No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    QOS, to me, feels more like an appendix to CR, only shorter and a lot faster.

Campbell made two Bond films, both successful, both also completely different, tonally and stylistically, even if he brought some of the crewmembers working on GE back for CR.

A director doesn't necessarily have to reproduce his "first" Bond film when he makes another one several entries later. So in that respect, I'm sure that if Forster were allowed to do B25, he might very well consider going a different way with it. Besides, it's not like he'd have complete reign over this project anyway.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, I doubt EON are thinking about bringing back Forster. Until SP, QoS was the definite black sheep of the tenure. The general audience has not warmed to that entry like some core fans have.

I remember about December January time I expressed my worry about the lack of news, and the common response seemed to be that EON had much going on behind the scenes, and things were far further along than we knew about. Now hear we are, nearly a year later, still no announced director or even casting rumours (besides the villain). Now Craig is working on another project in the months leading up to B25 start date. This is someone who has made five films in the last five years, suddenly he is doing two in the next 10 months? Just seems strange, considering he is a co-producer of Bond, and knows by now how much effort and focus these things take.

I do think it's possible that EON saw Fallout and realised that what they were preparing just wouldn't compete on an action front. This is what makes me think they threw out his script altogether and went back to the P+W treatment. Only question now is can they find a director willing to wrap up the Craig era, work from a incomplete script and against a tight deadline? It will be an fascinating couple of weeks.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited September 2018 Posts: 732
    Remington wrote: »
    The only criticism of QOS that I think is worthy is the editing and even that I never had a problem with. As far as I'm concerned, if the film had been about 15 minutes longer it'd be perfect. Use the time to include more scenes with Guy Haines, White, Mathis, and Fields.
    Totally agree with this, only adding extended view of the locations. The atmosphere of the Greene Planet party could have lasted a bit longer for example.

The defining films of the Craig era will be CR and SF but for me QoS is in the same league. Craig‘s first 3 are all awesome, imho. I really only mind the editing of QoS.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    @Mendes4Lyfe I agree with everything you wrote except that M:I 6 scared them. The theory that Mission Impossible 6 made them reconsider things is probably the most insane theory in the history of this thread. The movie made less money than Spectre and FAR less money than Skyfall! And if you say that the Bourne movies made them reconsider things after DAD, even though they made less money than DAD, my answer is that the Bourne movies changed the action genre in a way M:I 6 never will, as M:I 6 is a very old school action movie.
    EON is in a right mess! Reports of a new script? Purvis and Wade re hired? Things ain't looking good for the future of Bond. I thought mgw and BB need to hand over the reigns to fresh producing blood. The situation is a bit like what's going on at Manchester United at present. A great institution being severely MI's managed by the owners.
    @Mendes4Lyfe I agree with everything you wrote except that M:I 6 scared them. The theory that Mission Impossible 6 made them reconsider things is probably the most insane theory in the history of this thread. The movie made less money than Spectre and FAR less money than Skyfall!

The Bourne Identity made half as much as Die Another Day, and they came out the same year. EON still took notice.
    Bond should be setting it's own path.
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    EON is in a right mess! Reports of a new script? Purvis and Wade re hired? Things ain't looking good for the future of Bond. I thought mgw and BB need to hand over the reigns to fresh producing blood. The situation is a bit like what's going on at Manchester United at present. A great institution being severely MI's managed by the owners.
    What is a Right mess is People throwing uneducated presumptions on the table just for the sake of throwing their Hands into the air.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    The only criticism of QOS that I think is worthy is the editing and even that I never had a problem with. As far as I'm concerned, if the film had been about 15 minutes longer it'd be perfect. Use the time to include more scenes with Guy Haines, White, Mathis, and Fields.
    +1
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    +1
    @Mendes4Lyfe I agree with everything you wrote except that M:I 6 scared them. The theory that Mission Impossible 6 made them reconsider things is probably the most insane theory in the history of this thread. The movie made less money than Spectre and FAR less money than Skyfall!

The Bourne Identity made half as much as Die Another Day, and they came out the same year. EON still took notice.
    The Bourne movies were innovative and changed the action genre. Mission 6 is a very old school action film.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    The Bourne movies were innovative and changed the action genre. Mission 6 is a very old school action film.
    Agree - but a very good one. It have made (so far) less than SP, but it cost less plus was very, very well received even by critics. Like CR and (like it or not) SF did. SP was too expensive and by far not as well-received as MI6 is.

B25 has a very good chance to improve on SP and most likely will be better than SP.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    It would be really lovely to see Jeffrey Wright back in B25. In QoS his part was fine but felt a bit like a missed opportunity.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,665
    Don't want to badmouth EON. In fact, I've been a supporter on all accounts. But do you remember when they had the inclination to show the fans some respect, with the Yarborough reports for example. I think they lasted up until CR. He was a liaison with the fan community. Not the most groundbreaking thing, but it worked rather nicely, and gave the impression they cared a bit for us, with some pics of the preproduction, production, ... And in a time when twitter and instagram and whatever didn't even exist.

Now, all we get is absolute silence and a rotten détente, as if we were the enemy or worst, people without the right to care for their franchise. I've heard countless times that we don't have the right to expect more from them on the communications department, but hell, why not? It would serve both interests. Do they need to do it? No, absolutely not. Should they? Of course they should. If I worked for them, I'd find many entertaining ways to keep the fans appeased. Even in the darkest of hours. It's not rocket science.

The all thing just sounds like "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" said from a very high balcony. And yes, I do know they've been catering to the fan base, film wise, with the references and all. But that is not what the majority of fans want, actually. They just want to feel a bit closer to the production. A bit part of it. Even if we don't actually use the loo or the kitchen in the bloody palace.

Not screaming for the revolution here, I just don't understand it. I know it's a high horse, but there is something to say about the people on it. And no, Panchito, don't feel the need to kick the horse and the rider on the chins. This is all good sports.

I say, bring back Yarborough or a simple direct liaison. Bloody hell, if we put our contributions in a jar, we could pay for his job, if the guys at EON deem it too expensive for their golden stitched pockets.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 14,815
    The trouble I see so many have is that they want their Bond film. The Bond film that will please them.
    The perfect director, story, writers, cast. It has to be what they want. Well, it's never going to happen. EON don't make Bond films entirely for Bond fans. They make them for cinemagoers, and too make money. A change in ownership or the producers is not going to make a massive difference. If anything it'll make things worse. An unknown producer, wanting to change things too much. Potentially. Tried and tested is my preferred route.

Imagine if this forum was around in 1968. A new Bond film was on the horizon. A new Bond actor was being cast. Sean Connery's replacement. Not a chance, well maybe we'll give the guy a go. Who is he? A model...the Big Fry man. Seriously he has no acting experience. The director is who? Peter Hunt. But he's never directed before, he's an editor. This is all shaping up to be the worst Bond film ever. The series is over, I have lost faith in Broccoli and Saltzman.
    But look at the result. One of the most beloved films of the series. For many.

A new Bond film will be released. Most likely in 2019 on schedule, unless we hear otherwise. I don't understand why some people get so frustrated about this, when there is absolutely nothing any of us can do about it.

Of course as fans we can discuss this, but it shouldn't be something to dwell on, or get overly concerned about. News will come, when it's ready.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Benny
    Excellent post, sir.
  • RC7RC7
    Yes, very good @Benny.
    @Benny, that first paragraph of yours is spot on. I do concur with everything you wrote. And nothing that I wrote contradicts it. But I was referring to the (lost) liaison they had with the fan community and advocating it would be better on all accounts if they recuperate it. Small reports on a given day, even if only a sentence about a colateral detail. A picture of a corner of a desk - actually that one has been done already - for example. Crumbs, just bloody crumbs would suffice ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It was mentioned above that thinking the success, on many levels, of MI:F had an affect on Bond 25 was an insane idea; we’ll prepare me for the asylum. It definitely is not the only factor but there’s little doubt that it made them sit up and notice.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,258
    Agreed @Benny, wonderful words.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Bang on, @Benny

The frustration is giving way to irrational scaremongering about selling up shop and it doesn't do anyone any favours at all.
    Selling shop is the last thing I want them to do. I actually am more interest to know how Gregg climbs the stairs, as I think he really enjoys his work, just like his father does. It's a family. Keep it in the family, I say.

Also, his answers are very much the same as his aunt's. Quite the diplomat. He's the future of all of this, not an outsider.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    talos7 wrote: »
    It was mentioned above that thinking the success, on many levels, of MI:F had an affect on Bond 25 was an insane idea; we’ll prepare me for the asylum. It definitely is not the only factor but there’s little doubt that it made them sit up and notice.
    Undoubtedly imho, and with good reason.

Precisely. That is precisely why they'd be fools not to study it closely. Not only did it achieve what SP set out to do more successfully, but it captured the spirit of the way things were done in the past, while embracing and looking towards the future. A landmark action film in my humble view, at a time when the genre is teetering on irrelevancy in the wake of a decade of Marvel dominance. It may not have made as much as SP, but it has reinforced fan's passion for the series and that passion and enthusiasm from the core is growing with each entry. As I remarked in a much earlier post, I don't know of anyone who 'hates' or 'strongly dislikes' the last three MI films. Can we say the same about the last three Bond films, irrespective of how much money they make today?

Having said that, it's not something that can be easily emulated. The level of effort, fan love and dedication required to deliver something like that can't be readily duplicated.
    Benny wrote: »
    A new Bond film will be released. Most likely in 2019 on schedule, unless we hear otherwise. I don't understand why some people get so frustrated about this, when there is absolutely nothing any of us can do about it.

Of course as fans we can discuss this, but it shouldn't be something to dwell on, or get overly concerned about. News will come, when it's ready.
    I agree. There's no need to get upset or overly excited at this point, although recent revelations are somewhat concerning, if I'm being honest. If that release date is moved into 2020, then I can fully understand and will completely support anyone who has a nervous breakdown or throws their toys out of the pram - unless a recast accompanies the move.
    Univex wrote: »
    Don't want to badmouth EON. In fact, I've been a supporter on all accounts. But do you remember when they had the inclination to show the fans some respect, with the Yarborough reports for example. I think they lasted up until CR. He was a liaison with the fan community. Not the most groundbreaking thing, but it worked rather nicely, and gave the impression they cared a bit for us, with some pics of the preproduction, production, ... And in a time when twitter and instagram and whatever didn't even exist.
    I'm not familiar with Yarborough, but completely agree that they have to do a better job with fan PR management. These films make a lot of money these days and are 'event' pics. They should ensure that PR reflects that upgrade as well.
    My guess is next week we will get the director announced and the release date will not change but my hope is that the film is amazing and whips the floor against the competition
    Risico007 wrote: »
    My guess is next week we will get the director announced and the release date will not change but my hope is that the film is amazing and whips the floor against the competition

Hope so. And in doing so, it would open a precedent on how the worst circumstances can give way to the best of films. And then we would have nothing to quarrel about on another pre production nightmare ;)

High hopes, always, even in the darkest of hours. KBO, I say ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    @Benny so spot on, bravo.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    They say necessity is the Mother of Invention...
  • Bravo, @Benny.

You're touching on problems that seem to be plaguing many fandom(s) across the board at the moment. I can't say I've loved every creative choice made by my favorite franchises over the last decade, but I also can't imagine harboring the levels of anger and personal entitlement some seem to have toward these properties.

I do think that many of those people mean well. I really do want to believe that. We're all fans, we all love these things for some reason, and I think we share a common denominator of just wanting the best experience possible.

And I'm not excusing poor creative or business decisions that have a tangible affect on films like this. They happen. All the time. It can be an unfortunate and absolutely grueling process.

But my hope would be that if folks have strong negative feelings toward a franchise they say they love, they can find a better way to deal with them than just flaming the property online.

I say -- use it. Channel it. Take that energy and create something of value for yourself, or for others. The irony in today's world is that we all can participate in that process if we don't like the way something's going. The tools are everywhere. But I guess it just seems (unfortunately) easier to express one's own feelings by standing on the shoulders of those who've given real emotion and effort to the attempt and trying to tear them down.
  • RC7RC7
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Bravo, @Benny.

You're touching on problems that seem to be plaguing many fandom(s) across the board at the moment. I can't say I've loved every creative choice made by my favorite franchises over the last decade, but I also can't imagine harboring the levels of anger and personal entitlement some seem to have toward these properties.

I do think that many of those people mean well. I really do want to believe that. We're all fans, we all love these things for some reason, and I think we share a common denominator of just wanting the best experience possible.

And I'm not excusing poor creative or business decisions that have a tangible affect on films like this. They happen. All the time. It can be an unfortunate and absolutely grueling process.

But my hope would be that if folks have strong negative feelings toward a franchise they say they love, they can find a better way to deal with them than just flaming the property online.

I say -- use it. Channel it. Take that energy and create something of value for yourself, or for others. The irony in today's world is that we all can participate in that process if we don't like the way something's going. The tools are everywhere. But I guess it just seems (unfortunately) easier to express one's own feelings by standing on the shoulders of those who've given real emotion and effort to the attempt and trying to tear them down.

Spot on.
    The thing is, from 1962 - 1989 there was only ever a gap longer than 2 years once. One time. So there was no reason to doubt there would be another Bond film around the corner. Nowadays there is so much uncertainty that wasn't there before, and blaming the fans seems unfair. Sometimes the people in charge, the ones calling the shots, are the ones who should be responsible when the s### hits the fan. But EON never appear to be at fault. Today it's the fans, tomorrow it's journalists, or perhaps investors. Who knows.

The thing to remember, when it comes to the fans, is that for some of us the problems didn't just start in the last few years. Some have an easier time seeing the faults in CR QoS and SF, and for them the series has needed a change for far longer. The latest run of films have their unique set of merits, but for some they just didn't do it for them. All they are really calling for is a change of direction, which it's believed is long overdue. Thats a valid opinion. Not millenial entitlement, it's just people voicing their perspective. After over a decade, what may have seemed fresh and exciting to begin with is no longer so, and waiting still longer for more of the same is, too some, taking the Mickey.