Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2018 Posts: 7,967
    I have no problem with Craig, or the unconventional route they have taken. Just think it has run its course now. SP showed the baggage - not just a bad film, but a tired one.

They need to go completely back to the drawing board, back to basics. Wipe all thoughts of what we know from memory, and just focus on how this series cam fit into the modern era. Not the man, the franchise. I think it's only a matter of time before they have to embrace the more larger than life, and irreverent aspects again. There's only so long we can sidestep that stuff, before it becomes the elephant in the room. I think with SF and SP they have attempted to address it, but it's a bit like Brosnan trying the serious characterization in TWINE and DAD. It just does not suit the actor. And nor does the suave side of Bond suit Craig, really. We need the swagger side of Bond back, and done right this time without being tied down by emotional drama.
    Craig's Bond needs urgency and momentum. He's the blunt instrument Bond
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,241
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Craig lacks charisma imho. He has some presence and does a decent job but as his flops elsewhere demonstrate he is not really the star he is made out to be.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Brosnan had the potential but never lived up to it IMO. Would have been interesting to see how he'd have handled a more serious toned film. He needed better direction and should have erred towards a slightly harder and less humorous take. Then when he did the lighter stuff it would have had more impact. Roger of course did it miles better.

Craig leaves me a bit cold if I'm totally honest. He's solid but has never blown me away as Bond. Still he has been a step in the right direction. I hope they don't go back to total fantasy nonsense for his replacement.

Agree re. Brosnan. He's been decent in more serious non-Bond roles, so it would definitely have been interesting to see him in a more serious Bond film – like FYEO was to Moore (certain scenes aside, of course!).

Craig leaves me a bit cold too. There's something missing there, IMO.

I agree on Craig too. I don't know wether it's his look, voice or 'the cut of his jib' but I just haven't been able to take to him. Good actor, but my least favourite Bond.

Going back to the original question, given that films in general seem to be trending toward a slightly lighter approach, I assume Bond will step back in to this, as it was pre Craig.

I nice, standalone mission with a good old fashioned Megalomaniac villain would go down a treat with me. I understand that may not be to everyone's taste after having a decade and a bit of the Craig version.

That sums it up really. He's too "unconventional" to win me over. Had he been more traditional looking (taller etc.) he would have one less things that works against him, IMO. As @bondjames writes in the comment above, we need an actor that's taller, suaver, and smoother – without looking like a caricature.

That being said, having an "unconventional" Bond was probably right for this era, but the era itself has been handled so very, very wrong.

I agree. I felt thrilled when Craig was cast that after Pierce Eon was going in a different direction. It started out promisingly with CR, but damn if this isn't my least favorite era in the franchise. Oddly I do tend to rank the Pierce films a bit lower, but overall I prefer the Bondian vibe of the Brosnan years. ,,,,,,and the 2 year gaps .

Definitely agree, As far as vibe goes, I'd take the Brosnan films over the Craig films too.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Craig lacks charisma imho. He has some presence and does a decent job but as his flops elsewhere demonstrate he is not really the star he is made out to be.
    Brosnan had the potential but never lived up to it IMO. Would have been interesting to see how he'd have handled a more serious toned film. He needed better direction and should have erred towards a slightly harder and less humorous take. Then when he did the lighter stuff it would have had more impact. Roger of course did it miles better.

Craig leaves me a bit cold if I'm totally honest. He's solid but has never blown me away as Bond. Still he has been a step in the right direction. I hope they don't go back to total fantasy nonsense for his replacement.

Agree re. Brosnan. He's been decent in more serious non-Bond roles, so it would definitely have been interesting to see him in a more serious Bond film – like FYEO was to Moore (certain scenes aside, of course!).

Craig leaves me a bit cold too. There's something missing there, IMO.

I agree on Craig too. I don't know wether it's his look, voice or 'the cut of his jib' but I just haven't been able to take to him. Good actor, but my least favourite Bond.

Going back to the original question, given that films in general seem to be trending toward a slightly lighter approach, I assume Bond will step back in to this, as it was pre Craig.

I nice, standalone mission with a good old fashioned Megalomaniac villain would go down a treat with me. I understand that may not be to everyone's taste after having a decade and a bit of the Craig version.

That sums it up really. He's too "unconventional" to win me over. Had he been more traditional looking (taller etc.) he would have one less things that works against him, IMO. As @bondjames writes in the comment above, we need an actor that's taller, suaver, and smoother – without looking like a caricature.

That being said, having an "unconventional" Bond was probably right for this era, but the era itself has been handled so very, very wrong.

I agree. I felt thrilled when Craig was cast that after Pierce Eon was going in a different direction. It started out promisingly with CR, but damn if this isn't my least favorite era in the franchise. Oddly I do tend to rank the Pierce films a bit lower, but overall I prefer the Bondian vibe of the Brosnan years. ,,,,,,and the 2 year gaps .

Definitely agree, As far as vibe goes, I'd take the Brosnan films over the Craig films too.

Agreed.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't mind Craig as an actor, but I'm pretty much done with his Bond. It's all the baggage around it that has become a bit overwhelming and burdensome for me and which I can't erase. Those hanging photos at the end of SP sum it up perfectly. They went out of their way to wrap it all up together in a bow and hit me over the head with it. What can I say, they did too good of a job.

In terms of the future I'm looking for a taller, suaver, smoother actor, but not a caricature. Someone who cannot easily be duplicated by competitors. Someone with an edge, but with more polish than Craig. Someone who I can look at on the screen and just feel that he just belongs in those suits and in that environment without having to be told as much. In other words, someone who's comfortable with the traditional icon elements of the role and who doesn't look like he's acting it.

I'd prefer a decent actor who can subtly convey emotion without overdoing it. I think Rog and Sean were the best at this. Craig's not bad too.

I also want decent espionage driven plots and just a bit of Le Carre (although I'm certainly not asking for that in entirety). So basically more FRWL style.

I doubt we'll get that, but it's what I'd like.

Chris Hemsworth
    I don't mind Craig as an actor, but I'm pretty much done with his Bond. It's all the baggage around it that has become a bit overwhelming and burdensome for me and which I can't erase. Those hanging photos at the end of SP sum it up perfectly. They went out of their way to wrap it all up together in a bow and hit me over the head with it. What can I say, they did too good of a job.

In terms of the future I'm looking for a taller, suaver, smoother actor, but not a caricature. Someone who cannot easily be duplicated by competitors. Someone with an edge, but with more polish than Craig. Someone who I can look at on the screen and just feel that he just belongs in those suits and in that environment without having to be told as much. In other words, someone who's comfortable with the traditional icon elements of the role and who doesn't look like he's acting it.

I'd prefer a decent actor who can subtly convey emotion without overdoing it. I think Rog and Sean were the best at this. Craig's not bad too.

I also want decent espionage driven plots and just a bit of Le Carre (although I'm certainly not asking for that in entirety). So basically more FRWL style.

Chris Hemsworth

I like Chris for Bond to be honest
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883

Chris Hemsworth
    In my opinion Hemsworth is very good with the lighter stuff, but I personally think he overacts during the dramatic moments. This was apparent to me even in the most recent Infinity War. As he was trying to show emotion over Loki's death even the Raccoon did a better job of conveying discomfort imho. Only when he turned on the 'fun' did he really come alive. So he's sort of a 180 from Craig. I also think he gives off a bit of a surfer dude vibe. I wouldn't be averse to him mind you, but I think he lacks acting gravitas.
    Chris Hemsworth is too "beach dude" for me. Still looks too much like his Home and Away part to be a candidate for Bond, IMO. Rather have Cavill; he at least look the part – and very much so.
    I want Cavill as Bond about as much as I want a slap in the face with a wet fish.

If anyone has a better suggestion than Hemsworth I am happy to hear it. He's the perfect age pretty much to take over.
    Turner.
    Bond should be modern imo. That means one part of the head shaved, with blue streaks on the rest of it, massive tattoos running up to the ear, massive plates on ear lobes, nose rings, etc.
    Bond should be modern imo. That means one part of the head shaved, with blue streaks on the rest of it, massive tattoos running up to the ear, massive plates on ear lobes, nose rings, etc.

giphy.gif
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I would take Cavill over Hemsworth.

He is quite a watchable guy, but hasn't got a Bond vibe about him at all.
    Hemsworth could step up to the plate and has charisma to burn - Not so cavill
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,682
    I think Jim Carrey could do it.

...in Ian Fleming's Alrighty Then!
    I can't believe there are people who still criticise Craig as Bond. Best Bond ever imo. But each actor has brought something different to the role. Also George Lazenby who isn't a proper actor.
    Craig is not the best Bond actor ever and in 10 years virtually no one will be saying that.

He will however be considered a very good Bond. But Connery and I think Moore will continue to dominate the rankings.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 1,092
    Sure, they've had some bumps in the road but I see what they have been going for with Craig's Bond. The formula had gotten lame, weak, and tired by DAD. They needed to wipe the slate clean. Of course, purists like many of you (no offense intended (=), cried bloody murder and thus EON trickled back in many of the missing classic elements of the franchise.

That's fine. I get it. I missed Q, the flirting with MP, the mission briefing, all that stuff. But we need to look at this as a longer-termed game. It's a 60 year franchise almost. If they go right back to Bond formula again after Craig leaves, what was the point in the first place to strip it all down and reset?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Chris Hemsworth is too "beach dude" for me. Still looks too much like his Home and Away part to be a candidate for Bond, IMO. Rather have Cavill; he at least look the part – and very much so.

Eh? Hemsworth looks nothing like how he did in HaA. I think the guy is a great candidate for the role of Bond. Good height, can manipulate his physique accordingly quite easily, is a good actor and has a natural charisma to bring on both the levity and for when Bond needs to get down to business. He also knows how to properly and look great in a suit and most importantly he's entertaining.
    I agree
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Tom Hiddleston or Dan Stevens for me. I'd love a return to a very Bondian Bond. I'd like to see new screenwriters that brought an appropriate amount of levity to the franchise. Either of those actors have that glint in their eye. You could never picture Craig saying any Moore type lines.
    Hidldes and Stevens are both plausible but perhaps lack the entertainment and swagger factor
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    The Night Manager and The Guest showed me either are just fine.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Eh? Hemsworth looks nothing like how he did in HaA. I think the guy is a great candidate for the role of Bond. Good height, can manipulate his physique accordingly quite easily, is a good actor and has a natural charisma to bring on both the levity and for when Bond needs to get down to business. He also knows how to properly and look great in a suit and most importantly he's entertaining.

Well, I can only see HaA with him, which mean I will probably never find him a good fit. As mentioned, I still think he looks like a "beach dude", only with a haircut.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Well, I can only see HaA with him, which mean I will probably never find him a good fit. As mentioned, I still think he looks like a "beach dude", only with a haircut.

Yep. Put him in Baywatch, not Bond.
    Deep down I don't really want a new Bond who is better known for playing a famous superhero character. Maybe I could accept, Cavill, though?
    Turner is probably my top choice if we were to in fact get another Bond film in the not too distant future post Craig. Just shave that damned beard and give him his AND THEN THERE WERE NONE haircut.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He looks like an accident.

Yep. Put him in Baywatch, not Bond.

Good point!
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    edited January 2019 Posts: 984
    When Craig's era began, it was a necessary departure that also fitted the cinematic trend of grittier realism.

That trend has finished now. The bigger money takers recently have all skewed towards a lighter approach. Simply go back to a mid to late Connery/Moore type affair. That style worked for decade's. It will work again.

Wasn't it a highly overrated recent Bond film that said "Sometimes the old ways are the best?"
    When Craig's era began, it was a necessary departure that also fitted the cinematic trend of grittier realism.

That trend has finished now. The bigger money takers recently have all skewed towards a lighter approach. Simply go back to a mid to late Connery/Moore type affair. That style worked for decade's. It will work again.

Wasn't it a highly overrated recent Bond film that said "Sometimes the old ways are the best?"

That's part of whats so frustrating with EON's current woes. They are so easily fixed.