No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited August 2018 Posts: 45,489
    TR007 wrote: »
    Don t forget, they originally wanted to end QOS with Bond seemingly killed by Mr White.

First I heard of this. Where did you hear that?

An alternative ending was shot. It is about a minute long and takes place after the ending we got. Bond meets Mr White who shoots him. Kind of like the end of FRWL, the novel. It was cut because the film makers where unsure if they wanted to go on with their plans for the third Craig film to be the end of a trilogy.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 19,339
    I’m thought if I posted that article things would kick off,and there are some seriously interesting and sensible theories on here now ... worryingly.

For me : Bond dies ? I won’t be watching it x I will stay at home and watch REAL Bond films by Connery /Lazenby/Moore/Dalton & Brosnan.

I don’t think I would be able to watch any CraigBond films ever again as I know he dies at the end of it all so what’s the point ?
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 9,730
    Regarding this "Craig hate", I think we can be a little careful throwing that term around. I'd hate for this forum to brand everyone that feels a recasting could be an opportunity at this point, as "Craig haters".

For me, I thought Craig ending his era with SP felt natural; both going in to the theatre, and definitely leaving the theatre. This is not because of my opinion of SP – a film I'm unlikely to ever fully enjoy, but because the film made an effort (as half-arsed at it was), to tie things from Craig's previous films together. That felt like a natural ending of an era to me, with Bond driving his DB5 off "into the unknown", with his girl by his side.

That's not to say I can't enjoy a final film with Craig in 2019 (hopefully!).

What I find interesting is that a small minority think Aidan Turner needs to be the next bond soooooooooooooooo bad that first they hated and made fun of all competitors then made fun of Daniel Craig and now it’s the producers fault so they need to be replaced.

I read the Spectre leaks and nothing shocked or surprised me nor do I feel the producers are incompetent or stupid. Again let’s look at Cubby and Harry everyone claims they are so brilliant but I still say luck had a lot to do with it that being said look at how the lost money because of Harry’s original idea to involve elephants in the climax of the man with the golden gun (something Cubby only found out about after Harry sunk money into it) of how the original script of Dr. No had he villain being a monkey... again the two of them had as much production woes as the “kids” do possibly more so because at least Eon doesn’t have to worry about Mclory showing up and sueing everyone (I’m sorry but the way the Spy who loves me plays out blofield being the villain makes ten times more sense when looking at the brutal nature of his death) again we had not one not two not three but four Americans nearly cast (Clint Eastwood Adam West John Gavin and James Brolin) again if the internet existed during those decades the field day people would have...

As for me I will remain hopeful Eon thinks they can get a director and release the film on time great.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I’m thought if I posted that article things would kick off,and there are some seriously interesting and sensible theories on here now ... worryingly.

For me : Bond dies ? I won’t be watching it x I will stay at home and watch REAL Bond films by Connery /Lazenby/Moore/Dalton & Brosnan.

I don’t think I would be able to watch any CraigBond films ever again as I know he dies at the end of it all so what’s the point ?

Death is not the end. Bond 26 can take place on the astral plane.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Don t forget, they originally wanted to end QOS with Bond seemingly killed by Mr White.

An alternative ending was shot. It is about a minute long and takes place after the ending we got. Bond meets Mr White who shoots him. Kind of like the end of FRWL, the novel. It was cut because the film makers where unsure if they wanted to go on with their plans for the third Craig film to be the end of a trilogy.
    I don't think that was the plan. It was to end with Bond kidnapping Haines and shooting Mr. White in a gunbarrel sequence.

I don't think that was the plan. It was to end with Bond kidnapping Haines and shooting Mr. White in a gunbarrel sequence.

I have read that as well. Who knows what really transpired in that scene? Shame it hasn t been released.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,965

Don't worry Bazza, the movie might never get made at this rate. EON might have to accept SP as their SWANSONG.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Then with B26 they’ll return with a new Bond and a new emphasis.

Who's "they"? In another few years MGW will be eighty and he hasn't been well for some time. I doubt he'll have much impact on Bond 26. Gregg does not seem remotely ready to come on as an apprentice producer, and Barbara does not seem that interested with the idea of Bond films without Craig. You could tell by how the Brosnan era was such a greatest hits package, that she doesn't really have a passion for the movies outside of what she has been able to do with Craig in the role. Even then, the repeated 4 year gaps seem to suggest that her passion is waning. That's not a hidden agenda, or "wishful thinking". She just doesn't seem as determined as Cubby was.
  • RC7RC7

Don't worry Bazza, the movie might never get made at this rate. EON might have to accept SP as their SWANSONG.

Who's "they"? In another few years MGW will be eighty and he hasn't been well for some time. I doubt he'll have much impact on Bond 26. Gregg does not seem remotely ready to come on as an apprentice producer, and Barbara does not seem that interested with the idea of Bond films without Craig. You could tell by how the Brosnan era was such a greatest hits package, that she doesn't really have a passion for the movies outside of what she has been able to do with Craig in the role. Even then, the repeated 4 year gaps seem to suggest that her passion is waning. That's not a hidden agenda, or "wishful thinking". She just doesn't seem as determined as Cubby was.

Cool.

Although it might/might not be true, how do you actually know this? Have you met them, or worked with them?
  • RC7RC7

Although it might/might not be true, how do you actually know this? Have you met them, or worked with them?

The internet told him.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

The internet told him.

He and Panchito share that crystal ball, it seems.
    @Mendes4Lyfe Well said. The more I think about it, the less I can imagine her producing Bond 26 without Craig and her brother.
  • I'd certainly go with Gareth Owen's idea that now is he the time for a female director. I'd go for Kathryn Bigelow.........great track record. I'm also hearing good things about Coralie Fargeat, though I haven't seen any of her work, I've got 'Revenge' on pre-order on dvd, out on 1/10 in UK
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,619
    I'd certainly go with Gareth Owen's idea that now is he the time for a female director. I'd go for Kathryn Bigelow.........great track record. I'm also hearing good things about Coralie Fargeat, though I haven't seen any of her work, I've got 'Revenge' on pre-order on dvd, out on 1/10 in UK
    Exactly. Without delaying the movie the best thing they can possibly do is hire a female director without a big ego. Instant positive press + she would execute EON's and Craig's vision without major arguments.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 8,009
    I'd certainly go with Gareth Owen's idea that now is he the time for a female director. I'd go for Kathryn Bigelow.........great track record. I'm also hearing good things about Coralie Fargeat, though I haven't seen any of her work, I've got 'Revenge' on pre-order on dvd, out on 1/10 in UK

Bigelow would be great. Fargeat made a great flick with REVENGE, but I'm not so sure she's right for Bond. I'd have to see what themes her follow-up flick would have, but the aforementioned film wasn't exactly subtle with its feminist themes and obviously that doesn't work for Bond.

I would love if Mimi Leder were to take on a Bond film. THE PEACEMAKER proves she can pull-off some large-scale action as well as make politics slick and interesting.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2018 Posts: 7,965

Well, what do you think? Does Gregg Wilson strike you as someone ready to take on a franchise like Bond in a main producer role? Maybe he is, but it would surprise me if he was, that's all I'm saying. I can't see Babs carrying on without Craig or MGW there, and with only Gregg for support. I wasn't thinking about it until Bazza shared that article about EON WANTING to kill of Bond, but Bond 25 could be their SWANSONG too, hence the one picture deal. And if this current development hell continues, which it could, the project could fall apart and EON might end up selling up anyway.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    There is also the MGM issue. Those fools will either be sold or IPO'd down the road, even if they didn't want to do it this year, which is reportedly why they sacked Barber. Remember that they don't even have a CEO at this point. Presumably they want to fill their coffers with the proceeds from B25 before hawking themselves. That at least suggests that we should get this film next year.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 17,241
    @Mendes4Lyfe What I think isn't important really; what I can't help but noticing, is the certainty you put in your comments. Gregg Wilson might be more than ready to come on as a apprentice producer for all you know, and Barbara might be more than ready for a post-Craig era. We simply don't know.
    How about Reed Morano?

She's just finishing up The Rhythm Section for Eon (which is due for release in February). She had a huge degree of buzz for the Handmaiden's Tale. I'm pretty certain she can deliver a good script and has years of experience as a cinematographer.

reed-morano-variety-facetime.jpg?w=1000

She's directed one feature film and has another in post (she's as experienced a director as Demange)

I would be fine with that I just want a director announced so we can go back to business lol
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    If it's true they were already building sets...

Do you think that they'd scrap the sets or try to figure out how to put them in the story a la SP?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,318
    IF true: I applaud Boyle for sticking to his PPK and for ignoring Babs her idiotic reasoning. Sorry, but killing off Bond serves no purpose other than being egotistical. In my opinion she's been way over her head for years now and this to me is the final nail in the coffin. Babs and Craig both have been banging on about and wishing for a gay/female/black Bond and this way it could happen, by killing off the 'OG' Bond. Am I the only one to see this? Someone else needs to take over, a visionary, an easy example would be Nolan who could revamp the spirit of Bond, of Fleming. Whether it would take place in the 60s or present, but with a new actor as well. Bond needs change, not death.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »
    If it's true they were already building sets...

Do you think that they'd scrap the sets or try to figure out how to put them in the story a la SP?

I would assume at this point, since the producers are going out to directors, that they're going out to them with the script they want to use. Namely the Hodge script-- which they own.

Writers will be brought on to polish this script, with the guidance of the new director (with usual input from producers/partners (EoN and Universal)).

The sets being built will not be forced into a "new" story/script. They will be from the existing script that they're going out to producers with.

And thus completes the circle...
    I applaud Boyle for sticking to his PPK and for ignoring Babs her idiotic reasoning. Sorry, but killing off Bond serves no purpose other than being egotistical. In my opinion she's been way over her head for years now and this to me is the final nail in the coffin. Someone else needs to take over, a visionary, an easy example would be Nolan who could revamp the spirit of Bond, of Fleming. Whether it would take place in the 60s or present, but with a new actor as well. Bond needs change, not death.

Please keep in mind that this notion of Eon wanting to kill Bond came from THE SUN NEWSPAPER.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Fleming already gave us the perfect ending for Craig's Bond...the end of YOLT.

When in doubt, go back to Fleming. I'm pretty sure Babs is on the record as saying that, as is Cubby.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I applaud Boyle for sticking to his PPK and for ignoring Babs her idiotic reasoning. Sorry, but killing off Bond serves no purpose other than being egotistical. In my opinion she's been way over her head for years now and this to me is the final nail in the coffin. Babs and Craig both have been banging on about and wishing for a gay/female/black Bond and this way it could happen, by killing off the 'OG' Bond. Am I the only one to see this? Someone else needs to take over, a visionary, an easy example would be Nolan who could revamp the spirit of Bond, of Fleming. Whether it would take place in the 60s or present, but with a new actor as well. Bond needs change, not death.

You are aware that Fleming himself had considered killing Bond, aren't you?

You are aware that all those accusations towards Barbara Broccoli are lifted from tabloid journalism at best, aren't you?
    I applaud Boyle for sticking to his PPK and for ignoring Babs her idiotic reasoning. Sorry, but killing off Bond serves no purpose other than being egotistical. In my opinion she's been way over her head for years now and this to me is the final nail in the coffin. Someone else needs to take over, a visionary, an easy example would be Nolan who could revamp the spirit of Bond, of Fleming. Whether it would take place in the 60s or present, but with a new actor as well. Bond needs change, not death.

Please keep in mind that this notion of Eon wanting to kill Bond came from THE SUN NEWSPAPER.

I am aware of that. It makes sense though and the Sun isn't always wrong...
    edited August 2018 Posts: 1,318
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I applaud Boyle for sticking to his PPK and for ignoring Babs her idiotic reasoning. Sorry, but killing off Bond serves no purpose other than being egotistical. In my opinion she's been way over her head for years now and this to me is the final nail in the coffin. Babs and Craig both have been banging on about and wishing for a gay/female/black Bond and this way it could happen, by killing off the 'OG' Bond. Am I the only one to see this? Someone else needs to take over, a visionary, an easy example would be Nolan who could revamp the spirit of Bond, of Fleming. Whether it would take place in the 60s or present, but with a new actor as well. Bond needs change, not death.

You are aware that all those accusations towards Barbara Broccoli are lifted from tabloid journalism at best, aren't you?

Don't write off 'tabloid' journalism too fast, as it makes sense in the scheme of things and the 'revelation' is quite detailed. Some points I made about them wanting to change into a gay/female/black Bond are facts, mind you. I edited my post to 'IF true'.

Don't write off 'tabloid' journalism too fast, as it makes sense in the scheme of things and the 'revelation' is quite detailed. Some points I made about them wanting to change into a gay/female/black Bond are facts, mind you. I edited my post to 'IF true'.

News to me! Care to share links?
  • peterpeter Toronto

Pardon?...