No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    doubleoego wrote: »
    5 years ago no one knew who Coogler was,
    Coogler went from Fruitvale Station to Creed to Black Panther. Only after two acclaimed smaller feature films was he hired to do a big budget Marvel movie.

instantly dismissive of giving it to fresh talent as opposed to a big-name director who most likely would not give them the Bond that want.

Fresh, raw talent is exactly what is needed right now. Something a bit edgy - not necessarily in tone, but in execution.
    I'm not against fresh talent and would be quite happy with Demange. I'm against complete nobodies.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    You spout off, but it's based on what? SJ Clarkson is, and has been for ages now, a top international TV director. The TV and Film Industry, very established producers, have been impressed with her work, hence she has many high end TV credits to her name now. That is why Paramount hired her for ST4- and she is on Eon's radar for Bond 25.
    Yes, Paramount hired her for a movie that will likely never get made.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-4-chris-pine-chris-hemsworth-talks-fall-1133802

You can defend her all you want, but a director of her calibre won't cut it. Not after Marc Forster, Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle.
    Clarkson, Demange, etc. it would be a shame to prejudge whichever up-and-coming name gets the gig (unless EON makes a u-turn at the very last minute and hires a household name). The idea of an unknown is more exciting than worrying, IMO.
    I don't think you entirely understand the difference between Demange and SJ Clarkson. Demange is an exciting, up-and-coming movie director. SJ Clarkson is a complete nobody. I would be quite happy with Demange.

Sorry, but what on earth do you know about directing? SJ Clarkson has directed top end international TV. In so many ways, especially with TV's tight shooting and post-production schedules, a top end TV director is very well equipped for a feature film which also has a tight schedule (Bond 25) - plus all the other stuff I've explained.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    The question is: how many TV directors made an impressing big budget directorial debut on the big screen?

We're speaking about making a Bond movie. A big budget film with a super tight schedule that carries mammoth pressure. I don't see someone with zero experience in this kind of production a good fit for a movie like this. Campbell is an excellent action director, Marc Forster isn't an action director but he wasn't a newcomer in the Hollywood business. Mendes is an A-list director who made excellent awarded pictures.

We went from people like Villeneuve (extraordinary filmaker) and Boyle (super experienced Academy Award winning filmaker) to Clarkson who? Pretty disappointing. Demange would be better on paper, but he's still "new" in this kind of business. I try to stay optimistic but the truth is there's little reason to be optimistic.

Seeking for some fresh talent is an intriguing idea, but making a Bond film is probably the hardest job for a director. You have both tons of pressure (compared only to Star Wars films and a few others) and the tightest schedule for a movie this size. It's not like making a regular blockbuster.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,009
    instantly dismissive of giving it to fresh talent as opposed to a big-name director who most likely would not give them the Bond that want.

Fresh, raw talent is exactly what is needed right now. Something a bit edgy - not necessarily in tone, but in execution.
    I'm not against fresh talent and would be quite happy with Demange. I'm against complete nobodies.

Repeating that she's a "nobody" will not make it so, dear boy.
    Sorry, but what on earth do you know about directing? SJ Clarkson has directed top end international TV. In so many ways, especially with TV's tight shooting and post-production schedules, a top end TV director is very well equipped for a feature film which also has a tight schedule (Bond 25) - plus all the other stuff I've explained.
    You still don't get it. After Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle, a director who is simply "well equipped" won't cut it. Replacing the great Danny Boyle with a complete nobody would go down as one of the greatest jokes in filmmaking history.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Clarkson, Demange, etc. it would be a shame to prejudge whichever up-and-coming name gets the gig (unless EON makes a u-turn at the very last minute and hires a household name). The idea of an unknown is more exciting than worrying, IMO.
    I don't think you entirely understand the difference between Demange and SJ Clarkson. Demange is an exciting, up-and-coming movie director. SJ Clarkson is a complete nobody. I would be quite happy with Demange.

I won't bother to argue much more with you, @PanchitoPistoles, as your comments are entirely ridiculous. You judge a director by wearing glasses, and looking at their credits, she has equal if not more experience than Demange. Not saying I'm against Demange getting the gig – just putting it there.
    Regarding big budget experience and/or TV show experience: I can't really see the issue, as TV shows more than often delivers equal or better entertainment than many big budget blockbusters, on a tighter budget, and on a production where you have to wrap up filming quickly before moving on to the next episode.

Regarding S.J Clarkson, I thought I was completely unfamiliar with what she's done, but as it happens, I've watched episodes she's directed of Life on Mars, Whitechapel (a series I really liked), Hunted (a spy drama), and Jessica Jones.

Absolutely. Directing TV is no joke - it of course takes longer and there are as many, if not more, elements to juggle. Especially when you're taking on something in the thriller genre, or directing episodes of a Marvel TV show with an $70+ budget for the season.

It could be Clarkson, it could be Demange. Personally, I'd go with Demange on account of how much I liked '71.

Absolutely. I agree with that very much. It's funny to see so many people who were so vocally against directors like Mendes after SP become so instantly dismissive of giving it to fresh talent as opposed to a big-name director who most likely would not give them the Bond that want.

Completely agree. If any of the names mentioned can deliver something else in execution than Mendes for example (who couldn't even make a decent car chase, IMO), then good – just get said name going and make a film that makes the deadline, and that hopefully brings us an something exciting.

Repeating that she's a "nobody" will not make it so, dear boy.

:))
    matt_u wrote: »
    The question is: how many TV directors made an impressing big budget directorial debut on the big screen?

We're speaking about making a Bond movie. A big budget film with a super tight schedule that carries mammoth pressure. I don't see someone with zero experience in this kind of production a good fit for a movie like this. Campbell is an excellent action director, Marc Forster isn't an action director but he wasn't a newcomer in the Hollywood business. Mendes is an A-list director who made excellent awarded pictures.

We went from people like Villeneuve (extraordinary filmaker) and Boyle (super experienced Academy Award winning filmaker) to Clarkson who? Pretty disappointing. Demange would be better on paper, but he's still a newcomer in this kind of business. I try to stay optimistic but the truth is there's little reason to be optimistic.

Some of the best feature film directors have started in TV. And TV, now, is just as cinematic, if not more so, than many feature films. Watch Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Handmaid's Tale, and the list goes on and on - every episode is written, produced, acted, and directed as if it was a feature film. Wake up. This is 2018.
  • RC7RC7
    Wonder what excuse Pistoles would give re. the Russo Brothers?
    We went from people like Villeneuve (extraordinary filmaker) and Boyle (super experienced Academy Award winning filmaker) to Clarkson who? Pretty disappointing.
    That's an understatement.

Joss Whedon, Alan Taylor, Edgar Wright, Mimi Leder, Robert Altman, and an unknown fella called Steven Spielberg. All cut their teeth on a variety of TV productions for years before transitioning over into the big leagues. I'm fairly sure three or four of those names made quite a splash with their debut and sophomore features.
    RC7 wrote: »
    The Russo Brothers are pretty good a making cookie-cutter Marvel movies, but they are certainly no Sam Mendes or Danny Boyle. Btw, unlike SJ, they did direct several feature films before they were hired to do Captain America 2.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241

Joss Whedon, Alan Taylor, Edgar Wright, Mimi Leder, Robert Altman, and an unknown fella called Steven Spielberg. All cut their teeth on a variety of TV productions for years before transitioning over into the big leagues. I'm fairly sure three or four of those names made quite a splash with their debut and sophomore features.

That Columbo episode (Murder by the Book) comes to mind re. Spielberg.

How many of those directors directed a mega budget movie as their first theatrial feature film? SJ should direct 2 or 3 nice little thrillers first (movies, not TV episodes), if those deliver, sure, we can talk about her directing a Bond film.
    Don’t feed the trolls please people.

Come on... The Avengers was a smash but still looks like a big budget TV movie (for example, Age of Ultron was far more cinematic speaking about direction). Taylor is crap. Wright directed a small budget film. Altman (lol) didn't directed an A-list Hollywood production. Spielberg is a genius and with Lucas invented the modern summer blockbuster.

We're talking about making a smashing Bond movie, not some Marvel, Terminator, Fast & Furious etc etc crap here. We all know how is difficult delivering a Bond movie, given all the expectations, the mammoth pressure and the super tight schedule.

I'm just saying that I don't see a profile like Clarkson the best fit for this job. I'm no producer, I'm just a junior architect and a movie maniac, but I really can't get excited about the idea of Bond movie directed by Clarkson.

IF she gets the job, I'll be her best supporter. But on paper going from Villeneuve or Boyle to Clarkson remains a long shot.

How many of those directors directed a mega budget movie as their first theatrial feature film? SJ should direct 2 or 3 nice little thrillers first (movies, not TV episodes), if those deliver, sure, we can talk about her directing a Bond film.

Frank Darabont (TV), Sam Mendes (only theatre), Mike Nicholes (TV), Sidney Lumet (TV), John Frankenheimer, and that is just off the top of my head without even trying.

TV directors cross to studio pictures all the time. Fact.
    I just realized there is an angle to SJ Clarkson directing Bond 25 I haven't thought of before. Sure, going from Sam Mendes and Danny Boyle to SJ is pretty bad, but on the other hand going from SJ Clarkon to the great Christopher Nolan sounds pretty amazing. :))

From DAD to CR...
    From SJ Clarkson's Bond 25 to Christopher Nolan's Bond 26....
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    The Russo Brothers are pretty good a making cookie-cutter Marvel movies, but they are certainly no Sam Mendes or Danny Boyle. Btw, unlike SJ, they did direct several feature films before they were hired to do Captain America 2.

Yeah, the universally lauded ‘Welcome to Collinwood’ and ‘You Me and Dupree’.
    TR007 wrote: »
    Don’t feed the trolls please people.

Excuse me Sir, but I'm no troll.

Now it's not even permitted to share some perplexity about Clarkson? After tons of exhausting OFF TOPIC complaints, frustration and toxicity about "Spectre ruined my life", "Craig and Barbara ruined the franchise", "How I miss the good old times" in a topic titled B25 Production Diary?

Good to know.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Danny Boyle also wears glasses, just saying.

Good point!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,009

Come on... The Avengers was a smash but still looks like a big budget TV movie (for example, Age of Ultron was far more cinematic speaking about direction). Taylor is crap. Wright directed a small budget film. Altman (lol) didn't directed an A-list Hollywood production. Spielberg is a genius and with Lucas invented the modern summer blockbuster.

We're talking about making a smashing Bond movie, not some Marvel, Terminator, Fast & Furious etc etc crap here. We all know how is difficult delivering a Bond movie, given all the expectations, the mammoth pressure and the super tight schedule.

I'm just saying that I don't see a profile like Clarkson the best fit for this job. I'm no producer, I'm just a junior architect and a movie maniac, but I really can't get excited about the idea of Bond movie directed by Clarkson.

IF she gets the job, I'll be her best supporter. But on paper going from Villeneuve or Boyle to Clarkson remains a long shot.

You asked for a list of high-profile directors who made the transition to high-profile film, and that is what you received. There are many more, I'm sure. Maybe @ColonelSun would be better suited to give examples above my Film Studies BA level.

"Spielberg was a genius" - yes he sure is. He's made some stinkers, too. Does him being a "genius" mean that nobody else could ever end up as good as him? That other directors who start in humble beginnings are not worthy? If that's what you're saying, then I'm not too sure you understand what directing actually entails. A lot of what you just said there is simply personal opinion in the face of factual answers to your question. Yeah, The Avengers was a bit stagey in parts. It also was universally loved and made huge money.

Bond is not the only one with massive fan expectation, studio pressure, and tight timetables. In fact, despite the Boyle events, Bond is still down the pecking order in that regard. All those franchises you mentioned may or may not be to your liking, but they have been directorial nightmares for many. The thing that sets Bond apart from the pack is its content, which is unique to any other series. The process by which it is made, especially in the last couple of entries, is no more or less challenging than any other franchise.

There seems to be some serious ignorance going on here regarding TV directing, as if it's not as challenging as directing a low to mid-budget feature. Clueless is the only way I can describe that line of thinking, honestly.

Yeah, Boyle to Clarkson is quite a leap. Not in quality, though. Just in name recognition. And to be quite honest, that doesn't matter in the slightest. Bond is bigger than the actor, and it is also bigger than the director. As long as they have a clear vision, they'll do fine.

And that goes for any possible candidate.

Frank Darabont (TV), Sam Mendes (only theatre), Mike Nicholes (TV), Sidney Lumet (TV), John Frankenheimer, and that is just off the top of my head without even trying.

TV directors cross to studio pictures all the time. Fact.

It's a fact of life. But goin from regular TV productions to directing a film this size? We're not talking about independent art house movies or relatively small budget comedy or drama directorial debuts. It's also true that behind the Bond franchise there's a granitic production company, but I'm still perplexed about this whole idea. Simply because I want 25 to be another GREAT Bond movie and Clarkson doesn't have any real feature film credentials.
    There is a push for fresh talent now, it's happening all over the place, so Eon won't have to worry about that at all, in fact it may prove to be a very smart move, if they go that way.
    Hiring a female director is a smart move as long as that female director is talented and can handle the pressure that comes with directing a big budget movie.S.J. Clarkson does not fit the bill.
    You just can´t stop making a joke out of yourself, can you? regardless of wether you believe a word @ColonelSun says or not, you make your own lack of knowledge and reason so obvious I find it hard not to get unpolite.

• Danny Boyle also wears glasses, just saying.

Campbell too.

245480_full.jpg
    OwenDavian wrote: »

Campbell too.

245480_full.jpg

They're both men, so it doesn't count.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,969
    boldfinger wrote: »
    There is a push for fresh talent now, it's happening all over the place, so Eon won't have to worry about that at all, in fact it may prove to be a very smart move, if they go that way.
    Hiring a female director is a smart move as long as that female director is talented and can handle the pressure that comes with directing a big budget movie.S.J. Clarkson does not fit the bill.
    You just can´t stop making a joke out of yourself, can you? regardless of wether you believe a word @ColonelSun says or not, you make your own lack of knowledge and reason so obvious I find it hard not to get unpolite.

Everything in the above post by Panchito seems completely rational to me. Don't hire a director, female or not, unless they know what they're doing.

Everything in the above post by Panchito seems completely rational to me. Don't hire a director, female or not, unless they know what their doing.

Firstly, it's not rational at all when he hasn't seen any of the work by the person to make such a judgement. I don't care if it's predominantly television or not.

Secondly, if that's reason enough for a director to be written off by him, especially these days in the era of big budget television, then he's got exactly zero clue of what he's talking about when it comes to directing. That's the reason why his posts are causing so much hassle.

Everything in the above post by Panchito seems completely rational to me. Don't hire a director, female or not, unless they know what they're doing.

The point is, these TV directors do know what the are doing. How on earth would they be directing top end TV? Directing top TV is a harder gig to get than many feature films.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343

You asked for a list of high-profile directors who made the transition to high-profile film, and that is what you received. There are many more, I'm sure. Maybe @ColonelSun would be better suited to give examples above my Film Studies BA level.

"Spielberg was a genius" - yes he sure is. He's made some stinkers, too. Does him being a "genius" mean that nobody else could ever end up as good as him? That other directors who start in humble beginnings are not worthy? If that's what you're saying, then I'm not too sure you understand what directing actually entails. A lot of what you just said there is simply personal opinion in the face of factual answers to your question. Yeah, The Avengers was a bit stagey in parts. It also was universally loved and made huge money.

Bond is not the only one with massive fan expectation, studio pressure, and tight timetables. In fact, despite the Boyle events, Bond is still down the pecking order in that regard. All those franchises you mentioned may or may not be to your liking, but they have been directorial nightmares for many. The thing that sets Bond apart is the pack content, which is unique to any other series. The process by which it is made, especially in the last couple of entries, is no more or less challenging than any other franchise.

There seems to be some serious ignorance going on here regarding TV directing, as if it's not as challenging as directing a low to mid-budget feature. Clueless is the only way I can describe that line of thinking, honestly.

Yeah, Boyle to Clarkson is quite a leap. Not in quality, though. Just in name recognition. And to be quite honest, that doesn't matter in the slightest. Bond is bigger than the actor, and it is also bigger than the director. As long as they have a clear vision, they'll do fine.

And that goes for any possible candidate.

Well, to be honest I asked for "impressing big budget movies" but it's okay. Ah, you forgot JJ Abrams with M:I-3. :)

BTW my point is that yes, going from Boyle to someone like Clarkson is a HUGE leap but going from TV business to a film this size it's an even longer shot. That's why I'm worried and why I find her name pretty disappointing.

Right now I just don't think someone with just mid-budget TV background could deliver a Bond movie for the ages.

But now don't tell me that directing good TV features (like Collateral) is harder than directing an artistically and commercially successful 200 million $ Bond movie. It's obviously really different.