate etc, very good. I would strongly recommend anyone who hasn't heard it to seek out that one episode.
    edited November 2020 Posts: 23,102
    Discussion on the versions of Superman II