No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Don't worry, I laughed. Glad the crystal ball thing is catching on.

Though in this instance I don't think Craig will be setting foot on a Bond set til January. 2nd Unit stuff could feasibly be started in December, though. Both Quantum and Skyfall had 2nd Unit footage in the can well before any actors recorded anything.

But it depends on what stage the script is at, which is the big thing at the moment really. I believe they have a director in place. So we'll see how it goes.

Yeah, I don't think so either. It will happen when it happens. I'm sure other things can be taken care of that don't involve Craig's presence.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    // I believe they have a director in place. So we'll see how it goes.//

I guess I don't think they have a director in place. My reasoning? I think they'd want to get the news out quickly. I certainly don't think they had one all lined up and ready to go at the time of the announcement that Danny Boyle had departed. (A fan theory.)

However, to be clear, I don't know and don't claim to know. Just wanted to make that point before the inevitable "tsk-tsk" post.

Yes - likewise, I don't know either. It's just my gut feeling that between the recent news surrounding the script that they may wait before announcing anything for fear of anything negative happening again. To be sure, to be sure etc.
  • // I believe they have a director in place. So we'll see how it goes.//

I guess I don't think they have a director in place. My reasoning? I think they'd want to get the news out quickly. I certainly don't think they had one all lined up and ready to go at the time of the announcement that Danny Boyle had departed. (A fan theory.)

I keep changing my mind about this. It would be a tough thing to keep secret, for sure. But EON would also want to maximize the announcement for several different reasons: minimizing bad press from the Boyle fallout, building as much hype as possible for the film itself, landing a PR win with the core fans, etc.

Just food for thought, comparing two hypothetical announcements...

(Now) "Here's the replacement for Danny Boyle, and we're going to get back to work."
    vs
    (Later) "Here's the replacement for Danny Boyle, they've been working, it's going well, and we're fully on track with [this] as the confirmed plan."

....the second one might play a lot better re: the reasons above.

All will be revealed soon. I'm confident.

We have all the time in the world. ;)
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I didn't claim anything. I made a joke. That's sort of my thing.
    For your information: your joke doesn't work if you accept it's impossible filming will start at the beginning of December.

Sorry I'm not as great as a comedian as you.

The best comedy is often unintentional.
    What worries me he most is craig committing to another film in November. I find that odd, he needs as much rest as possible then wants to tackle that ??
    MooreFun wrote: »
    For your information: your joke doesn't work if you accept it's impossible filming will start at the beginning of December.

1EwcmA2.jpg
  • peterpeter Toronto
    All we can do at this point is make educated guesses based on what we know, and what we know, before the media said anything, are the words of ColonelSun (sorry to those who weeks ago said he was saying nothing new, but)--

@ColonelSun wrote several times, or, at other times I was his voice-- and no @JeremyBondon, as you know by now, that does not make us the same person(!), lol--.

The Colonel set a few things straight that he knew was the game at the moment-- not speculation:

Immediately after Boyle's quitting/dismissal(?), it was widely reported that this was about a casting decision; that decision butted heads with the star. The star got the director canned.

And ppl on this site went nuts. They called Craig all kinds of names (again, right??? DC must be so bored with it by now. And ppl on this site want more news... To what???... Tell the producers and the star of one of the biggest franchises of all time how to do their job???... Just saying)...

.... It was said-- at first through me, and later the Colonel himself, and repeated over and over, for weeks (against everything being "reported" in the news)-- that Boyle didn't quit because of the casting of one actor.

Instead, as @ColonelSun correctly published over and over, this was more about a script that Eon (and their distributor) were concerned about; it lacked appropriate budget and action (mind you, speculation on my part: they may still love the concept or idea of it, they just needed more Bond elements............).

As the Colonel reported weeks ago: the powers-that-be (that would include MGM, but especially Universal), wanted writers to punch up the action required to SELL A JAMES BOND FILM (this was NOT a theory in the papers when Boyle "walked"; it was SOMETHING ONLY SAID HERE, ON THIS FORUM, sorry for my raised voice....).

Boyle balked and then walked.

As @ColonelSun is saying at this moment, things are sealed.

I describe it as DEAFENING SILENT...

Which, speculatively, means: shit's going down that we're not privy to at this moment.

However, as I, and others have suggested, at the moment, the release dates will be met, until otherwise notified. And, if the release dates are not met, the announcement WILL be released at the very final moment (when ALL of the players agree the release dates can't be met) BUT;

We are not there yet. And as I keep saying: stay tuned.

P
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think it’s a high probability that there is a director in place who is contributing to the final script.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And @Murdock -- you know your wit is an A+ amongst so many of us!

And to @AgentM72 thanks for joining the forum-- you have a cool, intellectual, and common-sensical approach to assessing what you feel is going on. You do this without being confrontational or passive-aggressive. I'll take a bet and say many on this site will appreciate that (whether they agree or disagree with your thoughts)...
    P
    talos7 wrote: »
    I think it’s a high probability that there is a director in place who is contributing to the final script.

I'm inclined to think this too. If Purvis and Wade are indeed writing or re-working the script right now I can't see that being done independently of a Director who will then bring another writer on board to tweak the thing yet again.

That said all this is still conjencture. All we know for a fact is that EON and Boyle parted ways. We'll get the next official update from EON when there is something substantial to reveal.

I'll just cling onto the hope that others have mentioned, a postponed date for shooting to commence but the release date remaining locked in.

• peter wrote: »

And to @AgentM72 thanks for joining the forum-- you have a cool, intellectual, and common-sensical approach to assessing what you feel is going on. You do this without being confrontational or passive-aggressive. I'll take a bet and say many on this site will appreciate that (whether they agree or disagree with your thoughts)...
    P

Same to you, my friend. Happy to be here. And I'm glad we have both yourself and @ColonelSun with us.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Thanks @AgentM72 ...! I'm a working writer with some credits and development deals. I work hard to get what I can get. And continue to do so. However...--

@ColonelSun did work with Eon on LTK, and is very embedded in the industry in London. He's a great writer (I've read his projects that are in development), and director. A great dude. Very talented. Wonderful story-teller. And a gentleman.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ahhh, fresh air....
  • I rarely comment on here granted I've been following this thread closely.

I get some people have strong opinions as to what will happen...but man, why so much negativity!?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    The fun part of speculating is also the downside of speculating. We can't know for sure what's happening right now, no matter how strongly we want to proclaim it. I think if we all try and remember that, the discussion will be healthier for it.

RE: the delay discussion. That decision will be an equation that's far from a simple.

Just a few of the many complex inputs that spring to mind:

-There are massive commercial ramifications to a delay. For Universal, MGM, EON, and all their partners. It is in all parties' vested interested to try as hard as humanly possible to hit the Nov '19 date. It seems like a safe assumption to say that's what's happening now.

-There's a noteworthy difference between a shooting delay and a release delay, as many have touched on. Delaying principal photography until January to solve creative problems would, as @peter pointed out, really only cost them about 2 production weeks, given the holiday break. No doubt a trickier and tighter schedule, but hardly impossible when it comes to still hitting a November release. That's the decision that needs to be made first. A release delay would be the decision made second, and indicative of larger-scale change in the creative approach that necessitates more reinvention and time.

-The decision on either delay won't be made until the last possible moment it needs to be made. They aren't there yet.

-As far as I know, we have absolutely no verified idea where Bond 25 stands creatively. We don't know what it's about, how baked that concept is, how significant any necessary revisions are, or how much their pre-production efforts to date would be impacted by the expected revisions. The impact could be small. It could be huge. We can't know the answer to this, and until years from now when they update Some Kind of Hero again, we won't.

-The director domino will change this entire discussion, instantly. Will they execute current version? Are they comfortable using much of the work done to date? Will they demand more changes to fit their own vision, forcing EON to (possibly) delay for more time as a tradeoff for signing the name they want? The answers to those questions will be what determines the delay outcome, and I suspect we'll be able to intuit at least parts of them based on the shape the announcement takes.
    Excellent post imho, which summarizes the current state of affairs as well as all the moving parts very succinctly and clearly.

You're absolutely spot on in terms of the speculation - it's a lot of fun as long as people don't lose sense of what we actually know and what we don't. It's easy to get carried away sometimes and we should guard against that. I agree that there are many moving parts and that we aren't privy to much of what's happening - no doubt they are hard at work trying to right the ship and are hopefully still on track for a 2019 release at the present time.
    echo wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Something that just came to mind re: Layton and Clarkson in comparison to Boyle: We knew that Boyle was an aficionado of Fleming and that he had grown up with and read the books. From Layton's comments, he is more of a fan of the films and given his age, the 70's films in particular. Do we even know if he has read Fleming? Same goes for Clarkson.

This could suggest a shift in approach, but then again it might not and I'm not sure how relevant it is.

They sound like the poor man's Sam Mendes.

Piss up and brewery come to mind right now in relation to EON and B25.

Some actors--Nicole Kidman comes to mind--like to champion up-and-coming directors. (Kidman takes a lot of risks in her performances, especially post-Cruise, and they largely pay off.).

Maybe Craig is like that, and maybe Babs is too. Maybe a relative feature newbie (although Clarkson has a lot of acclaimed TV under her belt) can bring something fresh and exciting to a franchise that needs invigorating. As for Layton, American Animals has a playful energy to it that is, dare I say it, not unlike Boyle. You never know what will happen.

I remain optimistic about B25.
    I agree. They both appear to be interesting choices, and any possible unfamiliarity with Fleming source material that I alluded to can be filled in by P&W script wise. In terms of capturing Bond onscreen, I suppose they will bring their own take as all directors invariably do, and it will be influenced by their perceptions of screen Bond.
    // I believe they have a director in place. So we'll see how it goes.//

However, to be clear, I don't know and don't claim to know. Just wanted to make that point before the inevitable "tsk-tsk" post.
    I'm with you on this. I don't think they have the director in place yet. Regarding whether they will announce it shortly after finalizing, I'm in two minds. I can see how it might be more splashy if they wait for the big presser in December to announce this and also fill in the blanks on other elements, including cast members etc. The anticipation would build nicely, especially if they preanounce the date of the press conference. Of course it's purely speculation on my part as well, and I have no idea where they really are with things. If they do wait until December, this thread is likely to explode.
    JamesStock wrote: »
    I rarely comment on here granted I've been following this thread closely.

I get some people have strong opinions as to what will happen...but man, why so much negativity!?
    It has certainly become rather toxic of late, with innuendo and negativity being all too readily and continually expressed. It certainly doesn't make for a pleasant environment. I'm pretty sure this will all die down once production ramps up and the news stream kicks into high gear. We're only a few months away, so folks should be able to hold it together without tearing each other to shreds until then, hopefully.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    MooreFun wrote: »

1EwcmA2.jpg

I love that picture. I really, really, really, really do, lol!
    I am rather howling mad. ;)
    latest?cb=20180707054623
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think it’s improved with the warnings we have issued, both private and public. If we see it sliding back to where it was a week or two ago people will be taken to task.

None of us are indispensable, if it means keeping this a sane and relatively pacific environment. Except @Murdock ; of course he’s indispensable.

Zardoz is @Murdock , and Murdock is Zardoz.
    You wouldn't catch me in that Zardoz outfit. =))
  • peterpeter Toronto

Uh... Last Saturday night? Or was I dreaming?
    peter wrote: »

Uh... Last Saturday night? Or was I dreaming?

You must be dreaming. :))
    qcH1M2b.gif
    And, if the release dates are not met, the announcement WILL be released at the very final moment (when ALL of the players agree the release dates can't be met)
    Ok, but when exactly? Next week? Next month? Early December? 24 October 2019, a day before the planned UK release date? :))
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    echo wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Something that just came to mind re: Layton and Clarkson in comparison to Boyle: We knew that Boyle was an aficionado of Fleming and that he had grown up with and read the books. From Layton's comments, he is more of a fan of the films and given his age, the 70's films in particular. Do we even know if he has read Fleming? Same goes for Clarkson.

This could suggest a shift in approach, but then again it might not and I'm not sure how relevant it is.

They sound like the poor man's Sam Mendes.

Piss up and brewery come to mind right now in relation to EON and B25.

Some actors--Nicole Kidman comes to mind--like to champion up-and-coming directors. (Kidman takes a lot of risks in her performances, especially post-Cruise, and they largely pay off.).

Maybe Craig is like that, and maybe Babs is too. Maybe a relative feature newbie (although Clarkson has a lot of acclaimed TV under her belt) can bring something fresh and exciting to a franchise that needs invigorating. As for Layton, American Animals has a playful energy to it that is, dare I say it, not unlike Boyle. You never know what will happen.

I remain optimistic about B25.

We know P&W are involved which means the plot and dialogue are almost guaranteed to be abysmal. We also know that top directors are likely to stay well clear after what happened with Boyle.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    latest?cb=20180707054623

I half expected you to put your fists in the air and proclaim, "I AM INDISPENSABLLLLE!"
    latest?cb=20180707054623

I half expected you to put your fists in the air and proclaim, "I AM INDISPENSABLLLLE!"

Only if I was on my last legs. :))
  • I feel that is centrally what is so frustrating about the current predicament.

The longer we wait without news from Eon, the more likely they have abdicated the 2019 slot.

However, they won’t announce a delay without agreeing a new date first.

So, we could be looking at a few days (maybe even a few hours) of news that someone has come in to direct and the film is still due for 2019. Alternatively, we could wait well into the new year and stay in the same holding pattern with Bond 25 in the books for 2019 with no realistic chance it’ll meet that date.

Personally, I’m growing restless of @peter and @ColonelSun non-updates. Firstly, I’m fairly certain they’re the same person and their ‘updates’ are from Variety.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I feel that is centrally what is so frustrating about the current predicament.

The longer we wait without news from Eon, the more likely they have abdicated the 2019 slot.

So, we could be looking at a few days (maybe even a few hours) of news that someone has come in to direct and the film is still due for 2019. Alternatively, we could wait well into the new year and stay in the same holding pattern with Bond 25 in the books for 2019 with no realistic chance it’ll meet that date.

Personally, I’m growing restless of @peter and @ColonelSun non-updates. Firstly, I’m fairly certain they’re the same person and their ‘updates’ are from Variety.

Wrong on all points there, re the last paragraph.
    If there is no information to update then there is no information to update,no matter who it's expected from.

I feel that is centrally what is so frustrating about the current predicament.

If I hear anything solid, I'll update. And Peter and I are NOT the same person, it's very obvious from how we express ourselves in our posts that we are not the same person, and I'm sure the Mods will be more than happy to correct you as well. Also, I don't get my updates or info (when any comes my way) from Variety - I don't really need to, but of course working in film and tv obviously means I do keep up with the media sites. Hope that helps.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sorry you feel that way @Pierce2Daniel ; I have asked the Mods to investigate this claim that @ColonelSun and myself are one in the same, and that we are the same person under two different accounts. I've asked them, and am asking them, to please share with the forum what their findings are.

You may be frustrated by the lack of news, but to fire that tired shot is disappointing.

And @ColonelSun has been a very good guy to have shared anything. I understand why he gets incredibly frustrated.
    Sorry you feel that way @Pierce2Daniel ; I have asked the Mods to investigate this claim that @ColonelSun and myself are one in the same, and that we are the same person under two different accounts. I've asked them, and am asking them, to please share with the forum what their findings are.

You may be frustrated by the lack of news, but to fire that tired shot is disappointing.

And @ColonelSun has been a very good guy to have shared anything. I understand why he gets incredibly frustrated.

Hear hear !!

+1