'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Love Doctor Who, always have. Not even a bit interested after I saw that trailer, and I was keeping an open mind to all of the changes. This just looks bloody awful.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Well, I'm going to watch …and then make up my mind. And I reckon it is still going to be better than 90% of the shite that is on the tellybox these days..
    The time slot of the first episode of the eleventh series of the show has been confirmed by the BBC. "The Woman who Fell to Earth" will air from 18.45 to 19.45 (GMT, of course) on BBC One.

https://radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-09-26/doctor-who-series-11-time-slot-confirmed-what-time-is-jodie-whittakers-first-episode-on-tv/
    Will most likely give it a miss!
    I will record it and watch it next week.
    looking forward to the new Doctor Who series.

I feel like a young kid in a new playground wondering how much fun it is going to be.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,102

This is a clip from episode one so obvious spoilers, it's OK

Though I am not sure
    a police officer would feel obliged to give a total stranger there nickname.
    That never happened before in Doctor Who that a total stranger like the Doctor was accepted for who he/she was.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,102
    I decided to have a New Whoathon leading up to the new era/series etc.

Starting with Rose not anywhere near being a top tier episode for me. though it's good in what it sets out to achieve in introducing the Doctor to old and new fans. Jodies debut no doubt will be similar, Eccleston was fantastic from the off, some great blink and you will miss it subtle moments of darkness beneath the surface. I listened to a very recent interview where Eccleston was critical of his portrayal, he felt he should have played it darker and was also critical of the poor budget I bet the god awful Slitheen made him quit more than anything ;))

I never liked the Tyler clan though years later they are more tolerable, though I'll be honest the majority of the RTD era companions/Who posse I found irritating and corny. My favourite by some distance was Wilf

I wonder which previous Doctor Jody will channel, David Tenant perhaps?
    I've lost interest in new who. Watched all capaldi but I was never hooked like previous seasons. Will give this a go just out of habit to see how it goes. Will probably series record it and watch it all sometime like last season
    Doctor Who is great when the writing is good, hopefully all these new debut writers with Who will freshen things up.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,102

It's on BBC 1 UK in less than five minutes...
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Hello Sweetie!
    Well Chris Chibnall has still not written a decent DW episode, this was clunky and mediocre and not a good series premiere, in fact it committed the worse sin which is it was boring in parts.

Another concern is the budget looks slashed, the plus point is Jodie and the cast, there is potential there.
    She was amazing.

This actors role call does not inspire confidence they all look bored.

Next weeks trailer...

Jodie was excellent as was Brad but there was no score or any real drama x and I didn’t like a certain thing re Grace and I didn’t like the end music n spoiling things by naming all the actors coming up x just weird.
    And the ending was hardly a cliffhanger.
    Chris Noth will be there ? I wonder if that's an allusion to Bradley Walsh's former series.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Jodie needs good material x she is a brilliant actor and I knew she would be brilliant as she always is x I just hope she has been given better material in future, she deserves it .
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Well Chris Chibnall has still not written a decent DW episode, this was clunky and mediocre and not a good series premiere, in fact it committed the worse sin which is it was boring in parts.

Another concern is the budget looks slashed, the plus point is Jodie and the cast, there is potential there.

Yeah to be honest it made me really feel like I've taken Steven Moffat for granted. I was really critical of some of his run (the Matt Smith episodes got too complicated and then Capaldi's first series didn't really work for me) but I remember being totally won over by the first Matt Smith episode. This one not so much. Clunky's definitely the right word. For all his faults, when you think about it, Moffat did write a lot of really great episodes right up until the end. If I went back I can probably find at least one episode per series, written by him, that's one of the best episodes of the show. Not convinced Chibnall is in the same league yet. Definitely doesn't seem as witty as Moffat was.

I really liked the setting and how down to earth it was. Cinematography was great. Jodie played what she was given well but she felt a bit generic to me, nothing to set her apart outside of being a woman. It's early days though to be fair, it took Capaldi a while to grow on me. But I don't feel like she hit the ground running like Eccleston and Smith did. And for the episode itself I think clunky is definitely the right word. Plot was mediocre, not really much memorable dialogue or anything, humour didn't really land for me. I like the general direction they're going in, feels more grounded and character driven like Eccleston's series, but not convinced they nailed the execution. To be fair though a lot of those 2005 episodes haven't aged well either.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and watch next week, I'm not writing the series off completely just because it's taking a while to find its feet. But I really liked series 10, and was gutted we only got one series of that. So I think it'll take me a while to warm up to Chibnall and the new cast.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    It's noticeable that whoever plays the Doctor has adopted this motor mouth, running around in circles persona. The lines are becoming blurred as each new actor seems to interpret the Doctor in a similar way.

In classic Who you never confused Pertwee's Doctor with Troughtons, or Tom Baker's with Pertwee.

Now, even though they eventually bring in their own interpretations, they always start off the same way - fast talking, confused, hyper-active.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'll wait until I know for certain all the social white-knighting is a thing of the past. I still haven't got over the gross misrepresentation of the 1st Doctor in Twice Upon A Time (just one of a mounting number of issues I have had with recent Who). If the writer was going to critisize a past Doctor, the least they could have done was to have watched that Doctors stories. If gender as we know it doesn't exist on Gallifrey, then how could the 1st Doctor exhibit a mysogynistic attitude?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I guess in the timey wimey world of Who they can explain anything away if they need to, and there's nothing we can do about it.

They thought it would be funny to have a 60s Doctor behaving with 60s morals, even though he was never actually a creature of any time period. It was odd.

Watching an old episode yesterday morning from 2011 (The Doctor's Wife I think it was, with Suranne Jones as a human embodiment of the TARDIS) the Doctor speaks about another time lord, making the point this TL had regenerated many times, twice as a she.

So, even in 2011 they seemed to be preparing the ground work for a female Doctor.

I'm not one for digging though the history of Dr Who looking for anomalies or inconsistencies, so I was wondering, what was the earliest suggestion that the Dr could change gender?
    I don't mean away from the show (such as Tom Baker's media interview from 1980 when he stirred things up), but within the show itself?
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I enjoyed it very much - and, more importantly, I would have enjoyed it when I was ten, too.

And I'm going to claim
    the spoon
    as a 7th Doctor reference.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 13,882
    That's a problem for me. They are pushing their agenda(s), and don't care about the worm holes they are punching in the character. They want to critisize the first Doctor, fine, but at least get their facts right when they are doing this. Do they not realize that there are fans out who don't watch classic Who for any number of reasons, now think that is what the 1st Doctor was like?

I'd say this was definitely on the cards for... 2 series maybe, they just needed to sow the seeds so they could turn around and say "Well, _____ happened, and so did ____ so why not?"
    Has it ever occurred to anyone but me that in "Twice Upon A Time", the First Doctor was simply trolling, just like he used to do in the first seasons ? Because, let's face it, he was the emperor of trolling, and nobody was protected from his barbs. Just ask Ian Chesterton (the Doctor never seemed to get his name right), or even himself ("So you're my successors, hmm ? A dandy and a clown !"). So, I find easy to believe that he would say what he said to his newest incarnation and his companion, without thinking he was sexist. He was just trolling.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 7,653
    I love all Doctors some a wee bit more and I see them as a character from their time, not unlike the literary 007 as written by Fleming.
    Jodi brought a Doctor recovering from a trauma and she has to find her way, but because of who she is and her history she we always be odd and yet engaging from the get go.

She was amazing and I do look forward to the next episodes. And as always the nay-sayers will be so-called critical and the fans of Doctor Who will accept her as the time-traveler whose body and appearance has little to do with her sexuality, but with the character she/he is. A time-traveler who helps people and has a strong set of principles and is preferably non-violent.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Nicely said, @SaintMark.
    Just one thing, SaintMark : I hope the Doctor's fans will accept her, and not except her. Apart from that, excellent post.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 7,653
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I love all Doctors some a wee bit more and I see them as a character from their time, not unlike the literary 007 as written by Fleming.
    Jodi brought a Doctor recovering from a trauma and she has to find her way, but because of who she is and her history she we always be odd and yet engaging from the get go.

She was amazing and I do look forward to the next episodes. And as always the nay-sayers will be so-called critical and the fans of Doctor Who will accept her as the time-traveler whose body and appearance has little to do with her sexuality, but with the character she/he is. A time-traveler who helps people and has a strong set of principles and is preferably non-violent.

Thanks I missed that spelling mistake