No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Cowley wrote: »
    First Bond film I ever saw was the Christmas Day TV premiere of DAF in 1978 at the tender age of 5. To my embarrassment as I came to see subsequent Connery films on TV for the next few years I never immediately twigged it was the same actor as the 'old bloke who climbed through the roof and fell on the toilet'.

Probably like most teen fans nothing can eclipse that first time when you become a hardcore fan, collecting the films and the Fleming novels and buying up all the factual books on the film series and properly absorbing yourself in the mythology.

I think Bond actors and films which come after that first awakening - regardless of what generation we are from - will always suffer from undue criticism and a lack of emotional attachment.

The 6 year gap after LKT seemed like an eternity back in the day, I had really come to think we would never see another film but there were (and are) always the first 16 films to treasure. Whilst I'm appreciative we got more, like with the revived Dr Who, it's too distant and distinct from the original to be viewed as a continuation. They're nice optional extras, take them or leave them. I'll take the Craig films and leave the Brozza efforts but that's just my subjective opinion. I personally don't desperately need a 25th EON Bond film in my life but will be glad to have one if we get it.

That's not to say I'm a sycophant whom would settle for sloppy seconds or a rush job from EON. I absolutely want them to make the best film they can, make the film they want to make, but if it's not entirely to my favour I wont be too butthurt because it will never tarnish or delete the back catalogue.
    I’m of the same opinion as you. When I was younger I was chomping at the bit to see the newest Bond film. But these days maybe I’m more jaded or just fully realize that no matter what “incredible” film they give us next it will never soar to the heights that GF or YOLT or LALD or TSWLM or OP soared for me. Those films and most of the others from the classic period of Bond (the Cubby period) are just seared in my mind and that same magic just can’t be recaptured in this day and age. The world has changed too much. All the best Bonds are behind us. So if all of a sudden they stopped making these movies it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me. We already have more movies than any other franchise in movie history. 24 is more than enough. Hey, that’s also my favorite TV show :)
    You guys make some interesting points. I've been a fan since childhood but still get that buzz for a new film in a beloved franchise. The most excited I remember ever being coming out of a theatre was after GE. It really was a special experience. The PTS just blew me away - coolness personified. Since then, CR and SF have really impressed me as well, but not to the same extent. I really liked CR, but it didn't grab me emotionally like GE did. In fact, I'd say that SF probably had more of an impact on me.

So I think I can still be mesmerized by a Bond film, if it hits the right spots. I hope it happens again one day soon. This year it was Fallout which had that 'jaw drop' (*I must tell everyone about it*) effect on me.

Looking back on the catalogue though I really like the films pre-1989 the most. They are quite special to me and have the highest rewatch value. I don't really dislike any of them too much, so you have a point.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    @doubleoego, I value your insights and comments on this forum and hope you continue to express yourself as valiantly and honestly as you have done. What you write makes a lot of sense.

There's been a fair share of amateur psycho analysis written here over the past few weeks about specific members, the forum and the thread in general. I don't share that opinion of any of our members here. I can appreciate why some are especially frustrated, and in my view, you have every reason to feel that way. I share much of your concerns.

I say let's give them a month or so and see whether we get that director announcement. We don't really know what happened behind the scenes here and there's all sorts of rumours out there, much of it contradictory. First it was a casting disagreement, then it was Bond dying, then it was Craig being an a$$#0!*. Some or all of this may be true, but we just don't know for sure at this point.

Perhaps we can give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that they had the good sense, after the SP debacle, to have a back up plan in place - especially given Boyle's known unfamiliarity and previously stated trepidation with this sort of production.

Like other members I anxiously await a director announcement soon. They know that expectations are high and that they have to deliver, especially after this wait. I expect nothing less than a kick 'a' entry for release in October/November 2019.

Cheers @bondjames. I appreciate the support. I'm in full agreement with you here. I'm looking forward to new announcements, especially who'll be directing and I sincerely hope we do get a smashing entry in Bond 25. I want that feeling I once had during the 2006-2008 period. Pure excitement for engaging visceral Bond films.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Cowley wrote: »
    First Bond film I ever saw was the Christmas Day TV premiere of DAF in 1978 at the tender age of 5. To my embarrassment as I came to see subsequent Connery films on TV for the next few years I never immediately twigged it was the same actor as the 'old bloke who climbed through the roof and fell on the toilet'.

Probably like most teen fans nothing can eclipse that first time when you become a hardcore fan, collecting the films and the Fleming novels and buying up all the factual books on the film series and properly absorbing yourself in the mythology.

I think Bond actors and films which come after that first awakening - regardless of what generation we are from - will always suffer from undue criticism and a lack of emotional attachment.

The 6 year gap after LKT seemed like an eternity back in the day, I had really come to think we would never see another film but there were (and are) always the first 16 films to treasure. Whilst I'm appreciative we got more, like with the revived Dr Who, it's too distant and distinct from the original to be viewed as a continuation. They're nice optional extras, take them or leave them. I'll take the Craig films and leave the Brozza efforts but that's just my subjective opinion. I personally don't desperately need a 25th EON Bond film in my life but will be glad to have one if we get it.

That's not to say I'm a sycophant whom would settle for sloppy seconds or a rush job from EON. I absolutely want them to make the best film they can, make the film they want to make, but if it's not entirely to my favour I wont be too butthurt because it will never tarnish or delete the back catalogue.
    I’m of the same opinion as you. When I was younger I was chomping at the bit to see the newest Bond film. But these days maybe I’m more jaded or just fully realize that no matter what “incredible” film they give us next it will never soar to the heights that GF or YOLT or LALD or TSWLM or OP soared for me. Those films and most of the others from the classic period of Bond (the Cubby period) are just seared in my mind and that same magic just can’t be recaptured in this day and age. The world has changed too much. All the best Bonds are behind us. So if all of a sudden they stopped making these movies it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me. We already have more movies than any other franchise in movie history. 24 is more than enough. Hey, that’s also my favorite TV show :)
    You guys make some interesting points. I've been a fan since childhood but still get that buzz for a new film in a beloved franchise. The most excited I remember ever being coming out of a theatre was after GE. It really was a special experience. The PTS just blew me away - coolness personified. Since then, CR and SF have really impressed me as well, but not to the same extent. I really liked CR, but it didn't grab me emotionally like GE did. In fact, I'd say that SF probably had more of an impact on me.

So I think I can still be mesmerized by a Bond film, if it hits the right spots. I hope it happens again one day soon. This year it was Fallout which had that 'jaw drop' (*I must tell everyone about it*) effect on me.

Looking back on the catalogue though I really like the films pre-1989 the most. They are quite special to me and have the highest rewatch value. I don't really dislike any of them too much, so you have a point.

I was pretty thrilled after GOLDENEYE as well. After six long years the franchise returned and embraced the elements and formula that made Bond a success in the first place.
    I love the fact that the Brosnan era celebrated the cinematic Bond formula.
    As much as I love Craig, with each new film I've now grown accustomed to being disappointed with at least something: whether it be the gun-barrel, the film not concluding with Bond getting the leading lady, a lack of the Bond theme throughout, etc
    I expect there to be something in B25 that will piss me off as well. Never felt like that during the Brosnan era, yet there were times when his films seemed to force the formula.
    DAD was certainly the least favorite film as I left the cinema, but I daresay it felt more like a classic Bond film than, say QoS.
    The Bonds I watch the most are the 1962-89 Cubby era. The most variety in tone, style, thrills and humor, yet each is undeniably Bond.
    Part of what has made the Craig era (through his first 3) so special for me is that they have shaken things up and made the series feel unique and fresh, especially with CR and QoS focusing on Bond's earliest missions and not including Moneypenny or Q. SF I think hit a really nice balance between old and new, with some more classic Bond familiarity than Craig's first two, but still plenty of new ideas and elements to make it different.

With SP, I think they tried too hard to make it a classic-feeling Bond film, and it didn't always mesh with Craig's style so well. They forced the light-heartedness, classic elements, and storyline too much and it shows. It has some good moments to be sure but it lacks the energy and excitement Craig's first 3 brought to the table, as they are very unique films in the franchise. I'm hopeful Bond 25 can be as exciting and original as Craig's first 3. If it's to be a classic-type film, it hopefully will go over a lot smoother and also be more standalone than SP turned out.
    first one I saw at the cinema was TLD - awesome. GE was a massive disappointment after the end of the Cubby era.

QOS actually feels closer to the early Connery films in spirit than anything else since 1989 IMO. Short, fresh and breezy and not too hung up on the heritage or some psycho babble.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    TripAces wrote: »
    Some much needed Craig positivity: Even though Craig is not my favorite Bond he seems quite 'lovely' in this video and the kid is great, too. Just try to imagine your younger self meeting Bond... Mindblowing

I loved this moment but couldn't get past the enormous elephant in the room: what parents let a kid this young watch all of those Bond films? While about 75% of any Bond film (except for LTK and QoS) is pretty tame, the other 25% is completely inappropriate.

Wow mr. Parent here.

The bond films are fine for any child to watch.
  • Danny Boyle hints reason behind him quitting as Bond director was because he was 'hampered' by being such a 007 fan
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6127899/Danny-Boyle-hints-pulled-directing-25th-Bond-movie-big-fan.html

4FAC66BF00000578-0-image-a-8_1536013980028.jpg

It seems like an odd excuse but Boyle seems to be playing the diplomat. Though this interview was conducted days before Boyle exited. But it does hint at his reservation.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,619
    Although I think it’d be impossible for a Bond aficionado to write or direct a Bond film.
    No, it wouldn't. Christopher Nolan will show you that it's very much possible, Danny boy.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Shardlake wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    EoN have made many subpar Bond films and I'm not really buying giving them any slack. Irrespective of the cause for delays of the Craig era, the one thing this era has had over any other Bond era is time; and they've squandered it! EoN aren't some green production company, they're OGs in the game and quote frankly their outdated and to be frank rather silly and limiting business model is crushing any real potential for growth. I love the films that came before but I don't give a damn about that when it comes to the here and now and what's expected to come. Relying on past glories means nothing when they can't even get preproduction going properly with ample time twice in a row in the space of over half a decade.

When it comes down to it, EoN have a job to do, I'm not interested in people citing good work they've done before years ago, what about Now? It's often thrown about how EoN do well in cycles (which is a bs strategy in and of itself) and this whole rubbish about them needing more time will result in a better film which has also been proven to be nonsense. The simple fact is, they need to be doing a much better job. End of.

You seem to say this same thing over and over. I understand you're obvioulsy quite frustrated.

But for the foreseeable future, Barbra is going nowhere, so the very serious question I have for you @doubleoego is, without taking the piss: why are you still here? You're very upset and have expressed this many times, and you clearly have no faith in the future. So why not wash your hands of it all and move on? Enjoy the Bond films of the past, but give up until a re-cast? or until EoN is swallowed-up by a studio?

Why stick around in the present and remain so angry? This company, the producers, the lead actor, are no longer a part of your tastes.

And since Babs et al aren't going to leave, or change on your behalf, then what's the use of screaming into the wind?

I ask this with all sincerity.

I'm more concerned than I am angry and I'm here because I'm a fan. I'm interested in what the producers are doing with this movie series and i'm within my rights to comment, critique and criticise. However, with all the berating I give EoN one thing I always do is express their capability of doing and being better. It's within them and that's what's frustrating. I've never declared EoN as having no hope for future films; I've only expressed my opposition to their current lack of quality care and duty towards these projects even more so because of the experience they have. I'm not like some fans here who constantly give EoN a free pass. I'm not accepting that. Being a fan is more than just blind praise or constant criticism, there's a balance to it all that in the end offers some sort of belief and encouragement for better output. But I'm not subscribing to any excuses. My concerns and frustrations are not mine alone and if EoN aren't going to change, working this ever growing and increasingly saturated market and with the way they do things currently, before long the next documentary won't be about how Bond survived the odds but instead it'll be an inside look on what killed the Bond films. (Heaven forbid).

Babs will always get major points from me for CR, which is one of the high points of the seires. It was not an obvious decision to sack Brosnan nor to reboot the series nor to get rid of Moneypenny and Q nor to cast Craig, but she and MGW did all of that and the result speaks for itself.

Hear, hear!
    +1

Better make that 2

hMahGe8.jpg
    Danny Boyle hints reason behind him quitting as Bond director was because he was 'hampered' by being such a 007 fan
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6127899/Danny-Boyle-hints-pulled-directing-25th-Bond-movie-big-fan.html

4FAC66BF00000578-0-image-a-8_1536013980028.jpg

It seems like an odd excuse but Boyle seems to be playing the diplomat. Though this interview was conducted days before Boyle exited. But it does hint at his reservation.

Could allude to all sorts of things I suppose, such as Boyle not wanting to kill off Bond.

It's worrying really, as it suggests EON are planning on taking more liberties with the literary character than they have done already. Perhaps they haven't learnt their lessons from SP and brothergate after all.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If EON is attempting to kill off Bond then I hope MGM puts the kibosh on it. It's a moronic idea.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    If EON is attempting to kill off Bond then I hope MGM puts the kibosh on it. It's a moronic idea.
    +1
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    " The problem came in when they were making the final decisions about casting pre-production. Craig, 50, is known to have a hand in casting decisions made on the Bond films, and his name was included in the announcement that Boyle had quit. The source explained: ‘Craig has a big say in all the casting decisions. None of the Bond girls have been chosen without his say so."

I'm not sure whether I like or dislike this piece of information. Also, the commenters at DM seem to like *cough* Boyle quite a bit
    Astonishing how easily people believe all kinds of rumours….
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    +1

+2
    I wasn't allowed to watch the films before I was 8 or 9 myself, but knew about them from early age – especially through the fantastic artwork by Frank McCarthy, Robert McGinnis and Brian Bysouth on the covers of the VHS collection we had at home.
    Although I think it’d be impossible for a Bond aficionado to write or direct a Bond film.
    No, it wouldn't. Christopher Nolan will show you that it's very much possible, Danny boy.

*insert broken record joke here*
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Days free of Nolan directing assumptions. ( 0 )
    Days free of Nolan directing assumptions. ( 0 )

Should we add one for Aidan Turner as well
    Why can't EON, Craig, Boyle and Hodge behave like adults just for a minute, sit down for a talk and smooth out the differences between them and then continue where they left off 2-3 weeks ago? You know, for the fans?
    Why can't EON, Craig, Boyle and Hodge behave like adults just for a minute, sit down for a talk and smooth out the differences between them and then continue where they left off 2-3 weeks ago? You know, for the fans?

This I agree with, in the end it's 'just'a movie ;)
    I

Well we’re struggling to behave like adults here and we aren’t even making a movie.
  • RC7RC7
    ‘Doing it for the fans’, is the same as ‘negotiating with terrorists’. No deals.
    RC7 wrote: »
    ‘Doing it for the fans’, is the same as ‘negotiating with terrorists’. No deals.

Decisions by committee.
  • Why can't EON, Craig, Boyle and Hodge behave like adults just for a minute, sit down for a talk and smooth out the differences between them and then continue where they left off 2-3 weeks ago? You know, for the fans?

The 'doing it for the fans' arguments is obsolete as fans do not think with a collective mind and tastes differ.

However, there is merit in the argument that Eon should have done more to make the Boyle/Hodge situation work. Considering that they wanted to go down the auteur route, they should have given Boyle as long a leash as possible.

Now that we are two weeks from the announcement that Boyle had departed, I see Eon only have a few options:

1. Go back to Boyle and work on a compromise.

Possibly the best option as he was clearly interested enough in the first place after years of reticence. Eon would need to temper Craig and give Boyle more control. After all, Danny Boyle is the Oscar-winning director and Daniel Craig is only the incumbent actor in the role. With time running out, who better to direct the Boyle/Hodge script than Danny Boyle?

2. Hire a director they can bully into doing what they want.

This is where filmmakers such as Yann Demange, David Mackenzie or Jean-Marc Vallee come into play. All esteemed filmmakers but perhaps lacking the clout of a Danny Boyle. They will have their own visions, but Eon can push them around and get their desired result.

3. Go to a filmmaker they have worked with previously and has an affliction to the company.

This is probably the most desirable option for Eon. The last thing you want to do at this late stage is bring someone new on who may turn out to be a liability. Eon would surely want someone they understand and can work with. This is where names such as Martin Campbell, Marc Forster and Sam Mendes come into play.

4. Forget 2019 and delay to 2020

This is the most worrying option as a five-year delay could mean the box office prospects of another Daniel Craig film diminish. Also, audience interest will dissipate if Craig does return for his final outing and it may be commercially more appropriate to relaunch the series with a new actor committed to the series moving forward.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast

I kinda think the same. It is, after all, the 25th movie in a series that has tried a few different approaches along the way, with varying degrees of success. I can't imagine that Boyle, a lifelong fan, would be trying to do anything too radical, certainly nothing that would jeopardize the series going forward. Even if his vision had been a change of direction, you would still end up with a movie from a renowned director...and the whole thing is being rebooted next time with a new lead any way.

Drop the ego's and make the goddamn movie!

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2018 Posts: 7,979

This is the most worrying option as a five-year delay could mean the box office prospects of another Daniel Craig film diminish. Also, audience interest will dissipate if Craig does return for his final outing and it may be commercially more appropriate to relaunch the series with a new actor committed to the series moving forward.

True. A reboot for Nov 2020.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark

True. A reboot for Nov 2020.

Never going to happen. B25 will star Daniel Craig, even with a delay. Plus, I don't think a 2020 release will damage 25's box-office prospects. It all depends on the marketing, but people will be eager to see the last Craig's Bond movie even in 2020. The general audience doesn't even know about a potential delay.
    Hopefully it's not going to be a LTK - GE long gap. They better make it work, a.s.a.p. Also, I didn't know this little (nuanced) fact (2018):

Speaking with The Week, Dalton explained: “When [the next movie] did come about, it was probably four or five years later.

“[Broccoli] asked if I would come back, and I said, ‘Well, I've actually changed my mind a little bit. I think that I'd love to do one.“

‘Try and take the best of the two that I have done, and consolidate them into a third.’”
    Dalton continued: “And he said, quite rightly, ‘Look, Tim. You can't do one. There's no way, after a five-year gap between movies that you can come back and just do one. You'd have to plan on four or five.’

“And I thought, ‘Oh, no, that would be the rest of my life. Too much. Too long.’ So I respectfully declined.”

I kinda think the same. It is, after all, the 25th movie in a series that has tried a few different approaches along the way, with varying degrees of success. I can't imagine that Boyle, a lifelong fan, would be trying to do anything too radical, certainly nothing that would jeopardize the series going forward. Even if his vision had been a change of direction, you would still end up with a movie from a renowned director...and the whole thing is being rebooted next time with a new lead any way.

Drop the ego's and make the goddamn movie!

It's a bit disappointing that they couldn't agree on something to keep Boyle on board. It must have been a fairly major falling out. I am not a huge fan of the lead actor having such a big say in casting decisions. If you bring in someone like Boyle and he wants to cast a relative unknown then you trust his judgement otherwise what's the point of hiring him in the first place?

Mads Mikkelson is still the stand out villain of the Craig era IMO and he was not exactly a household name back on 06.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    MaxCasino wrote: »
    Two things that truly need to happen once Daniel Craig leaves, to make James Bond fresher. First get rid of Purvis and Wade. See my previous posts, for my opinions. Second, hire a action director, no more artsy drama directors.
    P.S. Where I get controversial: start adapting books not by Ian Fleming. I would rather that happen with new writers than a "original" screenplay by Purvis and Wade. I would say start with Colonel Sun, but P & W have already butchered the good material with it. My list for adaptations in no particular order. For Special Services, Icebreaker, Nobody Lives Forever for John Gardner. The Union Trilogy as a whole shot for one actor, filmed if possible, back-to-back-to-back style together. Also The Man With The Red Tattoo, all by Raymond Benson. Even though they aren't liked much, Devil May Care and Solo for the ending of a James Bond, but made modern. For a reboot, I would start with Carte Blanche. It's a good place for a new cinematic Bond to start. Sorry about my rambling, I didn't expect to go this far with this post. My opinions, at this point for me any writer for James Bond is fresher than Pervis and Wade. Take a chance EON!

@MaxCasino I agree that there is so much great stuff to mine from the non-Fleming books. Do we know why they haven’t done this? Is it because they don’t have the rights? Or because they only consider Fleming “canon”?

Probably because they're nowhere as good as Fleming's. Colonel Sun and possibly Trigger Mortis are the only ones I'd really like to see adapted to the big screen.