No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2018 Posts: 12,459
    THIS. THREAD.
    I have never been ashamed of this site before, but I am now.
    Honestly, as suggested earlier, we need this thread closed temporarily.

What has happened to so many of you? There are a few really sane voices posting intelligent and thoughtful (or even fun) posts, yes and I thank those members - but so much of this is just negative crap. Again and again. It has not gotten better. Even when a good comment is made it is mostly ignored. People are not communicating here, they are venting with deaf ears.

@ColonelSun and @peter have been giving us information that is valid, reasonable, what is actually the current state of affairs (@RC7 also) - but their words are not even being really heard. People talk right over them and move on, like they are deaf because everybody else on here is screaming into the wind. Yes, a few members have responded well. But this thread is a hot mess and damn close to being embarrassing for the biggest and I think longest-running James Bond website in the world.

Is this how social media has shoehorned communication into being? We end up like this? Deaf lemmings going over Hateful Hill? Led by two or three Bond "fans" so steeped in bile they cannot speak without foaming at the lips? Or by bland repeaters who only love the sound of their own words?

I sincerely appreciate @ColonelSun coming here and trying valiantly to actually give balanced, accurate, and thoughtful comments in replies. Just look at the past 6 pages or so to see the hamster wheel this thread has become.

I always thought this was a good, even important thread to have. It should be. But it has been hijacked. Temporary closing is my suggestion.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    The question is: how many TV directors made an impressing big budget directorial debut on the big screen?

Joss Whedon, Alan Taylor, Edgar Wright, Mimi Leder, Robert Altman, and an unknown fella called Steven Spielberg. All cut their teeth on a variety of TV productions for years before transitioning over into the big leagues. I'm fairly sure three or four of those names made quite a splash with their debut and sophomore features.

That Columbo episode (Murder by the Book) comes to mind re. Spielberg.

Spielberg earlier directed a segment of the pilot for Night Gallery (with Joan Crawford). Also before that Columbo episode, I think that was his first professional directing credit. Spielberg directed an episode of The Name of the Game (a weekly, 90-minute series) titled LA 2017, where intrepid publisher Glenn Howard (Gene Barry) may or may not have traveled into a Dystopian future. (a sort of Twilight Zone effect).

After the Columbo episode, he directed a TV movie called Duel.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Regarding closing the thread: I respectfully disagree, @4EverBonded. The discussion just needs to play out and realign when real developments are available. If a poster is offensive and doesn't follow mod direction, that can be easily dealt with.

For perspective, the overwhelming negative force I see on the board are the chronically negative references to Spectre. I'm more than tired of being a straight line to someone posting they don't like Spectre. It's almost like Tourette Syndrome at times, unrelated to discussion.

But TheBruce abides. BOND 25. Very much looking forward to it.
    White_Russian_25436.png
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I think closing it for a short period of time is fine. When a tea kettle is boiling over, you turn the heat down. Not let it keep wheezing until your ear drum ruptures.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    This thread is definitely a study in psychology.
    What about Simon West. he wouldn't be too bad plus he worked with Craig on tomb raider.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    What about Simon West. he wouldn't be too bad plus he worked with Craig on tomb raider.

He knows how to put a crazy action scene together, anyway. For some reason I always thought he was American, but he's English.
    West fits the bill perfectly.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    This thread has become a mess.
    No news....Just wait till we get some. It's called patience.
    EON are to blame...Why? They don't have to explain themselves to anyone.
    The wrong directors are being touted / Losing Boyle and getting a TV director is a big step backward...

Before GE, Martin Campbell was known only for his TV work. In which he was highly regarded. Save a few unforgettable movie jobs...No Escape.

Before TND, Roger Spottiswoode's credits included, Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot, Air America and Turner and Hooch!

Before TWINE, Michael Apted was known mostly for his documentary film work.

Before DAD, Lee Tamahori's biggest hit was Once Were Warriors, The Edge and an episode of The Sopranos

Before QOS, Marc Forster had done a couple of acclaimed films in Monsters Ball and Finding Neverland. But not a director one might associate with Bond.

Before SF, Sam Mendes had five directorial credits. American Pie, Road To Perdition, Jarhead, Revolutionary Road and Away we go. All well received, and by rights SF show's off his skill as a director.

However, the much loved and praised Martin Campbell started off as a TV director. And as you can see many of the directors of Bond films since GE, have a very mixed bag resume.

So before some of you make complaints about news not coming on a daily basis.
    Or that the right film makers aren't being sourced by EON.
    Or that Barbara Broccoli has ruined EON.
    Broccoli started in the Bond franchise at the age of 17, working in the publicity department of The Spy Who Loved Me. Six years later, she became an assistant director on 1983's Octopussy. Soon after, she progressed to become an associate producer of the film The Living Daylights in 1987.
    However, her most notable role has been as a producer of the Bond films starring Pierce Brosnan and later Daniel Craig. From Wikipedia.
    Despite what some feel toward her, she earned her place at EON. And has worked hard to keep the series going with stepbrother Michael G Wilson. EON owe us hard core Bond fans nothing.
    It's sad that some great members feel the need to leave or not post because a few childish and immature members don't get their way. Some of you need to grow up.

Within the space of about 8 hours 173 new posts appeared on this thread. Hardly any news to be concerned about.
    Spamming, trolling and baiting other members will not be tolerated. I suggest some of you think, before you post.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Benny wrote: »
    The wrong directors are being touted / Losing Boyle and getting a TV director is a big step backward...

Before GE, Martin Campbell was known only for his TV work. In which he was highly regarded. Save a few unforgettable movie jobs...No Escape.

Before TND, Roger Spottiswoode's credits included, Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot, Air America and Turner and Hooch!

Before DAD, Lee Tamahori's biggest hit was Once Were Warriors, The Edge and an episode of The Sopranos

Before QOS, Marc Forster had done a couple of acclaimed films in Monsters Ball and Finding Neverland. But not a director one might associate with Bond.

Before SF, Sam Mendes had five directorial credits. American Pie, Road To Perdition, Jarhead, Revolutionary Road and Away we go. All well received, and by rights SF show's off his skill as a director.

However, the much loved and praised Martin Campbell started off as a TV director. And as you can see many of the directors of Bond films since GE, have a very mixed bag resume.

Broccoli started in the Bond franchise at the age of 17, working in the publicity department of The Spy Who Loved Me. Six years later, she became an assistant director on 1983's Octopussy. Soon after, she progressed to become an associate producer of the film The Living Daylights in 1987.
    However, her most notable role has been as a producer of the Bond films starring Pierce Brosnan and later Daniel Craig. From Wikipedia.
    Despite what some feel toward her, she earned her place at EON. And has worked hard to keep the series going with stepbrother Michael G Wilson. EON owe us hard core Bond fans nothing.
    It's sad that some great members feel the need to leave or not post because a few childish and immature members don't get their way. Some of you need to grow up.

Within the space of about 8 hours 173 new posts appeared on this thread. Hardly any news to be concerned about.
    Spamming, trolling and baiting other members will not be tolerated. I suggest some of you think, before you post.

Well said, @Benny.
  • I’m with those who agree that a woman should not direct a Bond film. Bond is a man’s world and should stay that way. No offense to any ladies out there. But there are plenty other genres out there for women to direct.
  • I’m with those who agree that a woman should not direct a Bond film. Bond is a man’s world and should stay that way. No offense to any ladies out there. But there are plenty other genres out there for women to direct.

Heaven forbid one becomes a Bond producer one day!
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Getting back on to the topic of Bond25.

https://t.co/3VnIpjMU3X?amp=1

I am really excited by this choice of actor.
  • vzok wrote: »
    In light of the tremendous success of the last 3 M:I films which are in equal measure well-made films as well as very rewatchable and entertaining, what would you say were the last 3 Bond films (that’s 3 in a row) that could compare in terms of excitement and rewatchability?

I’d probably have to go back to TLD-LTK-GE. All 3 are well-made with a great story and very entertaining and rewatchable. Even though admittedly LTK is the weaker of those 3 and doesn’t crack my top 10 (the other 2 do). And even though at times LTK lacks that Bond flavor and feels a bit too “American action” it still packs a punch in the action department and has an engaging story and is rewatchable. Plus it beautifully ended the Cubby era with that lovely closing ballad by Patti LaBelle. That song always gets me.

Unfortunately since then we haven’t had a three-peat like this. TND is fun and rewatchable but TWINE unfortunately is not (despite having a stronger story). CR and SF are sabotaged by QOS. And then there’s SP :(

Bond needs to find its mojo the way M:I has done.

A lot of the upswing in MI has been the focus upon high octane stunts and action, largely performed by Cruise. I don't think any other series will be able to (or should try to) match this.

I don't think Bond should ever be all out action anyway. So they need to concentrate on what makes Bond a different and unique series, and do that to the absolute best.
    I wasn’t saying that Bond needs to be as action packed as M:I or that a Bond actor should do his own stunts a la Cruise. I was just asking when was the last time that we had 3 very satisfying Bond films in a row, the way the last 3 M:I films have been. It doesn’t even have to be based on action. Just overall satisfied - as a compete package. For me I’d have to go back to TLD-LTK-GE. After these 3 I’ve noticed that for every peak there seemed to be a valley. This is very unfortunate. Which is why I maintain that the Cubby era was just superior in every way to the post-Cubby era. Sure, Cubby had some crazy ideas (Burt Reynolds as Bond anyone??) and luckily we were spared some of them, but whatever we weren’t spared (and I can’t think of any) the positives overwhelmingly outweighed the negatives. Most of all the films were FUN, GRAND ENTERTAINMENT!

I’m just curious what are the last 3 consecutive Bond films that you really enjoyed.

• From a critical standpoint, the last time Bond had three films in a row with over 90% acclaim was Dr. No through Goldfinger.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    If they hire SJ Clarkson, it's game over. Barbara, I'm begging you, please choose someone else!
    peter wrote: »
    OwenDavian wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed FYEO vs. Raiders / Craig/SP Bashing Production Diary

You're correct.

The sane voices have gone running for the hills.

The rest have stayed.

Which is my way of saying: I'm out.

My manager's wife was one of the producers on American Animals, which means, I've been told a little more of the insight that goes into EoN approaching a director and why.

We have Colonel Sun, kicked in the goolies every time he comes on. He's just telling it like it is; but there's one voice that whips up a frothing frenzy, with his three or four disciples. CS has clarified everything-- and has done so for weeks-- but is only now believed (and vindicated) because Variety and James Bond Live reports it is so. He's been saying everything, all of this (against the grain of losing release dates, re-boots and all of that nonsense), the entire time. He has, in other words, been the most consistent voice on this thread.

In the past, the Colonel's been called a liar; more recently some smart ass said he had said nothing new. Wow, how insulting to @ColonelSun...

@RC7 has rightly said there is plenty of news.... And he's right.

But as @RC7 has pointed out, the peeps who don't want to hear the news are either A$$holes or; they've got nothing more going in their lives beside this forum.

This thread has been turned into an attack on Craig and BB, and on some woman-- who's talented enough to make it in an unforgiving business-- because of her glasses... Seriously??? Her glasses??? Jesus-- Too much from those who know too little.

There are so many great people on this forum, from the Mods to the people who PM'd the Colonel and myself. But the vocal minority has twisted this thread (and others) into a clusterf&*K.

I'll sign in to read the voices of the friends I've made. But, to the happiness of some, I have nothing more to add to this dialogue.

Best of luck.

I can always be reached at [email protected]

P

@peter, sorry to see you go. Your insights and levelheadedness are always appreciated. (And FWIW, you're not the only one who has been complaining to TPTB here...this thread has become a mess.)
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Bentley007 wrote: »

He seems like an interesting choice, liked him in Wonder Woman. However, it seems strange that he would casually drop it, as I would assume EON would take steps to ensure that the cast isn’t revealing themselves until the film’s first press conference.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think it's important to remember that one of the most polarizing Bond films - one which has regrettably had a negative impact on this community since its release and put members at each others throat - was made by a famed Oscar winning director who had previously made one of the most critically acclaimed and most successful Bond films of all time. Pretty much the same team returned for the sequel as well. So experience and reputation perhaps isn't all it's cracked up to be.

At the end of the day we don't really know what the concept or scope for B25 is. If it's suitably scaled down, then I don't see why a 'mere tv director' (**cool it - I'm just playing around**) can't handle it.

There is the less impactful marketing element on account of a 'no name' of course. Having said that, I didn't really think Boyle made too many waves when he was announced either despite his bona fides, and actually mentioned that prior to his departure. Clarkson, as a woman in a charged environment, may actually create some positive press and marketing for a while. I'm not saying she should be hired because of her sex, but I don't think it will hurt either.

Expectations are high. The film will have to deliver. I think they need someone who can bring the best out of the cast, and they have to ensure such cast is top notch too, because that will be a key element in getting people excited for this film given they haven't recast Bond (yes I realize he has his fans, but there's a few of us and the general public who want a change too). Hire a good cinematographer and decent composer, and you're off to the races. Looking forward to some announcements shortly.

Oh and I'm not the biggest fan of Guy Ritchie, but don't think he's all bad. He's made some decent films in his day.

Agreed, your comments are always helpful.
  • Bentley007 wrote: »

I'm shocked he can just reveal it like that.

But if legit then I'm glad we are getting a fresh lead villain instead of the return of Blofeld.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Excuse me, but there's one critical piece of information we may have overlooked. Yann Demange, Bond 25 prospect has signed to another project.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/white-boy-rick-director-adapting-ken-loach-film-1141232

So, if This Demange character is to be engaged with Bond from December onwards, then presumably the Ken Loach project must come either before or after? Does this hint that Yann could be busy during the period when Bond is set to be filmed?

Just a thought.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’m with those who agree that a woman should not direct a Bond film. Bond is a man’s world and should stay that way. No offense to any ladies out there. But there are plenty other genres out there for women to direct.

Heaven forbid one becomes a Bond producer one day!

This! I think it would be really interesting the idea of a Bond movie directed by a woman, if she fits the job.

I'm shocked he can just reveal it like that.

But if legit then I'm glad we are getting a fresh lead villain instead of the return of Blofeld.

I don't think he's legit. It's 100% just clickbait. He said Boyle was the one who choose him. But wasn't Boyle the one who wanted a Russian villain played by Tomasz Kot?

I think they'll go with a more A-list profile for the lead villain.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

If he is a possibility then I'd be on board with this, he's great in La Haine in a early role although it's Three Kings that shows his potential, he's quite chilling in that role not really familiar of recent but he definitely as potential to be a very interesting villain

Interesting possibility definitely.

@Benny well said.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    A couple of things to remember for those who where concerned about someone who is primarily known for TV shows directing. Whilst I do agree, doing things like Life On Mars doesn't exactly scream Bond....

Peter Hunt was an editor, and had never directed before OHMSS. And it's one of the best Bond films.

John Glen had only directed a couple of second unit scenes before he took over and directed 5 Bond films. And they where all at least decent, a couple where excellent.

And the production times where even shorter in those days, when we had the two year cycle.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Benny wrote: »

Well said, @Benny, I agree that the intelligent shouldn´t leave the playground completely to the fools, but I think the problem is that this thread for many recently feels like a road so speckled with horse manure it has become hard to walk around it. Not much fun. Those who irritate the most do so because they give a strong impression of being not well-informed, while at the same time propagating vehemently strong opinions in a rather aggressive way and directly and more than sometimes aggressively opposing some members who actually do give the impression of being not only well-informed but having closer and more reliable access to information. As @4EverBonded so aptly put it, communication gets lost.

IMO it would be helpful if everyone behaved more respectfully towards one another, and would see to it that his own formulations provoke a healthy exchange of opinion instead of heated arguments. Usually one can see how people react to ones posts if one watches it a bit. It´s much more fun like that, and it leads to a much better informed community.
    Human relationships will perhaps always include rubbing someone else the wrong way, but even that can be used to further friendship, when one realises that the other thinks and most of all feels in a different way than oneself, and acknowledges that towards him. I´ve seen many times on these forums how long a way a simple "sorry I misunderstood you" ( even when there´s not much the person should say sorry for) goes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    As long as some members fail to address the preproduction turmoil of a film they themselves are neither involved in nor have anything substantial to say about in a civilised way, this thread must briefly be put on ice.

What is happening here? We have time and again made explicit the single purpose of this thread, which is to archive news and comment on that news but in a pleasant environment. And yet, the kindergarten mentality of "my opinion is better than yours" has taken over, with force, and some of our members just can't see how utterly silly it is to quarrel and bicker over a Bond film that hasn't even been made yet. Serious and intelligent people are staying away from this thread as long as hotheaded thread hooligans with an obvious bloodthirst reign supreme.

We are closing this thread for a couple of days so the hotheads can blow off some steam elsewhere, remove the digital gunpowder from their keyboard and contemplate the true intentions of our FLAG system.

This thread will be back.

The Mod Team
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Thread has been re-opened. Please keep immaturity at a minimum. Any spam comments will be removed. Thanks.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    edited September 2018 Posts: 464
    Glad that this thread has been reopened in my opinion I think demange is playing it coy at best I truly believe he will direct bond 25 same goes with said taghmaoui.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Any director that has got the job won't be able to say anything until an official announcement is made.
    Any director that has got the job won't be able to say anything until an official announcement is made.

I used to think that but Boyle was quite open about it before being officially announced
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    bondbat007 wrote: »

I used to think that but Boyle was quite open about it before being officially announced

I can't remember how Boyle potential appointment broke, was it to do with his script/story ideas? I don't spend much time on this thread :)