The Farewell Thread (or taking a hiatus)

MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
edited March 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 7,999
This is the thread for those to announce either their resignation or going on leave.

I happen to be doing the former. It's been a hell of a five year run, but I'm simply not happy with the way things were handled on this forum. Many are leaving because of it. It's left me gutted. I never thought I would ever do this, but the time has come.

I want to acknowledge the fine members who have made it a joy to visit this site; Tux, Sykes, Tubes, Louis Armstrong, Largo's Shark, Khan, PKK, lalala, Kitty, Colly, Vesper, CJB, FieldsMan, Octopussy, James C., Lazenby., double o' nothing, doctor zhivago, FourDot, groucho, Harmsway, Fae, Brown, shaken not stirred, Sir Hilary Bray, Darth Dimi, Major D. Smythe, Jet Set Willy, Benny, shadowontheson, Samuel 001, Oppers, Luds, James Craig, barry007, Agent Leiter, Willard Whyte,

I may have left out others who have slipped my mind. Not surprising since it's 4AM and I need sleep. I know there are plenty more.

Anyway, it's been a fun ride while it lasted. Ciao.

Comments

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Perhaps you'll reconsider, MP. Like you say, it's 4am. My advice is sleep on it and come back tomorrow and see how you feel then. Indeed, see how you feel after a few days.

It'd be a shame to lose a committed veteran member like yourself...
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 121
    Well I have rowing regatta and much study to do over the next week ... so I won;t be in here alot ... just letting you know. Really it will be just like back at olde-mi6 with my random pop-ins here and there.
    Anyway. It's been nice posting at Keeping The British End Up. 23 months ago, I joined mi6forums.co.uk. That was a fantastic site, and little did I know I'd be there for 23 months. That's right, almost 2 years. Not very long, but still a while. Shame really as KTBEU was a fantastic community. When a place labels itself as a community, it cheapens the entire idea of the word. The people make it with their personalities and contributions, not word limits in posts underneath a title with the word "community". I'm upset, and I never thought I'd leave KTBEU within the next five years. Ironically, I visited it every day, unless an involuntary happening prevented me from doing so. And now, again, an involuntary occurrence is preventing me from visiting it ever again.

It's been a great time, I'm not denying it, but it's just not the same anymore. With the tossing of my account (I mean really, I thought my contributions were somewhat valid) was a stab in the heart, I have no option but to depart. I may return, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I wish you all a great time here without me. Continue the Brosnan bashing Luds. I know you never liked me. And the warning you gave me about "fixing" your posts was laughable. You're not a king, you aren't superior. And you just abuse your position really, when things wouldn't go your way/you don't agree with.

I will miss you benny, Major, St George, Dusty, Dimi, NicNac, Nick007 and the rest of the mod/admin team. James Page, I really don't mean to offend and disregard the amount of work you've done, but it has gone downhill. It has to be said.

Goodbye all.
    I think you all need to sit back and relax for a minute here,it's all new and will take getting used to,but you can still copy and paste your threads and bring them over to here.
    Just dont be too hasty and maybe take a day off to think about things,it will be a shame to see you all go.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    See you later :)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    @MakeshiftPython: Hope you change your mind Python, and to see you here again. If not, farewell!

@FieldsMan: Sorry if a post limit is a burden, we may need to adjust the limit if possible, multiple posts can always be made when long content warrants it. No hard feelings FM, strong words, it's just a forum. I hope you didn't lose sleep over it. Cheers!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I buld more then 9 years of mi6forums experience with more then 2200 messages it is dificult to buld something new again. In 2002 when i re-register i have mabey a litle bit more then 1 year of bulding things. My succes on the forum board happend also because old messages stay around. I leave Dutch forum board because there don't have the option to let stay those older messages and i am walking against some problems in the community if you must stil explain things or i don't understad them.

If people see my older messages there understand me better sometimes. Of course it also happend the other way around, because bulding a new image isn't always easy. if i leave some of my older post behind me or find a way to post less or other intrest.

I have now a big need to talk about Creativity, theater and filming and and whant find other ways then yusing 007 only to do this.

In specialy if we talking about creativity. I always thinking about a way to bulding a new way of posting, extented my post to another level in the way finding new ways of posting things about other things and a way how i can leave old subject and found new one.

Specialy because this new one is linked to social media i think to yuse that to leave.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Even Balje is leaving. What a mess.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    @M_Balje: Again, I hope that much of this is due to it being new and many of you will reconsider! If not, well you won't be forgotten M_Balje!
    Sorry to see you all go. Personally, this place has always served a pretty solid purpose for me: procrastination, and my presence here right now seems to suggest it will still fill that void. I suspect, when certain things cool down, and certain things fall through, a lot of you will wander back here...

Until then, enjoy things. :)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I'm not very happy with the change of things either, but I'm still going to stick around as there are no other places to discuss Bond so well.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 17
    Loving the triple post, Jimbo. :ar!

EDIT - pentuple post.
    done it again. :-j
    Yeah, I'm not subscribing to the Fisher-Price version of MI6 either.

I've been on several forums over the years, and other online communities - they've usually undergone some sort of massive change at some point, but y'know what? They told the users in advance. Well in advance.

The execution of this change is just plain risible. It's not an "improvement" when character limits and editing timeframes are introduced. Et cetera et cetera. I'm finding this mentality of "Well, OK, take it in the ass and just accept that this has been foisted on you without warning" to be pretty amusing. I won't have a bar of it.

Goodbye, MI6. Thanks for all the varicose veins.
  • It's disappointing to see you leave FourDot. I hope you return someday and I really enjoyed reading your reviews which were always great.

• LudsLuds MIA
    @JamesC: Not sure James, I wasn't even aware as of this morning that we'd have the opportunity to see the old archive. When I went to bed yesterday it wasn't available. Perhaps PMs will be too? I don't know, sorry.
  • I understand the general disappointment with this being sprung up so fast and the fact that no one knew about this but I still find it strange so many of you are leaving just because of a new design or losing your posts. The main point of this community still stands - Discuss About Bond. The old forum is archived right now so you can get all the reviews/videos you've done from there and did all of you really care that much about your post counts? I mean it was nice to have them all available to see but did you really ever go back and read or need them? I'm not really sure new posters read those old ones anyway and I'm sure you've all changed your opinions over the course of the last 2-8 years. I think people should at least hive this new design a chance, I'm sure you'll all get used to it. A community is as strong as it's members after all and if we all just jump the ship at the nearest sight of a paintjob this could all crumble.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The very thought that some members here that haven't even posted in the old forums before, are now marked as registered before Perilagu_Khan, M_Balje, Jack_Wade... make me retch.
    Balje and Khan have registered.

If they hadn't, why would that make you retch? You still know who they are, right? Without their post counts.
  • Why is that? Do you think that old members are somehow better then new ones? I get that they've contributed a lot and are what make this forum complete..but deriding new members as somehow inferior is just weird. Who cares about the register date if all these members are still posting..
  • SirHilaryBrayOBESirHilaryBrayOBE Chez Hilly, Portsmouth
    I'm slipping away for a bit. Knowing me I'll wander back soon. In the words of Kenny More, "No fear!"
    Hilly you ol' devil. Don't be long :)
  • SharkShark Banned
    Quoting FourDot:

Yeah, I'm not subscribing to the Fisher-Price version of MI6 either.

I've been on several forums over the years, and other online communities - they've usually undergone some sort of massive change at some point, but y'know what? They told the users in advance. Well in advance.

The execution of this change is just plain risible. It's not an "improvement" when character limits and editing timeframes are introduced. Et cetera et cetera. I'm finding this mentality of "Well, OK, take it in the ass and just accept that this has been foisted on you without warning" to be pretty amusing. I won't have a bar of it.

Goodbye, MI6. Thanks for all the varicose veins.
    Couldn't agree more.

We've all been evicted from an old house, which only needed some paintwork and new doors, and sent to live in an abandoned orphanage.

It's been fun, but I'll always look back on this pointless move with disdain.

In the meantime, you'll know where to find me.

So what happened? Why the change?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting The_Reaper: So what happened? Why the change?
    http://www.mi6-hq.com/moved/
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    edited March 2011 Posts: 158
    Quoting The_Reaper:
    So what happened? Why the change?
    MI6 as a whole went through a major overhaul and management decided that it was time for the forums to be overhauled with it. The sudden nature and the nuking of the old forum is the main reason why some aren't sticking around.

I feel sad that some of the old guard are deciding to leave on account of the way the transition was handled. I can only hope that it is a temporary thing while nuMI6 gets the kinks worked out. If this is goodbye, then auf wiedersehen MP, M_Balje, FourDot, and JamesC.
    Having those old threads around... now not around, yeah, frustraing, even more so for people that have been here for years and years. But let's take the time to look forward and make new threads. Life goes on. But it is really a jerk move to not let us know beforehand. That's sneaky and wrong. Shame, shame on Mi6.