No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    matt_u wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    2018. Wake up.

I'm not saying someone like Clarkson couldn't deliver a good Bond movie. No one can know, in fact. I'm saying that the idea of a Bond movie IN 2018 made by someone who never made a feature film in her life it's a long shot. If you look at the best blockbuster ever made (especially in this era of over saturated blockbuster franchises) they always have a strong director with a clear, strong and personal vision behind it. Assuming as a fact that any TV director could deliver a great movie of this size just because in 2018 TV is no more just soap opera crap it's also wrong.

Yes, there are people like Peter Jackson who directed TLotR after some small horror b-movies, but it was a dream project for him, something he worked on for a decade. This scenario here is very different, with pre-production and script polishing goin on without even a director 3/4 months from principal photography.

Nobody is assuming that it's going to be great. The issue here is that some people have already assumed that it won't be. Of course it could turn out to be rubbish. Anything could happen. Spectre had an Oscar-winning director coming back from the most successful Bond film in 40 years, and look how that turned out.

Throwing out things like "TV directors wouldn't be able to handle the schedule" just makes you look ignorant. I mean that in the nicest way possible considering how this thread has riled me today.

Mods: apologies for the language slips earlier. Though, to my credit, the first drafts were far cussier.

Well, to me Spectre turned out great. But we're not talking about tastes right?

And I never talked just about "schedule issues", come on. Read again my comments. If you think directing something like Collateral in London presents the same issues that directing a globetrotting 200 million dollars movie (debut) with hundreds and hundreds of employees working with more experienced people than you, plus all the pressure that a Bond movie carries on the shoulder of a director, well fine. To me, this assumption sounds also a little naive.

The best thing we can do is waiting for an announcement. Ah, and I never assumed B25 it's not goin to be great.

Never said it presented the same issues. It presents many different issues, both more difficult and easier. The point is that a TV director is most often just as capable as a feature film director when it comes down to it. They just make 8-13 hours of a season in 8 months, as opposed to 2 and a bit hours in the same amount of time.

Directors don't take charge of every employee on the shoot. They can interact with them all if they want to, but they can do their job exceptionally well without knowing the numbers of people employed. Production is a machine. On the set, on the day, it makes little difference. I've known some directors who come in and just work with the key crew, because that's all that's needed to get the job done well.

And even numbers were relevant, do you think Jessica Jones or a BBC/Netflix co-production is made with a skeleton crew? Come on man. If you don't want her to direct, that's fine. But the reasons being put forward as to why she shouldn't are pure poppycock.

And again, you seem to think that Bond is the only series that puts pressure on the director. Talk about naive.
    They are surely going to make some sort of statement shortly?!!!!!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 214
    To be honest I'm not particularly keen on a woman directing Bond

God I hope we got some real news soon. Can't take much more of this sewer talk.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    2018. Wake up.

I'm not saying someone like Clarkson couldn't deliver a good Bond movie. No one can know, in fact. I'm saying that the idea of a Bond movie IN 2018 made by someone who never made a feature film in her life it's a long shot. If you look at the best blockbuster ever made (especially in this era of over saturated blockbuster franchises) they always have a strong director with a clear, strong and personal vision behind it. Assuming as a fact that any TV director could deliver a great movie of this size just because in 2018 TV is no more just soap opera crap it's also wrong.

Yes, there are people like Peter Jackson who directed TLotR after some small horror b-movies, but it was a dream project for him, something he worked on for a decade. This scenario here is very different, with pre-production and script polishing goin on without even a director 3/4 months from principal photography.

Nobody is assuming that it's going to be great. The issue here is that some people have already assumed that it won't be. Of course it could turn out to be rubbish. Anything could happen. Spectre had an Oscar-winning director coming back from the most successful Bond film in 40 years, and look how that turned out.

Throwing out things like "TV directors wouldn't be able to handle the schedule" just makes you look ignorant. I mean that in the nicest way possible considering how this thread has riled me today.

Mods: apologies for the language slips earlier. Though, to my credit, the first drafts were far cussier.

I'd be interested to know where @matt_u is qualified to question the @ColonelSun but then why again should I bother we are living in a time where utter novices can talk down people of experience.

Also I apply this to things happening in other than a world of a Bond internet forum.

If @matt_u is part of the industry I of course apologise.

We're talking about possibilities here. As I said before I'm no producer but you don't need to work in the industry to understand that assuming as a fact that any TV director could deliver a great movie of this size just because in 2018 TV is no more just soap opera crap it's a really long shot.

Clutching at straws, I think is the term.

Or just poor comprehension on your part. Far more accurate, I would say.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Been gone for about 3 hours and 114 new comments and thought there'd be actual news. Nope just more rigamaroll
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Maybe it should be time to put it on temporary lock until we get something substantial to talk about rather than put up with the fecal matter constantly swirling around the broken toilet.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Been gone for about 3 hours and 114 new comments and thought there'd be actual news. Nope just more rigamaroll

Blame EON. If they had gotten to Bond 25 sooner, all this could have been avoided.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    OwenDavian wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not particularly keen on a woman directing Bond 25 and that is my opinion I stand by. Bond is a man's man in a small testosterone fueled world. A woman directing a Bond film sounds like a politically correct gimmick to me, especially in this day and age, to cater to certain 'movements'. There is a reason most boys, when they're young, play with guns and are rowdy in general and the majority of women aren't. I don't know of any female director who is particularly keen on Bond, car chases, seducing women, to name a few.

Kathryn Bigelow and Patty Jenkins to name two.

Based on what films exactly? That abomination called Wonder Woman I had to turn off due to its complete lack of quality? Bigelow comes close, to decent-ish action that is, but Bond is a different animal. She's also expressed she has no interest in Bond, so that's that.
  • RC7RC7
    So what’s the issue here - that a TV director cannot transition to a big franchise film, or that now is not a preferable time? I can’t tell in amongst the dung.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    BB is incompetent? How on earth could that be true? And, as I have already tried to explain, going in a new direction for a new director is not downgrading. A top level TV director knows how to step into an advanced production. Can u comprehend that?
    Are you seriously claiming going from the great Danny Boyle to a complete nobody is not downgrading? You can't possibly be serious. Even Demange would be a downgrade and Demange is MILES above SJ Clarkson. I'm sure even Brabra Broccoli, MGW and Daniel Craig would admit it in private that hiring any of these directors after Danny Boyle is a downgrade.
    RC7 wrote: »
    So what’s the issue here - that a TV director cannot transition to a big franchise film, or that now is not a preferable time? I can’t tell in amongst the dung.
    The issue is that the Bond franchise should be at this point in time (after hiring Mendes and Boyle) above hiring TV directors who never directed a theatrical feature.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,009

The first one, accompanied by an incredible ignorance towards production and filmmaking in general.

I've said everything I could possibly say, so from here I'll be fading back into the background. It makes me irrationally wish that there was an interview process for people who want to join the forums.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Close the thread for a while please. This is getting out of hand. Children need to be put in time out.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Close the thread for a while please. This is getting out of hand. Children need to be put in time out.
    I will never understand this mindset. Nobody is forcing you to read this thread. Why do you want to deprive others of the possibility to comment here?
    Murdock wrote: »
    I will never understand.

Ain't that the truth. Adios.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    2018. Wake up.

And I never talked just about "schedule issues", come on. Read again my comments. If you think directing something like Collateral in London presents the same issues that directing a globetrotting 200 million dollars movie (debut) with hundreds and hundreds of employees working with more experienced people than you, plus all the pressure that a Bond movie carries on the shoulder of a director, well fine. To me, this assumption sounds also a little naive.

The best thing we can do is waiting for an announcement. Ah, and I never assumed B25 it's not goin to be great.

Never said it presented the same issues. It presents many different issues, both more difficult and easier. The point is that a TV director is most often just as capable as a feature film director when it comes down to it. They just make 8-13 hours of a season in 8 months, as opposed to 2 and a bit hours in the same amount of time.

Directors don't take charge of every employee on the shoot. They can interact with them all if they want to, but they can do their job exceptionally well without knowing the numbers of people employed. Production is a machine. On the set, on the day, it makes little difference. I've known some directors who come in and just work with the key crew, because that's all that's needed to get the job done well.

And even numbers were relevant, do you think Jessica Jones or a BBC/Netflix co-production is made with a skeleton crew? Come on man. If you don't want her to direct, that's fine. But the reasons being put forward as to why she shouldn't are pure poppycock.

And again, you seem to think that Bond is the only series that puts pressure on the director. Talk about naive.

I never said I don't want her. I just shared my perplexities given the fact that her background experience doesn't get me excited about the idea of a Clarkson's Bond movie. I would like B25 to be great and I never saw a great, memorable film of this scale directed by someone with her credentials. Let's hope she'll be better than, uhm, Alan Taylor then.

@Shardlake Man I never "questioned" Colonel. We just normally spoke about this topic here. We're talking about possibilities. It's possible that a TV director will make her directorial debut with a great Bond film? YES. Sometimes miracles happens. But it's also NOT possible. IF she'll get the job, we'll see. ;)

As I said before, if she'll direct the film I'll be her best supporter.
    2018. Wake up.

I never said I don't want her. I just shared my perplexities given the fact that her background experience doesn't get me excited about the idea of a Clarkson's Bond movie. I would like B25 to be great and I never saw a great, memorable film of this scale directed by someone with her credentials.

That's fine. Thanks for clarifying. It didn't read like that, especially considering whose opinion you were bolstering in the process.

I was merely explaining that the perplexities are from a place of ill-informed information which made it seem like directing mid-budget franchise TV and a decently budgeted film are world's apart.

The fact is that they're not, regardless of whether you think so or not.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I like the Jessica Jones connection.
    this is definitely one of the most interesting pre production cycles we've seen. I also agree going from Boyle to an unknown is risky Theirs something odd about this one ever since Boyle quit
    I dont think they have a lot to lose with Craig's last...if its a relatively unknown director then so be it.
    The same three trolls keep spamming this thread. We all need to start ignoring their comments and just chat amongst ourselves until an announcement is made.
    Well I thought by now we would have heard more official news from EON, but it’s still reassuring to know that pre-production is continuing as scheduled and hopefully a director can be attained soon. So long as filming keeps going as scheduled, hopefully we can get a director announcement in late September or early October.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Well I thought by now we would have heard more official news from EON, but it’s still reassuring to know that pre-production is continuing as scheduled and hopefully a director can be attained soon. So long as filming keeps going as scheduled, hopefully we can get a director announcement in late September or early October.

I'd imagine the director will be on board in the next couple of weeks, and we'll get proper announcements at the beginning of November. They'll make the 2019 date with little hassle when those dates are met.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Hiring a complete unknown to direct presents another issue we haven't discussed yet: What about the above the line crew members? It seems there are two options:

1. Most above the line crew members (such as Mark Tildesley and the DOP who is likely Anthony Dod Mantle) were already hired before Boyle left and they are staying on the film. What will they think about an unknown replacing their man, Danny Boyle?

2. They are hiring new above the line crew members. In this case the question is: what talent will they be able to attract with an unknown steering the ship? In this case, I'm afraid you can forget the likes of Roger Deakins working on Bond 25.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Far too many seem willing to cast judgement before giving someone new a fair chance, I find the whole mentality rather danielcraigisnotbond.com
    BB is incompetent? How on earth could that be true? And, as I have already tried to explain, going in a new direction for a new director is not downgrading. A top level TV director knows how to step into an advanced production. Can u comprehend that?
    Are you seriously claiming going from the great Danny Boyle to a complete nobody is not downgrading? You can't possibly be serious. Even Demange would be a downgrade and Demange is MILES above SJ Clarkson. I'm sure even Brabra Broccoli, MGW and Daniel Craig would admit it in private that hiring any of these directors after Danny Boyle is a downgrade.
    The issue is that the Bond franchise should be at this point in time (after hiring Mendes and Boyle) above hiring TV directors who never directed a theatrical feature.

Anyone who works in the film business, and I mean a day to day business, knows the shape of things, and there is presently a v strong focus on top TV directors and writers because TV is, right now, producing a lot of superb material - much of it better than feature films - and the Studios know this, as do many independent producers. You don't seem get this reality, but you're not exactly the man with his finger on the pulse - are you?

Bond would not have survived for over 50 years if Eon didn't understand the landscape.
    Bond would not have survived for over 50 years if Eon didn't understand the landscape.
    What if they used to understand the landscape, but do not understand it anymore? Food for thought...
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    What if they used to understand the landscape, but do not understand it anymore? Food for thought...
    Not sure why you'd propose this.

Eon are working within that landscape right now, as we know. I honestly feel u just say anything that comes to mind rather than attempt to engage in any proper dialogue.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I dont think they have a lot to lose with Craig's last...if its a relatively unknown director then so be it.

It would hardly be the first time.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    I reckon Guy Ritchie should put Sherlock Holmes 3 on hold to serve mother England and rescue Bond from all the no name directors. Let them prove their worth extensively first.