Since the series 'rebooted' what do you think happened to THAT Bond after Die Another Day (or EON)?

edited February 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 4,813
I know at the time of release, everyone figured Pierce would return a fifth time- or at the very least, we'd get a new actor, sure, but it wouldn't be a REBOOT.
So let's look at Pierce Brosnan's Bond in particular-- what do you suppose happened after DAD (or 'Everything or Nothing' if you want to get technical)
Did he retire? Did he Die?

If I had my way, the VR scene with MoneyPenny would have been REAL and not some dumb gag. As the last 'official' one of that series, it would have been cool to see Bond end up with her. What do you guys think?

Comments

• I am just happy we did not get a 5th Brosnan film to be honest. To answer the question, I think Bond will never settle down with one woman. He tried two times and it did not work out.
    The thought of a fifth Brosnan film has me reaching for the Glenfiddich I am afraid.

Double drams straight down.
    That Bond became a dreaded international jewel thief to settle the damages at the Blades after Graves's cheque bounced.
    I think, preCR Bond was concervated and will be back in Skyfall.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    The Bond after Die Another Day will be shown IN Skyfall.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Retired in shame.
    will resist being too negative toward brosnan, though glad the producers took the franchise in the direction they did.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think Bond should have ended up in Goodnight's arms,
    the same ending more or less hinted at by Ian Fleming. ;-)
    He might will be back in SF, but most likely SF and CR have the same Bond, just that SF Bond is more experienced and perhaps won´t remain in conflict with his boss half the time.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    He might will be back in SF, but most likely SF and CR have the same Bond, just that SF Bond is more experienced and perhaps won´t remain in conflict with his boss half the time.

He's just not more experienced, he is the same Bond we've been looking at on these 50 years. CR and QoS are 2 "separated" movies from the franchise.
    X3MSonicX wrote:

He's just not more experienced, he is the same Bond we've been looking at on these 50 years. CR and QoS are 2 "separated" movies from the franchise.

I´ll be very happy if you are right. But I was thinking about M. The "new" Judi Dench M is Bond´s boss first and might be replaced by the Bernard Lee M. Therefore SF is still early in Bond career. But I hope Craig will finally become the Bond we know from the first 20 films (personality wise).
    Watch out!

James Bond will be back..........
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,778
    I don't think Skyfall's Bond will be a continuation of Brosnan's and thankfully so. Once they rebooted they started everything from scratch. That's like saying Christian Bale's Batman will now be a continuation of Keaton's. Brosnan's Bond is done.

As far as what happened after DAD I could imagine him retiring to a life of pure leisure as he was looking old and the North Korea stint probably wore down on him.

Honestly even though I know the Bond series only follows 2 sets continuity (Connery through Brosnan and than Craig) I kind of always saw it as 3 personally. Connery, Lazenby, and Moore are all the same man which makes sense as Connery and Moore are more or less the same age and we see the character age from 1962 to 1985. I can see that Bond retiring from the service after AVTAK.

TLD in many ways struck me as a reboot, although the word didn't exist at the time so it seemed more like a continuation. Dalton and Brosnan's Bond would be the same character which is easy to believe as they look very similar and it's established in GE that Brosnan's Bond was 007 during 1986. That Bond would've been around from the early 80s to 2002. As for the change in attiude who knows.

And then finally we have Daniel Craig's Bond. Yes, I know they're are technically only 2 characters to be James Bond but it's an interesting way of looking at it.
  • I
    Honestly even though I know the Bond series only follows 2 sets continuity (Connery through Brosnan and than Craig) I kind of always saw it as 3 personally. Connery, Lazenby, and Moore are all the same man which makes sense as Connery and Moore are more or less the same age and we see the character age from 1962 to 1985. I can see that Bond retiring from the service after AVTAK.

TLD in many ways struck me as a reboot, although the word didn't exist at the time so it seemed more like a continuation. Dalton and Brosnan's Bond would be the same character which is easy to believe as they look very similar and it's established in GE that Brosnan's Bond was 007 during 1986. That Bond would've been around from the early 80s to 2002. As for the change in attiude who knows.

And then finally we have Daniel Craig's Bond. Yes, I know they're are technically only 2 characters to be James Bond but it's an interesting way of looking at it.

I really like this theory, and it's kinda what I follow too, except if we look at it like this, we should really split them up in 4 groups. First is Dr.No-DAF. We also see an older Bond in DAF, possibly worn out from the death of his wife, ending in the hands of an older woman, which fits.

Then we get Moore's goofy, slapstick impersonation of Bond. Which I'm in no way dissing. It worked for the time, to release the tension of the Cold War, and as a kid I loved his films very much.

The there is TLD-DAD, and Finally CR-SF and beyond....

As for Brosnan's Bond after DAD, I have to angles:

Realistic angle: He's still out there, fighting with Jinx, Robinson, Tanner and M by his side.

Funny angle: He and his CGI-car met up with Dalton and Craig's Bond, and they kicked some bloody sense into him :) Really, I love Brozza as Bond, he's one of my favorites (minority, I know. But he's the Bond I grew up with, and without him I might not have cared much for 007) but DAD spiralled out of control, but then we all know that!

DAD spiralled out of control, but then we all know that!
    I did not know that. I think it saved the franchise from bringing in melodrama, which IMO didn´t fit into TWINE. Unfortunately it met with critical backlash, which led to bringing back the melodramatic scenes in greater numbers.

I've mentioned before but here's a good place to say it again: if they gave Pierce a 'down-to-earth' fifth movie- just as they did with Moore's Moonraker followed by FYEO, I would have been OK with him hanging around a bit longer and forgetting the whole reboot. Dan could still take over in 2006 (or better-- 2OO7)

But as it stands, yes I assume he kept on as usual, with Robinson and M and preferably Wai-Lin in place of Jinx
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,778
    @BondWill Return. Surely by now the DAD Bond would've retired. True we never find out Bond's age but DAD was 10 years ago and he was starting to look old and tired even then. But maybe there is some geriatric womanizing secret agent out there. Let's just hope Q has something to help with the muscle aches and kidney stones. Haha

True DAF could be the end for that Bond but remember we do see Roger Moore's Bond visiting Tracy's grave. The reference made in LTK is very unspecific and can be looked over. All that is said is that he was married once. My Uncle was married once too. For all we know Bond went through a nasty divorce. ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think each Bond actor is in their own separate timeline to be honest. Continuity in the Bond series was lost as early as the sixth film.
  • DAD spiralled out of control, but then we all know that!
    I did not know that. I think it saved the franchise from bringing in melodrama, which IMO didn´t fit into TWINE. Unfortunately it met with critical backlash, which led to bringing back the melodramatic scenes in greater numbers.

So, 007RM, having read through a lot of topics, I know it's senseless arguing with you, because you won't take a hint anyway, but I'm gonna give it one shot:

According to you DAD didn't spiral out of control. So you encounter giant Laser that non-sensically look like gigant pieces of ice are stuck to the front like a huge flower, invisible cars, and gene therapy. Or at least, you believe real life spies encouter this sort of stuff?

I mean, I know it's a movie and it doesn't have to be at all realistic, and if it where a Transformers movie i'd be fine with it. But it's not, it's a Bond movie, and when the Sci-Fi gets in the way of the style and glamour of it all, Bond is lost.
    I know you're a Moore fan, so I'll give you this: Moore was goofier than the rest, but in most of his movies (except MR and maybe TMWTGG) the Sci-Fi or crazy elements didn't get in the way of his style, because Sir Roger knew how to handle style very well. That's why those movies are still Bond movies to me, same reason TND and TWINE (which I both love, 'cause they are just fun movies full of thrills and adventure) are still Bond movies. The first half of DAD is good, maybe even one of the best in Brozza's era. Most people stop liking the movie when Cuba comes into play, but I'm willing to accept it up to the invisible car. There I draw the line. DAD was a Bond movie with great potential, I like some OTT things like the Ice Palace for instance, but it just had to much of those things. And therefor non of them stand out, because they are a dime a dozen, and we start to question them all, because non of them stand out and wonder us anymore.

So, that was actually way longer than what I intended to write, and actually quite a review for DAD, but when I start writing I just don't stop, and I don't really share my opinion here very often. So there you have it, some of my opinions on the Bond franchise.
    The way i see it is this. These are the cases of an MI6 agent spanning a whole career to which we have no idea if it will come to an end? Hopefully never? I have no idea how many operations a secret service agent would work on throughout there life?

However? I am guessing it would be more than 23?! ;) That's my take on the series. And it works for me! So in a way its a living recorded case where you go along with it too! :-bd
    So, 007RM, having read through a lot of topics, I know it's senseless arguing with you, because you won't take a hint anyway, but I'm gonna give it one shot:

Senseless? No, no. I don´t think most people think so. I respect your opinion.

According to you DAD didn't spiral out of control. So you encounter giant Laser that non-sensically look like gigant pieces of ice are stuck to the front like a huge flower, invisible cars, and gene therapy. Or at least, you believe real life spies encouter this sort of stuff?
    Real spies? No, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is probably more spy-like. But that movie was made (the book was written and he helped making the movie) by a Bond hater, who tries to distance his work from Bond. Bond is Bond and TTSS is a realistic spy film. DAD belongs to the former IMO.

DAD Bond... Retired bitter and bloated... :-))
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    DAD Bond died. Nobody knows which one, but it was from one of many STDs he had picked up over his 40 years as a spy. Also, the anti aging drugs and constant plastic surgery were very bad for him.

His son is also called James Bond, but he was abandoned as a baby and nobody can be sure who his mum is (most likely one of the girls Bond cheated on Tracy with in OHMSS). And DAD Bonds son became the new 007, after killing 2 men, he then went on his 1st proper mission (CR). But MI6 never talk about his father because he cost them millions in paternity suit settlements.
    MrEon wrote:

Yeah the Bond actors do have a habit of finishing up their runs in the role overweight. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to Craig down the road.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4,813
    (I'm going to hell for this) James Bond & Moneypenny today:

pierce190108BIG_468x434.jpg
    How do I upload pictures? I've got an even better one of Brosnan.
    I don't think anything happened quite frankly. The way I see it, we've got the same series, I don't even recognize the re-boot. I consider CR and QoS to be before DN, as Bond's earliest assignments. For now, whatever happens after DAD is still on hold until Craig's Bond movies pick it up again.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2012 Posts: 4,415
    If you mist it, i don't believe in the reboot as some people think it be.

The M story line is taken to the DC era. QOs proof that with the mom joke. (and much other things.) The other thing is the coldwar reference. Bond is to violence in the beginning of CR, it also look like he must re-proof something to M. Killing Dryden i see part of that, whyle i must admit the story of Dryden and the contact also lost me. Also there be a picture from Dryden with his wife and a litle girl and my opnion for a whyle i think the litle girl be Vesper, then Camile and the at moment i think it is mabey Malone chacter. Is the black and white only done for made look like it is midnight or the past or mabey something what playing later (The same Ipod as the end of the movie ?)

There be discussions before where we can or people like to at CR. The 9 year time jump in GE can mean the movies are set after LTK but before the time jump or in the time jump. Imagine GE be set in 2004 (1995+ 9), TMND in 2006 and Twine in 2008 then Cr/QOS can between them.

It isn't a easy discussion and some footage of Skyfall made it more dificult. I saw a picture from the side of the mi6 bulding we know since GE and also been seen a litle bit in Cr. In Twine it be partly destroyd.

Iam sjure, the DC era is thing of detais (hidden), lies & re-explanation and give us things from CR book with a twist. some remours about Yolt and TMWTGG novel made more that i think there going to yuse that to give us more detais of things we don't know yet or there did nothing with. Since QOS i always believed Bond go to China or India to get his soul back, the water thing/Quantum and in between the gamble and that kind of things. Also the Mi6 fall/M story line. The 4 year wait til Skyfall have put things on hold or changed things i think. Bond 24 wil be the water/Quantum story line.

Since Brosnan leave i bought more non Bond movies with him.
  • I think we shouldn't overthink and overanalyze this. :D Continuity in the Bond franchise is crap. I think we can only count on the fact that he always is the same guy (same personality, favourite drink, snob, etc.). The rest just doesn't work. I think it's better to see the movies as more separate unities (but not too separate).
  • X3MSonicX wrote:

Exactly how I feel. IMO, a dead on assessment and how CR/QOS should be viewed.
    MrEon wrote:

Hilarious! :))
    (I'm going to hell for this) James Bond & Moneypenny today:

pierce190108BIG_468x434.jpg

That picture is always welcomed on this computer, makes me laugh my arse off every time :))