No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,969
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    There is a push for fresh talent now, it's happening all over the place, so Eon won't have to worry about that at all, in fact it may prove to be a very smart move, if they go that way.
    Hiring a female director is a smart move as long as that female director is talented and can handle the pressure that comes with directing a big budget movie.S.J. Clarkson does not fit the bill.
    You just can´t stop making a joke out of yourself, can you? regardless of wether you believe a word @ColonelSun says or not, you make your own lack of knowledge and reason so obvious I find it hard not to get unpolite.

Everything in the above post by Panchito seems completely rational to me. Don't hire a director, female or not, unless they know what they're doing.

The point is, these TV directors do know what the are doing. How on earth would they be directing top end TV? Directing top TV is a harder gig to get than many feature films.

Because TV, "top end" or otherwise, still isn't filmmaking. It's a completely different practice.

Not to say you can't have success at both, but to assume someone will be successful at one because they are successful at the other is quite a big presumption.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Not to say you can't have success at both, but to assume someone will be successful at one because they are successful at the other is quite a big presumption.

This. Especially if we're speaking about a directorial debut...
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    There is a push for fresh talent now, it's happening all over the place, so Eon won't have to worry about that at all, in fact it may prove to be a very smart move, if they go that way.
    Hiring a female director is a smart move as long as that female director is talented and can handle the pressure that comes with directing a big budget movie.S.J. Clarkson does not fit the bill.
    You just can´t stop making a joke out of yourself, can you? regardless of wether you believe a word @ColonelSun says or not, you make your own lack of knowledge and reason so obvious I find it hard not to get unpolite.

Everything in the above post by Panchito seems completely rational to me. Don't hire a director, female or not, unless they know what they're doing.

The point is, these TV directors do know what the are doing. How on earth would they be directing top end TV? Directing top TV is a harder gig to get than many feature films.

Because TV, "top end" or otherwise, still isn't filmmaking. It's a completely different practice.

You're right. It's far harder in a huge number of respects.

Wrong. Where do u get your insight from? High budget TV, today, is run like a feature film, more so than many feature films. I have many friends who write and direct or produce or line-produce top end TV, and it is not a soap opera any more. Just look at the quality of the shows. 2018. Wake up.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    As CraigMooreOHMMS said- bond has always been and will be bigger than any actor or director regardless of who they are. We need to wait before reaching any pointless conclusion before any official announcement.
    Any First ADs / Production Managers looking at these claims that a mid-budget, very accomplished TV/Netflix director "wouldn't be able to handle" a feature film shooting schedule must be feeling hugely underappreciated. An incredibly thankless position.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/white-boy-rick-director-adapting-ken-loach-film-1141232?__twitter_impression=true

Yann Demange has committed to another project. No production dates yet. He is becoming quite popular
    matt_u wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    Don’t feed the trolls please people.

Excuse me Sir, but I'm no troll.

Now it's not even permitted to share some perplexity about Clarkson? After tons of exhausting OFF TOPIC complaints, frustration and toxicity about "Spectre ruined my life", "Craig and Barbara ruined the franchise", "How I miss the good old times" in a topic titled B25 Production Diary?

Good to know.
    My comment was aimed at you. Speaks volumes that you thought it was.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    To be honest I'm not particularly keen on a woman directing Bond 25 and that is my opinion I stand by. Bond is a man's man in a small testosterone fueled world. A woman directing a Bond film sounds like a politically correct gimmick to me, especially in this day and age, to cater to certain 'movements'. There is a reason most boys, when they're young, play with guns and are rowdy in general and the majority of women aren't. I don't know of any female director who is particularly keen on Bond, car chases, seducing women, to name a few.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043
    To be honest I'm not particularly keen on a woman directing Bond 25 and that is my opinion I stand by. Bond is a man's man in a small testosterone fueled world. A woman directing a Bond film sounds like a politically correct gimmick to me, especially in this day and age, to cater to certain 'movements'. There is a reason most boys, when they're young, play with guns and are rowdy in general and the majority of women aren't. I don't know of any female director who is particularly keen on Bond, car chases, seducing women, to name a few.

I know one male director who can't pull of a decent car chase.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    2018. Wake up.

I'm not saying someone like Clarkson couldn't deliver a good Bond movie. No one can know, in fact. I'm saying that the idea of a Bond movie IN 2018 made by someone who never made a feature film in her life it's a long shot. If you look at the best blockbuster ever made (especially in this era of over saturated blockbuster franchises) they always have a strong director with a clear, strong and personal vision behind it.

I just think assuming as a fact that any TV director could deliver a great movie of this size just because in 2018 TV is no more just soap opera crap it's also wrong.

Yes, there are people like Peter Jackson who directed TLotR after some small horror b-movies, but it was a dream project for him, something he worked on for a decade. This scenario here is very different, with pre-production and script polishing goin on without even a director 3/4 months from principal photography.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Where's the rabbits foot @OwenDavian LOL!
    Shardlake wrote: »

Marc Forster?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    Don’t feed the trolls please people.

Excuse me Sir, but I'm no troll.

Now it's not even permitted to share some perplexity about Clarkson? After tons of exhausting OFF TOPIC complaints, frustration and toxicity about "Spectre ruined my life", "Craig and Barbara ruined the franchise", "How I miss the good old times" in a topic titled B25 Production Diary?

Good to know.
    My comment was aimed at you. Speaks volumes that you thought it was.

You made your comment when there where just me and Panchito posting "against" Clarkson etc etc. You said trolls. BTW, fine. :)
    2018. Wake up.

I'm not saying someone like Clarkson couldn't deliver a good Bond movie. No one can know, in fact. I'm saying that the idea of a Bond movie IN 2018 made by someone who never made a feature film in her life it's a long shot. If you look at the best blockbuster ever made (especially in this era of over saturated blockbuster franchises) they always have a strong director with a clear, strong and personal vision behind it. Assuming as a fact that any TV director could deliver a great movie of this size just because in 2018 TV is no more just soap opera crap it's also wrong.

Yes, there are people like Peter Jackson who directed TLotR after some small horror b-movies, but it was a dream project for him, something he worked on for a decade. This scenario here is very different, with pre-production and script polishing goin on without even a director 3/4 months from principal photography.

Nobody is assuming that it's going to be great. The issue here is that some people have already assumed that it won't be. Of course it could turn out to be rubbish. Anything could happen. Spectre had an Oscar-winning director coming back from the most successful Bond film in 40 years, and look how that turned out.

Throwing out things like "TV directors wouldn't be able to handle the schedule" just makes you look ignorant. I mean that in the nicest way possible considering how this thread has riled me today.

Mods: apologies for the language slips earlier. Though, to my credit, the first drafts were far cussier.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Why do people keep saying that Sam Mendes couldn't make a decent chase after he already made an opening like SF. SP was different scenario all together.
    This film is rushing to meet a deadline as it is. The last thing it needs is a director who has never made a film before, let alone a blockbuster.

Marc Forster?

I know plenty including myself that find the QOS PTS thrilling, yes the editing is a little frenetic but compare that to Mendes directing 2 very expensive sports car casually drive around Rome with little next to no suspense.

Bentley007 wrote: »
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/white-boy-rick-director-adapting-ken-loach-film-1141232?__twitter_impression=true

Yann Demange has committed to another project. No production dates yet. He is becoming quite popular

Does this mean he is out of the running?
    This film is rushing to meet a deadline as it is. The last thing it needs is a director who has never made a film before, let alone a blockbuster.

It's not rushing yet.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Does this mean he is out of the running?

I don't think it removes him. Seems to me it confirms that he truly is an up and comer. Makes me want him as director even more.

Marc Forster?

I know plenty including myself that find the QOS PTS thrilling, yes the editing is a little frenetic but compare that to Mendes directing 2 very expensive sports car casually drive around Rome with little next to no suspense.

Equally bad in my book, for different reasons indeed.
    2018. Wake up.

I'm not saying someone like Clarkson couldn't deliver a good Bond movie. No one can know, in fact. I'm saying that the idea of a Bond movie IN 2018 made by someone who never made a feature film in her life it's a long shot. If you look at the best blockbuster ever made (especially in this era of over saturated blockbuster franchises) they always have a strong director with a clear, strong and personal vision behind it. Assuming as a fact that any TV director could deliver a great movie of this size just because in 2018 TV is no more just soap opera crap it's also wrong.

Nobody is assuming that it's going to be great. The issue here is that some people have already assumed that it won't be. Of course it could turn out to be rubbish. Anything could happen. Spectre had an Oscar-winning director coming back from the most successful Bond film in 40 years, and look how that turned out.

Throwing out things like "TV directors wouldn't be able to handle the schedule" just makes you look ignorant. I mean that in the nicest way possible considering how this thread has riled me today.

Mods: apologies for the language slips earlier. Though, to my credit, the first drafts were far cussier.

I'd be interested to know where @matt_u is qualified to question the @ColonelSun but then why again should I bother we are living in a time where utter novices can talk down people of experience.

Also I apply this to things happening other than just a Bond internet forum.

If @matt_u is part of the industry I of course apologise.
    Any First ADs / Production Managers looking at these claims that a mid-budget, very accomplished TV/Netflix director "wouldn't be able to handle" a feature film shooting schedule must be feeling hugely underappreciated. An incredibly thankless position.
    The schooting schedule won't be a problem, especially with Barbara Broccoli producing (yes, I believe she is incompetent, but where she always fails is pre-production, not the production, aka filming) and a first-rate second unit director. What the issue is is that they are condsidering downgrading from the likes of Mendes and Boyle to a complete unknown.
  • To be honest I'm not particularly keen on a woman directing Bond 25 and that is my opinion I stand by. Bond is a man's man in a small testosterone fueled world. A woman directing a Bond film sounds like a politically correct gimmick to me, especially in this day and age, to cater to certain 'movements'. There is a reason most boys, when they're young, play with guns and are rowdy in general and the majority of women aren't. I don't know of any female director who is particularly keen on Bond, car chases, seducing women, to name a few.

Kathryn Bigelow and Patty Jenkins to name two.
    2018. Wake up.

Well, to me Spectre turned out great. But we're not talking about tastes right?

And I never talked just about "schedule issues", come on. Read again my comments. If you think directing something like Collateral in London presents the same issues that directing a globetrotting 200 million dollars movie (debut) with hundreds and hundreds of employees working with more experienced people than you, plus all the pressure that a Bond movie carries on the shoulder of a director, well fine. To me, this assumption sounds also a little naive.

The best thing we can do is waiting for an announcement. Ah, and I never assumed B25 it's not goin to be great.
    2018. Wake up.

I'd be interested to know where @matt_u is qualified to question the @ColonelSun but then why again should I bother we are living in a time where utter novices can talk down people of experience.

Also I apply this to things happening in other than a world of a Bond internet forum.

We're talking about possibilities here. As I said before I'm no producer but you don't need to work in the industry to understand that assuming as a fact that any TV director could deliver a great movie of this size just because in 2018 TV is no more just soap opera crap it's a really long shot.
    2018. Wake up.

Also I apply this to things happening in other than a world of a Bond internet forum.

We're talking about possibilities here. As I said before I'm no producer but you don't need to work in the industry to understand that assuming as a fact that any TV director could deliver a great movie of this size just because in 2018 TV is no more just soap opera crap it's a really long shot.

Clutching at straws, I think is the term.
    2018. Wake up.

Clutching at straws, I think is the term.

You are another one, I'm sorry you aren't in the industry just a keyboard warrior with a smart tongue.
    The schooting schedule won't be a problem, especially with Barbara Broccoli producing (yes, I believe she is incompetent, but where she always fails is pre-production, not the production, aka filming) and a first-rate second unit director. What the issue is is that they are condsidering downgrading from the likes of Mendes and Boyle to a complete unknown.

BB is incompetent? How on earth could that be true? And, as I have already tried to explain, going in a new direction for a new director is not downgrading. A top level TV director knows how to step into an advanced production. Can u comprehend that?