No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The definition of the word "facts" seems to become looser by the day.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I believe @gideoneldude is stating that there have been times in the past when Babs has countenanced these media desires for a black Bond or a female Bond, even if in jest or to get the hounds off her trail.

I don't think she's ever said anything about a gay Bond though.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    I believe @gideoneldude is stating that there have been times in the past when Babs has countenanced these media desires for a black Bond or a female Bond, even if in jest or to get the hounds off her trail.

I don't think she's ever said anything about a gay Bond though.

As it applies to changing Bond to anything but a straight, white male, her comments are diplomatic politeness.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I applaud Boyle for sticking to his PPK and for ignoring Babs her idiotic reasoning. Sorry, but killing off Bond serves no purpose other than being egotistical. In my opinion she's been way over her head for years now and this to me is the final nail in the coffin. Babs and Craig both have been banging on about and wishing for a gay/female/black Bond and this way it could happen, by killing off the 'OG' Bond. Am I the only one to see this? Someone else needs to take over, a visionary, an easy example would be Nolan who could revamp the spirit of Bond, of Fleming. Whether it would take place in the 60s or present, but with a new actor as well. Bond needs change, not death.

You are aware that Fleming himself had considered killing Bond, aren't you?

You are aware that all those accusations towards Barbara Broccoli are lifted from tabloid journalism at best, aren't you?

Don't write off 'tabloid' journalism too fast, as it makes sense in the scheme of things and the 'revelation' is quite detailed. Some points I made about them wanting to change into a gay/female/black Bond are facts, mind you. I edited my post to 'IF true'.

News to me! Care to share links?

"I think the role could easily be played by a black actor, because the character created by Ian Fleming in the Fifties has undergone a great deal of evolution and continues to be updated," Craig told the Agi news agency.

"She (Broccoli) didn't go as far as to say that the next 007 will definitively be non-white and/or a woman, but she is very much open to it, saying "anything is possible."

"These films tend to reflect the times so we always try to push the envelope a little bit. Anything is possible. Right now it's Daniel Craig, and I'm very happy with Daniel Craig, but who knows what the future will bring?"

"Craig himself weighed in on the idea of a gay Bond three years ago after a torture scene in 2012’s Skyfall sparked speculation that his take on 007 might be bisexual. "
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don’t put much stock in EON walking away (although perhaps that’s wishful thinking), this feels to me like a bid to round out Craig’s tenure with a true sense of finality. Then with B26 theyll return with a new Bond and a new emphasis.

Although some in the know including this very site have said the idea of EON selling can't be dismissed as heresay I'm inclinded to think that BB & MGW are not selling.

I feel that like @RC7 says this more likely a chance to bring the Craig era to the end and EON to pick up with a new Bond and timeline.

I kind of hope they aren't quitting because as much as some of you are getting excited about the idea and the opportunities, this series without the guardianship of the original family who bought it to the world they won't see it in the same way.

What I'm saying be it WB with Nolan etc or whoever would win the bidding, the idea that Bond is unique and just standalone I'm afraid would likely be a thing of the past.

Anyone that pays for what is likely a pretty penny is going to want to stretch the brand and do others things outside of Bond films.

Look as much as I like Craig I would like to take SPECTRE down a back alley and give it a jolly good kicking and despair at how that last film went where it did, saying that I think our Mr Bond is in the safest possible hands it can be.

This series is unique in the fact it's run mostly by one particular family with assistance from a film studio, although they get far more say than anyone else would at a studio like say Nolan if he was handed the guardianship of it.

Fair enough if you are happy with this happening and see a brave new world for Fleming's new creation because even if Nolan is bought into shepherd this, maybe directing then producing and providing storylines with his brother or whoever. It's not Nolan who will be paying for it, he might be guiding it but the real decisons will be made whoever the studio is that acquires it, they'll be taking it and doing more than just main event and Nolan will have no power to stop even if he wants to.

It comes down to whether you want Bond to stay pure to itself or you don't because it slips out of the control of it's current guardians it will then be in the hands of those that won't be so precious with your beloved James Bond.

Just look at what happened with Star Wars and Disney, it won't be a small independent that will pony up the cash for 007 it will be one of the big boys and they won't be purchasing it just to make a film every 2 - 3 years, guaranteed they'll stretch the brand as far as they can irregardless of whether Bond actually lends itself to this or not.

So lets stop acting like spoilt children because we aren't getting our own as the situation under the control of others could drift so much far away what you perceive is Bond that the recent decision made by EON will be put in the shade.
    I applaud Boyle for sticking to his PPK and for ignoring Babs her idiotic reasoning. Sorry, but killing off Bond serves no purpose other than being egotistical. In my opinion she's been way over her head for years now and this to me is the final nail in the coffin. Babs and Craig both have been banging on about and wishing for a gay/female/black Bond and this way it could happen, by killing off the 'OG' Bond. Am I the only one to see this? Someone else needs to take over, a visionary, an easy example would be Nolan who could revamp the spirit of Bond, of Fleming. Whether it would take place in the 60s or present, but with a new actor as well. Bond needs change, not death.

You are aware that all those accusations towards Barbara Broccoli are lifted from tabloid journalism at best, aren't you?

Don't write off 'tabloid' journalism too fast, as it makes sense in the scheme of things and the 'revelation' is quite detailed. Some points I made about them wanting to change into a gay/female/black Bond are facts, mind you. I edited my post to 'IF true'.

"I think the role could easily be played by a black actor, because the character created by Ian Fleming in the Fifties has undergone a great deal of evolution and continues to be updated," Craig told the Agi news agency.

"She (Broccoli) didn't go as far as to say that the next 007 will definitively be non-white and/or a woman, but she is very much open to it, saying "anything is possible."

"These films tend to reflect the times so we always try to push the envelope a little bit. Anything is possible. Right now it's Daniel Craig, and I'm very happy with Daniel Craig, but who knows what the future will bring?"

"Craig himself weighed in on the idea of a gay Bond three years ago after a torture scene in 2012’s Skyfall sparked speculation that his take on 007 might be bisexual. "

Jesus Christ. Reading anything at all from these comments is beyond me. Also, Babs saying "Anything is possible" can't be counted as facts as far as them wanting to make Bond gay/female/black.
    I applaud Boyle for sticking to his PPK and for ignoring Babs her idiotic reasoning. Sorry, but killing off Bond serves no purpose other than being egotistical. In my opinion she's been way over her head for years now and this to me is the final nail in the coffin. Someone else needs to take over, a visionary, an easy example would be Nolan who could revamp the spirit of Bond, of Fleming. Whether it would take place in the 60s or present, but with a new actor as well. Bond needs change, not death.

Please keep in mind that this notion of Eon wanting to kill Bond came from THE SUN NEWSPAPER.

I am aware of that. It makes sense though and the Sun isn't always wrong...
    It makes sense that Boyle only agreed to do a Bond film if he could apply his own "great idea", and then quits because Eon tell him something new???

If I'm being frank, reality as it has unfolded over the past few years appears to be as crazy as made up rumours. Heck, even Cashley couldn't have made this $#!* up, as he himself states in one of his recent posts.

So let's wait and see what else is in store for us. Based on the evidence to date, the only thing we can reasonably expect is the unexpected.

LOL EON killing off Bond (if true) confirms to me they want to sell the franchise

It's no coincidence that Craig's top comments came in an interview which talked about Obama winning the presidency. Pure politics, just like his answer to the Bond question.

That means, of course, that people would have to not take his comments at face value. Which people continuously prove to be incapable of.

The same goes for the Bond being bi-sexual. He's not. That scene was just pure mind-games. Again, unless you just take it at face value.

There's no facts there, just interpretation of politically correct answers. Even if Daniel Craig wasn't Bond - if it were some other white man - the answers would still be the same. Because it'd be rude to say otherwise.
    echo wrote: »
    Fleming already gave us the perfect ending for Craig's Bond...the end of YOLT.

When in doubt, go back to Fleming. I'm pretty sure Babs is on the record as saying that, as is Cubby.

Lets hope this is true!!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2018 Posts: 4,043

Jesus Christ. Reading anything at all from these comments is beyond me. Also, Babs saying "Anything is possible" can't be counted as facts as far as them wanting to make Bond gay/female/black.

Have you ever thought that part of this is just placating people, the amount of flak BB or DC would get for saying vehmently this would not be the case.

The press seems obsessed with asking these questions all the time and you get yourself into dangerous territory when you suggest anything that challenges it.

The truth is that no one really knows what she is thinking and I think she's far more protective of it and has boundaries of where she'll take it but has to give the impression that she's open to this latest fad of taking the character away from what it was established as the publicity it would gain from the wrong answer wouldn't be good for EON.

Though fair enough if you want to use this as another reason to attack EON go ahead but the idea of doing something like this is far more likely to happen when another studio has the property than where it currently is now.

edited August 2018 Posts: 1,318

It's no coincidence that Craig's top comments came in an interview which talked about Obama winning the presidency. Pure politics, just like his answer to the Bond question.

That means, of course, that people would have to not take his comments at face value. Which people continuously prove to be incapable of.

The same goes for the Bond being bi-sexual. He's not. That scene was just pure mind-games. Again, unless you just take it at face value.

There's no facts there, just interpretation of politically correct answers. Even if Daniel Craig wasn't Bond - if it were some other white man - the answers would still be the same. Because it'd be rude to say otherwise.

If that's true then it should stop, as it makes a mockery of Bond(!) and Fleming in the first place. Indeed the media have a big role in this as well. Fleming was the man who gave us Bond, if you extrapolate that he's God within that universe and his vision was clear and Bond his heritage (along with countless details) are clear as crystal, too. I detest political correctness and some things shouldn't be meddled with, like frontrunner Babs potentially is able to do. We as Bond fans/followers/adepts are the ones who keep things in check and that I will do until the day they carry me to the grave.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,009

If that's true then it should stop, as it makes a mockery of Bond(!) and Fleming in the first place. Indeed the media have a big role in this as well. Fleming was the man who gave us Bond, if you extrapolate that he's God within that universe and his vision was clear and Bond his heritage (along with countless details) are clear as crystal, too. I detest political correctness and some things shouldn't be meddled with, like frontrunner Babs potentially is able to do. We as Bond fans/followers/adepts are the ones who keep things in check and that I will do until the day they carry me to the grave.

That's all well and good but unfortunately not realistic in the world we live in right now. They have to play the game. The negative reprecussions that would come from saying "no" to these things would be far too great.

Yes, Fleming would disapprove of the very notion of any of that. But Fleming isn't around anymore. That's not to say they should abandon him, au contraire. I don't want any of those things listed above for James Bond, ever.

But if the price of continuing to make Bond films is to play political correctness media-print warfare games, then that's the price we pay. I have many issues with Eon, but that most certainly isn't one of them.

That's all well and good but unfortunately not realistic in the world we live in right now. They have to play the game. The negative reprecussions that would come from saying "no" to these things would be far too great.

Yes, Fleming would disapprove of the very notion of any of that. But Fleming isn't around anymore. That's not to say they should abandon him, au contraire. I don't want any of those things listed above for James Bond, ever.

But if the price of continuing to make Bond films is to play political correctness media-print warfare, then that's the price we pay.

A very valid point, hurts to say, but it is what it is at the end of the day.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited August 2018 Posts: 308

But if the price of continuing to make Bond films is to play political correctness media-print warfare games, then that's the price we pay. I have many issues with Eon, but that most certainly isn't one of them.

That sounds like a slippery slope. Where will it end?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2018 Posts: 3,157
    TR007 wrote: »
    Don t forget, they originally wanted to end QOS with Bond seemingly killed by Mr White.

First I heard of this. Where did you hear that?

An alternative ending was shot. It is about a minute long and takes place after the ending we got. Bond meets Mr White who shoots him. Kind of like the end of FRWL, the novel. It was cut because the film makers where unsure if they wanted to go on with their plans for the third Craig film to be the end of a trilogy.

I never heard of this. The James Bond Archives or Some Kind of Hero would mention such a thing. The only alternative ending they shot had Bond kill Mr. White and interrogate Guy Haines.

Also, I can't see EON killing off Bond after he made only two movies (and I'm pretty sure Craig was contracted for a third film).

RE: Bond was hinted as bisexual in Skyfall

No, he wan't. He was mocking Silva and possibly reference the torture scene from Casino Royale. Period. Enough with BS. Don't watch movies if you're too stupid to figure out what's going on the screen.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I feel like the film will either go ahead as planned, with a last minute Mendes or Demange taking over directorial duties, or the thing will fall apart and Bond will go into hibernation while Craig leaves and EON sells up.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Isn't Mendes busy with another project?
    Walecs wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    Don t forget, they originally wanted to end QOS with Bond seemingly killed by Mr White.

First I heard of this. Where did you hear that?

An alternative ending was shot. It is about a minute long and takes place after the ending we got. Bond meets Mr White who shoots him. Kind of like the end of FRWL, the novel. It was cut because the film makers where unsure if they wanted to go on with their plans for the third Craig film to be the end of a trilogy.

I never heard of this. The James Bond Archives or Some Kind of Hero would mention such a thing. The only alternative ending they shot had Bond kill Mr. White and interrogate Guy Haines.

Also, I can't see EON killing off Bond after he made only two movies (and I'm pretty sure Craig was contracted for a third film).

RE: Bond was hinted as bisexual in Skyfall

No, he wan't. He was mocking Silva and possibly reference the torture scene from Casino Royale. Period. Enough with BS. Don't watch movies if you're too stupid to figure out what's going on the screen.

Making it personal are we? Flagged
    Jeffrey wrote: »

What about it is a slippery slope? To me, the real slippery slope would be actually implementing the changes suggested in the media.

It doesn't end because it's just politeness. Nothing more to it.
    This thread is a true yarn by now ;)

Do you think there's someone at EON reading all of this? At this point I don't know who's making the fool out of themselves, them or us. It's all very foolish. But then again, all people are.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

I just said Mendes as an example. It could be Demange or one of the others. Point is, either someone valiantly swoops in and saves the film as it is, or the whole thing goes **** up.
    Bond being killed is a pretty great idea in my opinion.

Remember Fleming did something similar twice! Bond 'dies' in the FRWL and YOLT novels. When he wrote both those novels, Fleming intended to stop writing the novels but he was tempted back due to popular demand and money.

FRWL: Later, in Paris, after successfully delivering Romanova and the booby-trapped Spektor to his superiors, Bond meets Rosa Klebb. She is captured but manages to kick Bond with a poisoned blade concealed in her shoe; the story ends with Bond fighting for breath and falling to the floor.

YOLT:Bond eventually kills Blofeld by strangling him with his bare hands in a fit of violent rage, then blows up the castle. Upon escaping, he suffers a head injury, leaving him an amnesiac living as a Japanese fisherman with Kissy, while the rest of the world believes him dead; his obituary appears in the newspapers.

The real question is how they execute this in the final film.

It could got for Dark Knight rises cop-out:

TheDarkKnightRisesEnding.jpg

...or go full Logan:

Death-of-Wolverine-in-Logan-movie.jpg

I just said Mendes as an example. It could be Demange or one of the others. Point is, either someone valiantly swoops in and saves the film as it is, or the whole thing goes **** up.

Time will tell. Not writing this film off just yet. Maybe they'll get the perfect no-nonsense action director on board, whoever that may be.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited August 2018 Posts: 308
    Jeffrey wrote: »

What about it is a slippery slope? To me, the real slippery slope would be actually implementing the changes suggested in the media.

It doesn't end because it's just politeness. Nothing more to it.

You're right of course, and it's way better then giving in to all those suggested changes. But... those suggestions will keep on coming and coming (with more and more pressure) if you don't push back at all I'm afraid.

But the current strategy is probably for the best.

Time will tell. Not writing this film off just yet. Maybe they'll get the perfect no-nonsense action director on board, whoever that may be.
    This is unlikely imho, due to their lead actor's preferences.
    Bond being killed is a pretty great idea in my opinion.

Remember Fleming did something similar twice! Bond 'dies' in the FRWL and YOLT novels. When he wrote both those novels, Fleming intended to stop writing the novels but he was tempted back due to popular demand and money.

FRWL: Later, in Paris, after successfully delivering Romanova and the booby-trapped Spektor to his superiors, Bond meets Rosa Klebb. She is captured but manages to kick Bond with a poisoned blade concealed in her shoe; the story ends with Bond fighting for breath and falling to the floor.

YOLT:Bond eventually kills Blofeld by strangling him with his bare hands in a fit of violent rage, then blows up the castle. Upon escaping, he suffers a head injury, leaving him an amnesiac living as a Japanese fisherman with Kissy, while the rest of the world believes him dead; his obituary appears in the newspapers.

The real question is how they execute this in the final film.

It could got for Dark Knight rises cop-out:

TheDarkKnightRisesEnding.jpg

...or go full Logan:

Death-of-Wolverine-in-Logan-movie.jpg
    If they kill Bond, even temporarily, I may have to consider contemplating what Craig said he'd do during the press rounds for SP.

This is really an idiotic idea imho, and played out. It's been rumoured to death (forgive the pun) in the media for over a year, so it won't be a surprise any more, but rather will be as tired as the Waltz isn't Blofeld shtick.
    bondjames wrote: »

This is unlikely imho, due to their lead actor's preferences.

I know, but as long as a replacement isn't confirmed (officially) I'll live in the hope that an action director might be chosen. ;-)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Maybe I’m just too negative, but I can’t shake this feeling that they’re not going to find a director. I just can’t foresee this film making the intended release date at all. Unless there is significant pressure coming from Universal/Annapuna, etc.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Maybe I’m just too negative, but I can’t shake this feeling that they’re not going to find a director. I just can’t foresee this film making the intended release date at all. Unless there is significant pressure coming from Universal/Annapuna, etc.
    A delay of a few months might be what saves this film. I'd be surprised if the current release date is kept.

@Thunderfinger Mr. White was never supposed to kill Bond in that alternate ending (Craig was indeed contracted for 3 films at the time). It was supposed to be the other way around, and the omission of that scene is what allowed White to return two films later.

EON are never going to kill Bond off, even if they end up selling.