James Bond's 50th Anniversary - Your ideas and thoughts.

Comments

I concur on getting the actors together for either a sit down discussion about their experiences, all of them talking together or some kind of ceremony... that would be really cool.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Quoting Bounine: Yeah, I know the Aston model has been around for years, I mean that it's just
    something I should get around to buying one of these days.
    You dont own a Corgi DB5 Bounine!! And you call yourself a Bond fan? I'm shocked.
    ;;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Quoting The_Reaper: I concur on getting the actors together for either a sit down discussion about their experiences, all of them talking together or some kind of ceremony... that would be really cool.
    Connery retired from public life... :-(
    There is still the video link possibility DC007
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    Quoting barryt007:
    • There is still the video link possibility DC007

With his relationship with Eon? Doubtful, sadly.
    :-(
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Maybe Daniel Craig can donate his salary for B23 to Connery... Conners could be tempted that way.
  • Re Connery's refusal to participate in any get-together of all the Bond actors, when Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig have all apparently agreed to it. Why is it, with some actors and actresses, that they choose to turn their backs on the role that rocketed them to stardom? Connery is, for my money, still the best of all the Bonds; he's also a damn fine actor whose career has encompassed many notable and memorable parts. But, in his heart of hearts, does he REALLY believe he'd have got past bit-actor status without the international catapult that was Bond? If he does, he may just be deluding himself. And even if he had made it without Bond, I wonder how many more years he'd have to have waited before big-time fame came knocking? His refusal to participate in the 5oth Anniversary celebrations is a kick in the teeth for all his loyal fans down the years, as well as being a display of supreme arrogance. I'm sorely disappointed in the man.
    I concur. Shame, really.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Quoting Purplecipher: His refusal to participate in the 5oth Anniversary celebrations is a kick in the teeth for all his loyal fans down the years, as well as being a display of supreme arrogance. I'm sorely disappointed in the man.
    I don't like to pass negative comments on a man that old when he prefers not to engage in anything any more.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 2,598
    "You dont own a Corgi DB5 Bounine!! And you call yourself a Bond fan? I'm shocked.
    ;;) "

Yes, shame on me for labelling myself a Bond fan! LOL.

I'm still yet to own the Bond flicks on DVD too with the exception of CR. Still watching the good ol' VHS's laced with the subtle crackling and silvery lines! Well, the thing is, I move around a bit in terms of where I live and work so this is why I haven't bought the whole box set yet. Those VHS flicks certainly don't travel with me. Must get the box set soon though and a generous sized DVD wallet for all my films.

All right, back on topic...
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 2,598
    Quoting The_Reaper: "I concur on getting the actors together for either a sit down discussion about
    their experiences, all of them talking together or some kind of ceremony... that
    would be really cool"

Yeah, this is a good idea. I've always enjoyed watching Timothy Dalton being interviewed, partly because I love his take on Bond.
  • Personally, i feel Big Sean has earned the right, at 80, to step back from public life without people like us on such forums like these questioning him.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    One worrying aspect for the proposed celebrations would of course be the possible demise of a central figure such as Sean Connery. If that happened in 2012 it would sour the celebrations substantially.
    On a happier note I would love to see a documentary on TV compiled of nothing more than 6 interviewees (you know which 6) taken down the years, from early Connery interviews on the Bond sets, right up to recent interviews with all the actors. just to give us an idea of their thoughts, feelings, regrets etc.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I think there should be an international TV Bondathon, with drinking game instructions posted through the letterbox of every address. The result? The ultimate Bond celebration... :p
    Well the 2 hour documary of the Annirversary presented by any Bond cast or the producers. Now the merchaise a 50th Anninversary Book of James Bond only the officals movies. Model cars either by Corgi or Minichamps current diecast cars on Bond. All of the cars he drove. Well that from me. ;-)
    What would be good it to find a replacement to Roger Moore. He's the only Bond to constantly talk about, praise, promote the Bond films. When he will be gone, who will be the main 'promoter', main 'image' of James Bond? Connery is a big no, Lazenby hasn't commented on Bond in years, Dalton is not a world star, Brosnan is bitter and angry at EON, and Craig hasn't talked a lot about past Bond's in his interviews since 2006.
    Bond 23 should re-introduce Moneypenny & Q as it's the 50th. So we would have the whole family back.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Quoting jerome007: Bond 23 should re-introduce Moneypenny & Q as it's the 50th. So we would have the whole family back.
    Yes, that'd be rather nice if it happened, wouldn't it?

Something tells me they're not really going in that direction, though...
    Well, Daniel Craig himself has said he wants Q and Moneypenny back, but that they should be re-introduced in a similar way that they were back in Dr. No and FRWL. I'd agree with this, and I'm sure the filmmakers are taking this approach into serious consideration.
    Quoting Bond: Well, Daniel Craig himself has said he wants Q and Moneypenny back, but that they should be re-introduced in a similar way that they were back in Dr. No and FRWL.
    That is true, yes. But while Craig is the Bond actor of the day and has a good degree of creative input into every Bond film in which stars, they won't be taking their cues from him, nor should they either...
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 503
    True enough, and I actually wouldn't mind if they kept Q and Moneypenny out of the Craig era, and just reintroduce them with the next actor. It might work better that way anyhow. I don't think they're going to ignore these staple characters indefinitely.
    Quoting jerome007:
    Bond 23 should re-introduce Moneypenny & Q as it's the
    50th. So we would have the whole family back.
    Well I did make a thread on this didn't I? They should come back for our sake
    Quoting Bond: I'd agree with this, and I'm sure the filmmakers are taking this approach into
    serious consideration.
    I hope so myself. The regret it if they don't bring them back.
    Quoting Bond:
    True enough, and I actually wouldn't mind if they kept Q and
    Moneypenny out of the Craig era, and just reintroduce them with the next actor.
    It might work better that way anyhow. I don't think they're going to ignore
    these staple characters indefinitely.
    Don't make Craig Bond be Monepennyless or Q less. They should be in Bond 23 after 2 Bond movie absent.
    I just think DC deserves his own MP & Q. Every previous Bond has had them. I understand the need for the re-boot of his character and concentrating fully on Bond, but his only interaction so far has been with M. Also doesn't seem right to leave them out in his era and bring them back for the next actor. And a great way to celebrate the 50th.
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690

If Formula One managed to bring together 18 (!) out of 21 World Champions still alive today for F1's 60th anniversary, I'm sure EON could work something out...
    edited April 2011 Posts: 23,524
    Quoting jerome007: I just think DC deserves his own MP & Q. Every previous Bond has had them. I understand the need for the re-boot of his character and concentrating fully on Bond, but his only interaction so far has been with M. Also doesn't seem right to leave them out in his era and bring them back for the next actor. And a great way to celebrate the 50th.
    Said interactions with M have furthermore been dull - often annoying - to say the least. A good moment with either MP or Q or both would be more than welcome. But, as I've said before, they cannot overstay their welcome. When it becomes comedy for comedy's sake, when subtleties are lost in being a mere slave to formula, Q and MP can inflict pure irritation on us.

I recall one very good DAF scene since OHMSS: GE. The rest were okay, to some point, but we tend to be very apologetic towards sweet Lois. Daltonites generally conspire to be nice to Caroline too because she was purely part of the Dalton Era. I'm a Daltonite, by the way. ;;) Samantha went from one of the best Bond - MP dialogues ever, in GE, to arguably the very worst MP scenes in all of history, DAD.

As for Q, now there's the real challenge. Q = Desmond. It's a law of physics. Cleese didn't feel all that bad IMHO, perhaps because DAD needs to treasure its few "okay" moments, but he wasn't Desmond. Hence, Q's a mystery to me. Will they ever be able to bring back Q, simultaneously honouring Desmond and labouring hard not to (try to) be a carbon copy of the man? I wonder. Here's one of the few things I find a big Bond related mystery.
    I read in Roger's book that Connery didn't show for Cubby's funeral. I'll be shocked if he shows for this.

The idea about releasing past films is an idea I can get behind.
    Quoting Moonraker: I read in Roger's book that Connery didn't show for Cubby's funeral.
    Probably because Cubby refused to pay the royalties Connery felt were entitled to him for every Bond movie EON would make without him.
    "But, as I've said before, they cannot overstay their welcome. When it becomes comedy for comedy's sake, when subtleties are lost in being a mere slave to formula, Q and MP can inflict pure irritation on us."

Yeah, like in the Brosnan era. They must be careful with this.

I didn't like that Rory chap who played Tanner in QOS. Much prefer the chap in GE and TWINE.

@DarthDimi If the memory of Desmond Llewelyn hangs too heavily over Q, perhaps the character could be brought back as a younger man (no more than middle-aged) and be referred to as Major Boothroyd only. And then, when established one or two flicks down the line, he could take on the moniker of Q - as happened with Llewelyn's character originally, of course...
    Quoting St_George: @DarthDimi If the memory of Desmond Llewelyn hangs too heavily over Q, perhaps the character could be brought back as a younger man (no more than middle-aged) and be referred to as Major Boothroyd only. And then, when established one or two flicks down the line, he could take on the moniker of Q - as happened with Llewelyn's character originally, of course...
    You make a valid point, SG! A younger Major Boothroyd could provide sufficient contrast to the legendary Desmond Llewelyn. Glad you mention it; gives me an extra option to leave open.

Quoting Bounine: Much prefer the chap in GE and TWINE.
    You won't find me disagreeing. Michael Kitchen was brilliant as Tanner, IMO.