No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    Just seen the latest Widows trailer. Seems more action packed than everything McQueen has done before. He's talented, he's British...

You know what? Damien Chazelle would have done an incredible Bond movie, but he's american. This "we don't hire american directors" policy in 2018 feels so obsolete.
    matt_u wrote: »
    Just seen the latest Widows trailer. Seems more action packed than everything McQueen has done before. He's talented, he's British...

You know what? Damien Chazelle would have done an incredible Bond movie, but he's american. This "we don't hire american directors" policy in 2018 feels so obsolete.
    McQueen’s work is amazing but unfortunately he’s incredibly difficult to work with. I know this from personal experience. I can’t imagine him playing ball with Eon. He’s not a man who is ever willing to compromise.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2018 Posts: 5,921
    doubleoego wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    EoN have made many subpar Bond films and I'm not really buying giving them any slack. Irrespective of the cause for delays of the Craig era, the one thing this era has had over any other Bond era is time; and they've squandered it! EoN aren't some green production company, they're OGs in the game and quote frankly their outdated and to be frank rather silly and limiting business model is crushing any real potential for growth. I love the films that came before but I don't give a damn about that when it comes to the here and now and what's expected to come. Relying on past glories means nothing when they can't even get preproduction going properly with ample time twice in a row in the space of over half a decade.

When it comes down to it, EoN have a job to do, I'm not interested in people citing good work they've done before years ago, what about Now? It's often thrown about how EoN do well in cycles (which is a bs strategy in and of itself) and this whole rubbish about them needing more time will result in a better film which has also been proven to be nonsense. The simple fact is, they need to be doing a much better job. End of.

You seem to say this same thing over and over. I understand you're obvioulsy quite frustrated.

But for the foreseeable future, Barbra is going nowhere, so the very serious question I have for you @doubleoego is, without taking the piss: why are you still here? You're very upset and have expressed this many times, and you clearly have no faith in the future. So why not wash your hands of it all and move on? Enjoy the Bond films of the past, but give up until a re-cast? or until EoN is swallowed-up by a studio?

Why stick around in the present and remain so angry? This company, the producers, the lead actor, are no longer a part of your tastes.

And since Babs et al aren't going to leave, or change on your behalf, then what's the use of screaming into the wind?

I ask this with all sincerity.

I'm more concerned than I am angry and I'm here because I'm a fan. I'm interested in what the producers are doing with this movie series and i'm within my rights to comment, critique and criticise. However, with all the berating I give EoN one thing I always do is express their capability of doing and being better. It's within them and that's what's frustrating. I've never declared EoN as having no hope for future films; I've only expressed my opposition to their current lack of quality care and duty towards these projects even more so because of the experience they have. I'm not like some fans here who constantly give EoN a free pass. I'm not accepting that. Being a fan is more than just blind praise or constant criticism, there's a balance to it all that in the end offers some sort of belief and encouragement for better output. But I'm not subscribing to any excuses. My concerns and frustrations are not mine alone and if EoN aren't going to change, working this ever growing and increasingly saturated market and with the way they do things currently, before long the next documentary won't be about how Bond survived the odds but instead it'll be an inside look on what killed the Bond films. (Heaven forbid).

Babs will always get major points from me for CR, which is one of the high points of the series. It was not an obvious decision to sack Brosnan nor to reboot the series nor to get rid of Moneypenny and Q nor to cast Craig, but she and MGW did all of that and the result speaks for itself.
    echo wrote: »
    EoN have made many subpar Bond films and I'm not really buying giving them any slack. Irrespective of the cause for delays of the Craig era, the one thing this era has had over any other Bond era is time; and they've squandered it! EoN aren't some green production company, they're OGs in the game and quote frankly their outdated and to be frank rather silly and limiting business model is crushing any real potential for growth. I love the films that came before but I don't give a damn about that when it comes to the here and now and what's expected to come. Relying on past glories means nothing when they can't even get preproduction going properly with ample time twice in a row in the space of over half a decade.

When it comes down to it, EoN have a job to do, I'm not interested in people citing good work they've done before years ago, what about Now? It's often thrown about how EoN do well in cycles (which is a bs strategy in and of itself) and this whole rubbish about them needing more time will result in a better film which has also been proven to be nonsense. The simple fact is, they need to be doing a much better job. End of.

You seem to say this same thing over and over. I understand you're obvioulsy quite frustrated.

But for the foreseeable future, Barbra is going nowhere, so the very serious question I have for you @doubleoego is, without taking the piss: why are you still here? You're very upset and have expressed this many times, and you clearly have no faith in the future. So why not wash your hands of it all and move on? Enjoy the Bond films of the past, but give up until a re-cast? or until EoN is swallowed-up by a studio?

Why stick around in the present and remain so angry? This company, the producers, the lead actor, are no longer a part of your tastes.

And since Babs et al aren't going to leave, or change on your behalf, then what's the use of screaming into the wind?

I'm more concerned than I am angry and I'm here because I'm a fan. I'm interested in what the producers are doing with this movie series and i'm within my rights to comment, critique and criticise. However, with all the berating I give EoN one thing I always do is express their capability of doing and being better. It's within them and that's what's frustrating. I've never declared EoN as having no hope for future films; I've only expressed my opposition to their current lack of quality care and duty towards these projects even more so because of the experience they have. I'm not like some fans here who constantly give EoN a free pass. I'm not accepting that. Being a fan is more than just blind praise or constant criticism, there's a balance to it all that in the end offers some sort of belief and encouragement for better output. But I'm not subscribing to any excuses. My concerns and frustrations are not mine alone and if EoN aren't going to change, working this ever growing and increasingly saturated market and with the way they do things currently, before long the next documentary won't be about how Bond survived the odds but instead it'll be an inside look on what killed the Bond films. (Heaven forbid).

Babs will always get major points from me for CR, which is one of the high points of the seires. It was not an obvious decision to sack Brosnan nor to reboot the series nor to get rid of Moneypenny and Q nor to cast Craig, but she and MGW did all of that and the result speaks for itself.

Hear, hear!
    +1
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    TR007 wrote: »

Babs will always get major points from me for CR, which is one of the high points of the seires. It was not an obvious decision to sack Brosnan nor to reboot the series nor to get rid of Moneypenny and Q nor to cast Craig, but she and MGW did all of that and the result speaks for itself.

Hear, hear!
    +1

Better make that 2
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    If she'd gave Brosnan a final movie in 2004, she'd have even more points in my book.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Remington wrote: »
    If she'd gave Brosnan a final movie in 2004, she'd have even more points in my book.
    Quite. Poor Brosnan deserved his 'high' too no doubt.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    There's rumors that Babs didn't think much of Brosnan. Any truth to this?
    Remington wrote: »

It's a shame Brosnan had to have DAD as his last Bond film. His performance in this film is one of his better ones I feel, and it would have been interesting to see him in another film.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    She gets points for not giving him a 5th chance but that is just my view as I didn't like that era one bit.
  • Shardlake wrote: »

Hear, hear!
    +1

Better make that 2

Another one here.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 13,882
    TripAces wrote: »
    Some much needed Craig positivity: Even though Craig is not my favorite Bond he seems quite 'lovely' in this video and the kid is great, too. Just try to imagine your younger self meeting Bond... Mindblowing

I loved this moment but couldn't get past the enormous elephant in the room: what parents let a kid this young watch all of those Bond films? While about 75% of any Bond film (except for LTK and QoS) is pretty tame, the other 25% is completely inappropriate.

At 10, I wasn't that much older when I discovered Bond. Only 2 years.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I started watching Bond movies as early as 6. I ended up just fine. ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »

Hear, hear!
    +1

Better make that 2

Another one here.

And another...
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I was three when I saw the GF/DN double-feature at the drive-in and I never forgot the experience. And yes, it screwed me up good.

What was your initial impression/ which did you prefer?
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    Two things that truly need to happen once Daniel Craig leaves, to make James Bond fresher. First get rid of Purvis and Wade. See my previous posts, for my opinions. Second, hire a action director, no more artsy drama directors.
    P.S. Where I get controversial: start adapting books not by Ian Fleming. I would rather that happen with new writers than a "original" screenplay by Purvis and Wade. I would say start with Colonel Sun, but P & W have already butchered the good material with it. My list for adaptations in no particular order. For Special Services, Icebreaker, Nobody Lives Forever for John Gardner. The Union Trilogy as a whole shot for one actor, filmed if possible, back-to-back-to-back style together. Also The Man With The Red Tattoo, all by Raymond Benson. Even though they aren't liked much, Devil May Care and Solo for the ending of a James Bond, but made modern. For a reboot, I would start with Carte Blanche. It's a good place for a new cinematic Bond to start. Sorry about my rambling, I didn't expect to go this far with this post. My opinions, at this point for me any writer for James Bond is fresher than Pervis and Wade. Take a chance EON!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I was only four when I was first exposed to Bond. I never caused anyone problems, either. ;)
  • MaxCasino wrote: »
    Two things that truly need to happen once Daniel Craig leaves, to make James Bond fresher. First get rid of Purvis and Wade. See my previous posts, for my opinions. Second, hire a action director, no more artsy drama directors.
    P.S. Where I get controversial: start adapting books not by Ian Fleming. I would rather that happen with new writers than a "original" screenplay by Purvis and Wade. I would say start with Colonel Sun, but P & W have already butchered the good material with it. My list for adaptations in no particular order. For Special Services, Icebreaker, Nobody Lives Forever for John Gardner. The Union Trilogy as a whole shot for one actor, filmed if possible, back-to-back-to-back style together. Also The Man With The Red Tattoo, all by Raymond Benson. Even though they aren't liked much, Devil May Care and Solo for the ending of a James Bond, but made modern. For a reboot, I would start with Carte Blanche. It's a good place for a new cinematic Bond to start. Sorry about my rambling, I didn't expect to go this far with this post. My opinions, at this point for me any writer for James Bond is fresher than Pervis and Wade. Take a chance EON!

@MaxCasino I agree that there is so much great stuff to mine from the non-Fleming books. Do we know why they haven’t done this? Is it because they don’t have the rights? Or because they only consider Fleming “canon”?
    First Bond film I ever saw was the Christmas Day TV premiere of DAF in 1978 at the tender age of 5. To my embarrassment as I came to see subsequent Connery films on TV for the next few years I never immediately twigged it was the same actor as the 'old bloke who climbed through the roof and fell on the toilet'.

Probably like most teen fans nothing can eclipse that first time when you become a hardcore fan, collecting the films and the Fleming novels and buying up all the factual books on the film series and properly absorbing yourself in the mythology.

I think Bond actors and films which come after that first awakening - regardless of what generation we are from - will always suffer from undue criticism and a lack of emotional attachment.

The 6 year gap after LKT seemed like an eternity back in the day, I had really come to think we would never see another film but there were (and are) always the first 16 films to treasure. Whilst I'm appreciative we got more, like with the revived Dr Who, it's too distant and distinct from the original to be viewed as a continuation. They're nice optional extras, take them or leave them. I'll take the Craig films and leave the Brozza efforts but that's just my subjective opinion. I personally don't desperately need a 25th EON Bond film in my life but will be glad to have one if we get it.

That's not to say I'm a sycophant whom would settle for sloppy seconds or a rush job from EON. I absolutely want them to make the best film they can, make the film they want to make, but if it's not entirely to my favour I wont be too butthurt because it will never tarnish or delete the back catalogue.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,053
    MaxCasino wrote: »

@MaxCasino I agree that there is so much great stuff to mine from the non-Fleming books. Do we know why they haven’t done this? Is it because they don’t have the rights? Or because they only consider Fleming “canon”?

I imagine that the leaders of the cinematic Bond have more power than the literary Bond. I don't entirely think that Fleming is the only cannon for EON, as Spectre made Bond and Blofeld brothers, and lifted an entire scene from a non Fleming book: the torture scene is straight out of Colonel Sun. So much that Amis' estate was credited. I still think that The Union Trilogy (and possibly TMWTRT), could be filmed LOTR style, for one actor, possibly different directors and writers for each one.
    P.S. AVTAK owes a lot to John Gardner as much as Goldfinger: The elevator scenes.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I was four. Thunderball on TV. Bond punches the grieving widow. I've been doing the same since.

Not. Good.
    I was four. Thunderball on TV. Bond punches the grieving widow. I've been doing the same since.

Not. Good.

I see you at the same meetings wearing the same disguise but I swear I am there only for Mrs. Peacocks brownies and home made ice cream
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    P.S. AVTAK owes a lot to John Gardner as much as Goldfinger: The elevator scenes.
    No less the horse racing scheme, @MaxCasino, recalling Licence Renewed.

These kind of overlaps of content are inevitable over time. Sometimes it's better to do it in a deliberate, controlled way.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I was three when I saw the GF/DN double-feature at the drive-in and I never forgot the experience. And yes, it screwed me up good.

What was your initial impression/ which did you prefer?

Definitely GF. Not Bond so much, but Odd Job and his hat taking out Tilly, and Odd Job's death (along with the Golden Girl) were immediately seared into my brain. I'll never for get that. and being afraid of Odd Job and thinking that he was behind the screen. All I remember from DN was the black gloved hands and the de-radiation shower; and it took me a few years to realize where I had seen those bits (when I saw DN on television when I was 11 or so).

Interesting. Suppose it makes sense Goldfinger would leave more of an impression on a child that age.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,053
    No less the horse racing scheme, @MaxCasino, recalling Licence Renewed.

These kind of overlaps of content are inevitable over time. Sometimes it's better to do it in a deliberate, controlled way.
    From Wikipedia:
    Some key plot elements in Licence Renewed may have had some influence on subsequent Bond films; most notably Anton Murik's plot of a nuclear disaster with the aid of an infamous terrorist which was the basis of The World Is Not Enough. Other key elements from Renewed that appeared in future Bond films were Anton's cheating at horse racing, which Max Zorin did in A View to a Kill, and the obsession with weapons, not unlike Brad Whitaker in The Living Daylights.

I think EON liked John Gardener in the 80s more than they realized and would admit.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »

Not. Good.

I see you at the same meetings wearing the same disguise but I swear I am there only for Mrs. Peacocks brownies and home made ice cream

you're talking pot brownies-- correct??

And BTW-- first rule of grieving-widow-punching-- do not to talk about grieving-window-punching...
  • Cowley wrote: »
    First Bond film I ever saw was the Christmas Day TV premiere of DAF in 1978 at the tender age of 5. To my embarrassment as I came to see subsequent Connery films on TV for the next few years I never immediately twigged it was the same actor as the 'old bloke who climbed through the roof and fell on the toilet'.

Probably like most teen fans nothing can eclipse that first time when you become a hardcore fan, collecting the films and the Fleming novels and buying up all the factual books on the film series and properly absorbing yourself in the mythology.

I think Bond actors and films which come after that first awakening - regardless of what generation we are from - will always suffer from undue criticism and a lack of emotional attachment.

The 6 year gap after LKT seemed like an eternity back in the day, I had really come to think we would never see another film but there were (and are) always the first 16 films to treasure. Whilst I'm appreciative we got more, like with the revived Dr Who, it's too distant and distinct from the original to be viewed as a continuation. They're nice optional extras, take them or leave them. I'll take the Craig films and leave the Brozza efforts but that's just my subjective opinion. I personally don't desperately need a 25th EON Bond film in my life but will be glad to have one if we get it.

That's not to say I'm a sycophant whom would settle for sloppy seconds or a rush job from EON. I absolutely want them to make the best film they can, make the film they want to make, but if it's not entirely to my favour I wont be too butthurt because it will never tarnish or delete the back catalogue.
    I’m of the same opinion as you. When I was younger I was chomping at the bit to see the newest Bond film. But these days maybe I’m more jaded or just fully realize that no matter what “incredible” film they give us next it will never soar to the heights that GF or YOLT or LALD or TSWLM or OP soared for me. Those films and most of the others from the classic period of Bond (the Cubby period) are just seared in my mind and that same magic just can’t be recaptured in this day and age. The world has changed too much. All the best Bonds are behind us. So if all of a sudden they stopped making these movies it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me. We already have more movies than any other franchise in movie history. 24 is more than enough. Hey, that’s also my favorite TV show :)

• edited September 2018 Posts: 2,107
    I was four or five. Messed me up real good. Wasn't much older when I already saw mild movies like the first Robocop.

Anyway for me Craig's run has been 4/4.
    Shame about all the delays and behind the scenes mess.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I was four or five. Messed me up real good. Wasn't much older when I already saw mild movies like the first Robocop.

Anyway for me Craig's run has been 4/4.
    Shame about all the delays and behind the scenes mess.
    Messed me up real good

Messed YOU up real good?? You shanked me in Ms. Taylor's Junior Kindergarten class, you ass$#$#!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    On a serious note: because of the wonderful @4EverBonded , an original Bond fan-- there from the beginning....

She was courteous enough to invite me to read SirHenry's original thread.

I'd advise us all to take a peek over there.

You will be blown away. As I wrote on that thread:

"To all true Bond fans: please trust me: required reading. We may not all agree, but we are all fans, and look how this group of "originals" handled themselves.

There's just an amazing respect with this bunch of wonderful personalities (which, reading the B25 thread again today was shameful. Everyone has a right to their feelings and opinions, and not one poster said differently, not one-- until one did-- to create what??-- only he can answer).

This thread is polite discourse, and should be aspired to.

Wonderful fans; articulate, passionate and open".

When you have the time, please take a peek and look how it was done with class (not trying to whip up descent and "teams"; I haven't seen such respectful discourse too often, but these guys nailed it (they could teach Washington a thing or three about passionate debate)...

I hope you read their words, and the legacy they leave behind-- especially Sir Henry, who I'm learning was, and still is, a Legend.