YOLT beats TWINE 19-7

Round 57:

DAF vs TMWTGG

and

AVTAK vs GE

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    TMWTGG
    GE
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    TMWTGG
    GE

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DAF

GE
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    DAF and GE.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    TMWTGG and GE.
    DAF and TMWTGG are two of my least favorites, but TMWTGG has an edge thanks to Christopher Lee.

I like AVTAK, but GE is simply superior in most aspects.

TMWTGG > DAF

GE > AVTAK
    TMWTGG and AVTAK easily.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Whilst DAF is nothing if not entertaining. With so many great lines and terrific characters, I've found a new appreciation for Roger Moore's second outing.
    I'll go with TMWTGG

As for the second match, I like a lot of AVTAK. It has many flaws, but it's certainly not as bad as I often think it too be. There's a lot to enjoy, but GE is a better Bond film.
    Therefore I'll go with GE.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    DAF AND GE

two of my favorites
  • DAF
    GE
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DAF vs TMWTGG - very difficult choice for me. TMWTGG has always been a fave of mine, since early childhood (I can't remember for sure, but I think it may well have been the first Bond film I ever saw). However, DAF has grown on me a lot lately. I've said this many times here, but I love the charismatic quirkiness of all the characters in Hamilton's later 70's films. It's all a bit trashy perhaps, but also undoubtedly highly memorable. In this instance both Bond actors fire on all cylinders with excellent performances, but I give the win to Moore's entry because he looks amazing in it and I think his personification of James Bond here is one of the best realizations of the character in the entire series. Connery must come second in this case.

AVTAK vs GE - on many an occasion I find it necessary to justify my opinion. This isn't one of those cases. It should be self explanatory. A sound thrashing on all counts.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TMWTGG over DAF

GE over AVTAK
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love Francisco Scaramanga/Lee, but DAF's fun and funnier, with Connery breezing through it effortlessly. DAF takes this.
    and, not to be controversial....
    I'd rather watch Walken and Moore go at it in AVTAK, although I know GE is a superior film. AVTAK takes this one (I've now flinched, eyes closed, waiting for the first punch to the jaw... @Murdock?...).
    peter wrote: »
    I love Francisco Scaramanga/Lee, but DAF's fun and funnier, with Connery breezing through it effortlessly. DAF takes this.
    I'd rather watch Walken and Moore go at it in AVTAK, although I know GE is a superior film. AVTAK takes this one (I've now flinched, eyes closed, waiting for the first punch to the jaw... @Murdock?...).

Well thank God someone else went along with me 're GE! I'd much rather watch Walken/Jones and Ol' Rog in AVTAK than Brossas borefest!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    peter wrote: »

I am with you as well. Connery s and Moore s final EON efforts both beat their Golden adversaries here.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    However mediocre TMWTGG may be, against DAD it's yet another no-brainer.
    And whatever one thinks of Moore vs. Brosnan, the latter's best movie still beats the former's worst. The choice therefore is GE.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    And whatever one thinks of Moore vs. Brosnan, the latter's best movie still beats the former's worst. The choice therefore is GE.

Just to make sure you misspelled rather than misread: The film is DAF, not DAD, @j_w_pepper .
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Just to make sure you misspelled rather than misread: The film is DAF, not DAD, @j_w_pepper .

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, to use a quote from GE. I did mix it up, but the ultimate decision stays the same, though not quite as clearly. So it still remains TMWTGG and GE.
    DAF
    GE
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    TMWTGG
    GE
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TMWTGG Very close but I'll give the edge to the 1974 Bond series entry for having the more exotic locations and the stronger villain.

and

GE for making better use of the plot device only briefly mentioned but never developed in the 1985 film, i.e., one nuclear burst in outer space over the UK to paralyze the nation. The 1985 does have the far superior music score courtesy of master composer John Barry.
    GE for making better use of the plot device only briefly mentioned but never developed in the 1985 film, i.e., one nuclear burst in outer space over the UK to paralyze the nation.

The UK probably isn't at as much risk from a Goldeneye type weapon in the Bond universe of AVTAK as it's established they're making EMP resistant microchips which springboards the whole plot in the first place. If Brosnan is part of the same continuity then technology didn't progress as planned.

I'll take DAF over TMWTGG for the sublime score. My second favourite from Barry.

AVTAK over GE. AVTAK is certainly tired but has a better Bond, a better villain and the much missed Patrick Macnee.
  • peterpeter Toronto

quote="Cowley;918821"]
    GE for making better use of the plot device only briefly mentioned but never developed in the 1985 film, i.e., one nuclear burst in outer space over the UK to paralyze the nation.

The UK probably isn't at as much risk from a Goldeneye type weapon in the Bond universe of AVTAK as it's established they're making EMP resistant microchips which springboards the whole plot in the first place. If Brosnan is part of the same continuity then technology didn't progress as planned.

I'll take DAF over TMWTGG for the sublime score. My second favourite from Barry.

AVTAK over GE. AVTAK is certainly tired but has a better Bond, a better villain and the much missed Patrick Macnee.
    [/quote]

good Dog-- yes!!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,314
    Gorsh Mickey, that first matchup is tough. Talk about even stevens. I'm going to give the slight edge to TMWTGG because of the strong performances from Moore and Lee, although I do get a kick out of Connery and Gray doing their thing in Diamonds.

I'm afraid the GE satellite will be quite operational when your AVTAK friends arrive.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    TMWTGG and GE
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    DAF
    &
    GE
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAF and AVTAK.

Yes, surprised me too.
  • GBFGBF
    edited September 2018 Posts: 3,195
    TMWTGG > DAF ( but very close). I really like both films despite their flaws. I think, TMWTGG has a little bit more suspense, a better villain and a better climax on the island.

AVTAK > GE both are among my favourites. I just love AVTAK, what else can I say..