The Saint (tv series and movies)

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The Saint is a different character from Bond. They're not exactly in the same league. Simon Templar is a white knight with Robin Hood-like moralities, whereas Bond does not have morals at all. Not good nor bad. He's just grey. Templar isn't like that.
    Look what is going to appear in France :

Coffret-Saint-L-integrale-DVD.jpg
    Wow great looking boxed set @Gerard ..you going to buy it ?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,416
    It is re-release, difrent set but again 33 disc with 5 seasons.

More Saint news:

New Charlie's Angels movie for 2019 will have chacter named The Saint, see imdb page of the movie or Mexican Luis Gerardo Méndez , who played him https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1645334
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Mmm, Mexican Santo... I think it could be this one: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0763803/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
    Should we just change the title of this thread to 'The Saint' without 2011...make it a general chat thread ?
    Latest rumour is Paramount Pictures is dancing with Chris Pratt to star in a relaunch of its action franchise The Saint. Sources cautioned this is early days, but that the hope is to build the film around the Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World franchise star. Lorenzo di Bonaventura is aboard to produce.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura is producer of The Transformer movies, The Meg, GI Joe, Maze Runner, Deepwater Horizon, RED, and Salt, to name just a few.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/chris-pratt-the-saint-paramout-pictures-early-talks-1202503720/
    Chris Pratt as the Saint, now there is a poor idea if I ever heard one.
    FFS.

At first I though it read Chris Pine, which I could (almost) picture. I can just see why fans might feel Pratt would be an acceptable Indiana Jones in the future, but Simon Templar?

THIS
    is precisely why I would never want Barbara to sell Bond. I think we would get something like this if 007 fell into the wrong hands.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Chris Pratt as the Saint, now there is a poor idea if I ever heard one.

Worse than a poor idea, a stupid one.
    "We don't typecast, anymore."
    – Hollywood
    It's still early talks, and there's nothing to say Chris Pratt will agree to do it. Personally, I think Pratt would be a better fit for Indiana Jones, but as Harrison Ford appears to be blocking all attempts at anyone taking over his role whilst he's still alive, I can see Pratt looking at other franchise options that are more likely to get off the ground.
  • OK then, a compromise: Pratt as Indy, and Hiddleston as the Saint.

I think Pratt works for me as an Indy mk.2, actually - he's got the physicality and an easy smile, verging on the cheeky smart-alec, that I think is key to Indy. He doesn't necessarily have the world-weariness that I associate with the character, but that could come in time. Plus - and this is often overlooked - he's got the ability to carry a huge 9- or 10-figure tentpole.

The Saint - insofar as I've read a couple of the books and seen a couple of the movies, but never the TV show - never seemed as physical to me as, say, Bond or Indy. He's a more about suave charm and cleverness, but can swing his fists a bit when needed. Hiddleston seems like a no-brainer for me on that shopping list, and if/when the new Saint franchise emerges it won't be on the budget scale of Indiana Jones, which is also a bit more appropriate for Hiddleston's star power.
    I'm actually in agreement with you @octofinger. I think Hiddleston would make a much better Simon Templar than he would James Bond. Roger Moore's TV series abandoned the disguise element of the character and worked on a completely different level. The same goes for Ian Ogilvy's take as well. In both these TV series, Templar was more of a dashing globetrotter that solved crimes without the need for makeup or trickery.

I must say, Platt would not have been my own choice being an American. But a little research tells me Templar's origin remains a mystery; he is explicitly British, but in early books he spent some time in the United States battling Prohibition bad guys with his sidekick from the Bronx called Hoppy Uniatz.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Pratt equals box office that's why they will want him, Hiddleston is a good shout he would be a good Simon Templar. I think Max Irons would be good also though he is not well known enough.
    All they have to do is to market the film properly, give it enough attention, and the "unknown" actor who isn't a box office success guarantee would have this film as a vehicle for his credit.
    I'd definitely pick Hiddleston as The Saint over Pratt.
    Same.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 613
    In the early novels Templar is characterized as right on the edge of deranged, a vigilante so overcome with his self-righteousness that he has no qualms about killing his enemies -- and even enjoys it. Charteris pushed this version of the hero about as far as it could go in his brilliant The Saint in New York, in which Templar essentially becomes an assassin. After that bloodbath of a novel, Charteris (perhaps wisely) softened the character.

Hiddleston, who often looks to have a touch of madness in his eyes, would be perfect as the early Saint. He even reminds me of Louis Hayward from the film version of The Saint in New York.
  • Option 2:

Reboot, if you must, The Persuaders - starring Pratt and Hiddleston.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I also think Hiddleston could be excellent as Templar. I've always thought he'd make a fine Steed too. Cast Emily Blunt as Mrs. Peel and you've got a winner, although she may be a bit old for it now.

I may stop by London next year to see him in a recently announced adaptation of Harold Pinter's Betrayal if I can get tickets. I saw Craig in the same role in NYC in 2013 and would be interested to see Hiddleston's take on Robert.
    Blunt wouldn't do Mrs Peel. It's beneath her. ;)

Now, Rebecca Ferguson... We're talking. :D
    octofinger wrote: »
    Option 2:

Not a bad proposition at all!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Blunt wouldn't do Mrs Peel. It's beneath her. ;)

Now, Rebecca Ferguson... We're talking. :D
    Just the thought of it gets me excited.
    octofinger wrote: »
    Option 2:

Not a bad proposition at all!
    I can see it already.

8t9TmLT.jpg
    0RjQuZS.jpg
    As much as I like Chris Pratt? He is not Simon Templar!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,416
    I think Cailee Spaeny or Felicity Jones can be intresting as Mrs Peel.

cailee-spaeny-bad-times-at-the-el-royale-premiere-in-los-angeles-12.jpg
    Cailee-Spaeny-at-W-Magazines-It-Girls-with-Dior.jpg223150.jpg
    26b948b0c23e8a27d08a65c1aa6c085e.jpg
    Cailee Spaeny

With new The Saint series, i don't mind both can have part in episode.
    Hiddleston stick for the Night Manager.

Mabey then better go for Jack Reynor , stil American born but with Irish mother and grow up in Ireland.
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm2930503

App-Jack-Reynor-Insider.jpg

The-Rake-Jack_Reynor_by_Sandro_Baebler_6858_V2-rf.jpg
    The Saint has never seen justice on the screen since George Sanders,Roger,and Ian Ogilvy...since then he has flopped all over the place.

Tom Hiddleston as the Saint would be a perfect choice for me,we don't need another American Simon Templar - no bloody way.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I rather liked Simon Dutton myself, far more than Ogilvy. But, the Australian Tom Selleck clone that preceded it was abysmal.

And agreed. Casting Chris Pratt as Simon Templar is like casting Peter Dinklage as Jack Reacher. A godawful miscasting for the sake of "going against the type," all done wrong. Hiddleston on the other hand is a perfect fit.
    I rather liked Simon Dutton myself, far more than Ogilvy. But, the Australian Tom Selleck clone that preceded it was abysmal.

And agreed. Casting Chris Pratt as Simon Templar is like casting Peter Dinklage as Jack Reacher. A godawful miscasting for the sake of "going against the type," all done wrong. Hiddleston on the other hand is a perfect fit.

Dutton himself I agree Clark,he was a very good Templar,i should have explained it better as I actually meant the cheap look and French production influence in the series killed it.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Dutton himself I agree Clark,he was a very good Templar,i should have explained it better as I actually meant the cheap look and French production influence in the series killed it.
    Once again we agree, Bazza.

Cheap French production influence however still trumped the American effort that followed it seven years later. So, what does that say about us? ;)

That failed pilot was also an American production, so that was another failed attempt.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Once again we agree, Bazza.

Cheap French production influence however still trumped the American effort that followed it seven years later. So, what does that say about us? ;)

That failed pilot was also an American production, so that was another failed attempt.

Indeed,it did tbh !!

Templar is as British as Bond,and putting an American,especially one as boring and charmless as Kilmer was a nightmare scenario.

I didn't even go to see it,and I love the Saint.