Bond film ranking tournament. Final results

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »
    DAF and AVTAK.

Yes, surprised me too.

I chose the same two-- DAF was easy (funnier and Connery kills it); the second one stopped me in my tracks-- I obviously never gave this much thought, up until now. And my choice did surprise me as well!
    TMWTGG

&

GE
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If Bond 25 is titled GARDEN OF DEATH, we shall eventually have the match DAD vs GOD.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    TMWTGG & GE
    edited September 2018 Posts: 45,489
    TMWTGG beats DAF 17-10

GE beats AVTAK 22-5

Round 58:

DN vs FRWL

and

MR vs LTK
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    FRWL
    LTK

Two absolute favourites.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FRWL
    LTK
    Until today, I would have picked DN over FRWL. After many years though, for me personally, FRWL managed to dethrone DN. BARELY. They are both two of the most important and great Bond films in the series.

So, FRWL over DN - by a hair.

LTK over MR with ease.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FRWL

LTK
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    FRWL & LTK
  • peterpeter Toronto
    FRWL
    LTK (easily)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    DN
    MR
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Wow! Two of my top Bond films head to head. Having watched both of them fairly recently I’m going with FRWL. But it’s pretty much a dead heat. Way too close.
    Whilst I have a lot of time for the often under appreciated MR, I think LTK is the better of the two and gets the win for me.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    DN over FRWL but this could easily change day to day.

MR over LTK by miles.
    FRWL and
    LTK
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,314
    FRWL and MR.

Neither matchup was a blowout, but, on the other hand, neither film was really ever in danger of losing either.
  • GBFGBF
    FRWL and MR (but it is very close)
    FRWL

&

LTK
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    FRWL

&

LTK

Better make that two.
  • FRWL
    Moonraker
    FRWL
    LTK
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FRWL and... MR. There, i did it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Top easy
    FRWL and MR. Both are in my top 5. 4 and 5 respectively
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DN vs FRWL: This isn't as difficult a choice for me as it might be for some other members. I enjoy both films immensely, and they are both top five entries for me. The legend that is Sean Connery is at his magnificent best in both, and they are both stripped down thrillers beautifully executed by the great Terence Young. I've always preferred the sequel, because I feel it has a bit more of a romantic flair to it, with the otherwordly Istanbul and Orient Express taking centre stage. There is also a wonderful feeling of suspense which pervades it, accentuated by the sharp staccato Barry score. It is by far my favourite Bond film, and that's why it must get the win from me here, but that's not a knock on Bond's debut, which is one of the all time great films in this genre. These two set the bar extraordinarily high for all comers. They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure, and there will never be another Sean Connery.

MR vs LTK: This is a more difficult choice for me. These films represent the polar opposite of what cinematic Bond can be, but I really like both a lot. Dalton's second and last outing owns a place in my top ten for a reason though. It's a film which took risks with the franchise, and although it may have failed to light up the market at the time, like fine wine it has aged very well. LTK was a film ahead, and I'd argue that without it, we wouldn't have seen Daniel Craig as James Bond. It's a film which returned the character to his roots, and for that reason alone it deserves the win here. That's not to take anything away from the extraordinary MR, which remains the most ambitious film that EON have put to celluloid, and a magnificent visual achievement. It's a very entertaining light hearted Bond film as well.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FRWL, but very close.
    LTK by a long ways.

Yes.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    FRWL over DN and MR over LTK.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    FRWL
    LTK
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FRWL, but very close.
    LTK by a long ways.

Yes.

Seconded old boy.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    FRWL
    &
    LTK

038.jpg
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    The John Barry scores are the deciding factors for me this round: