What's Missing in Craig's Era That Should be Addressed in Bond 25?

For me, it's a big battle scene with other MI6 agents. Since they added him going up against a brawny, hardcore henchman a la Grant in FRWL in the form of Mr. Hinx in SP (something I was dying to see with Craig's Bond), this is a glaring miss thus far for Craig's era. They've done some great large-scale battles in many others like the great one in FYEO with Moore, the snow summit raid with OHMSS, the underwater scene in TB, etc.

Sure, there's that bit in SF in the courtroom that kinda counts but I want Bond leading a mission/raid with other British or international agents into an enemy fortification.

Anything else?

Comments

A gunbarrel sequence that is not screwed up in some way.
    A stand-alone,non personal mission .
    Agreed about the big battle. If this is Craig's last, it'll be even more appropriate. A big climax to bring his era to a close. Give us YOLT-scale spectacle again.

I suspect this time around they'll just reuse Spectre's gunbarrel. And the odds of Fukunaga wanting to "pull a Mendes" and add text after it are quite low. The gunbarrel might not open up directly into the rest of the film (I'd prefer it did, but it might just fade out like in Spectre) but it'll still likely be the most traditional one in a long time. Problem is they're a bit too short now and it's harder to make the usual Bond theme arrangement fit (for DAD they had to cut two bars). But otherwise I think it'll be refreshingly straightforward.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 13,879
    Agreed, regarding the end battle. And a decent underwater sequence - something like what we see in FYEO would be perfect. And a henchwoman. And lasers...

Well, technically, he had the laser mic, but I mean the cutting type.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Very well stated @The_Reaper a full scale war kind of thing I like that , Don't forget YOLT and TSWLM , it would be very exciting to see bond's experience in leading a large group of people and CF has the potential to execute something like that.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,241
    The big battle scene is obviously missing. The helicopter finale of SP felt more like a bad afterthought than the tense, action pack climax we were waiting for. Even more so given that this was supposed to be the grand return of Blofeld. I'm surprised they even went with it in the end, much like most of the film in general, which I find shockingly bad.

As mentioned by the comments above, a nice underwater scene/fight would be great at this point. A proper ski sequence too. More than anything though, a stand-alone, non personal mission (as @barryt007 wrote). With the recent developments, it looks like that won't be happening in the Craig era unfortunately.
    The big battle scene is obviously missing. The helicopter finale of SP felt more like a bad afterthought than the tense, action pack climax we were waiting for. Even more so given that this was supposed to be the grand return of Blofeld. I'm surprised they even went with it in the end, much like most of the film in general, which I find shockingly bad.

As mentioned by the comments above, a nice underwater scene/fight would be great at this point. A proper ski sequence too. More than anything though, a stand-alone, non personal mission (as @barryt007 wrote). With the recent developments, it looks like that won't be happening in the Craig era unfortunately.

It was in a way,as they had the stage of the bridge ready and they weren't going to use it,so they stuck it in not really out of choice.
    The result shows the 'rushed afterthought'.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    What was originally supposed to happen on the bridge?
    IMHO , tonal consistency so the next movie can't really help
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Better soundtracks that aren't the musical equivalent to paint drying.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    A traditional gun barrel, Bondian scores and standalone films after 2008, a big battle finale that hasn't been seen since TLD, and a ski or underwater sequence.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 12,242
    -100% traditional gun barrel (SP is very close, but the fade out and text after makes it slightly off)
    -Ski scene (not completely necessary as Connery didn’t have one either, but it’d be nice)
    -Underwater action (Craig’s had a little bit of aquatic action, but nothing particularly big yet)
    -Naval suit (also not totally necessary since Lazenby and Dalton didn’t wear one, but I’d love to see this make a return)
    -Other MI6 agents (if the female agent rumor is true maybe that is where it will be addressed)

For the most part the Craig era of Bond has been really satisfying to me and doesn’t miss too many important things. SP does connect his entire era in a way, but at the same time CR and SF are both close enough to standalone Bond films to me. After all, they can both be watched perfectly on their own; isn’t that what really matters? So though I would prefer B25 to be as standalone as possible, I already feel like we have a couple Craig films that are standalone, so that’s not missing.

As for the non-personal mission, we’ve been pretty slanted towards more personal films since TWINE, so I shouldn’t really expect this to change anytime soon. It would be neat though to go the old-fashioned way again starting with the next era. Though I must warn anyone expecting it that action films in general now do tend to have at least a little bit of a personal angle. I would like a non-personal approach, but I think it’s quite unlikely at least until after Craig.

Almost all my wants really quite minor and I won’t be too hurt if my wishes don’t come true. Though I consider SP a misstep, I think Craig’s first 3 Bond films are great entries in the series and regardless of how B25 is I’ll have a pretty positive outlook of his era. Of course, though, I want B25 to be amazing.
    I'll add aerial stunt-work to the mix. I'd like to see a parachute sequence worthy of Rick Sylvester, Jake Lombard and B.J. Worth.
    I have a hard time counting the sequence in QOS because it's so obviously CGI in spite of the fact Daniel and Olga spent hours in the wind tunnel preparing.
    It looks like something out of a video game.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    -100% traditional gun barrel (SP is very close, but the fade out and text after makes it slightly off)
    -Ski scene (not completely necessary as Connery didn’t have one either, but it’d be nice)
    -Underwater action (Craig’s had a little bit of aquatic action, but nothing particularly big yet)
    -Naval suit (also not totally necessary since Lazenby and Dalton didn’t wear one, but I’d love to see this make a return)
    -Other MI6 agents (if the female agent rumor is true maybe that is where it will be addressed)

For the most part the Craig era of Bond has been really satisfying to me and doesn’t miss too many important things. SP does connect his entire era in a way, but at the same time CR and SF are both close enough to standalone Bond films to me. After all, they can both be watched perfectly on their own; isn’t that what really matters? So though I would prefer B25 to be as standalone as possible, I already feel like we have a couple Craig films that are standalone, so that’s not missing.

As for the non-personal mission, we’ve been pretty slanted towards more personal films since TWINE, so I shouldn’t really expect this to change anytime soon. It would be neat though to go the old-fashioned way again starting with the next era. Though I must warn anyone expecting it that action films in general now do tend to have at least a little bit of a personal angle. I would like a non-personal approach, but I think it’s quite unlikely at least until after Craig.

Almost all my wants really quite minor and I won’t be too hurt if my wishes don’t come true. Though I consider SP a misstep, I think Craig’s first 3 Bond films are great entries in the series and regardless of how B25 is I’ll have a pretty positive outlook of his era. Of course, though, I want B25 to be amazing.

I appreciate your positive post!

I wouldn't mind seeing other MI6 agents.

It would be amusing--although it probably would take me out of the movie--if they showed the other MI6 agents in a cameo briefing a la TB, and they were Idris Elba, Gillian Anderson, etc. The MI6 agents in TWINE were underwhelming, IMHO.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,241
    barryt007 wrote: »

It was in a way,as they had the stage of the bridge ready and they weren't going to use it,so they stuck it in not really out of choice.
    The result shows the 'rushed afterthought'.

Haven't heard about that before! No wonder that the whole sequence is particularly lacking.
    Other MI6 agents would be great, agreed.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    120-130 minutes without fuller.
    New chacter turn not in a trater
    Felix Leiter/ Jeffrey Wright
    Mi6/CIA vs Quantum/Spectre
    Group for title song
    Bond knows more then us, but better explanation after it.

New directer is fan of AVTAK, more reasen to go open card about the big thing of Daniel Craig era.
    Oberhauser Hugo Drax style explain plan in Spectre was a good start.

But somethings left from Spectre not made it easier. Vesper Video, i hope Lucia return as hench woman (Irma Bunt like chacter) and fix the brother thing.
    Daniel Craigs era has got one major problem with two faces/names; Ethan Hunt & Jason Bourne.

The five Bourne movies, perhaps the four Damon movies, all have everything that 007 tried to cope with QoB (Quantum of Bourne) as the absolute copycat performance on the Bourne movies. The Bourne movies while not a mighty franchise have gotten everything right that Mendes and friends have tried to achieve only to end up with style over content.
    Ethan Hunt picked up the Moore/Brosnan style 007 movie and perfected them with really impressive stunts and stories that while touched Hunts personal life never dominated the movie and its story. These movies were brilliant actioners with great leading ladies that actually were well written and used.

Craigs reign started with a bang, presided by an old school 007 director who gave the series an interesting new dynamic. Then the show went to Bourne light, with a Bourne editor seemingly running the show, to the last two installments who were style over substance and made DC's 007 nothing special mostly boring but beautifully filmed. Craig had the bad luck of running the franchise opposed to two franchises at the top of their game and EON's answer was arty farty at best.
    The man deserves to go out with a bang as he started EON has been truly lacking in this department bar the occasional moment in the three movies, but I want Craig to have one more kick **** movie in which we can later feel good and wonder why the three in the middle were so bloody poor.
    A proper gunbarrel.

Try not to muck it up again.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    A return to Jamaica - such an important part of Bond.
    No personal angle.
    No moping.
    No going rogue.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited December 2018 Posts: 7,969

That would bring the 25 film saga full circle.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Lets have some fun! Too much doom and gloom we need to lighten things up a bit. To that end having a grand battle would be welcome. I would also like to see a non personal mission but why give the fans what we want. Sometimes I think they are making these Bond films too arty. Bond films are meant to be fun, not movies that try to layer some deep context. In my opinion they mucked up Spectre and really squandered the chance to do something special. Why shoehorn so much into one movie. What's the motivation of making Blofeld the step brother of Bond?

I would love to see a grand finale battle. DC riding off into the sunset in a movie that has some fun and lightens up a bit. What will I see a brooding Bond who is after the step brother of the step brother whose father took Bond in and now feels a sense of betrayal. Bond decides to enlist the help of his family housekeeper May who was the mother of the step brother step brother. This gets very personal. We have many shots of Bond staring out in space wondering and contemplating the life of a secret agent. The end has Bond facing off with the step brother of the step brother. We are left to wonder who will survive.

To paraphrase M "God I miss the times when evil egomaniacal villains tried to hold the world hostage from some really cool lairs."
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

I said it previously in another thread. End it with Bond getting a message from Strangways about coming down to Jamaica to do some fishing and how he has a matter to discuss regarding a mysterious island
    thedove wrote: »
    Lets have some fun! Too much doom and gloom we need to lighten things up a bit. To that end having a grand battle would be welcome. I would also like to see a non personal mission but why give the fans what we want. Sometimes I think they are making these Bond films too arty. Bond films are meant to be fun, not movies that try to layer some deep context. In my opinion they mucked up Spectre and really squandered the chance to do something special. Why shoehorn so much into one movie. What's the motivation of making Blofeld the step brother of Bond?

I would love to see a grand finale battle. DC riding off into the sunset in a movie that has some fun and lightens up a bit. What will I see a brooding Bond who is after the step brother of the step brother whose father took Bond in and now feels a sense of betrayal. Bond decides to enlist the help of his family housekeeper May who was the mother of the step brother step brother. This gets very personal. We have many shots of Bond staring out in space wondering and contemplating the life of a secret agent. The end has Bond facing off with the step brother of the step brother. We are left to wonder who will survive.

To paraphrase M "God I miss the times when evil egomaniacal villains tried to hold the world hostage from some really cool lairs."
    Well said. More fun, adventure, mystery etc. A lair with a design bordering on sci-fi. More of Bond scanning for bugs and tracking villains with them.
    I said it previously in another thread. End it with Bond getting a message from Strangways about coming down to Jamaica to do some fishing and how he has a matter to discuss regarding a mysterious island
    Love this idea. And have a Beretta jam on him.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

Yes, it would be great if BOND 25 led into Dr No, so new viewers would have a reason to go and watch the classics.

Yes, it would be great if BOND 25 led into Dr No, so new viewers would have a reason to go and watch the classics.

Yes to this X1000.

That's basically...the end of SF.

Which is why it is even more inexplicable why Eon felt the need to go back to the destroyed MI6 in SP. They already transitioned to Whitehall.
    A huge satellite full of diamonds which fires lasers down

Seriously I would go for M sending him off on a proper mission, unrelated to any personal problems, revenge, or family history.
    Bond whipping out a little gizmo and checking for bugs. Come to think of it, I don't remember any bug sweeping in the last three eras :-? It doesn't have to be a hotel room - Laz and Roger also checked the villain's guest rooms.