Bond 25 (and Beyond) directors you consider. This can be directors, second Unit Director or D.O.P.

Comments

The suit looks like Bond, the face doesn´t.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    I would like Nolan's brother writing a bond script than him directing one.If Nolan going to direct then it shouldn't be a Nolan's bond trilogy.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Doesn't get mentioned very much on here, but what about Mr. Ritchie
    Guy-Ritchie-James-Bond-main.jpg
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241

I've got the impression he's not very well liked around these parts. I quite like his films, and would prefer him to many other just as - or bigger names. He would make Bond entertaining for sure.

I've got the impression he's not very well liked around these parts. I quite like his films, and would prefer him to many other just as - or bigger names. He would make Bond entertaining for sure.

It's easy to hate on a talented guy, who's had a few stinkers. But talented he certainly is and a Brit through and through. It'd be different and definitely entertaining, as you stated.

It's easy to hate on a talented guy, who's had a few stinkers. But talented he certainly is and a Brit through and through. It'd be different and definitely entertaining, as you stated.

I think people can't see past the London gangster, "Lock, Stock" or whatever aspects they associate with him. U.N.C.L.E was fun and stylish, and showed he's able to do spy films as well.

I think people can't see past the London gangster, "Lock, Stock" or whatever aspects they associate with him. U.N.C.L.E was fun and stylish, and showed he's able to do spy films as well.

You're probaby right, but to me that's a simplistic way of viewing Lock Stock. How those people perceive it I mean. In its core it's a brilliant film, which means the director has managed to produce a fantastic film, which in itself means he has the quality to produce another fantastic film, quite possibly. Ritchie managed to do that with Snatch and then his hunger fizzled out somewhat. Regarding U.N.C.L.E you're right on the money, he still has it and definitely the credentials to give Bond a try.

You're probaby right, but to me that's a simplistic way of viewing Lock Stock. How those people perceive it I mean. In its core it's a brilliant film, which means the director has managed to produce a fantastic film, which in itself means he has the quality to produce another fantastic film, quite possibly. Ritchie managed to do that with Snatch and then his hunger fizzled out somewhat. Regarding U.N.C.L.E you're right on the money, he still has it and definitely the credentials to give Bond a try.

Definitely agree. As you've probably noticed by now (on the production thread), Ritchie isn't a name that's well received here. I still really love his films, from Lock Stock to U.N.C.L.E. It's not like his films are any lesser in say, the writing department, compared to some of the more recent Bond films, for example (some might argue).

I'm sure if he somehow got the chance to do a Bond film, that he'd stick to the "template" sort of speak, and not try to make it a London gangster film, which I get the impression some people here feels he would do.

Definitely agree. As you've probably noticed by now (on the production thread), Ritchie isn't a name that's well received here. I still really love his films, from Lock Stock to U.N.C.L.E. It's not like his films are any lesser in say, the writing department, compared to some of the more recent Bond films, for example (some might argue).

I'm sure if he somehow got the chance to do a Bond film, that he'd stick to the "template" sort of speak, and not try to make it a London gangster film, which I get the impression some people here feels he would do.

Indeed, I concur. Also, he'd be kept on quite a tight leash, i.e. the producers. He sometimes has the vision of an auteur and I reckon he could incorporate it here and there but in a nuanced manner. And sure, we as Bond aficionados have strong opinions, the most of us anyway. At least we both agree Ritchie has quality and wouldn't be a wrong choice to give Bond 25 a whirl. Oh well :)
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    A name I would like to add to my previous top 5 list: Wong Kar-wai. He can handle drama (In the Mood for Love), he can handle comedy (Chungking Express - not an outright comedy, but full of great comedic elements), he can handle action (The Grandmaster).

Indeed, I concur. Also, he'd be kept on quite a tight leash, i.e. the producers. He sometimes has the vision of an auteur and I reckon he could incorporate it here and there but in a nuanced manner. And sure, we as Bond aficionados have strong opinions, the most of us anyway. At least we both agree Ritchie has quality and wouldn't be a wrong choice to give Bond 25 a whirl. Oh well :)

If he could do a Bond films that taps into classic Bond territory, while adding a bit of snappy dialogue and a bit of fun, then I think he could be a decent choice. Can't see it happening with Craig as Bond, though. He's probably not auteur enough for this era.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Wasn't Ritchie one of the rumored directors for Bond 24? Along with Ang Lee.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I myself can’t stand the mans films. He’s too stylish I feel for bond. It would be like if Mathew Vaughn directed a bond film. Too much style, it would mess with the tone of the bond universe
    I myself can’t stand the mans films. He’s too stylish I feel for bond. It would be like if Mathew Vaughn directed a bond film. Too much style, it would mess with the tone of the bond universe
    I´m not much for or against Ritchie. I can´t really imagine how a Ritchie Bond film would look like. I certainly wouldn´t want his signature back or forward flashes. On the other hand, I am among those few who thorroughly enjoyed King Arthur Legend of the Sword.
    Matthew Vaughn got less interesting with every film he made. I still love and adore Layer Cake, but after that I liked each consecutive film of his less.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Cary Fukunaga.
    Although I liked Sherlock Holmes/TMFU/king Arthur but Ritchie bond will scared the living daylights out of fans for being too cheesy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Mendes4Lyfe , I am unable to quote your post from The Production Thread directly here, but you raise an interesting point about Demange's new project. I'm not sure when that will start filming, but presumably if he has a chance to do Bond he will push the Ken Loach effort back. He has to do some promotion for White Boy Rick too, and as I mentioned on that thread I think that will take at least a month as the film rolls out to other territories.

I notice he doesn't comment on B25 in that article below, and I wonder if he was asked about it. His silence is perhaps telling (still in the mix?)

Perhaps his busy schedule is a reason for why the producers are considering Clarkson and Layton also?

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/comment/916362/#Comment_916362

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/white-boy-rick-director-adapting-ken-loach-film-1141232
    Although I liked Sherlock Holmes/TMFU/king Arthur but Ritchie bond will scared the living daylights out of fans for being too cheesy.

Back to the Moore days then? ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Steven Soderbergh, then? He'll make a cracking James Bond film without coming off as an imitator nor one who'd play safe. I'm fully sold on Soderbergh, if he puts his heart and soul into making a very solid James Bond thriller.
    Steven Soderbergh, then? He'll make a cracking James Bond film without coming off as an imitator nor one who'd play safe. I'm fully sold on Soderbergh, if he puts his heart and soul into making a very solid James Bond thriller.

Soderbergh would be a great choice! Really liked what he did with Haywire.

I've always felt that Soderbergh would make a wonderful low key Bond as well. He really has a way with characters. Out of Sight is such a great film and I think 'coolness' is something he will definitely impart to a Bond flick.

I will say that I didn't like Logan Lucky though.

I just think he's done with studio films to begin with, and probably won't touch a Bond as a result.
    Yeah, Soderbergh would never happen unless he decides to come back to studio filmmaking. Plus - I believe I already mentioned this - he's shooting The Laundromat with Meryl Street sometime this autumn.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,007

I liked what he did in Haywire. In Haywire.

Soderbergh is an interesting choice but I find his style of shooting action very simple and almost quirky in a way. It's kinetically edited rather than being cinematically shot. It works for some things very well, such as the brawl between Carano and Fassbender in the Shelbourne Hotel room. Other times, not so much - I'm thinking of the rooftop chase stuff, which was neat but didn't exactly get my pulse racing.

On the flipside, he does have a good grasp of character and can do both humorous and straight up grim stories. He also has a good ear for music. Nearly all of his flicks have stellar scores that are very evocative and enhance the film's atmosphere -
    Haywire being no exception there. Really fun score.

I'm not sure he'd be a good fit, but there are worse choices out there.

Soderbergh is an interesting choice but I find his style of shooting action very simple and almost quirky in a way. It's kinetically edited rather than being cinematically shot. It works for some things very well, such as the brawl between Carano and Fassbender in the Shelbourne Hotel room. Other times, not so much - I'm thinking of the rooftop chase stuff, which was neat but didn't exactly get my pulse racing.

On the flipside, he does have a good grasp of character and can do both humorous and straight up grim stories. He also has a good ear for music. Nearly all of his flicks have stellar scores that are very evocative and enhance the film's atmosphere -

Similar to Boyle then? Some of these points apply to him as well.

The Carano/Fassbender fight is one for the ages imho. Brutal but also stylish. I'd love to see something as good in B25.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »

The Carano/Fassbender fight is one for the ages imho. Brutal but also stylish. I'd love to see something as good in B25.

Absolutely. And one of the few valid worries amongst many positives that having Boyle on board brought with him. Though I'd argue that Boyle has a more kinetic shot style depending on the project whereas Soderbergh has been a bit more consistent in his blocking and staging.

Absolutely. And one of the few valid worries amongst many positives that having Boyle on board brought with him. Though I'd argue that Boyle has a more kinetic shot style depending on the project whereas Soderbergh has been a bit more consistent in his blocking and staging.
    I agree, good point. I think Soderbergh tends to also work with more established stars normally, whereas Boyle tends to go with a lot of newbies.

I've always felt that Soderbergh would make a wonderful low key Bond as well. He really has a way with characters. Out of Sight is such a great film and I think 'coolness' is something he will definitely impart to a Bond flick.

I will say that I didn't like Logan Lucky though.

I just think he's done with studio films to begin with, and probably won't touch a Bond as a result.

I agree; "coolness" is one of the keywords I would associate with Soderbergh. He's been approached twice apparently:
    "Over the years, I’ve been in conversations…I’ve been approached twice about doing a Bond film. And it never quite got anywhere. And [‘Haywire’] in some ways, was my opportunity to do what I would do with a Bond movie.”

Maybe if EON approached him at the right time, he'd be up for it?
    I wasn´t too fond of Haywire. At all, I find the comparison with Boyle realistic, yet at the same time I was much more entertained by nearly all I´ve seen by Boyle, while Soderbergh feels pretty overrated to me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I wasn´t too fond of Haywire. At all, I find the comparison with Boyle realistic, yet at the same time I was much more entertained by nearly all I´ve seen by Boyle, while Soderbergh feels pretty overrated to me.
    Completely the other way around with me.
    I believe it's going to be Kathryn bigelow being associated with Annapurna but other Considerable choices could be- Michael Mann and if one wants an action packed finale for DC then Antonie fuqua(I loved what he did with shooter).